http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 03:49:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EB Games Trade 3 Get 1, what a rip!  (Read 1819 times)
ChaoZ
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 11, 2005, 02:19:25 AM »

I was at EB today looking over Gran Turismo 4 and I noticed they allow trades of 3 used titles to get GT4 for free.

I asked the guy what the details where, and he said the trade-ins had to have a "trade-in" value of $20 each.  And who decides that value?  They do!

So let me get this straight... I bring in three nearly-new releases, and I can trade it for one newer release?  Because that's the only way you can get a $20 trade in value on a game.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2005, 03:32:18 AM »

Similiar situation at Hastings over in eastern Washington.

We used to exploit them and go over to another game store, buy a couple of $10 used games, and trade 3 in for a brand-spankin' new game of our choice.  Then they decided to up the price a little bit, but it was still a pretty good deal.  NOW it has to be like, $18 credit . . . and that's like a brand new game.  Yuck.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
FlyingElvis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2005, 03:46:57 AM »

EB and Gamestop have become dumping grounds for reselling used games. Just like the old Funcolands.  :roll: I think part of the problem is there is a real glut of console games.

And don't even get me started on whats happen to my beloved PC gaming section...

Now playing: Oblivion, X3: The Reunion
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2005, 03:53:59 AM »

So you trade in $60 worth of games to get a free $50 game?

Why wouldn't you trade in your games and get GT4 and $10 towards something else?

Doesn't sound right.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2005, 04:18:22 AM »

I was quoting Canadian prices. so it's like trading in $60 worth of games to get a $60 game.  That alone isn't the problem.  The problem is that those games that they put a $60 value on is actually probably worth closer to $120.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2005, 04:26:34 AM »

Canadian!

So you could still trade in those 3 games and essentially get ANY $60 game.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2005, 05:07:49 AM »

What?  Our game prices is typically $60+tax (15% in Ontario).  So if you can only trade in games with a "EB trade in value" of $20 (and an ebay value of $45 each), you are essentially paying $135 for a $60 game.  EB will, in turn, sell those games for $50-$55 each, for a profit of $90-105 +profit of GT4.

The EB trade in value of games is insanely low.  If you went in with KOTOR 2 or something, that would be $20, whereas it cost you $60+tax to buy.
FlyingElvis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2005, 11:17:07 AM »

Now we know why EB is big into the used game market now. The profit margins are better than new games. They make me feel stupid every time I want to buy a new game thats available as a pre-owned game. "You know, we have this game pre-owned?". And then there's the whole sales push to sell you the Prima strategy guide.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2005, 01:24:36 PM »

And then there's the whole sales push to sell you the Prima strategy guide.

Here is a real blood boiler then...routinely those prima guides that have sat in the rack for eons have been actually discounted down to a penny.  When you bring it up and buy it for 15.00 bucks they make 14.99 in pure profit.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2005, 04:06:53 PM »

I can't comment on EB's practices, but I know that GameStop tosses pennied out guides.  If one makes it to the register accidently, we usually just give it to the customer for free.  Any store that is selling it for full value is doing it on their own, not as part of a company policy.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2005, 04:24:28 PM »

I don't know if everyone else's EB does this, but when I picked up Halo 2 at the midnight release they started offering a $3 insurance on games where if the game is ruined physically within a year they will replace the game with a brand new one.

Every game I've bought since I've gotten the same question.  The people there know me pretty well, but the workers are fluxuating outside of the manager (who always talks to me if he's there when I am).  I don't get the $3 extra on the game...I've never scratched or ruined a game in over 20 years of gaming now.  Nevermind that they have to replace a game if it is scratched or ruined within an amount of time (probably 90-day warranty or whatever in the back of the instruction booklet).

Anyway, I feel sorry for anyone that pays this (and there have been a few I've seen...both when Halo 2 was released and since then).  Maybe people throw their game discs around like frisbees or something, but unless you don't have a history of games going bad on you I can't see a reason to spend $3 extra in order to get "insurance" (and give EB $3 extra profit).

I like EB, but that's probably because most of the workers know me and won't push me on things they know I won't buy.  So, any of you guys seen this $3 insurance offered or am I the lone one here?

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2005, 05:36:58 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
I like EB, but that's probably because most of the workers know me and won't push me on things they know I won't buy.  So, any of you guys seen this $3 insurance offered or am I the lone one here?

My local EB here in AZ started doing the same thing as well. As I've worked at EB for a few months (but years ago), I know just how poorly people take care of their games. It's like they rub them into the carpet or something.

But, yes, more often than not it'll be more pure profit for EB. That and their extended warrenty service on consoles other than the PS2. smile

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2005, 05:45:25 PM »

Whenever they offer me the insurance on games I just laugh in their faces.
I do!

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
FlyingElvis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2005, 06:37:54 PM »

Just like music CDs, I handle my game and movie DVDs with a lot of care. I only hold them by the edges, and if they are not in the drive, they are in the case. And I store them on a book shelf, left to right in alphabetically order. Guess I'm anal.  :lol:

But I go over my friends house, and he has his game DVDs stacked on his coffee table or scattered around the carpet close to the Xbox. The cases are thrown in the closest. I just shake my head. But he's probably more the norm. than I am.

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2005, 01:22:13 AM »

that's why I ebay mine.  I typically get $30 out of my games, depending on how new\popular they are
wankerjr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2005, 03:47:28 AM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
Quote from: "AgtFox"

My local EB here in AZ started doing the same thing as well. As I've worked at EB for a few months (but years ago), I know just how poorly people take care of their games. It's like they rub them into the carpet or something.

But, yes, more often than not it'll be more pure profit for EB. That and their extended warrenty service on consoles other than the PS2. smile

Yes. Depending on the price of the game is the price of the insurance.

Not too many customers that come in to trade games ever take good care of their discs.

Yes a bulk of it is going to be pure profit but it's one of those things corporate requires now for us to ask. Be thankful that the magazine program hasn't become mandatory..blech.

How does this work again?
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2005, 08:18:38 PM »

It's like they rub them into the carpet or something.

Some people have these weird things living in their house called "children".

In my own home, I've seen these creatures ruin a Disney Skateboarding game and my Shrek 1 DVD.   They've damage but not destroyed (they MOSTLY work) the following: Soul Calibur, SSX 3, and Wave Race.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: