http://gamingtrend.com
August 27, 2014, 11:29:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EGM May Issue - Scores/Rumors  (Read 2575 times)
Hetz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 30, 2007, 08:02:04 PM »

From NeoGaf:

Rumors
- BioWare forming a new team to work on a KOTOR MMO.
- Dragon Age coming to the PS3.
- BioWare's DS game to be the new installment of the Baldur's Gate series.
- Another Halo game is in the works.
- Microsoft wanted to include a motion controller with Halo 3, but Bungie shot it down.
- Most all of Squares handheld games (DQ IX, Revenant Wings, Crisis Core, FF Tactics) will be pushed back to next year.
- New Simpsons game from EA based on the movie.

Review Scores - Wii
Super Paper Mario: 8, 9, 9 [Game of the Month]
Cooking Mama: Cook Off: 7, 8, 7.5
Medal of Honor: Vanguard: 4, 4, 6

Review Scores - Playstation 3
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion: 9.5, 8.5, 9

Review Scores - Xbox 360
Earth Defense Force 2017: 8, 7, 7.5
Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2: 8.5, 8, 7.5

Review Scores - Nintendo DS
Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Tales: 6, 6.5, 6.5
Wario: Master of Disguise: 4, 5, 5
Custom Robo Arena: 7.5, 8, 8
Lost in Blue: 5, 5.5, 4.5

Oh, and why is SPM Game of the Month when it scored lower than Oblivion?

Well, the PS3's Oblivion is essentially the same game as the one that came out last year on 360. It's still great, but we don't want the same already-honored game to nab another GOTM award when new games like Super Paper Mario deserve the love.

So there you go.

Coming in the June 2007 Issue
- World exclusive on the next Tom Clancy game from Ubi (completely new series).
- Hironobu Sakaguchi on the future of role-playing games and why he'll never make a game on the Playstation 3.
- Manhunt 2
- Progress report on Too Human.
- Pokemon Diamond/Pearl review.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 08:02:47 PM »

Dragon Age for PS3! Awesome!

New Baldurs Gate on the DS? Double Awesome!

Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 08:32:48 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on March 30, 2007, 08:02:04 PM

Oh please NOT an MMO!  Not a stupid ridiculous MMO!  WHERE'S KOTOR 3!!!!  SINGLE PLAYER!!!!  icon_mad
I'm not paying $15 per month to play a game every month.

This is horrible news.  JUST STUPID!!!!

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 08:33:33 PM »

Why the heck would Sakaguchi never create a game for the PS3? That just doesn't make sense for the same reasons I expect Square will eventually start making their games more cross-platform: don't limit your sales without good reason.

I hope Dragon Age comes to the 360 too, though I can grab it on the pc if necessary.

Disappointing news to hear that Square's releases may all be postponed to next year. thumbsdown

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 08:39:31 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on March 30, 2007, 08:32:48 PM

Oh please NOT an MMO!  Not a stupid ridiculous MMO!  WHERE'S KOTOR 3!!!!  SINGLE PLAYER!!!!  icon_mad

LOL.  awesome

(ps i love mmos.  besides, why do they owe you to make it single player?   icon_biggrin)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 08:43:17 PM »

The Square news is kind of bizarre.  Revenant Wings is coming out in Japan in April so it could easily be available for US release this year unless they are just holding it for strategic reasons.  FF Tactics would be shocking as well since it's only an upgraded port.  Though I would hope any delay in the US for it would be to give it a localization on par with it's Matsuno brethren (Vagrant Story, FFXII). 
warning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 08:50:05 PM »

Wow.   That's some Bioware news.  KOTOR MMO?  Count me in (sorry Starshifter) for that.  BG sequel on the DS?  Yowza.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 08:50:12 PM »

I'd be very surprised if Dragon Age gets ported to the PS3. I follow the Bioware forums fairly frequently and no mention or hint of this has ever been made. IMHO this is definitely a pipe dream for some PS3 fanboy(s) at EGM.

Bioware is also partially using DA to appease the Bioware PC fanbase, which has been very vocal in crying foul over the lack of new PC releases. I could never understand their arguments for the most part, but their appears to be many that are adamant that the PC is the only viable RPG platform.
Of course Bioware could just ignore them, but for the fact that sales of BG II and NWN earned them a fair chunk of cash while Jade Empire (XBox) earned them very little.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 08:56:57 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on March 30, 2007, 08:50:12 PM

I'd be very surprised if Dragon Age gets ported to the PS3. I follow the Bioware forums fairly frequently and no mention or hint of this has ever been made. IMHO this is definitely a pipe dream for some PS3 fanboy(s) at EGM.

FWIW, EGM's Rumors usually are pretty accurate.  They aren't just made up on the spot- those guys usually know a lot of stuff that they aren't allowed to reveal.  And when they aren't proved to be accurate it's usually because a deal fell through or something else changed from the time of the rumor. 

I'd be surprised if it was Dragon Age, but Bioware is confirmed to be working on something for the PS3 and between Mass Effect, Dragon Age, their Austin MMO offshoot, and the DS group, I'm not if they have another team unaccounted for. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007, 09:11:25 PM »

A KOTOR MMO is a big dissapointment to me. While I believe it will be light years better than Star Wars: Galaxies, I have almost zero desire for MMOs at this point in life and the phenomenal, brilliant storytelling and gameplay of KOTOR is ideally suited to single player RGPs. Colore me very dissapointed.

As for a possible Baldur's Gate III on the DS, well, I honestly cannot possibly express how disgusted I am with that news after waiting all these years hoping for a sequel. Can a DS handle the complexity of a game like Baldurs Gate 2, which is 7 years old? Can it actually display graphics of that caliber (1999 caliber) how could you possibly control a party, the complex quest system, read all the dialogue, etc on screens that small and without a mouse? If this is true it will have to be a complete and utter departure from the style, the 3D isometric view, and IMO the intregrity of the series. This is not a DS bash. I would feel the same with the PSP. I don't need a bastardized version of one of the greatest series in gaming history.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2007, 09:23:05 PM »

Rumors

Cool. Just last week I made a post where I said I wanted Bioware to port the Infinity Engine to the DS.

Lost in Blue: 5, 5.5, 4.5

Didn't this game come out a year-and-a-half ago?

- World exclusive on the next Tom Clancy game from Ubi (completely new series).

Tom Clancy's Firehawk. I'm betting it's a Battlefield-2 style multiplayer game.

- Hironobu Sakaguchi on the future of role-playing games and why he'll never make a game on the Playstation 3.

Because he's contractually obligated not to develop for any other console?

Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2007, 09:28:49 PM »

I will be all over a KOTOR MMO.  WoW was a great time for me, but my true love is sci-fi.  If you can tell I'm sort of fond of Star Wars as well.  The big question is if the target platform will be the PC or consoles?  Perhaps both but PC players would likely be left with a scaled down interface from the consoles.  Hmm...
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2007, 09:34:46 PM »

I think we all know the reason behind Sakaguchi saying he will never make a game on the PS3...

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2007, 09:37:57 PM »

icon_lol

What you just wrote sounds just like a 360 fanboys pipe dream....oh wait, it is!  icon_wink

Why would you be so surprised? The PS3 is the only system with a hard drive standard. It makes perfect sense for a PC game to be ported to it.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2007, 09:41:19 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on March 30, 2007, 09:23:05 PM

Rumors

Cool. Just last week I made a post where I said I wanted Bioware to port the Infinity Engine to the DS.

How do you see that happening? The volumes of text would be tiny, the party would be nigh uncontrollable, and can the DS even do that level of graphics?
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2007, 09:45:38 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on March 30, 2007, 09:41:19 PM

Rumors

How do you see that happening? The volumes of text would be tiny, the party would be nigh uncontrollable, and can the DS even do that level of graphics?

why couldn't the DS do it?  it's just 2D graphics, the DS does fine at 2D

the Infinity engine is not a 3D engine, dunno why you posted that earlier.  it's a 'third-person' isometric view, not a '3D' isometric view
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2007, 09:47:42 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on March 30, 2007, 09:45:38 PM

Rumors

why couldn't the DS do it?  it's just 2D graphics, the DS does fine at 2D

the Infinity engine is not a 3D engine, dunno why you posted that earlier.  it's a 'third-person' isometric view, not a '3D' isometric view
Thats what I meant. I haven't seen a DS game that looks anywhere near as good, as detailed, or has the spell type effects as BG2 did 7 years ago (and the DS is lower rez right?). There might be games of that caliber, but I haven't seen screenshots of them. And that still doesn't address fitting that massive amount of info on those two tiny screens, and the control issues.
Thats what I meant. I have not seen a DS game that looks remotely as good as BG2 did,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2007, 09:48:14 PM »

Rumors

Not sure why the interface wouldn't be suitable- stylus allows for easy Drag to Select then you can tap on an enemy to target them or fine your controls through the interface icons.  Indeed, I think the DS is the only platform that could actually handle an Infinity Engine style interface. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2007, 09:57:12 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on March 30, 2007, 09:48:14 PM

Rumors

Not sure why the interface wouldn't be suitable- stylus allows for easy Drag to Select then you can tap on an enemy to target them or fine your controls through the interface icons.  Indeed, I think the DS is the only platform that could actually handle an Infinity Engine style interface. 
Perhaps I am simply ignorant regarding the exactness of the stylus, I just imagined it being a much more cumbersome process than using a mouse. The volume of text particular to the BG series concerns me the most though.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2007, 10:47:48 PM »

KOTOR MMO is intriguing but Shifty's right. They should do the third SP installment first.  Besides, I'm sure I don't have the hardware to run it anyway.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2007, 12:36:57 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on March 30, 2007, 09:57:12 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on March 30, 2007, 09:48:14 PM

Rumors

Perhaps I am simply ignorant regarding the exactness of the stylus, I just imagined it being a much more cumbersome process than using a mouse. The volume of text particular to the BG series concerns me the most though.

For text, you could put the text in the upper window and have more than enough room for detailed dialogue. 
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2007, 01:08:11 AM »

Quote from: Starshifter on March 30, 2007, 08:32:48 PM

I completely agree, this is really awful.  KOTOR is one of the best single-player RPG's in years, and the last thing I want to do it be forced to play it online with other people.   If I wanted that, I would have subscribed to fucking SW Galaxies. 

Gah, I hate MMO games and wanted nothing more than to see a third installment for KOTOR.   icon_mad

The Baldur's Gate news is good though.  Using both screens would make it easy:  top for text and character info, bottom for gameplay.  That would actually be really damn cool.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2007, 01:29:39 AM »

I agree with Calvin on the issues with trying to do a Baldur's Gate title on the DS, or even the PSP.

My guess? They probably mean Dark Alliance 3, not Baldur's Gate 3.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2007, 02:11:54 AM »

Even if the KoTOR MMO does happen, that doesn't mean there won't be a single-player KoTOR 3.  It's actually probably more likely at this point, given the fact that they apparently have enough confidence in the series to make an MMO with it.  All 3 Bioware rumors seem pretty iffy, though.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2007, 02:55:35 AM »

I find it interesting that Lucasarts would allow a direct competitor to  Galaxies (unless they are giving up on it, which I am sure would piss SOE off).

BG for the DS is intriguing. I agree that the top sceen could be used for text during conversations, but I also have a hard time figuring out how to display graphics similar to the PC games. Not due to sheer power of the console, but just tininess of the screen. It should be interesting.

I still say that as brilliant as Blizzard is, they are fools for not making a Diablo DS (unless of course they are). Diablo DS would make so much money I shudder at the thought....I know I would buy it on day 1 and be giddy with excitement.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2007, 02:59:20 AM »

it is wholly conceivable that they created an entirely new engine for the a BG DS title. Actually I could see the NWN cut down better to the DS. Especially after reading an article by a developer about how powerful the DS's 3d hardware really is.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2007, 03:08:34 AM »

Quote from: Tebunker on March 31, 2007, 02:59:20 AM

it is wholly conceivable that they created an entirely new engine for the a BG DS title. Actually I could see the NWN cut down better to the DS. Especially after reading an article by a developer about how powerful the DS's 3d hardware really is.

Oh I doubt they would try or bother porting the Infinity engine for real. I just have doubts about being able to display anything even comparable on such a small screen. We'll see if this rumor is true. Hard to believe this woudln't be a must buy game if it happens.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2007, 03:08:48 AM »

I am willing to bet mucho money that by Baldur's Gate they meant Dark Alliance. No way do they try a "true" Baldur's Gate title on the DS.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2007, 03:12:03 AM »

Bioware had absolutely zilch to do with any of the Dark Alliance games so I would be surprised if they were developing Dark Alliance 3. 
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2007, 10:31:25 AM »

Quote from: Hetz on March 30, 2007, 09:37:57 PM

icon_lol

What you just wrote sounds just like a 360 fanboys pipe dream....oh wait, it is!  icon_wink

Why would you be so surprised? The PS3 is the only system with a hard drive standard. It makes perfect sense for a PC game to be ported to it.

Hetz, for Christs sake give it a rest. If you read any of my posts for the last few months you'd know that I'm anything but a 360 fanboy. I don't even own one and I frequently criticize it in this forum; albeit constructive criticisms. Go ahead and call me a Nintendo fanboy if you like, but for Pete's sake not a 360 fanboy.

Trust me when I say that there's legions of fans of Biowares' PC titles that would have nothing to do with Bioware ever again if they ported Dragon Age to the PS3 or any other console for that matter. I've read the posts of this contingency with amusement for the past few years. They have far more of a chip off their shoulder about being neglected by Bioware than you do about a Bioware game coming to the PS3. Personally I think it would be great if a game like DA made it to the PS3, but I don't think we'll see it happen as Bioware is blasted by it's PC fans on a daily basis.

On another note, I wouldn't be surprised if Bioware releases some other RPG for the PS3, just not DA. But hell, maybe Bioware's had enough of the PC fanclubs bitching and are starting to get tough; anythings possible. I admit to being a bit harsh in calling EGM staff members PS3 fanboys but my comment stems from my complete lack of respect for their publication. I can't recall reading a worse gaming publication ever, so I'm always surprised when you quote it.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 10:47:14 AM by kronovan » Logged
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2007, 05:06:13 PM »

Bioware has been pretty stringent in positioning Dragon Age as a PC-only title.  I'd be surprised if that rumor was true.  If it was, I would expect a situation similar to KOTOR where the PC came out six months after the Xbox.  Only I'd expect it to be reversed with the PC version coming first.
Vikki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2007, 05:35:05 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on March 30, 2007, 09:37:57 PM

icon_lol

What a caustic sounding reply to a person's opinion that is grounded in some truth.  Here is what Bioware COmmunity manager had to say about the rumor:

Chris Priestly
Community Coordinator
There does seem to be some confusion here. I haven't seen the latest EGM, but we have announced Dragon Age is a PC exclusive title. I 'm not sure where they are getting the idea there is a PS3 version.

I know recently, at the DICE conference, Ray was interviewed and mentioned that we're are working with the PS3. This part is true cuz as a company we are always looking at future possibilities or for new game ideas. I imagine many companies have PS3s, 360s and such on hand to investigate the possibility of developing games for them. BUt this wasn't Ray saying "DA is a PS# exclusive" or anything. It was just him saying we are investigating things (which we are).

Maybe it's that comment that lead someone to make that assumption. And you know what happens when you make assumptions. You get umption all over yourself.

http://forums.bioware.com/viewtopic....56977&forum=84

Is it coming to the PS3?  Maybe, who knows for sure but saying someone is pipe dreamer because they do not believe EGM's rumor mill is a bit silly. 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 05:37:27 PM by Vikki » Logged
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2007, 07:05:11 PM »

Thanks for the info Vikki-that particular rumor seemed far-fetched.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2007, 09:05:54 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on March 31, 2007, 07:05:11 PM

Ditto to that. Thanks for digging up Chris Priestly's quote Vikki.
Vikki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2007, 09:14:22 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on March 31, 2007, 07:05:11 PM

No Problem,

I would be surprised if Bioware did not develop a game for the PS3 (there have been rumors about that for a couple years).  As Hetz mentioned the standard HDD is probably very appealing for them and Bioware has no problem creating games for platforms with smaller user bases (ala Xbox) probably because they realize their games are going to sell no matter what system they are on.  As for it being Dragon Age, maybe but one rumor from EGM is certainly not indisputable evidence that all should accept. 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 11:03:30 PM by Vikki » Logged
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2007, 09:35:26 PM »

I will believe the KOTOR and BG stuff when I see it since the Bioware head honchos have stated more than once they want to move into doing their own IP that they control(hence Jade Empire, Mass Effect, and Dragon Age), but I guess if enough money has been thrown their way they could change their minds.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2007, 10:34:02 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on March 31, 2007, 09:35:26 PM

I will believe the KOTOR and BG stuff when I see it since the Bioware head honchos have stated more than once they want to move into doing their own IP that they control(hence Jade Empire, Mass Effect, and Dragon Age), but I guess if enough money has been thrown their way they could change their minds.

Bioware doing a KOTOR MMO makes perfect sense to me.  Yeah, they are focusing on new IPs but it's so hard to break into MMOs that having an existing IP attached to it (especially Star Wars) is going to go a long way toward getting people to sample it right off.  Galaxies failure may hurt a little by association but the flip side is that Bioware is pretty much known as the dev that "did Star Wars right" so they should get some mileage from that. 
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2007, 03:59:45 AM »

I can't see Bioware doing two MMORPGs at once, and they're already working on one.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2007, 04:40:45 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on April 01, 2007, 03:59:45 AM

I can't see Bioware doing two MMORPGs at once, and they're already working on one.

Unless I missed something, nothing about that MMO has been announced so I it could be the KOTOR MMO. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2007, 04:59:54 AM »

I feel a presence I have not felt in a long time.... one year to be exact....

an April Fools joke.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: