http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 07:53:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Impressions  (Read 47841 times)
Dimmona
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 22, 2006, 04:08:12 PM »

Does anybody have a link to a page that details how leveling works?  I remember that Morrowang had really complicated major/minor skills rules that you pretty much had to write down and track in order to get the big multipliers when you level'd - so far Oblivion looks similar, but is it the exact same formula(s)?

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 22, 2006, 04:13:23 PM »

I was thinking about stealing a horse from a horse stall owned by a female orc outside the capitol

LOL yeah I almost stole one from her too (she's the one who got me thrown in jail the first time after I killed the other woman that was working with her and stole some stuff) but there's another stable a bit off (you're getting there) they wanted me to travel all this distance (the world is huge) and there's no way I wanted to walk all that way..
When do you get a free horse? Is it before or after Weynon Priory? (That's where I stole my first horse)

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 22, 2006, 04:16:42 PM »

Well it's after your first visit there, once you bring Martin back...

Man I'm jonesing to play really badly.  I should have called out of work.  I may take a nice two hour lunch thoug since I work 5 minutes from home. biggrin
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 22, 2006, 04:19:48 PM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
...I mean when I took that horse there were no guards around, and when I killed a woman yesterday it was around 5am outside town and there were no guards in sight, yet they all come rushing at you to arrest you somehow..

Can someone take the time to explain this please.  I thought "cheating" A.I. was limited to Turn-Based and Real-Time Strategy games.  Now it's in roleplaying games too?!?

To me, all the graphic "glitches" in the world are incredibly minor things compared to something like this.  Is there an explanation for why this happened to corr?  Cause frankly, I think this blows.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 22, 2006, 04:29:39 PM »

If there's a witness to your crime, they can alert the guards.  If you get in combat with someone, they can "sound" an alarm to call the guards.  If you want to get away with crime you have to be more stealthy about it.  If you're sneaking and the eye is faded out, that means no one is detecting you, and you should be able to get away with things much more easily.  If the icon is solid, someone can see you, so you better behave.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 22, 2006, 04:30:58 PM »

I canít really convey how happy I was last night to be playing the next Elder Scrolls experience.  From the opening sequence to the music, graphics, sounds and voices, it felt good to be back in that world.  

Iím not a graphics nut, but I do care about decent graphics in modern games.  Iíve been happy with the graphics on the 360.  Maybe my expectations are lower, but I spent a good amount of time last night just running around admiring the foliage and trees.  Iíve witnessed some great spell effects (with good sound effects this time).  I really appreciate the attention to detail on the architecture, weapons, clothing and armor.  If you have even a passing interest in authentically detailed armor and weapons inspired by real historical weapons and armor, I think youíll be happy to see what theyíve accomplished in Oblivion.

I left the face morphing part of the character creation process a little disappointed and overwhelmed.  I appreciate the idea of allowing the player to go absolutely nuts with face and feature morphing, but for someone like me that just wants to pick a reasonable face and go, this was an almost painful and overwhelming process.  The random face feature didnít really help streamline the process since it put together some very bizarre and freakish looking face combos.  My suggestion wouldíve been to have the artists create maybe 10 well designed stock faces for each race, so players like me could quickly look through and pick a face we liked without having to spend an hour adjusting sliders.  Again, I appreciate the depth, but the game came to a screeching halt for me at this point.  I was very happy with the end result of the High Elf face I built, but it took me about an hour.  

The sound effects, voice work, and music have been great.  Iíve noticed a few cheesy voice-overs, but they seem appropriately funny.  The sound effects for spells are so much better than Morrowindís annoying effects.  

I liked that the game allowed me to experiment with different play styles during the Escape from Prison tutorial opening.  I was surprised by how close the recommended class was to what I intended on playing.  I also really liked that the game allowed me to change everything before leaving the sewers.  I saved at the sewer exit so I could always go back to this decision point and create new characters.

The control scheme for the 360 has been a piece of cake for me to learn and use.  I like the hotkey wheel, and havenít had any trouble switching to different spells during combat.  If I get overwhelmed I just open my inventory and pick the spell I want, exit inventory, and Iím back in the action.  In the pc impression thread Iíve read several people complain about no tool-tips.  Iíve seen tool-tips for almost everything on the 360 version.  Iím not sure why theyíd be left out for the pc version.    

I could nitpick on some things, but Iím not going to because the overall gameplay experience has exceeded my expectations.  For me itís all about fun and immersion, and I had to force myself to go to bed last night at a semi-reasonable time.  Iím not going to try and qualify where the game ranks relative to other rpg experiences since itís still way to early for me to pass any kind of judgment.  I can say that Iím thinking about it at work, and I canít wait to get home and get back into it.
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 22, 2006, 04:50:30 PM »

I played for about four hours last night and really enjoyed myself and stayed up alot later then I intended too.

First off, Oblivion starts off a hell of alot better than Morrowind did. Instead of just dropping me in  the middle of a fairly uninteresting town, I get a fun cave to try out some combat and get used to the controller. Much better start and I like combat much more this time around. I was even able to integrate magic (healing spell) which I could never seem to do with Morrowind.

Sneaking combined with a bow is deadly in this game and allows my nimble Wood Elf to avoid tough battles for her at this point.

Emerging from the sewer was a neat moment. I wasn't blown away by the graphics but I was very happy with them. Being able to see mountains and paths in the distance makes you want to walk over that yonder hill to see whats on the other side. Chances are in the game, something interesting. I have already found 3 dungeons and I love how the map now displays interesting locations. This should have been done in Morrowind.

I cleared one dungeon and it had bandits and undead. There were traps and a few very basic puzzles too. Overall, very engaging and I got some loot to take back to the capitol for sale.

I love the control scheme. Blocking and Attacking feels very natural. I can cast spells on the fly and the wheelbutton allows to me hotkey spells and different weapons on the fly too. I can easily switch between the bow and blade in combat. BRAVO!

Inventory management is pretty easy so far too. Another well done feature.

I can describe what a big difference conversations are now due to the fact it is spoken word. Much less tedious and if a response is something you have already heard, it is greyed out. Nice touch.

I found myself very engaged to start this game off. I was going to try the main question but I found a new quest for these glowing weeds that I think I am going to do first. Also, I want to find this master thief, grey something or other in the capitol. I saw wanted poster of him. NEAT! So much to do!!

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 22, 2006, 05:03:05 PM »

Quote from: "StitchJones"
Well I put about 5 hours in myself last night.  I decided to go right into the main quest a bit so I've done about three parts so far.  Very good storyline.  I also joined the Mages guild and ran a few errands for guild leaders, I can't wait to be able to make my own spells.

The game is very open ended of course, even during parts of the main quest you can just stop what you are doing and go on to doing whatever you want and come back later.  The cool thing I found was that the main quest has branching parts that turn into quest lines of their own, very cool.

My charecter is pretty much a high elf mage.  I went with willpower and inteligence and all my skills fall under those.  I think for you primary magic users, it may be kind of difficult to start because those starting spells are weak.  Remember conjuration though.  Having a skeleton to fight with me saved my butt a couple times, as it would keep them busy when i need to heal myself.  I'm up to lv3 right now, but I plan to get off the main quest for a while now and do mages guild stuff along with joining the dark brotherhood.

Did you got to Kvatch?  Do the Blood Feast thing?  I'm trying to figure out where the Sigil Tower is.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: March 22, 2006, 05:10:12 PM »

Quote from: "DamageInc"
OMFG This game rocks. I don't need to say anything else.

That's pretty much my opinion as well. Absolutely amazing game. It took most of the issues that Morrowind had and solved them, thus turning out one heck of a game.

As far as perks go, I'm close to hitting one for my bow (been using that to death as I love the physics in the game thanks to it). Just need to dungeon hunt a bit more to level it up.

As far as the bow goes though...wow. I 'railing killed' somebody during the very first dungeon you see as you exit the sewers. Saw them standing near a ledge, and I snuck up close to them and fired an arrow from stealth. I insta-killed my target, and she flew up and tumbled across the ledge and crashed to the floor below.

And I love using arrows against skeletons. The arrows don't stick into your opponent. They just bounce off (as they should), yet you still do damage. Enough shots and the skeleton just explodes everywhere.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
dback99
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 22, 2006, 05:13:39 PM »

After staying up far too late to play the game after wife/daughter went to bed here are some initial impressions I have:

Graphics:

Spectacular!  I admit it, I dont pick them apart, and just my opinion, but i think they are, well, spectacular.  From the blades of grass moving, to the trees swaying.  Butterflies float past you, the draw distance is amazing, and honestly, I dont notice either the low res graphics in the distance, or the rocks/grass popping up as you near it.  The graphics in the opening dungeon were excellent, from the way the walls looked (old, wet, weathered), to light creeping into the dungeon giving you just a glimpse of what was up ahead.  I dont know, I suppose the whole package just bamboozled me... Yes, a bamboozlement occured.

Gameplay:

Here for me is where is all matters.  All the pretty graphics in the world cant cover up poor gameplay, and at least for the 4 hours I played, the game shined.

The combat is for me is more stratigic than in Morrowind, with blocking actually having a visable effect.  I can imagine when I get more advanced with "power attacks" these will add to the stratagy as well.   Im a big fan of the physics engine and again it adds to the immerson factor.  

Walking to Imperial City, I had this feeling of being in another world. Ok, i raise my geek flag high and proud but when I pay $69 for a game, thats what im looking for.  Thise huge sense of scope, and knowing that the hills up ahead arent for show, that I can trek over and get pummled, thats just awsome.    

Entering Imperial City was a great moment as well.  NPC's talking amongst themselves on the street (granted, I heard the same conversations a few times, but it still was nice and added to the immersion).  Wanted posters up, ads for the Arena.  It all felt alive.  Browsing the different shops, betting on fights in the Arena, and actually joining the Arena as a fighter only to feel like Michael Spinks fighting Tyson.  It was embarassing, and i loved every minute.

The only area I haven't quite gotten the hang of yet is the dialog persuasion game.  I admit that since im a man, the chances of me using the manual to read up on this are slim, but I may try it out.

I havent even tacked a quest yet, but Im having a blast just bumbling around.

Sound:[/b]

Once again, big kudos to Bethesda on the sound.  From crickets chirping to the positional audio on the conversations, to the battle sounds, everthing is top notch.  

Intro:

I thought the Intro when you start a new game was once again Spectacular.  From the Patrick Stewart voice acting, to the fly by city shot, this just screamed big budget.  Now get Peter Jackson to make this movie!!! smile

Conclusion:

Ok, enough rambling from me, but sufice to say I love the game.  I kick back on the couch, fire up the 360, and feel like im transported into a different world, and I really couldn't ask for more.   I have the PC version as well that I havent cracked open as of yet, but when the mods start rolling in, I will pop that in and have a totally different gaming experience.  

Fantasic job Bethesda, its been money well spent.

Xbox Live tag: dback99

Listening to: volbeat!!

Playing: swtor, skyrim, rocksmith, ootp11
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 22, 2006, 05:15:18 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
As far as the bow goes though...wow. I 'railing killed' somebody during the very first dungeon you see as you exit the sewers. Saw them standing near a ledge, and I snuck up close to them and fired an arrow from stealth. I insta-killed my target, and she flew up and tumbled across the ledge and crashed to the floor below.

And I love using arrows against skeletons. The arrows don't stick into your opponent. They just bounce off (as they should), yet you still do damage. Enough shots and the skeleton just explodes everywhere.

You should see what destruction magic does to baddies :twisted:

Illusion magic is actually fun and useful in Oblivion.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 22, 2006, 05:21:55 PM »

Quote from: "Roguetad"

Yes, I need to raise my Destruction as my pitiful Flame Dart isn't cutting it anymore.  Matter of fact that will be the first thing I do when I play today.  Man I can't wait.

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 22, 2006, 05:28:10 PM »

Quote from: "Soulchilde"
Quote from: "Roguetad"

Yes, I need to raise my Destruction as my pitiful Flame Dart isn't cutting it anymore.  Matter of fact that will be the first thing I do when I play today.  Man I can't wait.

The destruction touch attacks are so good I've found that I'm not even using my weapon skills.  I'm not too far into game, so I may reload from the sewer save and just drop Blade completely.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 22, 2006, 05:29:14 PM »

Thanks for explaining that kathode.  I hope to figure out how the whole sneaky thing works at some point.

You guys are really making me want to exit the starter dungeon soon.  It sounds like there is a ton of stuff to do.  After trying all the different ways to play in the catacombs, I can sort of understand why it is so difficult for people to choose how they want to play the game.  I agree with the poster that mentioned the coolness of ranged attacks in this game.  Which brings up a question... Can I stealth critical hit with magic spells, or is just for bows or throwing knives and things like that?  Just curious.  I'm guessing it's just for weapons, as it is simulating hitting a vital area or somesuch thing.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: March 22, 2006, 05:36:02 PM »

Quote from: "Soulchilde"

For a time, I was using my bow and the Flame Dart as a one-two combo. Sneak attack them at range, then toss the spell right afterwards. Usually was enough to kill my target. I just need more mana to do it more often.

BTW - Sneak attacks are deadly. At the 35ish or so skill I have now (have to check to make sure), I have a 3x multiplier to damage with the bow, and a whopping 6x multiplier with my sword (at least that's what it said the one time I closed to melee with Sneak). Nothing like laying the smackdown without being seen.

That, and there's something fun about seeing your arrows poking out of your target after you've killed them. Or yourself after you've taken a few rounds.

And melee combat...wow. It just works. You're constantly thinking about blocking an incoming attack or trying to get out of the way, or hunkering behind your shield when facing an archer. I love how melee attacks clunk off of your shield, stunning your attacker (or vice versa).

I actually met my match at one point. I was at the town North of the Imperial City (forgot what it was), searching for somebody for my Thieves Guild, and I stumbled upon questline involving a Vampire Hunter. As to not spoil anything, the person I had to fight at the end of the line took me down a few times with that two-hander (amazing range on it) more times than I care to admit.

And as for robbing your opponents go... Keep in mind that shopkeepers do not like you wandering upstairs into their bedrooms. Even if you get into the room without somebody seeing you, odds are they noticed you heading upstairs in the first place, and they'll eventually call the guards on you.

So instead, go up into their rooms at night. But be warned - not everybody sleeps at the same times, even if their front door is locked. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 22, 2006, 05:41:53 PM »

Hey The_Man,

Yes, I've done that part and it can get really hairy, some tough stuff in there.  Remember to make it your active quest, and you should be able to find the right place to go.  Don't forget the map will show you where you need to go also once that's set.  If you are still having problems hit me up on xbox live, I'm (UNCJones), I need more online friends anyway.  I only have 4 right now, hehe.
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 22, 2006, 05:53:48 PM »

3 hours in last nite.

Wow.

I never moved in my chair.

My rig: AMD 2400, 1 gig of ram and a 6600 GT 128- Indoors maps look beautiful and run smooth as silk.  Outside is another story- I do get popups at like 100 feet or less, and the quality is def cut down BUT I am below the min specs mostly and it runs just fine.  It  looks good as well and I can put up with some minor graphical issues because....because...

I'M PLAYING OBLIVION.

hah, i haven't even done a single quest- i have picked flowers, killed bandits, been jumped by a robber, explored 2 caves and bought some new armor and sold my loot.  I am happy.

Does anyone know if there is a key to take a screenshot or do I need to use Ifran or something to get them?

Oh, also, does anyone know if you can set your own waypoints on the map to show up on your compass?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 22, 2006, 05:55:00 PM »

Whose idiotic idea was it that everthing you salvage in the starter dungeon is "stolen goods"?  I decided to pay off my bounty so I could join the fighters guild and imagine my shock to find that after having everything I had "stolen" confiscated I didn't even any weapons or armor left?  

So what counts as stolen then?  Are items looted from corpses that I didn't kill verbotin?  Is there no law of salvage in Tamriel?
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 22, 2006, 05:57:18 PM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
Thanks for explaining that kathode.  I hope to figure out how the whole sneaky thing works at some point.

You guys are really making me want to exit the starter dungeon soon.  It sounds like there is a ton of stuff to do.  After trying all the different ways to play in the catacombs, I can sort of understand why it is so difficult for people to choose how they want to play the game.  I agree with the poster that mentioned the coolness of ranged attacks in this game.  Which brings up a question... Can I stealth critical hit with magic spells, or is just for bows or throwing knives and things like that?  Just curious.  I'm guessing it's just for weapons, as it is simulating hitting a vital area or somesuch thing.

Unfortunately, I don't think spells damage can be multiplied by sneaking.

As for wanting to try out different guys before leaving the sewers, make sure to save right before you exit them. *Very slight spoiler ahead*
Spoiler for Hiden:
When you click on the sewer gate you are given the option to change any parts of your character (i.e. race, face, class, birthsign). So if you have a save right there, you can always reload and start fresh without needing to go through the whole sewers again.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 22, 2006, 05:58:05 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Whose idiotic idea was it that everthing you salvage in the starter dungeon is "stolen goods"?  I decided to pay off my bounty so I could join the fighters guild and imagine my shock to find that after having everything I had "stolen" confiscated I didn't even any weapons or armor left?  

So what counts as stolen then?  Are items looted from corpses that I didn't kill verbotin?  Is there no law of salvage in Tamriel?

That didn't happen to me....

PSN ID: EduardoX
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: March 22, 2006, 06:19:51 PM »

Quote from: "Eduardo X"

Thats news to me too. Sounds like some sort of glitch.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 22, 2006, 06:34:28 PM »

Us thieves have a perk in that regard, Kevin slywink

I don't get the lockpicking, someone care to explain?  Anything more than one prong and I'm like, "uhhhhhh" and I realize all the prongs need to go up, but I can't move my pick fast enough.  I just end up jamming on the X-button.

And the persuasion mini-game thing...I am guessing the more filled up the arch, the harder you press them in one of those 4 areas.  And the instruction booklet said they didn't like one option, hated one option and liked another...so while you're forced to do all 4 of them (I don't know why), it's in your best interest to force them the least in the areas they dislike?  I still don't get why I have to go through all 4 areas.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 22, 2006, 06:41:34 PM »

Figured it out- I  took back  all of my gear from an evidence locker while breaking out of jail and *that's* what flagged everything I had (including legitimately procured items) as stolen.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: March 22, 2006, 06:57:06 PM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"

I don't get the lockpicking, someone care to explain?  Anything more than one prong and I'm like, "uhhhhhh" and I realize all the prongs need to go up, but I can't move my pick fast enough.  I just end up jamming on the X-button.

And the persuasion mini-game thing...I am guessing the more filled up the arch, the harder you press them in one of those 4 areas.  And the instruction booklet said they didn't like one option, hated one option and liked another...so while you're forced to do all 4 of them (I don't know why), it's in your best interest to force them the least in the areas they dislike?  I still don't get why I have to go through all 4 areas.

Could have just did what about 8 people did last night and message me. slywink  You hit A at the top of the tumbler arc and it'll lock in place.  Its a timing thing.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 22, 2006, 06:57:32 PM »

I don't think you need to rush. Once you get one up it will stay up (unless you fail on the next one). Just click the button when the prong is all the way to the top. Then it stays there (though your lockpick can break if you suck at security). When you go to the next prong, you do the same thing. However, depending on your security rating, more than one prong can fall back into place if you fail.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 22, 2006, 07:14:02 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"

Could have just did what about 8 people did last night and message me. slywink

Guilty as charged!

And I have not yet begun to pester!

That's what you get though when you put an RPG in front of a sports gamer!   Tongue

LD

Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 22, 2006, 07:15:06 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
Could have just did what about 8 people did last night and message me. slywink  You hit A at the top of the tumbler arc and it'll lock in place.  Its a timing thing.
:oops: Thanks again, Ron.

Still, isn't great that we can just fire off a message to our friends over Xbox Live without have to exit the game. I LOVE YOU XBOX360!

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: March 22, 2006, 07:19:37 PM »

Didn't happen to me either.

As for what's stolen or not - if you highlight an item, and a red hand/interaction icon appears over it, then what you're doing is illegal and can get your arrested. Any items in your inventory that are 'borrowed' will have a red hand over them on the lower left of the icon.

As to why you lost everything...did you get thrown into actual jail (where you spend time there) and break out or something?

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: March 22, 2006, 07:22:09 PM »

So you didn't read the stealth help in the first dungeon? biggrin

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: March 22, 2006, 07:24:52 PM »

Figured it out- I  took back  all of my gear from an evidence locker while breaking out of jail and *that's* what flagged everything I had (including legitimately procured items) as stolen.

Now THAT'S funny.. you steal state evidence and get charged for stolen goods. Sounds like an easy way to deter breakouts... both as an escapee and a thief for taking your own stuff. biggrin

Mounted Officer : "Son, watch your head"
<Officer takes thief around horse from behind>
<Horse kicks thief in head>
Mounted Officer : "I told you to watch your head."
Thief : "Police BRUTALIT...."
<thief "falls" on officers sword>
Officer #2 : "... time to get *another* 48B-suspect accidentally died-scroll. :: sigh ::"

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 22, 2006, 07:30:46 PM »

Ooooooh, okay then, thanks.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 22, 2006, 07:35:25 PM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
...I mean when I took that horse there were no guards around, and when I killed a woman yesterday it was around 5am outside town and there were no guards in sight, yet they all come rushing at you to arrest you somehow..

Can someone take the time to explain this please.  I thought "cheating" A.I. was limited to Turn-Based and Real-Time Strategy games.  Now it's in roleplaying games too?!?

To me, all the graphic "glitches" in the world are incredibly minor things compared to something like this.  Is there an explanation for why this happened to corr?  Cause frankly, I think this blows.

The thing with this is, if noone is around AND you sneak kill them in one blow, you will be ok. The one blow must be equal to pure melee damage before poisons and not counting magic. Anything else and the person is able to "cry an alarm".

1) I think one hit kills shouldn't cause an alarm, regardless of if it's done with poison or not (magic, I can understand because it's loud.)

2) I think that the range of hearing for characters is too high. If I attack someone alone in their house and kill them before they get out, there shouldn't be an alarm.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 22, 2006, 07:38:02 PM »

Quote from: "Purge"

So you didn't read the stealth help in the first dungeon? biggrin

No, no... I read that.  I just didn't realize that if... oh, nevermind.  Punisher just explained it to me.

Keep it up Purge and you'll be next on my Pester list!   :wink:

LD

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: March 22, 2006, 07:42:44 PM »

Check my achievements; I haven't left the first dungeon yet. Ooo, you're going to get advice on how to best prepare rat stew. Tongue

Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 22, 2006, 08:33:46 PM »

Me either - the only thing they took was that nice kitana that belonged to one of the head Blade guys, and that was only because he was a member of the fighter's guild or something.  Everything else I had left over I still kept (and I don't remember seeing it flagged as stolen)...

On a side note, I have to admit that I'm feeling a little underwhelmed with the graphics, especially after seeing all of those beautiful screenshots leading up to the release.  The skyboxes are exceptional, and the foliage looks great up close but the mipmapping, grass/rock/object popup, and fog usage makes me feel like I'm playing FarCry on an old PC.  It's probably still one of the best looking games out there, but I guess I was expecting a more consistent look after seeing all those purdy screenshots....

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: March 22, 2006, 08:51:42 PM »

Quote from: "Dimmona"

On a side note, I have to admit that I'm feeling a little underwhelmed with the graphics, especially after seeing all of those beautiful screenshots leading up to the release.  The skyboxes are exceptional, and the foliage looks great up close but the mipmapping, grass/rock/object popup, and fog usage makes me feel like I'm playing FarCry on an old PC.  It's probably still one of the best looking games out there, but I guess I was expecting a more consistent look after seeing all those purdy screenshots....

I feel this way a bit as well.  I guess I figured that with a console they couldn't really tweak shots but it seems like they did.

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 22, 2006, 09:09:09 PM »

I agree about the graphics. There appears to be a noticeable downgrade from screenshots that were released last fall. The other thing that bothers me is how inconsistent the art direction is. I've never played a game where I can look at one area and find it absolutely breathtaking and then turn around and look at something else and think WTF?

Part of this is the LOD and part of this just seems to be varying quality of artwork in the game. A good example of this is the prison in the starting area. The first wall when you start the game has no depth to it at all. It's supposed to be a stone wall, but it looks more like a solid block that a bored prisoner painted lines on. It's hard to describe, but it just looks wrong and out of place.

Still, that's one of the few complaints that I have right now. I hated Morrowind and it looks like Oblivion's addressed a lot of my complaints.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 22, 2006, 09:09:49 PM »

Either I am blind, am seeing a different game or just don't notice it.  I have not seen much of any difference from screenshots, and have yet to notice pop up/in.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 22, 2006, 09:20:40 PM »

Arkon I'm with you.  I think the game is gorgeous

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 22, 2006, 09:33:45 PM »

Some complaints (nitpicks):

- I'm finding the NPC schedules a bit hit or miss.  I love the concept in theory but I'm currently frustrated by my inability to track down the head of the fighters guild in Charron.  I found her at her desk in the top of the guild but wasn't allowed to be admitted until I paid off the bounty on my head.  After paying off the bounty I returned only to be unable to find her- I've check all of the guild spaces I have available to me, out back at the practice dummies, both taverns, and the church and still no luck.  

- I really wish the journal would update on rumors.  Lots of stuff I would like to track down but I don't really feel like breaking out a pad of paper.  

-(Credit goes to someone on QT3 for pointing this out):  it would have been really nice if we could have gotten lighted windows on buildings at night as an indicator that the inhabitants are either out of the house or asleep.  Otherwise, if I want to be all thief-y and break in, I really have no idea if I'm going to immediately be accosted by the inhabitant.  

-I feel a little betrayed about the LOD issues.  They were never apparent in the screenshots or movies and everytime someone mentioned it from a preview build they were shouted down with "it's an unoptimized beta and it will be fixed for the final version".  Most of the game is very beautiful but the pop-in, LOD issues, and framerate hitches are very disappointing.  

-The game feels very inefficient.  Even after a three hour play session, I don't necessarilly feel like I accomplished a whole lot.  I wish the content was a little denser.  

-There needs to be some sort of hierarchy to books.  I wish they were noted in look or color in a way that lets me know how relevant they are to the world and events before clicking on them.  Some are interesting and worth reading but many are not.  And they really, really need to indicate the total number of pages when you open it.  Some are only 2 or 3 pages while some are 80 page monsters and it would be nice to know what I'm getting myself into.  

Otherwise I'm fairly impressed by after 8 or so hours of play.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: