http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 10:28:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Early Saint's Row Reviews  (Read 1991 times)
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« on: August 28, 2006, 01:53:05 PM »

Early reviews for this game are up and it seems to be surpassing expectations. Fragland 90% review and Gamepro 4.75 review

I was going to rent this because I wasn't sure about it and am short on cahs, but it might be time to to sell off some stuff to pick this up.

Anyone know if any retailers are having a sale on it this week?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 01:56:05 PM »

Don't know anything about Fragland, but I would never use a Gamepro score as a basis for purchase.  That said, everything I've heard about the game is that it's probably a buy for anyone really looking for a GTA-alike.  I thought the demo was completely uninspired myself but I'm guessing I'm not the target market. 
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 02:07:37 PM »

Was the demo kind of ugly/jerky for anyone else?  I don't see complaints about that in any of the reviews thusfar, which makes me think it's a problem with the demo or the download of the demo itself.  Also, does this game honestly not have any blood effects?  After all the firefights I was in, both dealing and taking shots, I never saw any blood spilled at all.  Not that I'm a blood nut, just, I'd like that confirmation of a hit with a weapon...

Admittedly the game seems kind of soulless to begin with, especially compared to GTA, but it picks up fast.  The Havok physics really do add that much more to the almost comic violence of it all.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 02:07:50 PM »

This looks pretty interesting, but as a rent, not a buy.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 02:09:15 PM »

Quote from: -Lord Ebonstone- on August 28, 2006, 02:07:37 PM

Was the demo kind of ugly/jerky for anyone else?  I don't see complaints about that in any of the reviews thusfar, which makes me think it's a problem with the demo or the download of the demo itself. 

I didn't find it very jerky but graphically I wasn't very impressed.  I did encounter a bug in the demo that eliminated all of the audio in the opening cutscene except for background noise but, other than that, it was a smooth technical experience. 
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 02:13:04 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on August 28, 2006, 02:09:15 PM

Quote from: -Lord Ebonstone- on August 28, 2006, 02:07:37 PM

Was the demo kind of ugly/jerky for anyone else?  I don't see complaints about that in any of the reviews thusfar, which makes me think it's a problem with the demo or the download of the demo itself. 

I didn't find it very jerky but graphically I wasn't very impressed.  I did encounter a bug in the demo that eliminated all of the audio in the opening cutscene except for background noise but, other than that, it was a smooth technical experience. 
The character models are underdetailed and over-rounded, and the full-screen glow that's used makes some characters look like they have holy auras in cutscenes, but I think the rest of the game looks great.  The environmental textures and lighting effects really stand out as impressive to me.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 02:27:51 PM »

I may pick this one up, but right now all of my funds are being directed towards this weekend.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2006, 02:29:24 PM »

I liked the demo alot.  I did encounter the voice bug mentioned earlier.

They seemed to make it more like what suburban white kids "think" the hood is like. Instead of actually trying to make it realistic.

Cheesy. But in a good way.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2006, 02:32:13 PM »

I also liked the demo quite a bit. As Kevin said-the models were "roundish", and a little akward, and there was some tearing and other issues. Overall, not the prettiest game, but I love the animations, the car and city models are quite detailed and good, and I liked the lightings and effect.

As for the story, the 3 demo missions or whatever instantly were more interesting to me than any of the GTA stuff I have played (which frankly, I never liked). I even enjoyed driving around the city this time. Plus, Keith David FTW anyone?

Overall, an interesting game. As Kathode and I were discussing the other day-I really maybe even hated the GTA games, but I honestly really had a blast blowing shit up in this demo. This is going to be a tough choice for me as rental vs purchase.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2006, 02:32:41 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on August 28, 2006, 02:29:24 PM

They seemed to make it more like what suburban white kids "think" the hood is like. Instead of actually trying to make it realistic.

Cheesy. But in a good way.

Thats definately the impression I get.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2006, 02:33:34 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on August 28, 2006, 01:56:05 PM

Don't know anything about Fragland, but I would never use a Gamepro score as a basis for purchase.  That said, everything I've heard about the game is that it's probably a buy for anyone really looking for a GTA-alike.  I thought the demo was completely uninspired myself but I'm guessing I'm not the target market. 

Fragland is a pretty decent site with pretty decent reviews. I have found Gamepro is getting better, but still nothing to write home about. But Kevin, come on-as a long, long time reviewer do you really think I would ever make a purchase based on good review scores  icon_twisted
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2006, 02:35:04 PM »

The game has been available from some Walmarts and Targets for almost a week now.  Looks like every store got it early and quite a few are ignorant of street dates.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2006, 02:39:26 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on August 28, 2006, 02:33:34 PM

But Kevin, come on-as a long, long time reviewer do you really think I would ever make a purchase based on good review scores  icon_twisted

Heh, no, but I was surprised when you listed those two as reasons to be more optimistic. 
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2006, 02:48:51 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on August 28, 2006, 02:35:04 PM

The game has been available from some Walmarts and Targets for almost a week now.  Looks like every store got it early and quite a few are ignorant of street dates.

I checked around yesterday.  Unfortunately not as much ignorance in the Cleveland area as I hoped.  icon_biggrin

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2006, 02:52:55 PM »

Cheesy. But in a really bad way.

There you go, fixed it right up for ya.  icon_wink

Sandwiches do fix everything.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2006, 03:07:07 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on August 28, 2006, 02:52:55 PM

Cheesy. But in a really bad way.

There you go, fixed it right up for ya.  icon_wink

Now you've done it.  I'm going to send over my crew in their $150 Nikes and $200 jerseys to mess you up real good............................  As soon as they get out of the mall that is.

Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2006, 03:46:58 PM »

I liked the demo alot but these reviews plus the OXM one have flipped me from wait and see to day 1.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2006, 04:02:19 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 28, 2006, 02:27:51 PM

I may pick this one up, but right now all of my funds are being directed towards this weekend.

Going to the Bunny Ranch again?
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2006, 04:03:09 PM »

Well I have come to a decision. Saints Row is saying Shippign Now at gamefly, which I have for almost another month thanks to that 2 month deal that came out before. So, if the game I mailed back 7 goddamn days ago gets there in time for me to get it shipped today and not fall into the short wait category  (which happened with Dead Rising, 99 Nights, and one other recent title thanks to their absolutely godawful shipping), I will just play it like that unless I decide its a must buy from the rental-otherwise I will pick it up this week. Damn you forum and review effect!
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2006, 04:39:59 PM »

Insta-purchase.  It looks really good and I'm dying to get into other parts of the city.  The upscale portions and the highway areas look amazing. 

Oh, and I've always sort of wanted to be a hispanic gangerbanger.

Does hitting ped's ever get old?  Thank you Havoc physics engine.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2006, 06:01:10 PM »

Prepaid and picking it up tomorrow.  I'm not waiting for THQ to ship it to me.  I want me some Freckle Bitches. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2006, 06:19:02 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on August 28, 2006, 06:01:10 PM

I want me some Freckle Bitches. smile

Me too, but my wife gets jealous.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2006, 01:11:41 AM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on August 28, 2006, 04:02:19 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on August 28, 2006, 02:27:51 PM

Going to the Bunny Ranch again?

naw, horses.  Your brother is hooking me up   icon_twisted

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2006, 04:58:19 AM »

this game gets released this friday for me,i liked the demo it was pretty good,although there seemed to be a lot of swearing.....for no reason really,just that it could swear,if you know what i mean...and not the i disaprove,...swearing is great,lol

so i will pick this one up...oh and the stratagy guide,as i collect guides to big ass games

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2006, 05:41:54 AM »

8.5 from IGN.

Quote from: IGN
Closing Comments
Volition's Saints Row is an impressive game --in most respects. The core missions, side missions, the controls and flow of the game, the graphics and sound, they're all solid and smartly designed. This game feels and plays better than most, if not all, of the other GTA clones.

But is it better than Rockstar's benchmark? On the whole -- Not a chance. But in very specific areas? Yes, absolutely. Saints Row is a study in how to copy a model in order to improve upon it, and Volition should get full credit for taking one of the hardest games to replicate, copying it right down to the character font, and improving upon it. Does it feel like a rip-off? Yeah. Is the harsh and often overly crude humor a step down from GTA's? Yeah. Does Volition's brash desire to show off hip-hop culture feel crass and painful? Oh yeah.

But Saints Row, despite its distinct lack of originality, is fun. It starts out fun and it stays fun. It gets deeper and more engaging, and the storyline and the characters come to life, and you're compelled by seeing the narrative unfold just as much as getting all of the 10- and 20-point Achievements. Saints Row offers a kick-ass online mode with at least two out of four compelling online modes totally worth your while. Hate it if you want to, snicker at its obvious me-too qualities, but don't forget to recognize impressive, kick-ass gameplay as you walk out the door.

9.0 Presentation
Smart, easy to follow directions, well-done custcenes, a surprisingly good story, and a great menu system. 
8.0 Graphics
Solid next-gen graphics offering fantastic particle effects, good animation, and a steady framerate of 30 FPS are unfortunately countered by noticeable fade-in, texture and screen tearing.
8.0 Sound
Saints Row has the "affect" of a GTA soundtrack, without having the AAA quality to back it up. Good voice acting and some funny one-liners and doused by really bad jokes that'll keep you wincing.
8.5 Gameplay
Good, polished gameplay and design -- copied straight from GTA, but honed and improved upon (in many cases). Excellent progression scheme and level design.
8.5 Lasting Appeal
The substantial 30- to 40-hour single-player campaign is bolsted by a weak co-op mode and a great 12-player multiplayer mode.

8.5 overall

stuntgibbon
Game Dev
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2006, 07:22:06 AM »

I like it so far too, but hardly have scratched the surface of the game.  Seems to be tons of side missions to entertain yourself with.  However the MP maps we've played seem too large for 4 players.  I'm hoping that's corrected when more people have the game, since it's only us early birds playing at the moment.

I made custom character look like General Zod.....  KNEEL!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2006, 08:14:56 AM »

How's the multiplayer modes?  Is there split screen?  How does the co-op mode work?
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2006, 10:54:57 AM »

(making a seperate impressions thread)

TheMissingLink on PSN
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2006, 01:53:12 PM »

Strange IGN would give Saint's Row only an 8.0 for graphics... the tearing was obnoxious, yes, but it beats the living fuck out of GTA's 10-15 frames per second on the PS2.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2006, 01:57:56 PM »

Quote from: -Lord Ebonstone- on August 29, 2006, 01:53:12 PM

Strange IGN would give Saint's Row only an 8.0 for graphics... the tearing was obnoxious, yes, but it beats the living fuck out of GTA's 10-15 frames per second on the PS2.

Yes, but they give butt sex to any game with the GTA label on it-so does Gamespot. Why be suprised?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2006, 02:44:31 PM »

Quote from: -Lord Ebonstone- on August 29, 2006, 01:53:12 PM

But the graphics should be compared to the 360, not PS2 (or Xbox for that matter).  Just based off of the demo and the couple of times I checked into Kasavin's marathon on Gamespot, I didn't think the graphics looked particularly impressive so an 8.0 seems more than fair but maybe the full game offers some more spectacular sites. 
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2006, 03:02:25 PM »

Compared to other 360 titles, sure.  I was pointing more to the huge free ride that the GTA games got -- if Saints Row deserves an 8.0 for graphics (and I agree it probably does), then the GTA games deserve much worse.  San Andreas, as big and convoluted as it is, looks like murky, chunky, concrete-colored soup most of the time, and runs at 10 frames per second to boot.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: