http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 11:52:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EB Games Price gouging ??  (Read 3205 times)
Abaddon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: January 12, 2005, 07:01:37 PM »

Was just checking out EB Games website and noticed they have the WoW Collectors Edition listed for $149.99, wtf?? When WoW released the CE was about 80 bucks same as EQ2's which by the way is still about 80 bucks. I know copies of WoW are in short supply but 150 bucks for a game, are they out of their frikkin minds?? Going to have to hit Ebay to see what they are selling for just for curiousity sake.
AgtFox
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 07:23:25 PM »

Quote from: "Abaddon"
I know copies of WoW are in short supply but 150 bucks for a game, are they out of their frikkin minds?? Going to have to hit Ebay to see what they are selling for just for curiousity sake.

They're going for more than $150 on eBay, upwards of $200 for an unopened one.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 08:00:09 PM »

Then perhaps I'll go to the store and pick one up, just so I can sell it.

Our electronics stores around here are still inundated with copies of the silly thing.

I believe Best Buy still had a whole shelf full of just WoW when I was in there last week.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 08:14:54 PM »

They are definitely guilty of it. I dont understand how they can get away with cheating you like that but somehow they do. Its an overrated place I think.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 08:17:26 PM »

Quote from: "Thin_J"
Then perhaps I'll go to the store and pick one up, just so I can sell it.

Just to note, the price I stated above is for the Collector's Edition on eBay.  I do not think regular WoW is selling for that high.  If you can find a CE version at stores you can probably make a killing.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2005, 12:17:32 AM »

People can be so stupid on Ebay. (No offense to anyone here bidding on that $179 World of Warcraft.) I sold a new playstation 2 when the slimlines were in demand before the holidays. Winning bidder was at $390.
So if you can find any of the collector's editions, mine as well cash in on the prize. Don't these people realize 10 years from now WOW3 will be out and nobody will care if they have the collector's edition or not?
It seems games (and even movies) don't hold the same kind of value later on in the years as do.. say.. I'm trying to think of something, antiques?
A lot of dvds stamp "Collector's Edition" on their boxes and I haven't really seen any use for it. I have some from years ago and sold them on Ebay, didn't sell for anything.

I did see one or two WOW collector's editions at bestbuy the other day, I think for around $80. I should go buy them (if they're still there) just to feed the sheep.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2005, 12:21:56 AM »

I stand corrected, people can be just plain helpless on Ebay. Doing a search for World of Warcraft, the standard edition is selling on average for close to $80, and the Collector's Edition at over $160, and even "gold" for over $50 per 50 pieces of gold. Even CD keys going at over $60.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Andrew Wonser

A porcupine quilt made of porcupine quills.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2005, 01:09:57 AM »

I would think the value of an item depends on the availability of it. If I can order it online, two or three years later, with little to no searching, then no the value is not high. But if that item is very rare then the value raises. Cases in point would be Alpha Centarii (Before re-release), Kilrathi Saga, Symphony of Night. Movies could also fit into this catagory if they had a limited release before the standard.

I've always seen the Collectors Edition to be more for the viewers benefit than their wallets. It's more of a we'll give you everything we have on this movie/game/whatever so you can know more about the mythos behind it.
FlyingElvis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2005, 02:07:18 AM »

Capitalism at work...

I've been looking for a copy if WoW for about 2 weeks now. But I can wait, no way in hell am I paying a cent over $49.99.

Now playing: Oblivion, X3: The Reunion
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2005, 02:58:35 AM »

I would think the value of an item depends on the availability of it.
While that may be true in some cases, it seems that the value of both games and movies lose value over time. I bought the original Alpha Centauri (with box and manual) for less than $10 on Ebay a few months ago. In five years it'll probably be even harder to find it, but there will be those selling preowned copies because they're tired of it and because it's such an old game, chances are it won't sell for very well.
Before the holidays when there was the mad playstation 2 slimline rush, a lot of people took advantage of it (I'm guilty as well because I made enough of a profit to buy two new playstation 2's plus have over $50 cash left over) ps2's selling at well over $200. Now they've (pretty much) restocked the supply of the new slimlines and the retail price is $150 - I even feel sorry for this lady who paid me $390 for a ps2 when there were SO MANY of them in stock at a gamestop by me that nobody ever went to. (But hey, she knew what she was getting herself into before bidding, or at least should should have.)

That's not to say that the WOW Collector's Edition will be restocked. They may not make anymore after whats left runs out.
But IMO, who cares? Is it really worth paying $150+ for some game with a nice little card and maybe an autograph? (Or whatever it comes with.) I guess some people like that and I'll never understand why.
I remember Warcraft 3 collector's edition though, which I got for around $40 I think. I waited about a year after War3 came out and at the local EB they were putting their remaining collector's editions on clearance. Went ahead and bought one since it was only a few dollars more than the regular edition.

Elvis, if you want WOW at $50 (IMO way too much for a MMO game because you have to pay just to play it when so many MMO games are free to download or you just pay for shipping, then pay the monthly fee) you can try buying it online. Most places have it in stock so you won't have to pay those redicilous $80 Ebay prices.
If you want though, you can go buy some gold to get you started on Ebay, only $54.99, and shipping is FREE as it goes right to your email box.  :wink:

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2005, 06:07:53 AM »

Well, in defense of Ebay over valuing the WOW collector's edition:

1) It will not be made anymore.

2) You get an in game pet that is unique

3) WOW has sold 600,000 copies since it's release and is the biggest PC game in some time.

4) While there may be pockets of the world where copies of WOW are easy to find, in most of the country it is very hard to find.  I work for a GameStop in the Seattle area and we get about 10 people a day looking for it.  We've received 3 copies since Christmas.

So this is not your average game.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2005, 06:34:37 AM »

Thats it I'm selling my unopened CE Edition and Strat guide...160 just to much to pass up.

Ascendent
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2005, 06:54:30 AM »

Quote from: "Sarkus"
Well, in defense of Ebay over valuing the WOW collector's edition:

1) It will not be made anymore.

2) You get an in game pet that is unique

3) WOW has sold 600,000 copies since it's release and is the biggest PC game in some time.

4) While there may be pockets of the world where copies of WOW are easy to find, in most of the country it is very hard to find.  I work for a GameStop in the Seattle area and we get about 10 people a day looking for it.  We've received 3 copies since Christmas.

So this is not your average game.

There's a Gamestop in Seattle?? Where at?

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2005, 01:55:29 PM »

There's about a billion in the Seattle area...Bellevue, Redmond, Issaquah, Southcenter, Tukwila, Seattle, Burien, Lynnwood...  Put in your zip code and you'll see.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2005, 02:32:16 PM »

I wish people would stop confusuing terms.

It isn't "price gouging" since that can only be done for necessary items and while I know WOW is important to some people it is hardly food.  

This is what capitalism is all about really.  Supply and demand.  The supply is limited and the demand is high - therefore anyone in a high school economics class will tell you - price goes up.

That is what allowed us to defeat the USSR, it is why we are the only superpower, etc., etc.

EB is being agood American! by selling that collectors edition for huge profit!  We should be looking at them as an example of the fufillment of the American way of life!

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2005, 03:00:26 PM »

EB is being agood American! by selling that collectors edition for huge profit! We should be looking at them as an example of the fufillment of the American way of life!

I think a lot of people are upset that they preordered the collector's edition, and EB didn't deliver, claiming short supply.  All of a sudden, EB has more of them, and isn't going to deliver on the preorder deals.  That is pretty scummy, not necessarily being a good American.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2005, 07:36:31 PM »

Huh? are you saying people who pre-ordered from EB who didn't get the game when it first came out because of shortages now can't get it at what they pre-ordered at even though there are now copies availible? That I havn't herd of and would need to see something official to believe thats happening.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2005, 08:41:03 PM »

Quote from: "Jumangi"
Huh? are you saying people who pre-ordered from EB who didn't get the game when it first came out because of shortages now can't get it at what they pre-ordered at even though there are now copies availible? That I havn't herd of and would need to see something official to believe thats happening.

It's true. Over at OO, Tiny Ogre, who works for Blizzard said that he thinks even he couldn't get the CE anymore.

1. EB cancels many CE pre-orders

2. now EB receives mysterious, hard to find CE shipment

3. Instead of offering to fulfill those pre-orders at $79, they instead deny those who pre-ordered, and sell the game for $149. (plus an additional $10 over normal shipping costs, due to what they call "excessive weight" of the game box).

Hi EB, welcome to my blacklist.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2005, 09:56:45 PM »

I wonder what EB's legal policy is on such a situation. "Too bad, sucker!"?

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
weeskwee
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2005, 03:48:11 AM »

Blizzard says they have no control over it and EB has every right to do so.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2005, 07:00:42 AM »

When I managed an EB store, preorders did not actually gurantee a price.  Putting $5 down on a game just was supposed to gurantee a copy.  If the price goes up or down, when you pick up the game you pay that price...now, if I was short on a game to fill all my preorders, when more came in they were to be set aside for 48 hours and the customer was called to pick up the game.  If the customer did not show then thier copy went for sale to general public.  After this, any future shipments those customers would not be called, if they failed to show the first time.  My guess as to where the games came from....EB has many many stores.  I am guessing that they performed an overstock recall, where corporate tells stores to send back all copies of a game that you have above and beyond a set amount.  So lets say they tell stores to keep 4 copies on hand and they have 10, 6 get sent back.  My guess is that these newly discovered copies were actually from an overstock of stores that did not sell thier stock for one reason or another.  As for not fulfilling current customer orders... I would have to see proof.  They can charge whatever they want for the game however.  In retail for non essential items there is no such thing as price gouging.  If people are willing to pay $150 for something, why sell it for $80.  EB is not denying you anything.  If you want to pay $80, good luck finding it.  If you want the CE then you will pay what is being charged.  Manufacturers can set suggested retail, but it is just that, suggested.  There were some rare cases in the past where manufacturers informed EB that no more of an item would be made available and the company has cancelled preorders before.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2005, 05:17:49 AM »

I have a hard time believing that EB found these copies from a recall from stores that had copies sitting around.  WOW is not like your average game, and the CE version was in short supply from day one.  I don't know what EB's situation was, but at GameStop (I manage one) we only got enough CE's to cover the reservations.  

From what I've read, it sounds like EB ended up with copies in the warehouse that they lost track of.  That being said, what should EB have done?  The CE is going for $180 plus on Ebay - should EB just ignore that or should they price what is a limited supply item accordingly?  If there are reservation customers who still have a reservation, then yes, EB should honor the price they quoted at the time of reservation.   If people are mad because they cancelled their pre-orders due to EB not being able to fill those orders back in November, that's not EB's problem.  I only see EB being at fault if they intentionally held product, somehow knowing that they could sell it later for more.  I seriously doubt that's the case.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
TC Weidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2005, 06:25:51 PM »

Just poor business practice if you ask me.  What ever small profit they make on over pricing a shipment of WWCE, they are gonna lose 10 times as much if not more, with bad publicity.

Hell just look at the Threads in WOW forum alone, flaming EB, with 100,000's of views.
Once again, it amazes me how clueless many business people are.
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2005, 10:33:56 PM »

I don't see anything wrong with it.  This is a collector's edition, so the fact it is going up in value is a very good thing.  It shows Bliz was able to make an item people want and then release it in a quantity that would leave people wanting more, as a good collectors item should be.

EB is just charging the going rate, if they charged less someone would just buy out their entire stock and ebay it.  At least this offers someone a known safe place to buy it from at what is just the going rate(maybe even under after some crazy bidding).

Now if the rumors of them canceling people orders at the normal price and then selling their orders at this price is true, that is pretty sleazy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: