http://gamingtrend.com
September 17, 2014, 01:45:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Impressions  (Read 48000 times)
Farscry
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 21, 2006, 10:15:48 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"
Quote from: "Purge"
farley, looking forward to getting home? biggrin

Yes!! Of course my wife will want to spend "quality time" since she has been out of town. frown

I'd kill for quality time with the GF right now.  Things aren't going so hot with her, which is really killing my enthusiasm for gaming at the moment.

Moral of the story?

Don't take your good relationship for granted, Farley!  Well, I'm assuming it's a good relationship.  Unsafe assumption probably.  biggrin

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: March 21, 2006, 10:24:13 PM »

Quote from: "Farscry_Redux"
Quote from: "farley2k"
farley, looking forward to getting home? biggrin

Yes!! Of course my wife will want to spend "quality time" since she has been out of town. frown

I'd kill for quality time with the GF right now.  Things aren't going so hot with her, which is really killing my enthusiasm for gaming at the moment.

Moral of the story?

Don't take your good relationship for granted, Farley!  Well, I'm assuming it's a good relationship.  Unsafe assumption probably.  biggrin

Sorry to hear that bro.  frown   Flowers help, but silly things like doing enough work to organize a picnic goes a long way.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 21, 2006, 10:59:50 PM »

Dear god, just finished playing several hours and already had a bunch of really cool things happen.

I won't spoil anybody, but the begining of the game and the areas you see when you first exit the dungeon are just a whimper of whats to come. The first district in the Imperial City could be ONE game in of itself. I keep forgetting that there are 8 other cities to explore. The shops and stuff have excellent detail and the people do some amazing things.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 21, 2006, 11:56:39 PM »

You do get sidekicks during the game. I know from reading the guide that a few come from guild quests. Not sure what the full mechanics are, but companions are in.

Thanks godhugh, after reading that I rushed off to CompUSA hoping I wouldn't be too late (been waiting around almost all day to hear if mercenaries were in or not - unable to register at the official site for some reason they never send me my link, used two different emails so far) and they had one copy of the regular edition left.
Of course in my rush, I left my wallet at home. So I walked around the store, Oblivion in hand, wondering wtf I was going to do. If I went back home and came back it'd be gone.
So I went to the mac area (you know how we all use macs, especially for games and all) and put it behind some OS boxes, rushed back in the middle of rush hour, grabbed my wallet to which I only had $25 in, grabbed Alias season 3 and 4, sold them to cd warehouse for $15 each on the way, then finally got back to CompUSA, and thankfully, the last copy was still there in the Mac area where nobody was looking.
Don't let anyone tell you macs aren't good for anything!

Only played about 20 minutes so far, lost in that dungeon area in the beginning. I'm wondering if I'm ever going to get out of it.. can't wait to see a huge city with NPC's and the much advertised Radiant AI and all the unpredictable stories going around on how they behave. (The woman who burns her annoying dog for example.)

And most importantly, I'm hoping to meet up with a mercenary or two to join me on my quests.. hopefully the mod community will put out a companion patch soon though as I see there are a ton of companions out there for morrowind.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 22, 2006, 12:00:44 AM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
You do get sidekicks during the game. I know from reading the guide that a few come from guild quests. Not sure what the full mechanics are, but companions are in.

Thanks godhugh, after reading that I rushed off to CompUSA hoping I wouldn't be too late (been waiting around almost all day to hear if mercenaries were in or not - unable to register at the official site for some reason they never send me my link, used two different emails so far) and they had one copy of the regular edition left.
Of course in my rush, I left my wallet at home. So I walked around the store, Oblivion in hand, wondering wtf I was going to do. If I went back home and came back it'd be gone.
So I went to the mac area (you know how we all use macs, especially for games and all) and put it behind some OS boxes, rushed back in the middle of rush hour, grabbed my wallet to which I only had $25 in, grabbed Alias season 3 and 4, sold them to cd warehouse for $15 each on the way, then finally got back to CompUSA, and thankfully, the last copy was still there in the Mac area where nobody was looking.
Don't let anyone tell you macs aren't good for anything!

Only played about 20 minutes so far, lost in that dungeon area in the beginning. I'm wondering if I'm ever going to get out of it.. can't wait to see a huge city with NPC's and the much advertised Radiant AI and all the unpredictable stories going around on how they behave. (The woman who burns her annoying dog for example.)

And most importantly, I'm hoping to meet up with a mercenary or two to join me on my quests.. hopefully the mod community will put out a companion patch soon though as I see there are a ton of companions out there for morrowind.

Any game buying event I have ever experienced pales in comparison.

I bow to your fortitude....all I did was cancel my GoGamer order and do a pick up in store at BB today...49 bucks since both CC and CompUSA are currenly out of stock.  BUT I get to play tonite.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 22, 2006, 12:08:33 AM »

Finally got my copy.  I'm going to install and play it tonight.

My system:
AMD XP 3200
1 gig RAM
6600GT 128mb

We'll see how it goes on my middle of the road system.  I'll post some thoughts before bed.  Or breakfast - whichever comes first.   Tongue
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 22, 2006, 12:32:40 AM »

Quote from: "Big Jake"

One question for anyone else here: After I hit and hold the 'get' key to grab something, how do I throw it?  I can pull bodies really slowly, but I can't pick up a cup and launch it, which seems odd.  I can use a discus throwers motion (side release, momentum + inertia carries the object forward), but no real 'oomph' in throwing things.

You pretty much figured out the only way for this. I was hoping for a throw similiar to Thief3, so you could use it as a distraction.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 22, 2006, 12:35:58 AM »

Should run fine on your system, I've got a sempron 3400 1.5gb ram and an all-in-wonder 2006 edition (powered by an x1300) and it runs nicely.

Anyone know what race/class is the one that can summon the dead? So far I started out as a.. huron was it? New to the elder scrolls universe (never played any of the previous ones) but there was a human-based race that said it could use magic including summoning. So I'm thinking it's either that class or the dark elf one, anyone know for sure? Want to make sure I have the right character before losing many hours of sleep tonight..

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Ravenwargg
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 22, 2006, 12:56:36 AM »

Hey everyone long time Gold Gold lurker and occasional poster(Bloodskye).I finally stopped being lazy and decided to post here :)I got caught up in all the Oblivion hype as well,even though my system it right at the min specs. I am running a:

Pent 4 1.7ghz
512 MB RDRAM
256 MB ATI 9800 XT
Sony DVD Drive

I had ordered this machine from Alienware, 3 or 4 years ago, only replacing the Video Card.I have to say after 10 hrs of play,(Am still exploring the first City, the place is massive) the game runs  good on my system.Running at 1024,Med everything,Aliasing x2,shadow and water effects low, most everything else on medium though and I am getting very consistant framerates(40-50 fps at a guess).When multiple enemies are coming at me it dips a bit, 5-7fps at the most( again a best guess) and this is outside fighting as well. It is very playable and I am having a very good time so far with the game. Just wanted to let people with mid-range machines that are close or a bit under the minimum specs know, that so far, the game runs  good on my machine(YMMV).
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 22, 2006, 01:21:59 AM »

Tip for the 360 version:

Post from one of the game Devs

"Xbox 360 – Long Pauses with Hard Drive"

Oblivion uses the Xbox 360 hard drive extensively to cache (copy and reuse) game data. This is done to optimize all loading the game does. It has been found in rare cases on some Xbox 360s that the cached data can get overly fragmented. This exhibits itself by the game taking a long time to load anything from menus, dialogue, sounds, objects, levels, and more.

To solve this problem, reset your Xbox, and hold down the A button as the game is booting up. If any button is held while Oblivion is loading, it will clear its hard drive cache, and create a new one. Once you see the “Bethesda Softworks” logo video, the game is already loaded, and the cache should have been cleared.

Note, this does not effect your game in any way other than loading. You will not lose any saved data.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 22, 2006, 01:23:29 AM »

What the hell is this "You are over-encumbered" thing?! Second time I had to quit the game because I coudn't move. You can attack and look around, but you can't move at all.
Thought maybe it had something to do with fatigue so I ate an apple and some rat meat but still can't move.
Any ideas on what the problem is?

Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 22, 2006, 01:26:29 AM »

Basically it means you're carrying too much stuff. Drop some. smile

You can check how much you can carry, by looking at the number on the lower left corner of your Inventory/all items menu. There should be a feather icon, a shield icon, and a coin icon at the bottom. The one you want to be paying attention to, is the feather one. If it crosses over your alloted amount, you ain't moving. Depending on how strong you are, you can carry more.

Brief blurp of this can be found on page 11 of thhe manual, midway, btw.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 22, 2006, 01:43:05 AM »

Man, it's a lot harder to steal stuff from people in Oblivion then it was in Morrowind.

I've gone into shops, ran upstairs and have picked the lock and entered these private rooms only to have a guard arrive in the room!  I guess the shopkeeper's know you're up to something fishy...I've been caught twice frown

Word of advice; I know it tells you to be prepared for your first Arena fighter...but seriously, BE READY FOR YOUR FIRST ARENA FIGHT!  Thankfully, I didn't have to watch my fight from the balcony or I would have seen the most cowardly-fight ever.  biggrin

I've played it 4 hours already - I've explored half about the Imperial City, haven't continued the main quest.  Man, this game is going to be huge.

Funny story, thought I'd test out my neat illusion spells and charm an animal.  So I find a cute deer and charm it, only to have it attack all the other deer around it  :lol:   What started out as a cute scene of frolicking deer turned into a deer graveyard.  Quite sad.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: March 22, 2006, 01:50:15 AM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
What the hell is this "You are over-encumbered" thing?! Second time I had to quit the game because I coudn't move. You can attack and look around, but you can't move at all.
Thought maybe it had something to do with fatigue so I ate an apple and some rat meat but still can't move.
Any ideas on what the problem is?

ROFL!!

Your character class should be "Pack-Rat" born under the Scotsman star constellation. biggrin

When you pull up your B menu, you'll see a xxx/200 at the bottom... that's how much weight you can carry. The feather icon is the value for each... don't forget that multiples count... so if an Iron arrow weighs .1 and you have 80 of them, you're carring 8units of weight in arrows.

The Great mace weighs like, 30. But it's worth 60gp, so I'm staying right below encumbrance level and keeping the most valuable stuff (stuff that isn't a 1:1 ratio of gold / weight.

since I've not played much of morrowind (got bored right away) I have to say: This game is better than I expected.

The combat is fun, the quickslots are fairly intuitive and I've not even left the sewers yet (just got my class designation).

The movement and camera is excellent.

My only grip thus far is that there is no agility-like dodge. Not the end of the world, but I'd still like one.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 22, 2006, 01:50:29 AM »

Lol Corrupt - yes, Fellow is right - you're carrying too much stuff, a fault I am perennially guilty of.  Drop the useless or "too heavy for it's value" type of stuff - or keep eating it until you lose some weight, lol. Just don't eat anything too worthwhile, you may need it later.

lol, almost everybody on my Friends list is playing Oblivion right now, except for mytocles who is of course still playing Final Fantasy
Dimmona, you posted too early, heh - I wasnt' feeling well today and my sister offered to pick up the game and deliver it to me (yup, she's a keeper, if I could pick my relatives, she'd still be in there!)  So I did my mindless Auction House stuff while waiting, ran a bazaar and sold a ton of stuff... cz like I said I'm always carrying too much!  Ask Metallicorphan about my stuffed inventory in FFXI!

Anyway, I played Oblivion for a few hours, finally, but was still not feeling well, so I gave the Box up to the Zuma addict so I can take a nap.   The little I played gave me this:  I thought the graphics were great (without HDTV, btw), the voice acting superb, and the combat much better than Morrowind.  I haven't seen above-ground yet, so I'll reserve comment on the pop-up issue for later.  

I did not like the character selection because I couldnt find any Khajiits that vaguely resembled the M'wind ones.  It looks like they went overboard on the Beast part of them.. the M'wind ones were "friendlier" looking or more beast/ human mixed... I dont like the new ones, and I chose it in somewhat of a hurry, to boot, so I feel I'll have to do it over again.

As much as I've been waiting for this game since first seeing Morrowind, I think I will put it aside (maybe, lol) to continue with FFXI - only because the beta ends April 2 and the real game won't be out til 3rd or 4th week of April.  I may spend some time, off and on, with Oblivion to try to sort out my character, sign, etc, which was all done in a hurry, and then start the game over.  This would not bother me in the least, doing everything over - but with the FFXI dilemma, it works well, anyway.  Although these may be Famous Last Words, we'll see...  :?

And when I'm playing them both? OMG - how much is half of no sleep... that's what I'll be getting, lol!  :twisted:

Teeeeem El, your deer story is hysterical, can't wait to try it, lol!

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 22, 2006, 02:44:00 AM »

Amazing game so far. Anyone been to jail yet? I went into a house and the I didn't like the woman's tone (she told me to leave) so I clubbed her to death!  biggrin
Then 3 guards came rushing at me and took me to jail and all my stats went down levels.
I know not to do that again now.

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 22, 2006, 03:18:03 AM »

Should have beat her senseless with barehands....  but I suppose that would still be assault.... darn guards!

:twisted:

Pikachu, I Blame you!
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 22, 2006, 04:00:36 AM »

My only grip thus far is that there is no agility-like dodge. Not the end of the world, but I'd still like one.

If I'm reading that right, this will be remedied if you
Spoiler for Hiden:
pour some time into improving acrobatics.  One of the perks is a kind-of dodge ability. There's no auto-dodge though.

Edit: Figured I'd spoiler-fy that for people who really don't want to know anything about advancement.  It's a pretty minor spoiler though.

Anyone check out the making of Oblivion movie yet?  I've yet to see the whole thing myself.  Hope I get my copy of the game soon slywink
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: March 22, 2006, 04:18:39 AM »

Anyone gotten a 'perk' yet?  Are they cool, or is it just a boring stat bonus?

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 22, 2006, 04:41:39 AM »

Anyone gotten a 'perk' yet? Are they cool, or is it just a boring stat bonus?

No, perks for me yet.   I've joined the Fighter's Guild and the Mage's Guild and I am going to work on some of those quest.  

Random cool things I ran into during my 5+ hour marathon

I came upon a ruined Fort and decided to explore.  Imagine my surprise when I heard another Adventure  also killing and exploring.  Competition!

Highwaymen,  Poor Khajit as I had to put him down

Also, I ran into a dungeon where I think I need to be a higher level.  During my quest for the Mage guild I came upon a dungeon to explore.  I was able to kill  most of the beasties, but I met  my match in

Spoiler for Hiden:
Two Orges
  I shall be back to bring my vengance upon them

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 22, 2006, 05:20:44 AM »

2.5 hours in, XB360 w/HDTV, amused by the number of PC gamers posting in the console gaming impressions thread.  :lol:

Anyway, having been outside I do see what some people are complaining about.  I don't think it's that bad, but it is a bit jarring when you see it.  What's strange to me is that things look really, really good close and pretty good far away, but it's the medium that catches you off guard.  It's a suprisingly bland and dull texturing.  As you get closer it does pop-up in noticeable ways.

For those who were wondering, third person is legit.  I've switched to it a few times and it looks just as good.   I've even fought in that mode, but I'm not sure you can pick up loot from that perspective.

I've been in the imperial city and I am a bit disappointed in how lightly populated the game is.  This IS a major city, after all, so you'd think you'd see more than 10 people on the streets in a district.  Even Fable managed to make the towns look somewhat populated.  My first impressions are that the villages are also weak in this regard.  The first I "discovered" consists of an inn with two people in it and a house.  One guy is wandering around outside.  That's it.

I'm provisionally grading this an A-.  It looks incredibly good in close quarters in terms of quests, but the graphics aren't consistently at a high level.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
warning

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 22, 2006, 06:18:31 AM »

Quote from: "Sarkus"
2.5 hours in, XB360 w/HDTV, amused by the number of PC gamers posting in the console gaming impressions thread.  :lol:

Well the only Oblivion thread in the PC section is the Gold! thread so I think we default to this one for impressions.  Anyway here's what I posted in that thread:

I'm up and running.  I've sunk about 3 1/2 hours into it so far and I do like it.

My system:
AMD XP 3200
1 gig RAM
6600GT 128mb

It defaulted to Medium Detail and I pretty much left it there.  I could play it at 1280x1024 which is my LCD's native resolution but I found the framerate was smoother when I brought it down to 1024x768.  It seems like the game wants to lock itself at 30fps (according to Fraps) as the maximum framerate in-game.  I thought that was weird but I can live with that.

The game does look great.  I had to tweak some settings otherwise it looked like blades of grass were magically growing 10 feet in front of me.

The game reminds me very much of Morrowind.  And I liked Morrowind so that's okay by me but if it wasn't your cuppa tea then Oblivion probably won't ring your bell.  The biggest disappointment for me was the NPC's.  I'm sure their AI is Radiant and all but it really bothered me that conversation was still choosing from a list of subjects, listening to them prattle on and then choosing another subject.  Why aren't conversations more interactive?  Ugh.

And the main city is boring.  Shop after shop after generic NPC.  One lady had a creaky high pitched voice as I walked up to her but when I started talking to her her voice changed to a British accent!  Yikes!

But really I don't play Elder Scrolls games for deep conversation I play them for fun action-RPG'ing and so far it seems to fit the bill.  I wandered into an abandoned fort and found a dungeon access.  I knocked off a few goblins and rats and noticed a door in the dungeon that leads even deeper.  I chickened out and left it unexplored.  Maybe later?

Anyway so far so good.  I'm giving it a B to a B+ based on my initial impressions.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 22, 2006, 06:27:09 AM »

Anyone else utterly disappointed with the supposedly amazing exit from the sewers?  Completely ruined by being after a level load IMO.  Instead of walking down a long, dark tunnel and into a world full of light you click o a gate, watch a level load screen, and *ta da* outside without any ado.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 22, 2006, 06:39:02 AM »

Got a quest from the fighters guild.  Lets just say I like their take on the rat quest.

Edit: Also playing a rangerish character.  I am really enjoying shooting things, especially from sneak mode.  I shoot a deer as it was running down a slope, killed it, when it stopped rolling its neck was rather obviously broken.

For some reason looking at a downed opponent and seeing exactly where the arrows went is quite satisfying.  I don't particularly recommend using regular arrows vs. undead though.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 22, 2006, 09:28:55 AM »

It has been awhile since I've played a single game for 7 hours in a day, but time just seemed to fly by today.  

Believe it or not, I haven't done a single thing in regards to the main quest - strictly optional stuff thus far.  

I'm somewhat disappointed in my choice of illusion magic, but hopefully some better spells start popping up to complement my custom bounty hunter class.

TheMissingLink on PSN
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 22, 2006, 10:53:41 AM »

OMFG This game rocks. I don't need to say anything else.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
warning

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 22, 2006, 12:25:21 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Anyone else utterly disappointed with the supposedly amazing exit from the sewers?  Completely ruined by being after a level load IMO.  Instead of walking down a long, dark tunnel and into a world full of light you click o a gate, watch a level load screen, and *ta da* outside without any ado.

And for me I emerged at night.

Wow - not.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 22, 2006, 12:36:11 PM »

TML - from my understanding, (which is just marginally above the understanding of a doorknob, mind you), the Illusion School doesn't come into it's own until the 2nd level of mastery, whatever that is called.  I think it's either Apprentice or Novice... whichever is 2nd.
- - - - -
I played for multiple hours last night, and I am reasonably sure I'm still not very close to exiting the starter dungeon.  I am going to submit my name for "slowest player in the world", cause I think I may win.  I spent a good 20 minutes trying to open a chest with 3 tumblers that needed locking into place before it would open.  Finally, after breaking about 15 lockpicks, I talked to Ron about how to do it.  Once he educated me, I got it in 2 attempts.  (Thank God for private chat channels).

Before that, I bothered poor Arkon for at least 15 to 20 minutes in private chat, where he basically explained everything to me that he could think of.  (thanks buddy)

Bottom line is, so far, I actually like the game.  I would really like to be able to play in 3rd person and aim my spells, but I just don't think that's going to happen.  Heck, I can't even aim my spells in 1st person half the time before things are on top of me!  Every so often, I will surprise a rat and send a flare it's way.  If by some miracle I hit on the first try, it turns to fire and goes bouncing off walls.  It is totally hysterical and fun as hell!

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 22, 2006, 12:58:34 PM »

I played for about 5 hours yesterday.  I created my character, an Argonian Assassin.  I was planning on doing a custom class, but the game wisely choose assassin for me and it was all good.  I do like how the game analyzes your playstyle in the opening dungeon to suggest a class.

I am playing on a standard definition TV.  To me the graphics are phenomenal.  Either I am not looking correctly or I just don't see these wierd textures are long distances.  I do notice the grass popping in, but to be honest it really only hit me when I was looking for it.  I am usually too engrossed by looking at my immediate surroundings to worry about grass appearing 100 yards away from me.  I have to say so far I am not very impressed with the NPC faces.  I was in charrol and I stumbled upon this woman when I accidentaly unlocked her front door and entered her house around midnight.....  she started talking to me and the first words out of my mouth were.... my god, that's a MAN...man.  Imagine an older woman, wearing a dress, and a grey beard.  My guess is that the face was supposed to look aged, but it didn't come off well.  I have barely touched the main quest, mostly just explored around.  I found this old run down fort and decided to head in.  After dispatching some skeletons I found a room that had a really eerie blue mist and a ghost was patrolling.  Thank god for my rudimentary knowledge of destruction magic.....  The best part was once I killed the ghost I went down in to the room and found a coffin up on a raised platform in the middle of the room... good loot to boot.

I have also spent some time hunting deer.  They are some really skittish bastards.  After about 10 minutes I tracked down one that I had scared off.... he was standing up on a ridge, I was down in the gully...the sun was rising behind the stag.  I took aim with my bow... did some adjusting for the radical arc that would be needed and fired.  Due to firing from a stealth position I did triple damage, and dropped my mark.  It was exhilirating.  I went and collected my venison and smiled at the arrow placed in the neck of the stag.

Overall I am really loving the game.  I do agree that I expected the Imperial City to be bustling, but it really isn't.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 22, 2006, 01:18:16 PM »

Got mine yesterday and played a bit last night.  The graphics can be a mixed bag, but overall I am impressed with them.  The suprising thing about them is that I get pop-in with rocks, which I didn't expect.  The LoD out in the distance I can understand, but the pop-in of rocks and even structures kind of threw me for a loop since I expected better.  That may sound like I am harping ont he graphics, but I am really not.  Overall, I love them and the world looks beautiful to me.  Can't wait to explore more.

I made a Ranger-type character and went with Agility and Willpower as my major attributes.  I then picked Marksman, Restoration, Athletics, Blade, Alchemy, Stealth, and Light Armor.

When I left the sewers I kinf of headed past the Imperial city right to the delivery of the item I was given in the sewers.  I did kind of play aroud a bit outside.  Found a shrine which summoned daedric bracers and dagger.  Also found another shrine which told me I needed more fame or something to be considered worthy.  Went through a tiny townand got a quest to get 12 scales from slaughter fish (is this WoW? smile ), but I think I will wait on that one to get some kind of underwater breating help.

Oh, I picked Kajiit which rules because I get a 0-mana spell to see int he dark.  So, I don't need torches.  I was surprised how dark the game can get.  I bumped up the brightness two nothces, which still makes me fairly blind in caves and such without the night eye or torch, but helped a little bit indoors and at sun down.

I found a cave with some bandits and explored that.  OOne cool thing in there is there was a pit with boards going over it.  I crossed the boards a couple of times and on my third trip over them, they snapped and I fell in.  I didn't expect that, so it was cool.

I travelled further and found some abandoned fort, which was apparently a dungeon of sorts, but I wanted to get to the town for my delivery, so I went back out.  I found a highwayman who demanded gold form me to pass, but I arrowed him good.

That reminds me, I sure can run fast backwards.  Maybe that is because of picking Athletics as a major skill, but I was able to keep meleers out of range.

I finally made it to my destination and talked a bit with the guy there.  He has a bunch of books on a shelf, so I quit there so that I can do some reading tonight.

I did make one mistake in not going to the Imperial city in that I am at full encumbrance and really need to sell some stuff I have.

With Morrowind, I played a thief character and pretty much stole everything.  In this game, I will not steal anything, since my character is on the up and up.  Will be a totallydifferent way to play and I like that.  It is nice that the game lets you know if you wouldbe stealing something or not by having the icons be red when you hover over things.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: March 22, 2006, 02:22:33 PM »

Quote from: "DiscoJason"
Got mine yesterday and played a bit last night.  The graphics can be a mixed bag, but overall I am impressed with them.  The suprising thing about them is that I get pop-in with rocks, which I didn't expect.  The LoD out in the distance I can understand, but the pop-in of rocks and even structures kind of threw me for a loop since I expected better.  That may sound like I am harping ont he graphics, but I am really not.  Overall, I love them and the world looks beautiful to me.  Can't wait to explore more.

Yeah, the Xbox 360 version has a lot more popup and things like that than the PC version. It's probabily a RAM issue, since it only has 512 MB to use.

I've posted fixes for the LOD issue and popup in the PC forum at OO and here, cause that all can be changed in the ini file.....unfortunatily on the 360 you can't change that at all.  frown

It still looks great, but now that I have changed some settings in the ini file on the PC version....the PC version looks quite a bit better, provided you have the system to run it well.

Before (offical PC Max Settings):
http://img479.imageshack.us/img479/8363/0787d372e26en.jpg

After (with INI Tweaks):
http://img468.imageshack.us/img468/2774/f542870dc74gr.jpg

(Max Settings)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v456/enigmatic_cat/Oblivion1a.jpg

(Tweaked INI)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v456/enigmatic_cat/Oblivion2a.jpg

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
bluntman72
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 22, 2006, 03:04:05 PM »

I played a few hours and I really like the game. There is some pop up and the the effect of the grass apearing in front of you as you walk is a bit weird but it isnt stopping me from enjoying the game.
StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 22, 2006, 03:10:33 PM »

Well I put about 5 hours in myself last night.  I decided to go right into the main quest a bit so I've done about three parts so far.  Very good storyline.  I also joined the Mages guild and ran a few errands for guild leaders, I can't wait to be able to make my own spells.

The game is very open ended of course, even during parts of the main quest you can just stop what you are doing and go on to doing whatever you want and come back later.  The cool thing I found was that the main quest has branching parts that turn into quest lines of their own, very cool.

My charecter is pretty much a high elf mage.  I went with willpower and inteligence and all my skills fall under those.  I think for you primary magic users, it may be kind of difficult to start because those starting spells are weak.  Remember conjuration though.  Having a skeleton to fight with me saved my butt a couple times, as it would keep them busy when i need to heal myself.  I'm up to lv3 right now, but I plan to get off the main quest for a while now and do mages guild stuff along with joining the dark brotherhood.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 22, 2006, 03:23:51 PM »

Not to get off the subject of impressions, but that post brings up a question I have regarding conjured creatures.

Does one have control over the creature to any degree?  Can I, for instance, tell my summoned creature to go attack enemy A?  If not, how exactly does my summoned creature work?  Does he wait for me to attack?  Does he target who I target?  Does he draw monster hate more/less than I do as the main character?

I really have no clue how it works, and am curious.

Thanks.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 22, 2006, 03:33:12 PM »

Well there seems to be no control over the creture.  He pretty much goes out and attacks the first enemy he sees.  The good thing about it is it seems to automatically get the attention of enemies.  Now if my skeleton is beating on a goblin, then I hit it with spells, it will eventually decide to come after me instead as it sees me as a bigg threat.  The early skellies don't last long in battle though.  About 3 to 4 hits and it's down.  What I use it fo right now is distraction so that i can get a couple spells of while it engages the enemy, or against multiple enemies, it holds one off while I take on the other.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 22, 2006, 03:42:23 PM »

It seems that summoned creatures only last a short time too (less than a minute, 30-40 seconds on average) anyway to make them permanent? I got beat to death by some guards after I took a woman's horse and had to kill her since she woudn't let me go in peace and of course all these guards start chasing me and I resist arrest so they beat me nothing. My skeleton who I summoned attacked them but we just didn't stand a chance. I didn't realize the guards were so heavily armored and difficult to beat, nor do I see how they always seem to know what's going on.. I mean when I took that horse there were no guards around, and when I killed a woman yesterday it was around 5am outside town and there were no guards in sight, yet they all come rushing at you to arrest you somehow..

I'm adding to the "great game" comments though, pretty easy to lose track of time once you really start to get involved in the game and see just how much you can truly do in it, and the world is simply HUGE.

Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 22, 2006, 03:45:34 PM »

I was thinking about stealing a horse from a horse stall owned by a female orc outside the capitol but now I have second thought about it. Hmmmm.

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 22, 2006, 03:52:55 PM »

I hope this isn't something you guys consder a big spoiler, but:

After you finish one part of the main quest early on, you get a free horse.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 22, 2006, 04:01:45 PM »

So what do you do with that horse when you're not riding it?  Do I have to park it at a stable everytime I want to go into a city?  Or can I just leave it someplace where I hope I won't forget it?

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 22, 2006, 04:05:28 PM »

Quote from: "Dimmona"
So what do you do with that horse when you're not riding it?  Do I have to park it at a stable everytime I want to go into a city?  Or can I just leave it someplace where I hope I won't forget it?

I too was worried about this, but it seems that whenever you go to a city, the horse gets parked automatically in the stable there.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: