http://gamingtrend.com
August 21, 2014, 08:15:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EA unveils a bit of Madden 2006/NCAA 2006  (Read 5296 times)
AgtFox
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: April 14, 2005, 02:54:14 PM »

EA unveiled some stuff on Madden 2006 yesterday.  They've turned their focus to the offensive side of the field and are including a quarterback's field of view (outlined by a flashlight-like cone) for more narrow passing.  This means if you aren't looking at the receiver you want to throw to you probably aren't going to have an accurate throw to them.  For instance, Peyton Manning, since he has such a high awareness rating will have a larger cone than a 3rd string quarterback.  The cone is supposed to help tone down the amount of passes thrown in a game and put the ball in the running back's hands more often.

NCAA 2006 has a "Race to the Heisman" mode where you play as a high-school graduate and take them through to the Heisman and into Madden 2006.

Obviously more will be unveiled at E3, but since these are the only two football games in town it will be interesting to see if EA sits on its laurels for the most part or goes that extra mile to bring something good to the table.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2005, 03:04:11 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
...but since these are the only two football games in town it will be interesting to see if EA sits on its laurels for the most part or goes that extra mile to bring something good to the table.

I feel sick to my stomach just thinking about that.

puke

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005, 03:05:46 PM »

I hope Madden is good!

I'm not falling for the whole NCAA thing this year.  biggrin

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2005, 03:07:20 PM »

As long as they fix the slowdown problem from last year (which wasn't in the previous year) NCAA 2006 can be the best yet.

Now the only other thing is if I want to buy these games twice or not (Xbox and Xbox 2).

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2005, 03:21:34 PM »

I thought last year's NCAA was one of the worst games I've ever played in my life.

Not football game, not sports game, but game PERIOD.

godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2005, 03:29:10 PM »

Quote from: "Devil"
I thought last year's NCAA was one of the worst games I've ever played in my life.

Not football game, not sports game, but game PERIOD.

Jeez, why? I had a great time with that game.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2005, 03:36:23 PM »

I thought the game was completely random, and thus, not fun at all.

It got to the point that the guy I was playing and I would just set up scenarios to watch the game do stupid things.

Hail Marys were, by far, the most effective way to run ANY offense.

Had a ton of time to play it too (maybe 100+ games, using teams of all different skills and abilities.). I was on a rainy vacation and it was the only game we had.  frown

I know I'm in a very small group, but I really thought it was awful.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2005, 06:35:12 PM »

I thought the game was completely random, and thus, not fun at all.

It got to the point that the guy I was playing and I would just set up scenarios to watch the game do stupid things.

Hail Marys were, by far, the most effective way to run ANY offense.

Had a ton of time to play it too (maybe 100+ games, using teams of all different skills and abilities.). I was on a rainy vacation and it was the only game we had.  frown

I know I'm in a very small group, but I really thought it was awful.

God I thought I was the only one! It was just AWFUL. It controlled terribly, played badly, and didn't even pretend to mirror the way college football is played.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2005, 06:42:35 PM »

Thanks Rage!!  biggrin

The best thing I can say about that game is that it didn't break the TV I was playing it on.

Gwar21
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2005, 10:43:23 PM »

Yeah, last year's version of NCAA was a definite step down.  I didn't think it was as bad as some, but I usually still play my NCAA Football games each year off-and-on until May.  I stopped playing this year's NCAA game back in October.  It just wasn't very fun.  :-(
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2005, 11:35:30 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
EA unveiled some stuff on Madden 2006 yesterday.  They've turned their focus to the offensive side of the field and are including a quarterback's field of view (outlined by a flashlight-like cone) for more narrow passing.  This means if you aren't looking at the receiver you want to throw to you probably aren't going to have an accurate throw to them.  For instance, Peyton Manning, since he has such a high awareness rating will have a larger cone than a 3rd string quarterback.  The cone is supposed to help tone down the amount of passes thrown in a game and put the ball in the running back's hands more often.

NCAA 2006 has a "Race to the Heisman" mode where you play as a high-school graduate and take them through to the Heisman and into Madden 2006.

Obviously more will be unveiled at E3, but since these are the only two football games in town it will be interesting to see if EA sits on its laurels for the most part or goes that extra mile to bring something good to the table.

That Madden feature sounds pretty damn awesome.  Not sure about the NCAA one, but hell... could be cool too.

gellar
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2005, 02:07:54 AM »

Well I am going to jump on the bandwagon and say I felt last years NCAA was a step back.  I never mentioned it because I figured it was just me.  Like I mentioned in another thread, I am really starting to fear all the new features that are tacked on.  Every time a new gimmick is announced I cringe.  I did like the home field advantage, but the rest of the game just felt flat.  I had originally attributed this to my switch from the PS2 to Xbox version, but I am glad that I am not alone.

I played NCAA 2002 the most and still like it best of the four I years I have.

Now that we've all come clean how about a big group hug.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2005, 03:10:12 AM »

Now that we've all come clean how about a big group hug.

No grab-ass!  biggrin

godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2005, 01:23:24 PM »

I guess it's because I hadn't played the previous 2 years of NCAA, but I really liked it. I only have a Gamecube so my football options are limited and it fit the bill. Say hello to your 3-time NCAA Champion Wisconsin Badgers biggrin.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2005, 02:36:11 AM »

I hope Madden is good!

biggrin

It should be, it was the better game last year smile
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2005, 02:42:14 AM »

Not if you thought the NFL should employ running backs.  biggrin

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2005, 03:15:55 AM »

Not if you thought the NFL should employ running backs.  biggrin

Running backs or not, with this "cone" it sounds like they want you to use them more.  With this artificial push to balance the offense I sure hope they work on the running game.

I hope you can turn all the bells and whistles off and just play good ol' football.  Better yet, have Madden Mode and VC's updated NFL 2k6 mode.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2005, 06:24:18 PM »

I guess the passing cone is easier to implement than actual DB AI.

I played 8 seasons of Madden 2004.  I didn't even finish the second season of 2005, because the DB AI was so pitifully bad.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2005, 12:06:54 AM »

It seems like they want to make people run more by limiting the passing game with that cone instead of implementing actual man-on-man run  blocking.  The running game was my biggest complaint about Madden 2005.  And they fix it by making passing harder?  Am I the only one who thinks that is the wrong way to approach it?  All the running backs felt the same.  No matter if you were using Warrick Dunn or Jerome Bettis, the only difference you felt was the speed of the back.  That engine needs to be put out to pasture.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2005, 02:15:39 AM »

I'm with you deno!

Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2005, 09:46:30 PM »

Quote from: "denoginizer"
That engine needs to be put out to pasture.

Totally agree.

For the past few years I've assumed that EA was saving the next Madden engine for the next generation of consoles.

Instead, it appears EA simply bought out the competition and will put higher-res textures on the same crappy engine we've been playing for years.   :x
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2005, 02:17:07 PM »

I won't buy another Madden game until they fix the blocking. It's so sad to watch half my plays end in a loss of yards because the dl just runs right past the blockers. Seriously I think EA has effectifly dystroyed console football for me by buying out the NFL license.  :x

Then we also got screwed by MLB getting bought out by ESPN. I like MVP baseball better then ESPN's version for the sole reason that ESPN games have been riddled with crazy bad bugs in every game they have made. Maybe since they don't have to fight with EA next year they won't rush it out!!!  :x

I have half a mind to just give up on sports games alltogether they should be taking huge steps foward with the next gen consoles coming out but all these dumb ass license agreements have killed that. I'm not bitter though slywink
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2005, 07:15:38 PM »

Crazy this new idea of first person football in a Console game...Wait....I seem to remember something similar....Oh yea...the 2k series.  Had it for like 2 years now...Wierd....Bet the madden fanboys think its inovative and new.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2005, 02:49:26 AM »

Are they introducing first person mode?  I hadn't heard that.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2005, 03:07:50 AM »

ya i don't know what he's talking about.  Madden is introducing some very promising features this year.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2005, 06:15:01 AM »

Actually, MLB was bought by Take 2.  ESPN is now in a deal with EA for 15 years, so the whole ESPN branding on what used to be the Sega games will be gone this year.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2005, 02:41:31 PM »

Just back to report that I am still sick to my stomach over this whole thing.

Football to EA   and   Baseball to 2kgames.   Positively moronic.

puke

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2005, 11:52:38 PM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
Just back to report that I am still sick to my stomach over this whole thing.

Football to EA   and   Baseball to 2kgames.   Positively moronic.

puke

LD

Ya I know, EA should have grabbed the MLB too since MVP was the better game this year.  Everything else is perfect.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2005, 12:11:51 AM »

Ken still pimping Madden as the better football game....This year you might be right...

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2005, 01:34:41 AM »

LOL.

Yep.  I'm with Devil.  Madden might be the better game this year.  Let's see...  

Madden  (God help us all; unless your name is Loren, Ken, or Scott)
vs.
Nothing

Let me think...

Nope.

I give the nod to Nothing.

I feel sick.

LD    :?

LD

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2005, 03:04:47 AM »

Ken still pimping Madden as the better football game....This year you might be right...

2005 Madden was better than ESPN NFL 2k5, but ESPN NFL 2k4 was better than Madden 2004.  

So, please don't think i'm a fan boy of any game.  I just want a good football game.  This year it happened to be Madden.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2005, 03:19:16 AM »

You keep telling yourself that!  :wink:

The running game for Madden was a game breaker. Don't give me the 'you need to learn how to run' garbage We've been playing video game football for 20 years and NOW I have to learn? I think Madden's linemen should learn how to block!  It was awful. I think you're extra forgiving of running games because the year before, in ESPN, you could fall forward and get 4 yards.

Note to self - Play a dime defense against Ken in the '05 CG football league!  :wink:

I have hope for this year!  biggrin

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2005, 03:32:28 AM »

running game worked for me.  It's all about patience and timing.  It actually plays a real game of football, like using the passing game to open up the running game.

Look we can argue all day long.  You think ESPN is better than Madden, and I think vice versa.  There somethings about ESPN i think are better (Graphics, commentary) where as Madden does other things better (Gameplay franchise)
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2005, 12:20:55 PM »

We should argue all day long! It's fun!!  biggrin

Besides, we won't be able to compare them this year so we need this to last us for a few years!

I thouht the holes closed a little to quick (instantly). :wink:

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2005, 08:25:55 PM »

This is why I'll just stick to NHL 2K6, and be happy with it.  Especially if Jarome Iginla remains the highest rated skater in the game.

Mike

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2005, 08:38:59 PM »

I know that naednek and I make a small minority in this group, but I'm with him on this.  I'm looking forward to Madden, I just hope we actually get some gameplay hints for the 360 from EA at E3.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2005, 02:29:36 PM »

This is why I'll just stick to NHL 2K6, and be happy with it. Especially if Jarome Iginla remains the highest rated skater in the game.

Zach Parise will take over that slot this year!!  :wink:

I'm loking forward to Madden this year...I have no choice!  biggrin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: