http://gamingtrend.com
August 31, 2014, 10:57:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ebay the 360 or not?  (Read 5991 times)
Laner
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2005, 10:53:09 PM »

Quote from: "mytocles"

Watch this one if you want an idea of the current trend (and find others by searching for the latest listed and checking if they're a one day auction):

LINK HERE   - the seller put it up for a one day auction with no reserve probably a 99-cent starting bid (very brave!), it's been on for about a half hour and is at $76 right now...

Looks like he's broken even with 17 hours to go...
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2005, 01:13:32 AM »

Quote from: "Laner"

Watch this one if you want an idea of the current trend (and find others by searching for the latest listed and checking if they're a one day auction):

LINK HERE   - the seller put it up for a one day auction with no reserve probably a 99-cent starting bid (very brave!), it's been on for about a half hour and is at $76 right now...

The sniping for that auction is going to be crazy!  I'd almost give it a whirl for $500 since I could probably pick it up in person.  Not that I imagine it's going to sell for anything close to that.  I'm actually curious what the maximum bid is right now.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2005, 03:05:05 AM »

I'll bet the seller is even more interested, lol...  And look at the bidders - 0 feedback, 1, 11, 18... no major players yet. I'd be sweating - and maybe drinking, by now - if I was "paradoxgolf."  

Oh, wait - I am drinking!  But I'm not the seller.  :lol:

CRAP! Perfectly good post, and before I could get it out, I rechecked the auction - and it's jumped to $500!  But at least it was only triggered by a 3-feedback person! Tongue

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2005, 03:09:45 AM »

Man I can't believe the ebay market is supporting all these units. Makes me so frustrated I didn't get one.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2005, 03:19:25 AM »

Calvin, don't take me wrong, because I can't remember why you didn't get one... but I'm wondering why you didn't go camp out at a retailer like Target or Best Buy?  Bring a handheld, some snacks, and after that - it's all just waiting and being tired...?  :?

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2005, 04:36:48 AM »

My Circuit City one just went for 910.00 on Ebay.  It was bought by a young college-age chick.  In a way I KINDA feel bad knowing that she probably didn't have the cash to pay for it but rather charged it.  But then again....that's not my problem.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2005, 05:03:44 AM »

I'm hearing reports that second shipment has arrived at many EB's/Gamestops and Best Buys. Anywhere from 10 more to 100 more units arrived today at many stores, in time for Black Friday.

Looks like MS might be keeping their word on restocking weekly...looks like the bottom might fall out sooner than people thought on the Ebay market...

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2005, 05:05:59 AM »

My WalMart one should be here Friday.  It's also going on Ebay.  This will be a nice test to see what the prices are this weekend.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2005, 10:23:33 PM »

Quote from: "Laner"

That one went for $870.  And now they have 7 more on hand to sell.  Yeah, I must say I am envious.  Not that they will be making serious $$$, but by the fact that they had at least 8 of them when I have 0. frown

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2005, 11:35:49 PM »

Quote from: "Hetz"
I'm hearing reports that second shipment has arrived at many EB's/Gamestops and Best Buys. Anywhere from 10 more to 100 more units arrived today at many stores, in time for Black Friday.

Looks like MS might be keeping their word on restocking weekly...looks like the bottom might fall out sooner than people thought on the Ebay market...

I don't know about the big box retailers, but GameStop is most definately not getting a second shipment for Friday.  Since launch my store has receive all of 2 more systems.  What is going on, though, is that stores are calling the next people on the reserve list to pick up systems that haven't been picked up by 48 hours, which expired at close on Wednesday.  That's not a very high number, however, just 3 out of 40 at my store.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2005, 06:42:01 AM »

My second one just went for $900 also tonight.

Made a cool $1010 profit all together.  I'll buy a 360 next month (for free now) and stash away the other $600 until later.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2005, 12:37:47 PM »

Quote from: "Greggy_D"

I'll buy a 360 next month (for free now) and stash away the other $600 until later.

Yeah, good luck with that!

The rate MS is shipping consoles, it might be next March or April before you can just walk into stores and buy one.....unless you are lucky or go back every single day to see if they got them in.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2005, 01:24:14 PM »

I have no problem with that either.  I'm in no rush.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2005, 03:27:56 PM »

Yeah, my spare one went for $780 and now I am seriously considering putting my other one up and see if two weeks b4 Xmas if I can't get a cool thousand.  I think about then desperation will start to set in for those having to have one for the rich kids.  

I too am in no hurry, especially when you look at the fact that the really really good games don't come out til March or later.  One thing is for sure on day one of the preorder for the PS3 I will be preordering 3 units.  If there is a shortage, I'm set.  If not, I just return em.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2005, 03:42:35 PM »

Wow I remember the good ol' days when people used to preorder so that they could get a console-not so that they could make a fortune off it.  Although people have gotten so crazy that it makes good sense to do it.  I'd like to see a limit of 1 person per preorder.  I mean, it's not exactly like stores will have trouble selling all they have in stock anyways.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2005, 03:50:18 PM »

I only preordered one this time.  The other I stood in line at Sam's for 2 hours and grabbed.  I was getting it for a friend and then he decided he couldn't afford it, so I offered it to another friend and he couldn't afford it either.  Then it went to ebay.  I was not expecting much, but then I made  $250 profit.  I was going to be happy with that and taking that money against the other would make it a 1/2-price box, but heck the possibility of picking one up in a few months for free is just too tempting.  It would be different if I had confidence in the product, but I feel that there are just too many bugs, issues being reported in this first batch.  And even if the one I pick up in March is bad as well, since it will end up being free, who flippin cares.  But to have paid hundreds of dollars for something and then have it crash-totally and utterly unacceptable.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2005, 05:04:38 PM »

I also got my two from separate places.....WalMart and CC.  Ordered both online the Friday before launch.

Heck, setaside and I were giving play-by-play that day here:

http://www.octopusoverlords.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=22725&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2005, 06:00:14 PM »

The prices seem to be going back up again... depending on whether any of those $1200 ones being bought by zero feedback folks are for real.  I suspect many, if not most, of them are - a ton of people are joining eBay or using old accounts that haven't had feedback for a year, just for the 360.

And the reports of crashes, etc. - although quite overpublicized (like the shark attack mania) - still don't seem to be holding the general public back from wanting a unit.  And so it goes on...  :shock:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2005, 07:07:07 PM »

Not so sure about the crashes being overpublicized or not, but maybe they should be.  I just got back 5 minutes ago from my local EB and the manager asked me how I was enjoying my 360.  I told him that I had not opened it yet.  He said I might want to call MS and see if my serial number was one of the recalled ones or not.  He said they are recalling certain parts.  So, I asked him how many units did they sell on launch day and of those how many have been brought back because of problems.  He told me 7 of the 22 were brought back because they would not work at all, scarred disks, or other issues.  

No matter how you look at it that is roughly 30% being bad.  That is absolutely unfreakin believeably ridiculous.  I realize that my local store may have just gotten the lion-share of bad ones (what are the odds???!), but that is still unacceptable.  I will in no way open that thing now and will not be actually buying one for me myself until AFTER MS starts selling units that they claim those problems have been fixed in.  If you got one and it is all good, great for you.  But there are real people out there with boat anchors for consoles.  No ifs ands or buts about it.  

Mine will be on ebay in a week when the prices are at a frenzy and I won't miss it.  As for people not caring about these problems being reported and still buying one, I think they are a little nuts myself.  But like I said, if you get one and all is good, great for you.  I couldn't be happier for that crowd.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2005, 08:12:31 PM »

mikeg,

I really hope it is your store - but, like you say, what're the odds? On major consoles, I always get the store warranty or extended warranty, but it would be a real pain to have to return it to the store - sinced they don't have any to give me!

Anyway, I started a poll to see how GT'ers are faring.  Here's hoping... :?

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2005, 08:36:54 PM »

Yeah, with the warranty you don't have to worry about getting stuck with a bad unit, but with the scarcity you may not get your bad one replaced for a month or more.  And as for MY store having the bad ones, I did call another EB around here and asked them the same question and they said none have been returned.  Go figure.  Either they really had no bad ones or the people just sent it in to MS since it is covered for the first 90 by them and I hear they are fairly quick with the repair turnaround.  I guess in that respect if you choose to get one and it is bad you're not completely screwed.  I take back the statement about people being nuts.  But I can't get 7 out of 22 being bad out of my head.  Whew.  Not good.  I hope my local store was the exception for sure.  

Interested to see how your poll turns out.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
philosophist_
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2005, 09:12:07 PM »

I just sold one last night with three games, extra controller, and 12 month xbox live. Total was "only" $875 (plus actual cost shipping). But after $25 for ebay and $25 for paypal, and the fact that i had to pay tax and shipping originally, it really wasn't worth the hassle.

That said, breaking even on the deal (I actually made about $50) was really the goal since I decided that I have plenty of xbox1 and ps2 games in my backlog. Basically, I rented the xbox 360 for free for 2 weeks...
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2005, 10:18:45 PM »

Yeah, you didn't come out making a killing like some, but as you said, not a bad outcome for you at least.  Glad you at least recouped.   With ebay you never know.  Tomorrow you could do it again and who knows maybe you would get $1200.  That's ebay.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2005, 10:38:38 PM »

The prices seem to be going back up again... depending on whether any of those $1200 ones being bought by zero feedback folks are for real.  I suspect many, if not most, of them are - a ton of people are joining eBay or using old accounts that haven't had feedback for a year, just for the 360.

Both of my winners were zero feedback bidders.  A college chick from NY and a college guy from IL.  And yes.....they both paid immediately with PayPal.
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2005, 11:30:42 PM »

Quote from: "philosophist_"
But after $25 for ebay and $25 for paypal,

You ain't lying.  I can't believe the percentages that each company takes.
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2005, 12:24:04 AM »

And the reports of crashes, etc. - although quite overpublicized (like the shark attack mania) - still don't seem to be holding the general public back from wanting a unit.  And so it goes on...  :shock:

LOL, I hope the prices are going back up.  Mine is at $405 with 7 hours to go.  There's even one at $485 with 1 hour and 25 minutes.
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2005, 12:53:43 AM »

Don't worry.....mine wasn't even really looked at until there was 45 minutes left.  Then there was a shitload of activity.  There's just too many out there right now.
philosophist_
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2005, 01:14:42 AM »

Quote from: "mikeg"
Yeah, you didn't come out making a killing like some, but as you said, not a bad outcome for you at least.  Glad you at least recouped.   With ebay you never know.  Tomorrow you could do it again and who knows maybe you would get $1200.  That's ebay.

The mistake I made was selling it with games and extras. That seems to have priced me out of the console only market (which is the only thing really scarce).
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2005, 01:25:11 AM »

My first xbox 360 had zero bids until 2 minutes left and then I got 8 and it ended at $780.  Not bad.  I made about $240.  I am pleased.  The second?  I would love to see $300.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2005, 02:59:36 AM »

I just did "Buy It Now" for 900 (console only).  Forget the bidding part.  Someone will come along.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2005, 04:00:38 AM »

Quote from: "philosophist_"
But after $25 for ebay and $25 for paypal,

You ain't lying.  I can't believe the percentages that each company takes.

the sad thing is, ebay owns paypal, so they are milking you twice.   Talk about a reach around
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2005, 04:00:44 AM »

Sounds like a good plan.  Will consider it.  Thanks for the idea.  Didn't know you could even do that.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2005, 05:16:23 AM »

But I can't get 7 out of 22 being bad out of my head.  Whew.  Not good.  I hope my local store was the exception for sure.

Fritz falls asleep on the manufacturing line for 15 minutes and you end up with 7 borked 360s.

Don't know how rare it'd be for sequentially manufactured units to make it all the way through distribution to the same store, but it could easily explain a grossly large proportion of defective units in one location.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2005, 12:59:13 PM »

Sounds like a good plan.  Will consider it.  Thanks for the idea.  Didn't know you could even do that.

Don't forget "Immediate Payment Required". This is Kryptonite for the Zero Feedback Jokers.
adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2005, 02:40:09 PM »

Quote from: "naednek"
the sad thing is, ebay owns paypal, so they are milking you twice.   Talk about a reach around.

A reach-around is actually a nice thing for someone to do for you, in the proper context. "Milking you once," so to speak. This is more like forgetting the lube.

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 24, 2005, 01:34:42 AM »

Man....prices have dropped.  I managed to pick up 3 more 360's and they sold for 600 a piece on Ebay today.  A pretty big drop from the 900 I got a few weeks ago.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 24, 2005, 02:06:05 AM »

Man....prices have dropped.  I managed to pick up 3 more 360's and they sold for 600 a piece on Ebay today.  A pretty big drop from the 900 I got a few weeks ago.

You know there are still several folks around here looking for one, and you managed to get and sell 3?

Wow!    

PS -->  that is wow that you managed to find 3, not that you sold them.
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 24, 2005, 02:27:40 AM »

I managed to find 5 total.  4 from Circuit City online and 1 from WalMart online.  Sold them all.

Made 1000 bucks profit off the first two, which paid for Christmas this year.  Made 600 profit off the last 3 and that is paying for the next 360 I'm buying, which I'm going to keep.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: