http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 04:42:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EBGames going away.  (Read 3314 times)
EngineNo9
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2007, 03:08:37 AM »

I am not a fan of GameStop by any stretch of the imagination, but I have also had some less than stellar experiences at Best Buy so I wouldn't give them the halo and wings either.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2007, 03:15:58 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 25, 2007, 12:43:04 AM

Quote from: pr0ner on January 24, 2007, 11:02:41 PM

Quote from: SuperHiro on January 24, 2007, 09:49:58 PM

I call it LameStop.

HARHARHAR.  That's a real knee-slapper.  TAKE THAT GAMESTOP. From my parent's basement in Wyoming, I stab at thee!

Oh my.

Unbreakable: at the Gamestop I go to, I've actually never once been asked if I've preordered.  If I go in there for a game I really want shortly after release, if they've got it in stock, it's mine.  No questions asked.

And the Gaystop surf-bots have now pieced together where you live and what store you're referencing.  Someone just got fired.

Man, I sure hope not!  Whomever manages that store has always had it together.  I've never once been told "you can't buy the game because you didn't preorder it".  Then again, I don't do anything to piss off retailers, so I guess retail karma has never come to bite me in the ass, either.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 03:19:48 AM by pr0ner » Logged

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
TC Weidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2007, 03:38:15 AM »

the eb and gamestops around me always smell like ass.  whats up with that. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2007, 03:41:11 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on January 25, 2007, 03:08:37 AM

I am not a fan of GameStop by any stretch of the imagination, but I have also had some less than stellar experiences at Best Buy so I wouldn't give them the halo and wings either.

Best Buy has gotten a ton better lately in my area, but god they used to be the anti-christ.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2007, 04:04:58 AM »

Can we move this thread out of console gaming, please?

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2007, 04:17:28 AM »

Quote from: TC Weidner on January 25, 2007, 03:38:15 AM

the eb and gamestops around me always smell like ass.  whats up with that. 

Nerdstink?   icon_eek

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2007, 04:21:12 AM »

I'm still looking for that really good game store around me.  I used to have a really good one.  Of course, it was the EB I ran, but then I got tired of dealing with Gamestop corporate, so I stopped working there, and now I'm on the other side of the counter in a new town.  smile

There's a Best Buy that's kind of on my way home from work that usually seems to have stuff I'm looking for, and they're generally my preferred store.  Of course, When I was looking for Elite Beat Agents on the day it came out, I asked someone for it, he went away and came back to tell me that they had some in the back room, but he couldn't get me one because it would mess up their inventory.  I went across the parking lot to Target and gave them my money.  

There's a Best Buy much closer to my office as well, but that one has been nothing but terrible.  Poor layout, poorly organized, and terrible on the phone.  Last time I called, I was kept on hold waiting for someone to pick up in the department I wanted for 15 minutes.  When I expressed my displeasure to the employee who picked up, they got snotty and told me I should be mad at someone else because they just got there.  

There's a Gamestop very close to my office, but I have a very hard time shopping there because of one employee.  This guy is constantly belligerent to customers, myself included, about preordering, even in the midst of the Gears of War fiasco.  The topper was a few weeks ago when I heard him bragging to another customer about how he'd won $100 because the guy two was shot over a PS3 died, and he'd had a bet that someone would be killed during the console's launch period.  This was while standing in the middle of the store.  I flat out refuse to deal with that guy, and I swore off dealing with that store when at all avoidable.  Easily done, because the store's stock is very poor and messy.

Before Christmas, I found a really nice EB near my office that I hadn't known about.  Nice staff, clean, organized, and well-stocked.  Of course, just after new year's, they shut down, most likely due to their more out of the way location and proximity to the Gamestop mentioned above.  I was very sad that day.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2007, 12:28:28 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on January 25, 2007, 04:21:12 AM

even in the midst of the Gears of War fiasco

Ugh...I'd managed to block that out. Thanks for the reminder  icon_wink

JLu

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2007, 01:31:57 PM »

This guy is constantly belligerent to customers, myself included, about preordering, even in the midst of the Gears of War fiasco

I recently moved and have been going to the local Gamestop.  On the day I picked up my Gears of War three/four days late, they asked me if I wanted a Halo3 preorder, I declined but was told that 'we've almost sold out of our allotment'.  I just laughed at that point -- you are a few days late on getting me the third preorder I've ever done (granted, not their fault), and you want me to preorder a game a year in advance that will be EVERYWHERE on the day it comes out?  Um, no thanks.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2007, 02:17:05 PM »

Quote from: JLu on January 25, 2007, 01:31:57 PM

This guy is constantly belligerent to customers, myself included, about preordering, even in the midst of the Gears of War fiasco

I recently moved and have been going to the local Gamestop.  On the day I picked up my Gears of War three/four days late, they asked me if I wanted a Halo3 preorder, I declined but was told that 'we've almost sold out of our allotment'.  I just laughed at that point -- you are a few days late on getting me the third preorder I've ever done (granted, not their fault), and you want me to preorder a game a year in advance that will be EVERYWHERE on the day it comes out?  Um, no thanks.

I do talk about preorders a lot. For one thing, it's part of my job. But I do think there's value in it (as I've gotten older I now see the value in knowing where I'm going to find something rather than hunting all over like I used to). If I didn't think there was value in it, I wouldn't do it. I actually like that about my job with GS. While I know some of the folks here don't care for them, I feel like the things we are asked to do truly benefit customers. But that kind of tactic you are describing above I find distasteful. Yes, I have raised the possibility with customers interested in the collector versions of Halo that there's no telling when reserves might get cut off (Burning Crusade CE was less than a week IIRC), but "almost sold out of our allotment"? Clearly, this individual must know more than I do.

JLu

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2007, 03:19:25 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on January 25, 2007, 02:17:05 PM

Quote from: JLu on January 25, 2007, 01:31:57 PM

I do talk about preorders a lot. For one thing, it's part of my job. But I do think there's value in it (as I've gotten older I now see the value in knowing where I'm going to find something rather than hunting all over like I used to). If I didn't think there was value in it, I wouldn't do it. I actually like that about my job with GS. While I know some of the folks here don't care for them, I feel like the things we are asked to do truly benefit customers. But that kind of tactic you are describing above I find distasteful. Yes, I have raised the possibility with customers interested in the collector versions of Halo that there's no telling when reserves might get cut off (Burning Crusade CE was less than a week IIRC), but "almost sold out of our allotment"? Clearly, this individual must know more than I do.

I don't really have a problem with the push for preorders: I know it's part of the job there -- it just struck me as amusing that the woman implied that if I didn't preorder the game, I might not be able to get it (had she specified the CE, well that's another thing)...  I'm at the point where, if I have to wait a week to play a new game, that really isn't a big deal; and Halo3 won't exactly be a rare title... 

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2007, 03:28:49 PM »

At my local EB if I don't pre-order a big release there's a very good chance I won't be able to get it on it's release day.  It might have something to do with the big freaking college 2 blocks away and low unit allocations.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2007, 03:30:59 PM »

Part of the problem with Gamestop management is that they exert extremely high pressure on their underlings to produce numbers, and they don't look too closely at the means used to achieve them.  When I was running them, I wouldn't allow my employees to use any of the underhanded tactics I knew that my fellow managers used.  The result was that our numbers were good, but their numbers were consistently better.  The upper management is under the same kind of pressure to produce numbers, so it's not in their best interest to look too closely at how their stores are getting the numbers they are.

The bottom line is that how good a particular Gamestop store is depends very heavily on the attitude of the manager.  Unfortunately, the good managers frequently don't last long because they either find better paying jobs (of which there are many), leave of their own accord after becoming disenchanted with the company, or are driven out because they can't keep up with the stores using "shortcuts".  It's too bad, really.

jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2007, 04:08:10 PM »

Crazy.  As a gamer, I don't think I've ever benefitted from any question, information or advice that an EBGames or GameStop employee has offered.

Gems like:

"Hi - did you bring any games to trade in today?"  To which I always reply "I sure did!" even though my hands are obviously empty.

"Hmmm... did you pre-order that?  Sorry, then we can't sell one to you today."   

"Would you like to look through our preorder book?  Yeah?  Ok, great.  What game?  Don't know anything about that one.  Never heard of that one either.  No, don't know about that one.  Nope.  Uh uh.  No.  Do you want to pre-order Halo 3 or Madden 08?"

"Our PC Games section?  It's in that box behind the desk in the manager's office.  The opened ones?  Yeah, they're new.  Seriously, they are.  They're all $40, except for the ones with no packaging at the bottom of the box.  Those are $50."

"No, we can't take a Wii preorder.  No, we don't know when we'll get any in stock.  No, we don't have a waiting list.  No, we won't release any other information.  No, we can't help you acquire that console in any way.  You could trade in a GameCube on a Wii and get a great deal though, do you want to do that?"

"Hi! Did you bring any games to trade in today?  No? Ok.  Hey, we're taking pre-orders for Phoenix Wright today, would you like to put $5 down to guarantee the game on release day?  Which system?  Uh... PS2, I think, right?  Hey, Bubba, that Phoenix game is PS2, right?  What?  Oh, DS?  It's for the DS.  Comes out next week.  What kind of game?  It's like a shooter."

"Hi, did you find everything you need?  Great.  These 3 used games come to $150.  What?  The buy 2 used games get 1 free sale?  Sorry, man, that expired yesterday.  Yeah, those placards are still on the shelves 'cause we haven't had time to take them down yet but the sale's over.  That 50 foot banner promoting the sale that's stretched across the entire front of the store?  Yeah, we should take that down.  Did you still want these 3, then?"

"Hi! Did you bring any games-  What?  Yeah, all of those PC games should come with some kind of manual, I think.  Yours didn't have one?  Man, that sucks.  No, I can't exchange it because it's, like, open already.  Well, yeah, we open them before we sell them but that's, like, different.  No, when we open them and take the discs out we always, like, put everything all back in there.  Sorry, man, can't help you there.  You should, like, download a manual off the internet or something."

"Hi, did you find everything today?  Great.  Dude, you're buying this Warhammer game?  Man, I hear this sucks.  You should buy Grand Theft Auto Liberty Stories instead, it's way better."

"No, the original DS is exactly the same console as the DS Lite, only the original is a lot sturdier.  Otherwise, there's no difference."

At the closest retail center to me (60 miles), a GameStop just opened in the parking lot of the mall that contains an EBGames.  They're both horrid. 
unbreakable
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2007, 04:26:20 PM »

Quote from: jament on January 25, 2007, 04:08:10 PM

At the closest retail center to me (60 miles), a GameStop just opened in the parking lot of the mall that contains an EBGames.  They're both horrid. 

Wow, that's like the Starbucks across the street from the Starbucks.  Maybe Lewis Black should start making fun of EB/Gamestop!

BTW, who owns the "GameCrazy" stores?
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2007, 04:41:32 PM »

Meh. EBGames, Gamestop.  It makes no difference to me.

If I want the game the day it releases I go to EB and buy it.  Otherwise I just go to Best Buy, Micro Center, etc.  All stores ask for service plans, pre-orders, etc these days. Gamestop is no different.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2007, 05:00:40 PM »

Quote from: jament on January 25, 2007, 04:08:10 PM

stuff

That was funny, and oh so true. 

I used to really like my local Gamestop.  They didn't use a lot of high pressure tactics, they were knowledgeable about games, I was on a first name basis with most of them, etc., etc.  Unfortunately, it has gone completely to shit in the 2 months since the last manager left, and I rarely go in there anymore.  Most of the knowledgeable staff has quit, and been replace with a group of l33t g4m3rz.  If you can actually pry one of them away from talking to their friends long enough to ask a question, it becomes very evident that they know absolutely nothing about games outside of the major mainstream titles (Halo, Madden, WoW, etc.).  Trying to find any niche titles in that store is like pulling teeth.  Took 15 minutes and 3 different employees to track down Yggdra Union the other day, even though I gave them the exact spelling and the system it was for.  Then, as the guy was ringing me up, he actually said to the other employee, "I can't believe people pay for this Japanese crap".  I probably should have said something to him, but I figured it wasn't worth the effort.

It's to the point that I will drive 10-15 minutes out of my way to go to another store, rather than stepping foot in there.  A shame, really.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Samurai
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2007, 07:26:48 PM »

Oh yeah, remember some more stuff.

I was buying a DS game (forget which one) and the retail monkey INSISTED that I look through the preorder book before he went to the drawers to fetch the cartridge, even when I kept saying I wasn't interested in preordering anything.

Another time I was browsing the store, and a 12 year old kid or so was buying a game with some cash his mom gave him. This was in a mall and I think his mom was just outside the store waiting for him to finish. During the transaction, the clerk keeps badgering him about preordering, telling the kid he will get fired if he doesn't preorder a game! I couldn't believe it! Is the kid supposed to whip out his credit card and put Halo 3 on preorder or something?  icon_confused

Welcome to the Bovine.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2007, 07:28:16 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on January 25, 2007, 04:26:20 PM

BTW, who owns the "GameCrazy" stores?

All the ones around here are attached to Hollywood Video stores.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: