http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 09:32:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EaW Forces of Corruption - Exploding Ewoks!  (Read 3552 times)
Scott
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 24, 2006, 06:40:14 PM »

From the Yahoo review:
No, Forces of Corruption's best feature is exploding Ewoks.

Seriously. They're one of the more fiendish units available to Corruption's new side, the Zann Coalition, and are launched by an otherwise unarmed dude who shuffles about dragging a mysteriously bulging sack behind him. Give him a target and he'll produce an Ewok from his bag, strap a bomb to the fluffy fella's chest, point him in the right direction and send him off. The ensuing combination of explosion and anguished, slightly surprised squeal is nothing short of poetry.

Has there ever been a better RTS unit??  icon_twisted

I'll be picking this up as soon as I see it.  Not necessarily because of the exploding Ewoks (though a great bonus), but the rest of the expansion looks great too.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 06:49:18 PM »

Seriously, this expansion could launch EAW to my personal top GOTY list...  I have heard nothing but raves about it, and the demo is fantastic.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 07:16:11 PM »

Dude, that right there is the single greatest RTS unit IN THE HISTORY OF GAMING. Thank god I have the game coming via a trade as I shall proceed to grab this expansion FORTHWITH!!! thumbsup thumbsup

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 07:20:01 PM »

EBGames got them in today at 3 stores I called!

GAME ON.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 07:22:55 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on October 24, 2006, 07:20:01 PM

EBGames got them in today at 3 stores I called!

GAME ON.

Er, probably a silly question, but if one of the stores had it in, why did you need to call the other two? 
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 07:32:24 PM »

Because depending on who is working, depends on which store I will shop at.  So it took the third store to figure out where one of the cool "PC gamer guys" was working today.

The other two, I had to explain that "Yes, it is a PC game, and NO I didn't preorder it, and Yes I understand PC gaming is dead, and NO I do not want to preorder whatever shit they are pushing today.".

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 07:37:18 PM »

OK.  At the risk of getting screamed at that you guys have already told me the answer to this 3 times already...

Q: Did they change/improve the ground combat of the game at all?

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 08:01:36 PM »

That...is so freakin' wrong. But so damn cool at the same time.  icon_biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 08:21:44 PM »

Q: Did they change/improve the ground combat of the game at all?
I will let you know tonight or tomorrow.  I walked over to the mall and bought a copy a few minutes ago.  I need to finish work, go home and eat, play with the two young children for an hour or two, and then can finally play.  Though maybe they'll want to see it as well.

---
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2006, 09:26:39 PM »

Ok Scott, thanks.  Full, detailed, verbose, and wordy impressions please.  Pretty much, just think of what Devil would write, then do the exact opposite.  That should be perfect.

icon_biggrin

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2006, 10:44:29 PM »

Got it installed, messing with it now.. So far thumbs up from the kids.

ioticus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2006, 03:20:37 AM »

Did they improve the AI?  I thought it was lacking in many ways.  Also, did they fix the bug that caused the Empire not to increase their tech level if you destroy their initial research facility?
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2006, 03:39:49 AM »

Its World Series Night, so not much play, but I do have some early impressions.

Short Version:  WOW..

Long Version:

Lets start with some of the new stuff in the game;

- Tons of new maps, all of the old maps have been updated and improved. (both skirmish, SP and MP)
- 6 new Galactic Conquest Campaigns. (Playable from all three sides AND multiplayer)
- 15 new planets!
- New full Single Player Campaign
- Vastly improved AI
- New Faction (Consortium)
- Advanced Base Layout (This is the overhead view allowing you to custom construct your planetary bases and defenses - outstanding)
- Orbital Bombardment. (If you have big capital ships in orbit, you can call down some serious firepower from above)
- Game Replay/Recording
- All factions can now fight each other in any configuration you desire, so empire vs empire is possible, etc.
- Ingame tech tree charts. (hitting + on the keypad brings up a gorgeous tech tree)
- Full game speed control.
- and more....

Every faction has new units; (list is by no means complete)

Empire
- Deathstar 2 (which can now FIRE on capital ships in space battle!)
- Tie Phantoms, Interceptors, Defenders.
- Eclipse Mega Star Destroyer
- Executor (Vaders gigantic super star destroyer)
- General  Rom Mohc (commands the Titanic Star Destroyer, a mobile manufacturing ship for producing dark troopers, etc)
- Grand Admiral Thrawn (fights in a SDS with special powers and buffs)
- Dark Troopers (Phase 1, 2 and 3)
- Juggernauts
- Lancet Air Artillery
- Imperial Mobile Defense Unit
- Bunkers

Rebellion
- Luke Skywalker (available on the ground with jedi powers)
- Yoda (ground)
- Garm Bel Ibilis (drives a special mega attack vehicle, the Gargantuan and troop transport capable)
- Rogue Squardron (Lukes old pals, legendary fighters)
- B Wings (heavy fighter)
- MC30 Frigates (Fast proton torpedo firing ship designed to take out big ships)
- Gallofree Heavy Transport
- Rebel Mobile DFU

Consortium
-Tyber Zhann
- Urai Fenn
- Silri (badass force sensative fighter, has rancor pet to kick ass)
- IG88 (The deadly assassin droid, fantastic in space and on ground)
- Bossk (badass in space and ground, bounty hunter)
- RZ45 Transport (Space)
- Starviper (heavy fighter with drones)
- Skipray (long range missle boat and jammer)
- Crusader (fantastic against fighters, point defense lasers for anti-missle)
- Interceptor Class Frigate (general all around frigate)
- Vengeance (heavy frigate with mad guns, no shields, but heavy armor)
- Keldade Battleship (shield leecher with heavy weapons)
- Aggressor Destroyer (big ship built around 2 gigantic weapons, tough ship)
- Various infantry squads (Mercs, grenadiers, etc)
- MK2 Droidekas (Badass ones that kicked ass in the movies)
- 3 varieties of tanks, including a super armed heavy tank.
- Night Sisters (Force wielders that ride rancors - mean)
- Defilers (sneaky guys, corrupt units)
- Vornskr (deadly wolf type things that hunt force users to the death)
- Ewok Handlers (omg, lol)

The new units are unbelievable!  Where do I begin?
- Ewok handler is hands down, the best unit in any game, ever. Period.  Not even debatable.  The creature handler is like that fat scruffy guy in the movies that owned the rancor.  He bitches and moans as you move him around while he is dragging a huge bag filled with whining Ewoks.  When you attack he grabs one out of the bag, and kicks it over to the enemy. The ewok goes nuts running around waving his arms and screaming while weaving in and out of enemy forces - the BOOOOOOOOM an huge explosion.  I laughed so hard I nearly pissed my pants. Even funnier, the rebel units stood there looking at the screaming Ewok like "WTF is this things problem?" not even firing on him.   icon_lol

- The new droids are outstanding, droidekas absolutely own in battle and can switch between antivehicle and antipersonel mode.  Fully shielded, nearly immune to many attacks.  Chewbacca attacked a 3 unit squad of my droids and got his ass owned.  Fantastic.

- Consortium space units are really fun and offer a lot of varied tactics.  Their big battleships and destroyers pack an amazing punch with gigantic special weapons, and one has the ability to leech shields.  Great stuff here.

- Nightsisters, really cool force sensative units that ride rancors. Great!

- Vornskr, these are like wolves but are force sensative and used to track and kill Jedi.. Fantastic for hunting down Luke and his pesky friends, very fast and deadly. Best of all, you can set them to "Prowl", they will wander off and sense force and attack.

Thats about it for now, but I have to say they have completely outdone themselves on this expansion!  It is early, but I am completely impressed at this point with what they have done to the game.  thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 03:42:36 AM by Kobra » Logged

ioticus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2006, 03:50:24 AM »

Thanks for the info, Kobra.  Can you expand on the improved AI comment?  How and where has it improved?  It pisses me off that not one fucking review of the expansion I've read so far mentions anything about the AI.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2006, 04:19:30 AM »

Quote from: ioticus on October 25, 2006, 03:50:24 AM

Thanks for the info, Kobra.  Can you expand on the improved AI comment?  How and where has it improved?  It pisses me off that not one fucking review of the expansion I've read so far mentions anything about the AI.

The AI just seems more crisp in reactions.  For example in space, instead of constant frontal assaults, they broke up their forces and kept taking my lesser defended areas, and better adapted to my tactics.  Overall, it just seems like the AI has been tweaked a good bit.. At least that is my perception of it so far.

The force seems strong with this one, and the reviews are all coming in good.

ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2006, 08:45:05 AM »

I just picked this one up myself...the GT effect got a hold of me.  After I format my 300gig HD, I will let ya know how it is biggrin

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2006, 11:25:41 AM »

Quote from: Kobra on October 25, 2006, 03:39:49 AM

Lets start with some of the new stuff in the game;

- 15 new planets!

- Vastly improved AI

- Full game speed control.

The three things I was most hoping to see.  Great news.  And thanks.

Oh - and do you see yourself spending more time with this or that Strongholds game, just out of curiousity?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 12:47:48 PM by Lockdown » Logged

LD

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2006, 01:28:35 PM »

I only had a little playtime, and my impressions aren't quite as favorable as Kobras.  I played a couple space skirmishes, and was surprised to get my butt kicked on medium in the first game.  The new Consortium space units are pretty tough.  I'll have to learn more about them, as they seem very powerful, and the AI gets them fast.  The AI also was much more aggressive this time, which is good.  I managed to win the second skirmish, but only because the Rebels beat up the Consortium this time (I played Empire).

A few things that I liked:
- graphics seemed a bit better
- AI seems better
- new space maps are great, and larger
- great to be able to play with all 3 factions, and against the same faction

Not sure about
- the balance seems to have been modified, as it seems you may really need fighter screens in front of your capital ships now.  it looks like even more of a rock/paper/scissors game, at least with the space battles.  your capital ships seem to get taken out a lot faster, though this may just be the new Consortium units special abilities

Still sucks:
- land battles still seem the same.  When you invade a planet, you're just dropped on.  blah.  I need to play more though, as maybe I missed an option.  I didn't really get a chance with this.

Anyway, will play more tonight hopefully.  Thanks for the impressions Kobra, a bit more excited about it then what I saw last night.  For $30, I'll still have a ton of fun, so will my kids.  The space battle is fun and simple enough that my 6 year old can play it and have a blast.

---
ioticus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2006, 02:28:38 PM »

I'm mainly interested in the strategic AI of the galactic conquest game.  Has that been improved?
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Quote from: Scott on October 25, 2006, 01:28:35 PM

- the balance seems to have been modified, as it seems you may really need fighter screens in front of your capital ships now.  it looks like even more of a rock/paper/scissors game, at least with the space battles.  your capital ships seem to get taken out a lot faster, though this may just be the new Consortium units special abilities

I noticed the consortium seems entirely focused on delivering knockout punches to big empire cap ships.  Which makes sense, as the Zann people always view the rebels as a secondary concern, dealt with after they deal with the empire.  Zann also is aware that the empire relies heavily on their big ships - to a fault. So yeah, combined arms seems much more important in this one, be sure to bring healthy fighter cover for those cap ships, and plenty of frigate screens.

I welcome this change myself, as I always hated where as empire you could just bring out a bunch of Star Destroyers and own the field without too much combined arms action.  This time, you need to play a bit more careful.

The strategic overview map is in the campaign and conquest modes, not skirmish/mp.  Also note, you can go to extreme zoom like before, but now you can overlay the interface and actually play via planetary view (I key), and then speed up or slow it all down. I found land battles a good bit more tactical this time around, especially those large build-points you can control, mobile turrets and such. Instead of constant push and shove back and forth, you can setup strongpoints to push your assault, complete with build points.  I think these are huge improvements over my main complaint about the ground battles. (that they were too much push and shove, and less about tactics)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 04:11:58 PM by Kobra » Logged

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2006, 04:25:10 PM »

Well crap.  Sounds like I will have to get this when they release the gold version.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2006, 06:10:44 PM »

I pretty much considered myself done with EAW and rated it about an 85% game and sold my copy. Then I kept reading previous of this expansion, and my interest perked.  Finally the demo arrived, and I loved it, so I grabbed it here from someone used for dirt cheap to wait for the expansion.  With this expansion in place, I rate it a 95% game for me personally, I love it.

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2006, 06:37:27 PM »

With this expansion in place, I rate it a 95% game for me personally, I love it.
I'll give you a week and see, as you go through games faster then the rest of us mere gaming mortals smile.

Is the campaign AI any better?  I didn't try last night, and probably will get some limited time in tonight as well.

And, the most important questions, what is the easiest way to try out the new Super ships?  It looks like they are only in the campaign games?

---
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2006, 07:08:07 PM »

I haven't done much in the campaign yet, this is to come.   I don't care for many games after a week, so if it lasts a week my rating of it will stand.  I don't last 10 minutes in a lot of games, so a week is an accomplishment as I can put in a LOT of time during a week into a game.

Rarely does a game last beyond that though, but there are exceptions.

Goonch
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2006, 06:13:01 PM »

Can you play EAW on a LAN without  having a second copy?
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2006, 06:57:50 PM »

It requires the CD unfortunately, as far as I know.  Maybe later patches fixed that like Dawn of War. 

---
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2006, 07:03:11 PM »

Quote from: Goonch on October 26, 2006, 06:13:01 PM

Yes you can, even the original you could.

Goonch
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2006, 04:40:06 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on October 26, 2006, 07:03:11 PM

Quote from: Goonch on October 26, 2006, 06:13:01 PM

Yes you can, even the original you could.

thumbsup thumbsup
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2006, 09:26:11 PM »

Anyone have an idea how to remove corruption as the empire?  It seems that none of their heroes have the option to remove it frown

EDIT:  Looks like the only one who can remove corruption so far is Vader...there has to be more than that...
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 10:47:21 PM by ROTC1983 » Logged

Darth Homer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2006, 11:18:09 PM »

Unless I missed it in my push through the manual, but is there anyway to play the GC maps from EAW in FoC?

Brian

XBL Gamertag: Dirhael
PSN: Dirhael
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2006, 12:58:32 AM »

Quote from: Darth Homer on October 27, 2006, 11:18:09 PM

Unless I missed it in my push through the manual, but is there anyway to play the GC maps from EAW in FoC?

Brian

Not that I can tell, it is almost like they are completely seperate stand alone games, I wish they'd of integrated them fully so the updated maps could have been used in the original EAW.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: