http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 08:19:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ebay the 360 or not?  (Read 6017 times)
Scott
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 22, 2005, 04:00:41 PM »

How much will these be going for tomorrow?  I have the 360 in my trunk (and stuck at work all day), so I have time to decide.  I'm torn, I really want to play it now, especially Madden, but then I have a preorder at EB for the third shipment I can wait on.  So, do I eBay what I have now?  I think I'd sell it in a heart beat if it went for $800+, but I'm afraid prices will drop, and $100 profit isn't enough.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 04:02:54 PM »

Quote from: "Scott"
How much will these be going for tomorrow?  I have the 360 in my trunk (and stuck at work all day), so I have time to decide.  I'm torn, I really want to play it now, especially Madden, but then I have a preorder at EB for the third shipment I can wait on.  So, do I eBay what I have now?  I think I'd sell it in a heart beat if it went for $800+, but I'm afraid prices will drop, and $100 profit isn't enough.

Set a reserve for your lowest acceptable amount.   That way you have reassurance you won't lose your money or not get enough for it.   Also set a 1 day auction because it's REAL hot right now and you don't want to give the market time to cool off.

And I'm sad because I've fought unsuccessfully to get one of these things.   I F*CKing hate Microsoft after this!    :x
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 04:03:54 PM »

I think now that it released the price will drop on ebay.   Check the market, but I think MS said most stores will have steady shipments starting next week.

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2005, 04:20:46 PM »

Now that it's been released, the price has only been INCREASING on eBay.

$3000+ for a XBox360 Premium, no extras

DAMN!

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2005, 04:30:37 PM »

And I'm sad because I've fought unsuccessfully to get one of these things. I F*CKing hate Microsoft after this! Mad

Sorry.  I think the release hasn't gone super smoothly either.  I was a bit lucky.  

How much are eBay fees if you sell something for $700?  Is it better to do a reserve auction, or just set the starting price high?

---
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2005, 04:31:50 PM »

I'm just shocked that people are so damn desperate, for a video game console, that they can have at normal price within weeks anyway, that they are willing to pay such rediculous prices!  I guess I shouldn't be, as a sucker is born every minute.    :shock:

Bob

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2005, 04:39:03 PM »

My only worry about ebaying something with so much money on the line, is that paypal is more buyer friendly then seller friendly.  If someone decides to take their money back after paying you, paypal will generally let them.  Screwing you out of $400+.

Sure, it might screw the buyers ebay repuation.  But if they've only got 10 feedback anyway.. why would they care?
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2005, 04:47:01 PM »

is that paypal is more buyer friendly then seller friendly.

Once I get the payment in my Paypal account, Paypal can still take it?  Can Paypal charge me money back if I transfer it out and the buyer tries to screw me over?

---
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2005, 04:58:28 PM »

Quote from: "Scott"
is that paypal is more buyer friendly then seller friendly.

Once I get the payment in my Paypal account, Paypal can still take it?  Can Paypal charge me money back if I transfer it out and the buyer tries to screw me over?

I don't know, but I don't see why not.  If it's linked to your bank account then they can give and take right from your accounts.
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2005, 05:02:16 PM »

Well.. after a minimal amount of research I found this:
Eligibility. Buyer complaints must be filed within 45 days of the payment. Even if the buyer’s claim is justified, the buyer will receive a recovery only if there are funds in the seller’s account. RECOVERY OF YOUR CLAIM IS NOT GUARANTEED.

But I don't know if "seller's account" includes only the Paypal account, or if it also includes a linked checking account.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2005, 05:03:36 PM »

Quote from: "Bob"
My only worry about ebaying something with so much money on the line, is that paypal is more buyer friendly then seller friendly.  If someone decides to take their money back after paying you, paypal will generally let them.  Screwing you out of $400+.

I don't know about that... Paypal does have their own guarantee/warranty, but I would imagine it would take a *lot* for them to actually remove the money from your account, especially if you had already transferred it.  They may have your bank or CC number, but drawing from that without your permission?  That's a lawsuit waiting to happen.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2005, 05:04:11 PM »

Quote from: "Interloper"
I'm just shocked that people are so damn desperate, for a video game console, that they can have at normal price within weeks anyway, that they are willing to pay such ridiculous prices!

*cough*
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2005, 05:05:24 PM »

Scott -  I was actually thinking of doing the same thing.  Let me know what you decide.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2005, 05:07:07 PM »

Quote from: "Laner"

I don't know about that... Paypal does have their own guarantee/warranty, but I would imagine it would take a *lot* for them to actually remove the money from your account, especially if you had already transferred it.  They may have your bank or CC number, but drawing from that without your permission?  That's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

I've had buyers get their money back; but there was money to cover it in the Paypal account. Paypal favors buyers in complaint resolution when it's down to he says/she says.

As per post above, sounds like if you get the money out, you're safe. So I think you're right about that.
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2005, 05:29:39 PM »

I thought about ebaying it -- but an hour ago there were 15 pages of premium systems ending in the next day.  

In the end, the enjoyment of opening this up and playing it was worth more than the hassle of selling, even with the potential profit of $150...  Lots out there with no bids though!

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2005, 05:29:43 PM »

Scott - I was actually thinking of doing the same thing. Let me know what you decide.

I'm still really torn.  Being at work makes it easier to think about eBaying it.  I think, I'll look around 2pm, and if they are still selling really high, I may put the auction in, at like $800 or something.  If I can get a free 360 out of this in a few weeks, how can I possibly not eBay it??

---
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2005, 09:16:54 PM »

I'm in the same boat.  I mean, I've wanted a 360 for a long time now and after the Gamespot review of Perfect Dark I am excited for that.  I waited outside of a store from 6:30 pm until 7:00 am this morning to get one.  I think I am just going to open mine and play it, maybe I'll put it on ebay saying I opened it to make sure everything worked.  If I could sell it for $1,500 I would.  I could just wait until they are available again.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2005, 09:32:37 PM »

There seems to currently be approximately 310 pages of 360s on Ebay.  I'm thinking the bottom could drop out some time soon.  

The speculators are having a field day with this thing.  My brother-in-law was actifvely recruiting his brother and father to stand in line last night (offered them them $500 for any systems they could get there hands on) and we had a guy take off work today to scrounge as many 360s as possible (at last count he had five of them).

Reminds me of the comics market of the early 90s before the crash.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2005, 10:57:58 PM »

Yeah,  I put mine up on ebay... ends tomorrow around noon.  The reserve is pretty high (IMO).  I don't want to sell it, but if someone is willing to offer enough $$$, I'll gladly let them have it and just buy another one in '06.  the next couple of months are going to be really busy for me anyway.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2005, 12:19:18 AM »

I put mine up for sale too.  They were all going for over $1000 today, so I set my starting price really high.  That way, i'll be thrilled if someone buys it, and pay for my preorder system in a few weeks.  Otherwise, if it doesn't sell, I get to play it tomorrow, if the market falls out.

I just couldn't open a system that may be worth $900+, knowing I have a preorder comng.  If the market is still high then though, I may have to sell it too.  

Sorry to those that really tried to get them, I feel a little guilty, but I can finance my gaming habit for a year this way.

---
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2005, 01:59:29 AM »

I was going to say that it's brutal that people in general are selling these things on eBay, but it's justified by the buyers. If someone wants to pay three grand a system, let 'em. It's obviously a seller's market for the time being.

Viva Capitalism!

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2005, 03:58:05 AM »

Well, mine just sold via Buy it Now for $1K.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2005, 04:04:01 AM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
I was going to say that it's brutal that people in general are selling these things on eBay, but it's justified by the buyers. If someone wants to pay three grand a system, let 'em. It's obviously a seller's market for the time being.

Viva Capitalism!

/signed
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2005, 04:04:35 AM »

Holy freakin COW!

Merry Christmas Laner!    :shock:
warning

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2005, 04:41:33 AM »

Woot!  Congrats man!

I really hope it wasn't some zero feedback moron who plans to stiff you on the payment.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2005, 04:42:55 AM »

Quote from: "msduncan"

Holy freakin COW!

Merry Christmas Laner!    :shock:

Ditto!!!
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2005, 08:32:42 AM »

Sell, SELL!!!

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2005, 12:19:34 PM »

Quote from: "warning"

Woot!  Congrats man!

I really hope it wasn't some zero feedback moron who plans to stiff you on the payment.

Thankfully no - the cash is already out of PayPal and in my checking account smile
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2005, 12:26:41 PM »

Quote from: "warning"

Woot!  Congrats man!

that seems to be the real problem.  Apparently, people are creating ebay accounts and bidding astronomical prices because they're mad at people that are selling them.
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2005, 12:49:11 PM »

Just use Buy It Now and Immediate Payment Required.  That gets rid of the ZEROS.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2005, 01:00:30 PM »

Quote from: "Greggy_D"
Just use Buy It Now and Immediate Payment Required.  That gets rid of the ZEROS.

Yep, that's what I did. I sold my everytenminutes one for over $1,000!  biggrin

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2005, 02:38:47 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
There seems to currently be approximately 310 pages of 360s on Ebay.  I'm thinking the bottom could drop out some time soon.  

The speculators are having a field day with this thing.  My brother-in-law was actifvely recruiting his brother and father to stand in line last night (offered them them $500 for any systems they could get there hands on) and we had a guy take off work today to scrounge as many 360s as possible (at last count he had five of them).

Reminds me of the comics market of the early 90s before the crash.

Are those all 360 systems?  Or is your search also pulling in games and accessories?
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2005, 03:30:41 PM »

Quote from: "Greggy_D"

That's what I did too...
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2005, 05:07:17 PM »

There seems to currently be approximately 310 pages of 360s on Ebay. I'm thinking the bottom could drop out some time soon
That was then, this is now: plenty of them going for $800, some for 1 to 2K, and some "only" $600.

Watch this one if you want an idea of the current trend (and find others by searching for the latest listed and checking if they're a one day auction):

LINK HERE   - the seller put it up for a one day auction with no reserve probably a 99-cent starting bid (very brave!), it's been on for about a half hour and is at $76 right now...

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2005, 06:03:16 PM »

Are those all 360 systems?  Or is your search also pulling in games and accessories?

Last night it was both the Premium and Core 360s.  

Right now a search for Xbox Premium systems (excluding games and accessories) Pulls up approx 10,000 auctions.
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2005, 06:49:37 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"

Last night it was both the Premium and Core 360s.  

Right now a search for Xbox Premium systems (excluding games and accessories) Pulls up approx 10,000 auctions.

That makes these prices even more insane.
Mustang66
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2005, 07:10:13 PM »

How are open boxes selling?  I wouldn't think it wouldn't change the value much..it's proven to work, right?  I'd like to put mine up for sale but I'm leaving tonight for a Mexican vacation.  I guess I'll see what the market is when I get back next week.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2005, 07:37:00 PM »

If you are an eBay member, to see how they actually SOLD (bids in green are sold, in red went unsold) - do this:

Go to Search in the upper right corner - but choose Advanced Search.  Enter XBox 360 Premium (or Core, if that's what you want).  Check the box below, right of that, that says "Completed Listings" - it will give you a huge list of the ones that have ended, and you can Sort them by Recent, Least Expensive, etc.

If you do it that way, you'll have to look for ones that are open box, probably manually, or you can try adding another search term.  The only bad thing about searching for completed auctions is that you can't choose to search the descriptions, just the titles.

Otherwise,  just use the regular search (although I just tried it and it wasn't available) and check "search title and description" - those will be active auctions, obviously.

Good Luck!   Tongue

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2005, 08:32:42 PM »

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Microsoft-Xbox-360-Game-system-console-GAME-Core_W0QQitemZ8236609466QQcategoryZ62054QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2005, 10:51:42 PM »

*sigh*

Shipped mine out today... had it in my hands for all of three minutes smile
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up