http://gamingtrend.com
September 17, 2014, 07:55:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Impressions  (Read 48002 times)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 22, 2006, 09:38:52 PM »

Oh yeah, and the map sucks a big one!  Please tell me I'm missing something and there is an option to zoom in or out of the top level map.  Otherwise the area it shows is way too small and results in scrolling around madly to check out other areas of the province.  There optimally should be a providence-wide view.
StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 22, 2006, 09:42:40 PM »

I hear you on some of your nitpicks Kevin, the biggest one for me is the map and not having a country wide map.  As far as not finidng peopl, at night i find that if I really want to find them, I can wait for 6hours by just hitting the back button.  Otherwise i run off and do something else until it's daylight again.
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 22, 2006, 09:43:20 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Oh yeah, and the map sucks a big one!  Please tell me I'm missing something and there is an option to zoom in or out of the top level map.  Otherwise the area it shows is way too small and results in scrolling around madly to check out other areas of the province.  There optimally should be a providence-wide view.
Agreed, why can't you zoon in and out on the online map?

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 22, 2006, 09:56:50 PM »

Quote from: "Scoop20906"
Agreed, why can't you zoon in and out on the online map?

Heh.. that's actually my only "big" complaint about the game.  biggrin

I do see the graphics issues that others are noticing on the 360 at least, and I can understand how some people notice it more than others.  If you're the type like me who subconsciously picks apart special effects sequences in films, you're probably a very detail-oriented visual type, and these things just jump out at you.

The game is drop-dead gorgeous, just with some flaws here and there that are more apparent than normal precisely because of how fantastic everything else is.

Whoever posted those screenshots earlier (I forget) showing the pc "max" settings and then the results of tweaking the INI is making me wish I had a pc powerful enough to run this with the tweaked settings.  biggrin  I'll stick with the 360 for now though, much more affordable!

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 22, 2006, 10:47:58 PM »

Quote from: "StitchJones"
 As far as not finidng peopl, at night i find that if I really want to find them, I can wait for 6hours by just hitting the back button.  Otherwise i run off and do something else until it's daylight again.

Actually, I'm talking about during daylight!  I've been looking for the stupid guild leader since approx 8am gametime! (It should be noted that I'm not technically *stilll* looking since the search has been suspended while I'm at work).
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 22, 2006, 11:04:35 PM »

Yeah, I ran into this last night - I was doing the quest where you need to track the shopkeeper to a couple of places (and then somebody else) and almost shut the game off.

So I have no idea when this dude's shop closes so I wait.  And wait some more.  I finally hit the back button and start skipping ahead 2 hours at a time, only to have accidentally jumped past the time he left and miss him completely.  I eventually reload and get to the right time to track him, only to have him stop at a bar to get really sloppy drunk for 3 hours.  So the same thing happens - wait, oh shi... reload, wait some more... follow him to a different spot etc.

It's kind of a minor annoyance in the grand scheme of things, but seeing how I wasted 45 minutes on that stupid quest and a lot of that time was spent reloading trying to figure out when the person was going to go somewhere it was extremely irratating.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 22, 2006, 11:07:11 PM »

Quote from: "Dimmona"
Yeah, I ran into this last night - I was doing the quest where you need to track the shopkeeper to a couple of places (and then somebody else) and almost shut the game off.

So I have no idea when this dude's shop closes so I wait.  And wait some more.  I finally hit the back button and start skipping ahead 2 hours at a time, only to have accidentally jumped past the time he left and miss him completely.  I eventually reload and get to the right time to track him, only to have him stop at a bar to get really sloppy drunk for 3 hours.  So the same thing happens - wait, oh shi... reload, wait some more... follow him to a different spot etc.

It's kind of a minor annoyance in the grand scheme of things, but seeing how I wasted 45 minutes on that stupid quest and a lot of that time was spent reloading trying to figure out when the person was going to go somewhere it was extremely irratating.

That reminds me of the quest where you have to watch and wait for that one guy in the starting town in Morrowind to go to his "hiding spot" and hide so-and-so's ring there.  Man, that took ages.  However, it's still nifty that you can do that kind of a quest, and it's not like we HAVE to.  biggrin

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 23, 2006, 12:52:14 AM »

Anyone else notice the noise their 360 makes when playing this game?  I remember playing PGR3 and GRAW and thinking to myself that the people who complained about how loud their 360's are must have really sensitive hearing.

But listening to my 360 while I play Oblivion actually worries me.  It's LOUD.  Maybe because it uses more of the HD or something?  Or am I just being paranoid here?

Found myself in a middle of a quest at a point where I thought there was no way a quest would happen; it was pretty cool.  I keep wanting to go through the main quest, but side-quests and other cool stuff keep popping up that I want to do more!  10 hours in and still haven't done anything pertaining to the main quest.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 23, 2006, 01:16:16 AM »

Well, since we're on a bit of a roll with complaints, I'll add mine.  I can't aim for shit, and it's really irritating me to no end.  With the exception of those slower than snail crabs, I can't hit a thing if it moves.  If I am going to continue playing this game on the 360, I am pretty sure I need to rethink my character concept.  Fighting Monk with enhancement spells that require no aiming whatsoever is sounding pretty good.   :?

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 23, 2006, 01:17:38 AM »

I was really looking forward to experiencing that first view of the bright and shining world after the sewers. Imagine my disappointment to come out in the middle of the night.

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: March 23, 2006, 02:19:34 AM »

So anyone here with a p4 3.0, 6800GT 256mb, and a gig a ddr running this puppy? I need to work out some little issues with my PC, but this might force me  to do it faster.  :wink:If so, how`s it run?
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #211 on: March 23, 2006, 02:42:24 AM »

Why the hell are Axes still Blunt weapons?  I was pretty sure Bethesda had been mocked hard enough to insure this would be changed back to something halfway sane, but apparently not.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #212 on: March 23, 2006, 02:46:14 AM »

Well, just picked up my first 'perk' if you will. Got Sneak up to 50 (love being a sneaky bastard - more stories on that later), and now the weight of my shoes no longer affect my Sneak skill. Makes sense, now that I think about it - heavier shoes would be harder to sneak around in.

Thankfully I've been in Light Armor all my time now, so it really didn't affect anything as it was.

But now for my story.

So I'm wandering around north of Chorrol (optional quest line), and I encounter this cave halfway to my quest goal. For the heck of it, I dive right in.

Inside are some sort of
Spoiler for Hiden:
Troll and Ogre
mobs, waiting and ready to kick my level 4 ass. And quite capable as well (as I rudely find out). Eventually, I learn how to take on the first mob type, but the second was still a near-guarenteed kill on my Khajiit self.

I finally find another way into the area I'm wandering in (getting some nice loot in the process), and I sneak past multiple of the second type mobs. It's a bunch of tense filled seconds, as I come almost within melee range of a few mobs. But nobody is detecting me.

I eventually kill a few more of the first mob types, and as I continue to sneak around, I notice that something somewhere has detected me (the shady eye has brightened up completely). I spin around, but nothing is there. None of the guys I passed by earlier are looking my way either.

So I wearily begin to back out and make note of my escape routes. About a minute later, this
Spoiler for Hiden:
Minotaur, I think
comes charging my way, ready to take my head off.

At this point, I run for the zone border. Not only do I not want to chance things, but he has friends. And they all look as mean as him.

So I 'zone' out into another part of the cave. I take a quick breather, before realizing that my opponents have followed me. I continue my run (with a threesome now hot on my heels) like mad until I hit the dungeon exit, having many close scrapes with death due to me not knowing how to get out exactly.

Finally I zone out into the night air. I jump onto my waiting horse and speed off into the darkness, not even waiting to see if I was still followed.

It was at this point that I've come to realize that Oblivion is the best RPG I've ever played. The feeling of total impending doom nipping on my heels, knowing that I was just a wrong turn away from death, was amazing (once I knew I'd survived, anyway).

Now back to the game. biggrin

Kathode, let the rest of your team know what a game they've created. Words alone can't describe how much I love Oblivion.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 23, 2006, 03:17:59 AM »

Anyone else bothered by the quick travel system?  If you choose to use it, you will wind up going city to city without ever seeing the vastness and the beauty of the game.  It doesn't make sense to make a game of this magnitude and then give you the option to bypass everything that we've all been oohing and aahing over for so long.

I may could understand if you could quick travel to places you've been before, but it's insanse to let you quick travel to a place for the first time.  How many people are using it and how many people are like me and have decided to walk/ride horses so we can appreciate the game?

I'm really surprised no one else is bothered by this.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 23, 2006, 03:24:07 AM »

So anyone here with a p4 3.0, 6800GT 256mb, and a gig a ddr running this puppy? I need to work out some little issues with my PC, but this might force me to do it faster. :wink:If so, how`s it run?

Wow if it didn't we'd all be in some serious trouble! I'm running on a sempron 1.99ghz 1.5gb ram and x1300 256mb and it runs fine, since yours is probably twice as good as that, you should have no problems at all.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 23, 2006, 04:19:47 AM »

Quote from: "The_Man"
Anyone else bothered by the quick travel system?  If you choose to use it, you will wind up going city to city without ever seeing the vastness and the beauty of the game.  It doesn't make sense to make a game of this magnitude and then give you the option to bypass everything that we've all been oohing and aahing over for so long.

I may could understand if you could quick travel to places you've been before, but it's insanse to let you quick travel to a place for the first time.  How many people are using it and how many people are like me and have decided to walk/ride horses so we can appreciate the game?

I agree with you about quick travel.  Very early in the main quest you have to travel a long distance between citys without a horse.  I saw that I could quick travel there but decided to walk.  It took me almost 2 days of game time to make the trip.  But I enjoyed every minute.  I suspect that late in the game the quick travel option will be more appealing though.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 23, 2006, 04:25:52 AM »

I am not bothered by this at all. I am glad they gave you a chocie. Someone on the offical forums mentioned needing a mod to remove the auto attempt from lockpicking. I told him that it was unneeded as well. BOTH are OPTIONS. You don't have to fast travel and you don't have to auto-attempt. If people can't control their own actions, why should I suffer? Yes the countryside is nice now, but when you take the same run for the 5th time, you might want fast travel available. It's really no different then the silt striders from MW, except you have it avauilable all the time...
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 23, 2006, 04:27:57 AM »

There's already a mod out there that turns it off, so some people don't like it.  But I don't think even people who don't want to use it see it as a big deal, since you can always just... not use it smile  The quests that take place exclusively in towns are the minority by far, so you'll find yourself wandering the wilderness quite a bit one way or another whether you're strict about not using fast travel or whether you use it whenever possible.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 23, 2006, 04:54:35 AM »

I haven't used fast travel even once so far.  I'm sure I'll want to use it eventually, but for the moment, I enjoy exploring the countryside and poking through any curious ruins I encounter.

-Autistic Angel
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 23, 2006, 05:13:24 AM »

Haven't used it yet either, mainly because I don't know how. (Never gave it a second though until now.) Some of the traveling takes a long, long time, especially if you don't have a horse.
Honestly I was getting tired of holding down the "w" key for so long at a time to keep moving (probably a little better on the 360, but then you guys are going to miss out on all the geat mods like companion NPCs, etc.)  but yeah I can see if you do the quick travel thing you're going to miss out on a lot of great views.
The Oblivion world in a word, is simply HUGE! It almost feels like a MMORPG, but in singleplayer instead. I really wish I could hire a mercenary or companion to come with me (gets pretty lonely) but even still, has to be one of the best games I've played.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 23, 2006, 09:25:23 AM »

There's just a certain feeling of satisfaction from nailing a goblin with a power attack and watching them bounce off a wooden support post while their weapon and shield go flying.

<sighs>

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 23, 2006, 11:48:18 AM »

I think I just came upon a vampire town.  I was there during the day and the village folk where just down right nasty to me.   Told me to get out of town.  They got extremely upset when I visited the town churh,  I couldn't stay as I had other objectives.  The Town is now on my must investigate later list.

Simply awesome game

Destructor I know the cave and I the
Spoiler for Hiden:
trolls
I could deal with, but the
Spoiler for Hiden:
Orges
wtfpwned me.   I will be back to finish them

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 23, 2006, 12:43:50 PM »

Quote from: "Soulchilde"
I think I just came upon a vampire town.  I was there during the day and the village folk where just down right nasty to me.   Told me to get out of town.  They got extremely upset when I visited the town churh,  I couldn't stay as I had other objectives.  The Town is now on my must investigate later list.

Simply awesome game

I believe the town you are mentioning is Hackdirt or something like that?

And as far as satisfaction....I was ni the ruins that are right outside the sewer exit.... if any of you have not done them yet... WTF are you waiting for, they are incredible!  So I was sneaking around and I noticed a bandit.  I couldn't really see in to the room to know what the layout was but I had to take out the bandit to advance, so I nock an arrow and let it fly.  I do triple damage and the impact sends the bandit reeling...(it was poisoned as well) and the bandit goes flying over a railing and falls about 20 feet.  Made quite a satisfying thud.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 23, 2006, 12:57:03 PM »

Very rarely do I play a game for 7 hours the day I get it...even more rare is playing another 7 hours the next day.  For this guy who simply couldn't stand Morrowind (but always *wanted* to like it), Oblivion just seems to have that certain SOMETHING and I've been trying to figure out what it is.

Maybe it's because things are actually happening.  I mean, totally random quests, including a quest in which I had no IDEA what I was getting myself into; a total, what the HECK is going ON moment.

Maybe it's nailing an unsuspecting troll in the back of the head with an arrow only to watch him crumble over a railing down into a pit below. *edited to add* (I think Arkon and me had the same incredibly cool physics moment!)

Perhaps it's because they just NAILED the environment.  As I was traveling from Barma (or whatever its called, the northern city) to the Imperial City, I was walking along a winding road down a hill and it looked just like an area in which I lived in real life.  It was beautiful.

I just can't get this game out of my head - while driving, I look to the side of the road and see herbs that I could be picking to mix into potions and sell, I play the game on a headset with Calvin (because we're gay like that) and hearing his reaction to stuff in the game is as fun as my own reaction to cool stuff going on.

And it's just so weird, the fact I am really engrossed in this game.  The exploration reminds me of Shadow of the Colossus.  I mean, just coming across totally random stuff, it's amazing.  

And to be honest, I dislike games like this, as a rule!  I like LINEAR stuff, I LOVE hand-holding; why in the world am I so enthralled by the extreme open-endedness of Oblivion?

And I haven't even started the main quest yet!

So even while I'm not entirely sure how much longer Oblivion will continue to captivate me, or if I'll even come CLOSE to finishing the main quest; the first 14 hours of gameplay in Oblivion were pretty special to me.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 23, 2006, 01:18:30 PM »

Thats the town Arkon

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: March 23, 2006, 01:20:59 PM »

Anyone figured out a way yet to cancel when you've pulled an arrow back?  I've tried everything I can think of and the only way seems to be to just shoot it at nothing.

I played again last night and am just enjoying the hell out of it.  I decided to test how the NPCs travel.  I had a quest to go to a distant city to find a person.  I get there and when I deliver the news to this person, they decide to go visit that person in the original town.  So, I followed that person to see if they really travel there.  They do.  It took a while, but I followed him almost all the way to the original town.  I say "almost" because something very bad happened.

I got a dirty disc error. So, I pulled the disc out and looked at it and it was fine.  Put it back in and I got some error about the disc needing to be for a 360 to play or something to that effect.  I take it out and put GRAW in. Same thing.  So, I turned off the 360 and booted it back up and it worked.  However, about 5 minutes later, I had the same thing happen.  I repeated turning it off and on and I didn't have the problem again.  Not sure what was up with that, but I hope my 360 isn't going bad.  I have already replaced one and this one has worked flawlessly for so long.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #226 on: March 23, 2006, 01:22:17 PM »

Just got my free horse yesterday.... uhm, in 3rd person horseriding gives me motion sickness, especially on wilderness terrain.

I'd say that given the character animations, 3rd person is a no-go for me except when sneaking (to allow you to peer around corners, arrow nocked. ninja

I also like the fact that when exiting the first dungeon, you have the option of completely changing your character with no penalty.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 23, 2006, 01:28:49 PM »

Quote from: "Soulchilde"
Thats the town Arkon

Spoiler for Hiden:
I assume you found this, but there are trapdoors in most of the houses to a whole underground area.  They can cast some mighty nast spells if you catch them in a bad mood lol.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: March 23, 2006, 01:31:18 PM »

Quote from: "DiscoJason"
 I say "almost" because something very bad happened.

I got a dirty disc error. So, I pulled the disc out and looked at it and it was fine.  Put it back in and I got some error about the disc needing to be for a 360 to play or something to that effect.  I take it out and put GRAW in. Same thing.  So, I turned off the 360 and booted it back up and it worked.  However, about 5 minutes later, I had the same thing happen.  I repeated turning it off and on and I didn't have the problem again.  Not sure what was up with that, but I hope my 360 isn't going bad.  I have already replaced one and this one has worked flawlessly for so long.

I had a similar thing happen to me.  Thankfully a simple restart of my 360 after wiping the disc seemed to correct it, but my menus were a bit laggy.  Right before "crashing"  I noticed that sounds were off.  I would fire an arrow and hear it 3 seconds later.  Perhaps we need to clear/defragment the HDD cache as was suggested somewhere, I believe the fix was to hold down the A button while booting the system.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: March 23, 2006, 02:00:41 PM »

Re: a few complaints that the towns seem rather underpopulated and that it might be due to performance reasons.  Thinking about it, I'm not sure that's the case- I think they are probably populated correctly.  With the implimentation of the Radiant AI system, pretty much every single NPC now needs to have a bed assigned to them.  So if you want to have a town with bustling streets, every single one of those people needs a house, an inn, or something to return to at night.  Now, I haven't been in any towns other than Charrol yet, but it seems to me that just about every house there is specifically assigned to a person so it stands to reason that the town streets are correctly populated.  Though the absence of kids does hurt this a bit and the male to female ratio seems over-skewed towards males.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #230 on: March 23, 2006, 02:10:04 PM »

Okay, I broke down and got a Xbox 360 Premium and Oblivion.  I'm having fun so far, although targetting for spells is a pain in the arse.

And...the faces look ugly to me.  Not tech-wise, just...bleh. biggrin

Everything else is very pretty, even on a 27" regular TV.
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: March 23, 2006, 02:30:58 PM »

The faces don't bother me much but maybe I am just so happy not to have to read all that dialogue anymore. That killed morrowind for me. I am reading the books this time around again though but sometimes when I see a 6 book story, I cringe and save that for another day.

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
warning

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: March 23, 2006, 02:53:51 PM »

Quote from: "Purge"
I also like the fact that when exiting the first dungeon, you have the option of completely changing your character with no penalty.

That is a great touch to the game.  I have a save archived there and I know I'll go back and try another character.

In fact, one of the cool things about this game is (7 hours in) I'm already planning for my second and third playthrough!  I went as a knight this time and I'm having a blast but often I think "Now when I play as a stealthy assassin I can do this and when I play as a mage then I can do this."  It's been rare for a game to bite me like that.

I agree about horseback riding - I have to go with  1st person (1st horse?) view otherwise I get all askew and end up riding off cliffs.  I also rode past a bandit and he started chasing me.  When I realized this I dismounted and while I was getting off the horse he started attacking my horse!  That was unexpected and kinda cool.

I'm very impressed with the loading times (playing on the PC version).  Very often there's a half-second load when I open a door.  Occasionally outside I get a "now loading..." message but it must stream it into the background because the game doesn't even stutter.  Even to get started into the game takes probably under a minute tops.  Very cool.

No crashes so far on the PC version.  In fact the only bug I noticed was an orc farmer (at least I think he was an orc - he had an orcish name) who was invisible.  I could see his hoe or rake but he was nowhere to be seen except for a faint shimmer.  I assume that was a bug and not an example of orcish cloaking technology!   Tongue
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: March 23, 2006, 02:59:13 PM »

Quote from: "warning"

No crashes so far on the PC version.  In fact the only bug I noticed was an orc farmer (at least I think he was an orc - he had an orcish name) who was invisible.  I could see his hoe or rake but he was nowhere to be seen except for a faint shimmer.  I assume that was a bug and not an example of orcish cloaking technology!   Tongue

Not a bug. I found out later that this is part of a quest. He's invisible on purpose.  biggrin
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: March 23, 2006, 03:08:08 PM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
Honestly I was getting tired of holding down the "w" key for so long at a time to keep moving

You can press "Q" to toggle auto-move.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: March 23, 2006, 03:19:14 PM »

Kathode, have you heard anything about the "dirty disc" error on the 360 version?  I can't seem to get to the official forums.  It started with all the sounds lagging about 3 seconds behind the action.  Then all of a sudden the screen went black and an error popped up saying the disc was dirty and to clean it.  There was nothing on the disc at all, looked perfect, I had to power cycle the 360 and it worked.  Microsoft says the issue is not with the system rather with the game.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #236 on: March 23, 2006, 03:35:26 PM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
Very rarely do I play a game for 7 hours the day I get it...even more rare is playing another 7 hours the next day.  For this guy who simply couldn't stand Morrowind (but always *wanted* to like it), Oblivion just seems to have that certain SOMETHING and I've been trying to figure out what it is.

I'm at...15 hours now, I think. Haven't touched the main quest, short of getting the horse.

Now I'm spending time in the Arena. Now that's fun.

As is every other second of the game.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: March 23, 2006, 04:49:43 PM »

Addicted...again.

hah, I have 6 hours into the game and I have completed 1 quest...yes 1.  The amulet... the rest of the time has been walking...I doubt very seriously that I would use fast travel except mabye to get to a town to pick up contracts for my guilds...otherwise I will take the long way for sure.

My only gripe so far is that I have seen no exits for caves--after clearing out a couple, it would be nice to have an exit at the END of the cave instead of walking all the way back the way I came in.  Not sure if it is always true or just luck on my part to pick ones with 1 door.

Edit for question- anyone know where i can grab a world map...my box came with 2 manuals and no map!!   :evil:
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #238 on: March 23, 2006, 05:23:49 PM »

Though the absence of kids does hurt this a bit and the male to female ratio seems over-skewed towards males.

Naw, it's just the Nords-women are very mannish. biggrin
I was attacked by a female bandit; I thought I was fighting a kid until I killed them and took their armor. The bra is a dead-givaway, or it was just a confused youth.

Oh, and my female redguard crusader needs make-up... in most lights she looks like she's got 5 o'clock shadow.

I went to the docks by the main town, and there was some dark elf proud of her ship. She warned me not to go near it. Yep. I went near it. Then I ran from her and her 3 crew-mates... headed south, and then west to the shoreline, and crossed back over to the other side.

I went back to the ship and they all left. (looking for me, presumably)

I swear officer, I have no IDEA where their stuff went. biggrin

Now, how do I swim? I tend to just go to the bottom of the lake, and walk back to shore.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: March 23, 2006, 05:34:03 PM »

Quote from: "walTer"
Addicted...again.

hah, I have 6 hours into the game and I have completed 1 quest...yes 1.  The amulet... the rest of the time has been walking...I doubt very seriously that I would use fast travel except mabye to get to a town to pick up contracts for my guilds...otherwise I will take the long way for sure.

My only gripe so far is that I have seen no exits for caves--after clearing out a couple, it would be nice to have an exit at the END of the cave instead of walking all the way back the way I came in.  Not sure if it is always true or just luck on my part to pick ones with 1 door.

Edit for question- anyone know where i can grab a world map...my box came with 2 manuals and no map!!   :evil:

Not to be condescending, but isn't this what caves are like? I can't imagine they always lead to another exit....
It would be nice, however, to have a spell like DQ8's "Evac" spell.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: