http://gamingtrend.com
October 26, 2014, 07:14:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EGM May Issue - Scores/Rumors  (Read 2613 times)
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2007, 05:00:52 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on April 01, 2007, 04:40:45 AM

Quote from: EddieA on April 01, 2007, 03:59:45 AM

I can't see Bioware doing two MMORPGs at once, and they're already working on one.

Unless I missed something, nothing about that MMO has been announced so I it could be the KOTOR MMO. 

I would assume that is the KOTOR MMO as well-and I think it could be fascinating even though I am quite upset at no KOTOR 3. I think it is highly doubtful Bioware would have set up the MMO company in Austin without knowing this was coming in advance-chances are they could be a year along already.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2007, 05:05:22 AM »

Yeah, the silence on KOTOR 3 has been way too much.  KOTOR 2 did very well and Lucasarts just ain't gonna let a franchise like that die.  My guess is that they couldn't get any other reputable western RPG houses on board (after Bioware and Obsidian it's pretty much just Bethesda), so they went back to Bioware with hat in hand and begged them to take on KOTOR 3.  Bioware, interested in getting into the MMO field, proposes they make KOTOR an MMO, Lucasarts sees dollar signs after thinking of WoW, and ....
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2007, 05:13:30 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on April 01, 2007, 05:05:22 AM

Yeah, the silence on KOTOR 3 has been way too much.  KOTOR 2 did very well and Lucasarts just ain't gonna let a franchise like that die.  My guess is that they couldn't get any other reputable western RPG houses on board (after Bioware and Obsidian it's pretty much just Bethesda), so they went back to Bioware with hat in hand and begged them to take on KOTOR 3.  Bioware, interested in getting into the MMO field, proposes they make KOTOR an MMO, Lucasarts sees dollar signs after thinking of WoW, and ....

The problem with that is SOE's Star Wars Galaxies.  Unless $ony is shutting down Galaxies I have a hard time seeing a KotOR MMO being a viable option.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2007, 05:28:58 AM »

From everything I've heard Galaxies is pretty much dead anyway.  They tried revamping it and everything I've heard indicates that they failed.  I don't think you can get people interested in a Star Wars MMO again and retain the Galaxies name. 

Yeah, SOE might be pissed but Lucasarts owns the license and they would probably like to be associated with an MMO that is actually generating a decent amount of revenue. 
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2007, 05:37:57 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on April 01, 2007, 05:05:22 AM

Nah, Lucasarts was working on KOTOR3 for a while in-house.  It got the hatchet, most likely because next-gen RPGs are big and scary and LucasArts was going through a restructuring.  Assuming they're actually doing a SW: Galaxies successor, which wouldn't surprise me, I assume your version of the events would be roughly correct.

Of course, it's Bioware Austin, not Bioware proper.  It's a seperate development group that happens to fall under the aegis of Bioware.  The guy running it is Gordon Walton who's worked for nearly everyone in the industry except Bioware.  They did beam a creative director down from the mothership in Canadia but I would imagine that's about it.  Moving from Edmonton to Austin might as well be moving from the moon to Austin.  Most likely it's mostly SOE Austin and NCSoft ex-pats.

Gordon Walton's involvement makes the Star Wars rumor really interesting, since he was most recently SOE's Austin studio manager, working on... Galaxies: Jump to Light Speed!  Could we see Bioware/LucasArts/SOE all rolling around in the bed together?  Or it simply could be SOE just getting screwed, losing the Star Wars license and key people too.  Or the rumor could be totally wrong and the joke's on us icon_cool
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2007, 05:53:20 AM »

The rumor said that Bioware is "forming a new team to work on a KOTOR MMO", but Bioware Austin has been around and been working on their MMO for a year now.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2007, 06:00:54 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on April 01, 2007, 05:53:20 AM

The rumor said that Bioware is "forming a new team to work on a KOTOR MMO", but Bioware Austin has been around and been working on their MMO for a year now.

If any of this is true, I'd guess that part was incorrect.  It's hard to imagine Bioware jumpiing into two MMOs at the same time.  I would think either the first MMO wasn't panning out or that EGM got their wires crossed and it's been what Bioware Austin has been doing all along.

Consider that the internal development at Lucasarts was canned back in August or September 2004 (before KOTOR 2 was even released).  That's almost three years now.  Unless there is also a KOTOR 3 single player RPG in development now too (possible but again who would be developing it?), then that seems way too long for the property to wait to even begin work on another installment.  If the MMO is truly just starting then we're probably looking at three years of development, putting about six years between KOTOR releases. 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: