http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 07:12:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Earth Defense Force returns!  (Read 2264 times)
EngineNo9
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« on: September 06, 2010, 07:23:03 AM »

This short article on GameInformer.com notes that there is a new teaser site up for Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon.

If you haven't played an Earth Defense Force title, EDF 2017 on the Xbox 360 was a highly enjoyable "budget" title that hearkened back to classic sci-fi movies with it's giant robots, giant insects and aliens.  It was certainly not the flashiest, most polished game out there, but man did I have a blast with it!  

Personally, I can't wait to hear more about this new EDF game!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 05:49:13 PM by EngineNo9 » Logged

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 07:30:09 AM »

I had a lot of fun with it even though I never finished it, nor earned any achievements. A sequel could be even better with co-op. Hopefully, they can get some kind of insane Serious Sam player counts and have 8 or more against the mobs.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 01:07:38 PM »

EDF! EDF!

Very campy and as long as you didn't hate the game for what it was (a low budget shooter harkening back to old-school sci-fi days with the ability to blow everything up nearby), it was a lot of fun. Even more so in co-op.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 03:37:06 PM »

Finished the first one.  It was fun for what it was.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 05:19:30 PM »

Awesome, I missed the 1st one on PS2 but really enjoyed 2017 on the 360. I'm  really hoping they continue with the co-op play in 2017. I'm wondering what platform it's being dev'd for, since the 1st 2 were single system?
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 08:50:17 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on September 06, 2010, 05:19:30 PM

I'm wondering what platform it's being dev'd for, since the 1st 2 were single system?

According to this thread at NeoGAF, it looks like it's for the 360.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 08:53:43 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on September 06, 2010, 08:50:17 PM

I'm wondering what platform it's being dev'd for, since the 1st 2 were single system?

Great news - that works for me. slywink
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 05:03:53 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on September 06, 2010, 08:50:17 PM

Yeah, this is excellent news!  It is also great to see that there are so many other people excited about this game like I am.  biggrin

Nonnahob

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 01:00:32 PM »

As long as we're talking budget title again, or really ramping up features in the game otherwise.

It was a fun game for what it was.

X360 - Nonnahob

A few nights ago I played a while with Hardon and we had a good time. - PhillyPeteRock
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 06:31:00 AM »

In anticipation of the game's eventual arrival, I re-watched Them tonight. Wow, talk about a great 50's Sci-Fi film. For fans of the 2 EDF games that don't know, the 50's film Them was likely a inspiration for the game series. I hope this next game catches the sentiment of the 50's B-rate Sci-Fi film genre like 2017 did. Very much looking forward to this game.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 05:43:17 PM »

Looks like a few screenshots have been released, as well as a teaser trailer (you can download it here).  Woohoo!

IGN also mentions that you will be able to play the campaign online with 3 player co-op, and also that this one is being developed by Vicious Cycle, the crap factory behind the Matt Hazard games (booo!).

« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 05:45:42 PM by EngineNo9 » Logged

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 10:15:20 PM »

it looks good despite the big flying ant having visible polygon lines.  if they can get the numbers of bugs on one screen that they did in the first, i can stand a little bit of blockiness.  decent texture work on the soldier too. 

bit of a gamble with that dev.  they really botched the matt hazard game from a gameplay perspective, but then again, this isn't going to compete with the big games either. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 11:25:21 PM »

I like the look of it, but I'm not too thrilled about it being in Vicious Cycle's hands either. That said, if they can come up with as good an effort they had with Robotech Battlecry I'll be very happy. That game is still one of my favorite console mech games and I still fire it up once in a while on my 360.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2010, 11:46:27 AM »

Hetz is back?  Oh wait, that was Sony Defense Force.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2010, 04:15:49 AM »

according to kotaku, this is slated for spring.  3 player online co-op (3?!) 6 player survival, 150 weapons, 4 upgradeable armor sets. 

and they bring us hope by pointing out that the dev didn't make the flawed and boring matt hazard retail game, but the better xbla side scroller. 

youtube link if you don't want to d/l it.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2010, 04:30:32 AM »

Quote from: Caine on September 19, 2010, 04:15:49 AM

and they bring us hope by pointing out that the dev didn't make the flawed and boring matt hazard retail game, but the better xbla side scroller. 

Unfortunately, despite what Kotaku says Vicious Cycle did develop the crappy Matt Hazard game as well (Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard).

Good to hear that there will be 150 weapons, though.  The constant weapon upgrading was one of the better parts about EDF2017.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2010, 04:38:15 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on September 19, 2010, 04:30:32 AM

Quote from: Caine on September 19, 2010, 04:15:49 AM

Unfortunately, despite what Kotaku says Vicious Cycle did develop the crappy Matt Hazard game as well (Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard).

Good to hear that there will be 150 weapons, though.  The constant weapon upgrading was one of the better parts about EDF2017.
aw yes, kotaku effect strikes again.  well, looking at their list of games, it at least shows they can handle the licensed games well  Roll Eyes and their history shows some promise. 

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2010, 03:06:42 AM »

Vicious Cycle has been somewhat of a puzzle to me. They ushered in their debut with the excellent Robotech Battlecry and then followed it up 2 years later with the less than mediocre Robotech Invasion and Dinotopia - Sunstone Odyssey. Since then they haven't seemed to be able to get back to the quality they had with Robotech BC. I know a big part of their business is dev tools and I suspect once they started putting resources and staff into their Vicious Engine middleware they syphoned off some of their much needed game dev talent. I've seen the same thing happen to some of the dev studios in my own city.

Their current owner, D3Publishing, doesn't that great of a track record either - although they were behind EDF 2017, the Puzzle Quest games and some decent Naruto game for the Ninty consoles. We all seem to really like the results they got from Sandlot for EDF 2017, so maybe that type of game is the right fit for them.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2010, 09:03:27 PM »

D3 may not have a great track record (they basically put out budget titles), but they have published all of the EDF games, including the only-in-Japan ones before 2017 (also developed by Sandlot).  All of the EDF games have all been budget games, but they have transcended that description each time as well.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2010, 01:31:56 AM »

Gameplay footage!  (yes, that is 2 different URLs)

This confirms giant ants (2 kinds!), UFOs, giant flying wasps, terrible voice acting, giant enemy robots, jetpacks, mounted guns and destroying entire buildings with one well-placed rocket.  Sweet!  I just hope that the jetpack doesn't change the flow too drastically from 2017. 

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2010, 02:46:54 AM »

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!

Ruining language with my terrible words.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2010, 02:40:58 PM »

Sounds great. I hope the jetpacks are powerful enough to get you on top of a building - would be handy for sniping. slywink
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2010, 03:03:41 PM »

This thread needs more Hetz!

<looks up at title>

Doh! I thought the title of the thread said "Sony Defense Force returns!"

slywink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2010, 10:26:53 PM »

Aaaand we've got some split screen co-op actionbiggrin

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2010, 04:42:51 AM »

That's quite an improvement visually over the previuos game.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2011, 07:30:10 AM »

Man, did you know there was a PSP version of Earth Defense Force coming out in Japan?  According to these articles on Joystiq, Earth Defense Force 2 Portable will be out on April 7th in Japan, and include wifi coop.  It isn't clear if this is a port of the PS2 EDF2 or what, though.

Here's to hoping that it makes it to the US as well!  Amazon currently has EDF: IA shipping at the end of June, so there's a chance this could be localized in time to ship then as well.   

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2011, 10:30:50 PM »

Introducing the Pesticide Gun!   icon_smile  Some more info from Kotaku:

The Pesticide line of guns is one of the most powerful, with four different models each suited for a particular type of battle armor worn by the EDF troops. The Trooper armor scores the Pesticide Cannon. The Pesticide Mortal goes well with the Battle armor. Tactical armor uses the Pesticide Missile, while the Jet armor is a match for the Pesticide Rifle.

The Pesticide Guns are Tier 8 weapons, which means players will have to kill a large number of bugs before they can get their hands on them.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 10:32:50 PM by EngineNo9 » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2011, 10:39:36 PM »

The Pesticide Mortal

I wonder if they meant mortar or if you carry a person around who sprays pesticide for you  icon_lol

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2011, 03:14:47 PM »

looks like we'll finally get back to killing bugs July 5th.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2011, 06:30:44 AM »

Gamespot has a new features trailer as well as a trailer that is the first reveal of the 6 player online co-op Survival mode

They also have a 15 minute live demo with lots of footage from GDC, if you skip ahead to almost the 34 minute mark in this video.  Lots of good footage there, but I am still a little leery of some of the changes they have been making.  Specifically, things like making the ants and other enemies smaller, adding lots of tiny enemies like the ticks which look annoying to shoot, the fact that you now upgrade health/armor via an XP system instead of the normal pickups, and that part of the weapons upgrade system is through just buying upgrades. 

In 2017 I loved just mowing down absolutely overwhelming waves of ants and spiders and seeing the total carnage, and I don't get that feeling here.  I'd much rather have twice as many enemies and put up with some slowdown.  Hell, the slowdown was part of the classic quirkiness.  Also, this new game takes place in "New Detroit" and not Japan, so you kind of lose even more quirkiness there. 

Overall, though, I am still excited to play a new EDF this summer.  Hopefully these last few months really put some polish on the game.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2011, 11:13:23 PM »

That footage looked absolutely fantastic! I really disagree 9, I totally get the mass carnage feeling. I dont think the main critters are any smaller, just the mites that spawn off those spiders. I can not wait to get my hands on this!

Ruining language with my terrible words.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2011, 11:59:25 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on March 04, 2011, 11:13:23 PM

That footage looked absolutely fantastic! I really disagree 9, I totally get the mass carnage feeling. I dont think the main critters are any smaller, just the mites that spawn off those spiders. I can not wait to get my hands on this!

I really hope you're right, but everything I see makes all of the enemies seem smaller than 2017.  Even the basic ants in 2017 towered over the player, but in this new one they look small compared even to trees.  Take these ants, for example:

And now compare those to the ants from Insect Armageddon:

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2011, 06:44:15 PM »

Looks like this is out already. Gamestop shows it being in stock locally.

Unless I hear horrible things before I am done with work, I'll grab on the way home. Edit: Bah they say tomorrow for whatever reason. Guess I run out in the morning.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 07:45:24 PM by Jarrodhk » Logged

Pikachu, I Blame you!
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2011, 10:36:49 PM »

It's not supposed to be out until the 5th, though I'd love to get a copy early right before the long weekend!

USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2011, 11:46:26 PM »

My GameStop (off base) has this in stock, but got turned away because the employee said can't sell until the 5th.

Going to try the GameStop in Fort Benning to see I they are more accommodating

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2011, 12:41:07 AM »

I called my local Gamestop and they said they had them in stock but couldn't sell them until tomorrow (Saturday the 2nd).  He said they had a corporate email about an earlier release date and was almost willing to sell it to me tonight until he read the whole thing that said wait until tomorrow.

Oh, and my Amazon preorder is saying it hasn't shipped and expecting delivery for the 8th, so at least I can still cancel that one if GS comes through tomorrow.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 12:43:08 AM by EngineNo9 » Logged

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2011, 05:28:29 PM »

Just picked up my copy.  Absolutely no manual, but I guess that's to be expected for a budget release these days. 

Well, time for me to go kill some bugs!   icon_biggrin

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2011, 07:21:45 PM »

Loving it so far. Still just as cheesy as ever. "We've seen these before. They're like metal spiders. Very nasty. The best way to deal with them is to shoot them while not getting hit!.'  'Thanks intel.'

The vehicles are definitely improved over 2017. Control better and are actually quite useful, including the mechs.

There aren't quite as many enemies at once as before, but, still more than enough to make things very interesting. Only playing on normal difficulty so far.

Looking forward to playing some co-op and survivor mode. There is also a 'campaign remix' mode that is locked right now. No idea what it does.

Weapons are as fun and varied as before, at least so far. They are split into tiers and each suit type has a smaller section they can use. Each type of suit also has its own special ability as well. The tactical suit can deploy various turrets and sensors, the trooper can revive faster and I believe reload faster, the jet suit flies and uses energy weapons, the battle suit gets the big guns and an energy shield.

Love the sticky grenade launcher and homing grenade launcher.

Now if only this and Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 hadn't come out the same week. Of course it is a 3 day weekend so I'll get plenty of time in!

Pikachu, I Blame you!
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2011, 08:14:19 PM »

Yeah, after the first mission I was really disappointed in the number of enemies.  After the second my excitement was rising.  Now that I've finished 5 missions (just downed the daddy long legs) I'm really enjoying myself.  

I'm also playing on Normal, assuming that the Hard and Inferno are like the last one where you come back around to play them after finishing.  I've heard that the "Campaign Remix" mode will switch up which enemies spawn in the waves, so you can play through it again and things are different.

I've tried all 4 armors and they all are interesting.  Time will tell which one I focus on, but it seems like you almost have to focus on one or two since you are now leveling them up.  Haven't really gotten any good weapons yet.  Not sure I like their upgrade path instead of all random drops, but at least robots still drop the occasional random weapon.

Some things I've noticed so far that are as good or better than 2017:
  • your AI companions actually make kills
  • companions can revive you if you die, and vice versa
  • active reload on the weapons for a chance to reload in half the time
  • most of the voicework is nice and appropriately cheesey
  • the graphics are definitely superior
  • achievements aren't brutally stupid slywink
  • the vehicles are much easier to control and more useful

And some things that I don't like so far:
  • the map screen doesn't always show enemies, it blips only every few seconds
  • small enemies like the ticks suck (no pun intended)
  • faster moving giant robots keep running away from me so I can't shoot their red parts
  • sometimes seems harder to pick out enemies from the terrain and buildings
  • I miss picking up tons of dropped weapons, health, armor, etc
  • the things that do drop are much harder to see than the old icons
  • the active reload timing sometimes seems suspect, I think I got it right but it just keeps slowly loading
  • a couple of the companion voices are really terrible (like the stereotypical black guy)
  • ants sometimes seem to come from nowhere or right out of the ground with no hole
  • invisible walls - I don't think I ever saw them in 2017 and have already seen them multiple times here
  • the gun names - dumb and nondescriptive
  • early weapons are weak
  • something about it seems more chaotic than the last one, as if I'm never quite sure where I should be shooting
  • the enemies disappear too quickly so you don't get the funny bouncing ants from a big explosion
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 08:16:19 PM by EngineNo9 » Logged

Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2011, 10:26:43 PM »

I saw this at gamestop and couldn't resist. Haven't loaded it up yet but I plan to later today. They only received one copy.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: