http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 07:56:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EB Warranty on the DS worth it? NDS Durable?  (Read 714 times)
Scott
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 14, 2005, 12:12:39 PM »

I'm leaning towards getting a DS finally to play some of the newer games, and am curious what the EB Warranty covers?

Part of the reason I'm getting a DS is so that my five year old can play some games using the stylus and build hand strength for writing.  Devil suggested some of the Mario minigames might be good for that.   Anyway, I'm curious if the EB Warranty will cover screen damage, especially scratches to the screen?

How durable are the screens?  I'd prefer just to get the Walmart bundle that has Mario in it and save a bunch of money as well.

I also have a two year old that will want his turn for a bit too.  So far, the Gameboys seem very solid, but I'm leary of damage to the touch screen.

Thanks.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 02:55:38 PM »

Just grab the Brando Ultraclear Screen Protector.  You need to be really anal about dust removal before you put it on (compressed air can helps) but once it's on, its practically invisible.  It's a hard plastic sheet so the screen is very safe.

I'm very happy with it.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 03:08:29 PM »

Let me put it this way - I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old that play with it regularly.  It's been dropped on the cement more times than I can count, and I've count my 1 year old licking the touch screen.

Yeah, it's been pretty durable so far...

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 03:43:22 PM »

Excellent, thanks for the replies.

I've count my 1 year old licking the touch screen

Which touch game is he playing then? smile

Seriously though, what games have you found good for your kids, if any?

---
XBox Live: ScottW
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2005, 06:02:15 PM »

Dont buy a warranty, you automatically get a one year warranty through Nintendo.  My original DS had an issue with showing images on both screens (you could see the bottom image in the background of the top scree).  So I called Nintendo, they said they would send me a new one and when I received it I could just send them my broken one.  They take your credit card so you cant just keep both.  Anyway, to my amazement, the next morning I looked outside and there was a new DS sitting on my doorstep.  Yes, next morning.  They pay for you shipping to send the broken one back.  So in 24 hours, and no payment what-so-ever, I had a replaced DS in my posession.  Say what you want about Nintendo, but that is top notch customer service.

I forgot to mention, they gave me a full new year warranty on the replacement DS as well.

Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2005, 09:30:44 PM »

Quote from: "Scott"
Excellent, thanks for the replies.

I've count my 1 year old licking the touch screen

Which touch game is he playing then? smile

Seriously though, what games have you found good for your kids, if any?

Funny thing is, I love playing Nintendogs (and my 1yr old daughter likes to cautiously watch as she's terrified of dogs), but my 3yr old son hates it.  He prefers Warioware or the Mario DS minigames, as well as Asphault:Urban GT and Meteos.  Of course being 3, he will only play a game for 3 minutes before he gets bored and moves onto something else smile

Warioware seems to be the best suited for him - he actually has figured out most of the games on his own, and does pretty decent at it (he's been playing it since he was 2).

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005, 05:13:50 PM »

All Nintendo products (short of the NES, to a point) are extremely durable and designed to take far more abuse than any other console out there (IMHO).

And along the same lines, all versions of the GB are nearly indestructable. I've heard stories of the old brick GB getting run over without a scratch, and others of the GBA being dunked into the toilet and surviving after being dried out.

The only issue with the DS is that the touch screen can get scratched up during heavy use (a problem with all touch screen products like Pocket PCs and Palm Pilots), but that's solved with a simple screen protector.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: