http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 01:50:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Impressions  (Read 48293 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2006, 12:09:18 AM »

Quote from: "Hetz"
I just got back with my copy!!!! (check my Gamertag for proof if you want  Tongue ). First impressions....the Collectors Edition is AWESOME! Very nice looking and really nicely made.

Installing now for the PC, going to eat some dinner to get my strength for the coming gaming marathon....then it's off into Tamriel...

be back later with impressions!  biggrin

:cry:

Well, I'm happy for you anyway.  Back to playing Suikoden V. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2006, 12:14:58 AM »

Quote from: "farley2k"
Lets keep it civil.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

While lots of people may not agree with LE, he isn't attacking any specific poster so lets not start.

He is, however, trolling. There is no content in his post to suggest he's PLAYED IT and therefore is derailing the point of this thread.

PS. I do understand his standpoint; but dropping that comment into an impressions thread without putting enough time to form an objective opinion is a waste of everyone's time.

Maybe he needs to go get his official "Legends" Unicorn and Tom Cruise dolls and give them conflicted personalities; sharing deep introspective moments of lustless self-loathing, and then have them fail at the point of redemption. You know, for shits-n-giggles. :roll:

Signed : a whore/idiot/ looking forward to Oblivion ninja
[edited for spelling ]

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2006, 12:19:36 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
RPGs were in turmoil...

Wow, that is the fucking dorkiest post I've ever read.
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2006, 12:23:39 AM »

Its RPG Codex distilled into a post.  GG!

olaf
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2006, 12:29:03 AM »

Quote from: "Soulchilde"
LE, why shit on other's parade?

Trolls have to have something to do.  Ever since the Billy Goats Gruff retired there's been a lack of work for their kind.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2006, 01:32:01 AM »

Quote from: "CeeKay"

Trolls have to have something to do.  Ever since the Billy Goats Gruff retired there's been a lack of work for their kind.

I think you mean Old Man Murray. slywink LE has been smacked down, good show, now back to the topic at hand. Thank you for playing. smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2006, 02:12:38 AM »

Gamespot's Video Review/12 hour marathon is up now.

It's actually really cool. smile I"m checking it out for a bit, while I wait for my wife to come down and join me for some Oblivion goodness (she wants to check out the game as well).

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2006, 02:17:50 AM »

if you have a Gamespot membership you can watch the live game play.
looks pretty cool so far.

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2006, 02:18:54 AM »

Someone's gotta clean up after Hetz.

Quote from: "warning"
Once Fallout 3 is released by Bethseda your head will just assplode huh?

I predict Fallout 3 will be so terrible, it'll retroactively cause Fallout and Fallout 2 to suck.

Basically, I'm conditioning myself to survive release day.  Negative expectation = joy, not disappointment, when it fails.

Quote from: "philosophist_"
If this game is *at least* as fun as Morrowind, I'll be in gaming nirvana for several months.

If the game's as fun as Morrowind, my coffee mug will be in coaster nirvana for several months.

Quote from: "Purge"
He is, however, trolling. There is no content in his post to suggest he's PLAYED IT and therefore is derailing the point of this thread.
Nor is there any in yours.  Hypocrite.

More to the point, there haven't been any impressions in this thread yet.  There was a Hetzjaculation about the box or some shit, but that's hardly what we're here for, now is it?

Quote from: "rrmorton"
Wow, that is the fucking dorkiest post I've ever read.
Complaining about dorkiness in a gaming forum.  Loss.

So, while we wait, anyone want to make bets on how many new Oblivion threads we'll see over the next three weeks?  I'm gonna say... 12.  This is starting now, not counting the ones that already exist.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2006, 02:30:53 AM »

Someone's gotta clean up after Hetz.

Quote from: "warning"
Once Fallout 3 is released by Bethseda your head will just assplode huh?

I predict Fallout 3 will be so terrible, it'll retroactively cause Fallout and Fallout 2 to suck.

Basically, I'm conditioning myself to survive release day.  Negative expectation = joy, not disappointment, when it fails.

Except the only thing that is failing here is going to be you and your trolling.

Seriously, why don't you post this shit over at RPG Codex? You will be among your own kind over there and they will welcome this nonsense with open arms.

Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2006, 02:46:41 AM »

Quick impressions after an hour of play:
(360 version)

Wonderful graphics
Love the physics model
Face and voices of the NPCs so far are excellent
The interface for the 360 version is very nice, very streamlined. I was worried about casting spells but it's easy as pie (right bumper) You can map any spells or weapons to the directional buttons and then select them quickly and easily during battle
Combat seems good so far, but haven't faced many different creatures yet
Musical score is fantastic
Very good tutorial section (that I'm nearing the end of) It gives you a good taste of a variety of things to help you determine your personal style
The coin that comes with the CE is awesome

Small early tip that shouldn't spoil anything: equip the torch as soon as you are able

All good (great actually) so far. back to the game!

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2006, 02:50:30 AM »

Some people get off on being assholes, It's just the way of the world.  Ignore him and move along.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2006, 02:57:44 AM »

Except the only thing that is failing here is going to be you and your trolling.

Seriously, why don't you post this shit over at RPG Codex? You will be among your own kind over there and they will welcome this nonsense with open arms.

Dude, you get two versions of the game, you play for a few hours and this is what you give us?  

How about impressions?  Differences betwen PC and 360 version?  How about a few screen shots?  As I recall from when you got the 360 you are good at posting shots.  Some of your stuff looked great.  

Pleaes impress us with details instead of forum fighting.

Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2006, 02:58:35 AM »

Hey, nice sig material!

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
philosophist_
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2006, 03:11:42 AM »

Quote from: "Cleric7"
Quick impressions after an hour of play:
(360 version)

Wonderful graphics

Actually, I'm very disappointed with the graphics. After all the videos, I expected much more. The framerate was choppy in many places in the dungeon, and I jumped in the water towards the end, but couldn't get out because of clipping. Finally, when I stepped outside, I was taken aback by how horribly low res the distant textures were. Better than fog, I suppose, but not at all what i expected...
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2006, 03:25:09 AM »

I must say after watching the Gamespot marathon for awhile that I'm glad I did becuz it convinced me that this game is not for me.  One, I agree with the previous poster that the graphics are very disappointing, and two, all that dialogue bores me to tears.  I have never been able to play a game that has volumes and volumes of text and dialogue.  I just get tired quickly with it.  When it comes to reading I prefer a good book instead.  But I can see why there is plenty here for those who love that stuff.  I am happy for those folks.  For me to like it, I think, I would need the lite edition-1/3 the talk and 2/3 action.  Alas, that is not what these games appear to be.

Good thing for me is I can now use the money I was gonna spend on this for Blazing Angels and not feel so bad about spending the money for both.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2006, 03:35:23 AM »

I agree with you completely mike.  I've tried Morrowwind a couple of times and I just absolutely cannot get into it.  I get to the part where you get out of the boat and make your guy and then you go talk to the owner of that bar or whatever and it's just heaps and heaps of text. Enough to bore you to tears.
You spend forever just clicking through all the different dialogue options.  And I never got the feeling that I was ever actually talking to the barman, more like just reading some book that he had left on the counter.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2006, 04:17:52 AM »

Quote from: "Canuck"
I agree with you completely mike.  I've tried Morrowwind a couple of times and I just absolutely cannot get into it.  I get to the part where you get out of the boat and make your guy and then you go talk to the owner of that bar or whatever and it's just heaps and heaps of text. Enough to bore you to tears.
You spend forever just clicking through all the different dialogue options.  And I never got the feeling that I was ever actually talking to the barman, more like just reading some book that he had left on the counter.

I agree with alot of that.  I feel the same way about most RPG's.  I am still getting Oblivion and I will approach it with an open mind.  But if I like it, it will be the first RPG I finish except for SRPGS like FF Tactics or Disgaea.  The concept of Oblivion sounds amazing.  But I fear that playing it for long stretches might just bore me to tears.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2006, 04:32:48 AM »

Quarter to Three has some pretty middling opinions of Oblivion so far.  

Check the thread.

In that thread is one of the first non-doctored pictures of the game--and when I say non-doctored, it's not to be contrarian, it's because the pics we've seen so far have to be doctored when the real thing is like this.

That's seriously some of the ugliest distance terrain I've ever seen.  As mentioned in the QT3 thread, Tribes: Vengeance and Farcry were both prettier than that, and those games are two years old.

Also:

-Faces are still atrociously ugly. (Just saw Cleric's post saying they're good -- care to elaborate Cleric?)
-Voice acting is bad/obnoxious. (ditto)
-Philosophist encountered a clipping problem within the first 15 minutes that trapped his character and forced him to load from the last save.

The sole PC user is reporting frequent CTDs.

Sounds like a typical Bethsoft release.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2006, 04:37:02 AM »

Dang. Looking at that pic I get the feeling it's either 1024 or 800 with medium to low settings and light bloom/shadows all off. Which is basically how my machine would have to run it. Oh well. smile

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2006, 04:41:37 AM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Dang. Looking at that pic I get the feeling it's either 1024 or 800 with medium to low settings and light bloom/shadows all off. Which is basically how my machine would have to run it. Oh well. smile
1280x1024 actually...   :?

Actually, it gets worse.  The original post reads,

This is supposedly on max settings on a PC at 1280x1024 and even here the distance textures don't look so hot IMO. How doe this shot compare philosophist?

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2006, 04:46:03 AM »

Later on in that same post there are some pics that do look noticably better though it does look like distance textures are teh suxxors even on higher end PCs. At least with the specs some of those guys/gals have. Bottom of page three has a few shots that look good and some that look meh.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2006, 04:51:58 AM »

Ok, I've put about 2 hours in so far on the Xbox 360 version.....and I LOVE IT! smile

I don't know what in the world philosophist is talking about when he says is looks horrible, but I think it looks simply amazing. Are you playing on an HD set or not? I've played a bit on the PC as well and the 360 version looks basicly identical. It looks great, in fact I think the lighting looks a little better on the 360 version than the PC version (maybe my HD set is calibrated better than my monitor right now), but it really looks about the same. Yeah, some of the distance textures are not that great....but you don't really notice it at all, since the rest of the world is so beautiful.

Words can't describe how vast this game is. When you first get out of the sewers and see the outside it is a gaming moment that you remember forever. Vast is really an understatement. I just got into the Imperial City to check out the AI and whatnot and I am damn impressed. People go about their business, eating , sleeping...talking on the street with each other . The conversations I have heard on the street are very well done. It really feels like a virtual word.

This game stomps all over Morrowind in nearly everyway. The world is MUCH more alive and involving. It's still a huge sandbox for those that like that, but it can also be very focused as well. The voice acting is also VERY well done.

Well, back to the game. So far, it meets every single one of my expectations and then some. Even my wife was very impressed! smile

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2006, 04:54:12 AM »

Quote from: "farley2k"

Dude, you get two versions of the game, you play for a few hours and this is what you give us?  

How about impressions?  Differences betwen PC and 360 version?  How about a few screen shots?  As I recall from when you got the 360 you are good at posting shots.  Some of your stuff looked great.  

Pleaes impress us with details instead of forum fighting.

Actually, if you read my other posts, I hadn't played the game yet. I was waiting to play until after I had dinner and put my kids to bed.

LE, is a troll that wants this game to fail, which it is not going to. Simple as that.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2006, 04:56:12 AM »

Check the thread.

In that thread is one of the first non-doctored pictures of the game--and when I say non-doctored, it's not to be contrarian, it's because the pics we've seen so far have to be doctored when the real thing is like this.

That's seriously some of the ugliest distance terrain I've ever seen.  As mentioned in the QT3 thread, Tribes: Vengeance and Farcry were both prettier than that, and those games are two years old.

Also:

-Faces are still atrociously ugly. (Just saw Cleric's post saying they're good -- care to elaborate Cleric?)
-Philosophist encountered a clipping problem within the first 15 minutes that trapped his character and forced him to load from the last save.

I don't know why I am going to argue with a known troll and someone who wants to hate the game, but come on.  You read one or two people saying the game is ugly and jump all over it.

Not that I have played it yet either, but i have been watching the Gamespot live play.

Faces: They look exactly like they did in the movies. You like them or you don't. I don't think they are amazing, but they are good.

Voice acting: incredible, to average. Over the top at times, but come on, it's a video game.

One out of many many PC users is having CTD that I have read.

It's all about expectations and whether you want to like the game or not. LE clearly is looking for things to bitch about since he is not mentioning all the positive posts all over the net.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2006, 05:30:52 AM »

I've been watching the Gamespot feed and it's making me want Oblivion even more.   It looks like if you didn't like Morrowind, there won't be anything to change your mind about Oblivion, but that's probably a known fact.
The voice acting has seemed really solid for the most part.  Of course, whenever Patrick Stewart or Sean Bean speak, it raises the bar for the rest.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2006, 05:32:30 AM »

It's something how people want to make others feel the same way they do about a game, that's just idiotic.  if you don't like the game or the concept, then fine.  Find something you do like and move on, no need being a killjoy for people who are pumped, loved MW and already know they are gonna love  Oblivion.  It's really childish if you ask me., but we're gamers I guess we all have some inner child wanting to get out.  Some just use it to be a brat.

On to more important things, how does combat feel, especially the use of magic.  My one concern was that in goin with the 360 version I would not have the numerous hotkeys for spells and the like.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2006, 05:35:40 AM »

Gang, do any of you with HD sets and the 360 version also have a digital camera with which you can post "screenshots"? smile Just a thought.

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2006, 05:36:34 AM »

Check the thread.

[stuff edited out]

I know you're just dying to find things to justify your negative outlook LE, but seriously.  Philosophist seems quite alone so far in his complaints about the 360 versions graphics and he says he thinks there might be something wrong with his machine.  He has also yet to specify if he's playing the game on High Def or not.

As for "the sole PC user," he admits that his problems are isolated and that plenty of other PC users are having no such problems.

I think you just shot yourself in the foot. . .  :lol:

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2006, 05:43:55 AM »

Quote:

Hey, nice sig material!

that made me laugh my ass off too Zek! I mean seriously for all the bitching about LE, at least give him credit for the awesome line - i KNOW you guys all laughed too
philosophist_
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2006, 05:48:47 AM »

Quote from: "Sarkus"

Graphics on my 65" HDTV are disappointing for a graphics whore like me, but I'm having a blast with this one thus far. Will report back later.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2006, 05:58:25 AM »

We actually had a few people show up at the office today trying to pull a Ctrl-Alt-Delete and get into our office and into the launch party we were about to leave for smile  

Our strategy guide is now 23 on the amazon top sellers list, above Steven King, Oprah's Book Club selection, Harry Potter, and within two places of the Da Vinci Code.  Craziness!  

I couldn't be more excited to see people getting the game and loving it.  Morrowind was nothing like this.  My inbox is overflowing!  Cool  It feels great to finally get years and years of work into people's hands.

Remember if you run into trouble with either version, post on our Hardware and Software forum.  We've got a few QA people trawling them for issues.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2006, 06:02:59 AM »

Quote from: "StitchJones"
It's something how people want to make others feel the same way they do about a game, that's just idiotic.
The hypocrisy is staggering.  Oblivion target audience FTW.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2006, 06:07:32 AM »

From the QT3 thread:

Quote from: "mattpeckham"
Just a word to the wise--the official forums are listing a few loud complainers who basically say the game's a total washout on the 360 without the hard drive. Crazy load times, lots of jerking and pausing, etc.

PS3 delays and pretty much everyone that bought a core but no hard drive picking one up in the next 24 hours...they're running Dom Perignon through the waterworks at Microsoft right about now.

So, if you bought the Retard -- I mean, Core -- Pack, might want to consider the HDD before Oblivion.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2006, 06:12:26 AM »

Ron, what is the policy for banning people for incessant trolling? I am dead serious here. LE is not interested in contributing to a discussion. He has made that abundantly clear. He is only here to stir up shit.

Please ban this guy. The dozens of other posters who came here to discuss the game -- both pro and con -- in a reasonable, respectful manner -- deserve that!

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2006, 06:19:46 AM »

Quote from: "Lee"
It's all about expectations and whether you want to like the game or not.

Which is how a game's quality should be judged, after all.

LE clearly is looking for things to bitch about since he is not mentioning all the positive posts all over the net.
Sorry, I didn't look for posts 'all over the net,' nor did I even claim to.  I looked here and QT3, which as far as I'm concerned are the only two forums worth a shit.  (Though I do hear good things about Avault.)

I'm sure OO has plenty of lovely things to say about the Installshield, the box smell, and the system requirements' font.  So if you're feeling glum, run along back to them, I'm sure they'll be happy to coddle you back into idiocy.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2006, 06:22:50 AM »

I'm sure they'll be happy to coddle you back into idiocy.

that is a personal attack and against the Code of Conduct

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2006, 06:23:42 AM »

Everyone cool it.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2006, 06:30:30 AM »

LE is not interested in contributing to a discussion. He has made that abundantly clear.

This is the Oblivion impressions thread.  I'm reporting impressions of the game, along with some of my personal pre-impressions, just like everyone else in the thread.

So I'm a little confused as to where my lack of contribution is 'abundantly clear.'  Please advise.

Please ban this guy. The dozens of other posters who came here to discuss the game -- both pro and con -- in a reasonable, respectful manner -- deserve that!

Please learn to tolerate differing opinions.  You're welcome to argue with my points, but you can't call for my head just because I've written things you don't agree with.  

And I'm being a shitload more respectful than some of the other individuals in this thread.  But I don't see you complaining about them...

I'm sure they'll be happy to coddle you back into idiocy.

that is a personal attack and against the Code of Conduct

Against who?  OO?  Sorry bud, that's not a person.

Against Lee?  Work on the reading comprehension, bud -- it's pretty clear I'm saying Lee *isn't* an idiot, though he runs the risk of becoming one if he scuttles back to OO.

I did not have any intention of trolling and don't currently have any intention of doing so.  I have a skeptical opinion of Oblivion for a wide variety of reasons, all of which I'm sure you'll be able to figure out if you actually read my posts.

Mostly I want to read some fucking impressions of the game without having to respond to this OMG HE R H8 OBLIBION nonsense every other post.

In short:  you think the game's so great?  Convince me.  Post impressions.  Why do you like it?  Do you even like it?  Be honest, let's hear it.  Quit starting drama and recap the couple hours you spent with the game.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2006, 06:30:57 AM »

I can't verify that.  We don't know if this guy is using an overclocked gameboy to make this pictures.  I'll trust somebody HERE rather than "Somebody at QT3".  I'll also judge for myself tomorrow.  There is no proof here.

Also:

Matter of opinion
Matter of opinion
Lets see if it is repeatable.

Again - this could be caused by 1000000 things.  It could be crap ram, too much heat, overclocking to compensate for shite system specs.  We'll see when it is more 'released'.

I hope so.  Bethsoft titles are pretty great the last few years.  Daggerfall is a LONG time ago, and Call of Cthuhlu was made by Headfirst.

Everyone take a deep breath and stop with 'pre-impressions'.  Lets stick to the facts and leave the bullshit for other forums.  Its like the lotto - you can't win (or lose) unless you play.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: