http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 01:17:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EA & Starbreeze present Syndicate  (Read 5979 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 22, 2012, 06:54:47 PM »

much better, thanks Blackjack!  I wish they had covered the controls, maybe that will get added in with the MP section.

We'll update this review to cover multiplayer and add a score later today. Because of issues with (you guessed it) Origin, we haven't been able to play today. Review update will come ASAP.

:;facepalm::

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 22, 2012, 09:07:58 PM »

Gametrailers has a video-heavy review (which I suppose could have many spoilers, so consider that before viewing):

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-syndicate/727012
*I assume it's probably of the console version. I can't really crank up the sound at work so I don't know if there are any PC-centric observations given.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 09:10:32 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2012, 07:46:31 PM »

Metacritic listed this German site's review:
http://www.gamingxp.com/bericht-5467-electronic_arts-starbreeze_studios-pc-syndicate.htm
According to Google translate, it touches a bit on keyboard/mouse controls in PC version:
Thanks to the very successful implementation of control can be " Syndicate "on the PC with both mouse and keyboard as well as with an analog controller serve admirably.

The very user-friendly access to the various fancy skills might be designed with a controller a little easier, while the usual shooter elements, such as aim and shoot, move the mouse quickly and accurately by hand.

I had two options abgewinnen positive. In general, the control and remains very much in spite of many features is always clear.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: February 23, 2012, 08:33:13 PM »

(conclusion)

There's much good in the review of "Syndicate" and, accordingly, is to say, the overall impression a good one. Of course you could run the hotly debated genre breaking into the field as something negative. But the qualities that showed the title as a separate action game, you should confront prejudice. Here, no abuse that is driven with the franchise and profaned not a cult object. Artisan's "Syndicate" with an attractive game that perhaps now and then takes a loan from "Deus Ex", but always remains true to its own style. In addition, one could see the co-op quite a tribute to the original. Four agents are fighting for their company - but one is equally familiar, right? All in all, "Syndicate" is a varied and superbly-presented action title.

See, now I want it again. Dammit.

CeeKay, you up for coop on PC?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 23, 2012, 08:45:14 PM »

Quote from: Purge on February 23, 2012, 08:33:13 PM

(conclusion)

There's much good in the review of "Syndicate" and, accordingly, is to say, the overall impression a good one. Of course you could run the hotly debated genre breaking into the field as something negative. But the qualities that showed the title as a separate action game, you should confront prejudice. Here, no abuse that is driven with the franchise and profaned not a cult object. Artisan's "Syndicate" with an attractive game that perhaps now and then takes a loan from "Deus Ex", but always remains true to its own style. In addition, one could see the co-op quite a tribute to the original. Four agents are fighting for their company - but one is equally familiar, right? All in all, "Syndicate" is a varied and superbly-presented action title.

See, now I want it again. Dammit.

CeeKay, you up for coop on PC?

maybe once I get the game, but I'm out until at least April.  I'm still finishing up ME2, and I'd like to wrap up Amalur, Alice Madness Returns, Alan Wake, Crysis 2 and DA2 before ME3 comes out.

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 24, 2012, 04:43:12 PM »

RPS's review - and they REALLY don't like it.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/02/24/syndicate-review-pc/#more-96016

conclusion:
No strategy. No subversive sadism. No roleplaying. No inhabiting the dark powermonger fantasy. No sense of world. No stomach to stick to its ‘you are the bad guy’ concept. Just a man with gun running through a series of doors. A My Little Pony game would at least be about something.

A new one
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: February 24, 2012, 04:46:01 PM »

I just picked it up for the console. Ron's got a review coming, but sofar I have no regrets in buying it.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 24, 2012, 07:03:47 PM »

Gamespy finalizes its review and votes nay... (2.5/5 stars)
http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/project-redlime/1219100p1.html
Pros:
Ability to fully customize and upgrade character; breaching abilities; the Gauss gun.
Cons:
Cliche single-player experience; neglects many basic online features for PC; virtually impossible to complete co-op with less than 4 players.
He was dismayed there's no server browser, and since the co-op missions don't scale difficulty to the group size, you have to have a full 4-player group to have a fighting chance.

Still seems like the strongpoint but as someone with a lot of experience buying games with fun co-op and then not hardly ever finding anyone else to play said games with, I'd be leery of buying a $60 game just on the strength of a co-op that requires finding 3 other players regularly.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 27, 2012, 10:57:53 PM »

Penny Arcade's Tycho (God help me, I forgot his real name  icon_razz) weighed in on Syndicate:
http://penny-arcade.com/2012/02/27/further-deviations1
I was gone when it would have been relevant, but I’ve played through Syndicate.  How is it (pretend that you don’t know)?  An earlier iteration of myself might have called the single player campaign “retarded.”

In 2012, an era of diplomacy and grace, I might call it concussed.  This is more robust, anyway: it describes a state of such profound head trauma that confusion and even unconsciousness are the result.  In a time where Deus Ex: Human Revolution did not occupy some portion of our media consciousness, or that the original Syndicate had never existed, this new one would just be dumb.  In a time where DE’s sharp script and transhuman themes are still present and actively pulsing, it’s almost unconscionable.  Unlockable journal entries and the introduction itself reveal that clever writers were in the vicinity.  What happened?

Until a game is released, it is many, many games.  I’ve seen this happen with my own erect, greasy eyestalks.  This is part of the reason Day One DLC isn’t something I get up about; what we call “the game” was probably done a long time ago.  I wonder at what point this Syndicate became “Syndicate,” brand scion; the solo portion is pure fondant, it’s all structure with a vague, nominal sweetness.

The campaign has a few visionary moments, times where its spartan environments seem elevated to the ideal of Homogenous Corporate Sterility as opposed to simply plain.  There are overwhelming fights where your suite of “App” powers flow into one another, and you get a sense of the good game they might have made instead.

The multiplayer invests that loose jumble with a clean matrix of startling, platinum wire.  Every weapon, every ability, and your character itself become research trees.  Missions generate currencies.  The weapons themselves are thoughtful and (generally) pragmatic in their construction, and communicate their weight and power.  You’ll be eaten alive if you don’t play together.  I loved it in the demo, and it only gets better.

Which of these games came first?  They have no business being on the same physical platter; If I were to leave it out on the counter overnight, I expect that in the morning I would see two half-sized discs.  Was the single player campaign created as the “ballast” for a Triple A retail release, or was this multiplayer the result of some strange alchemy performed on the existing assets?
I was trying to draw a similar comparison -- can you remember a game where the multiplayer was so much better than the single player that they were almost separate games?

I think what springs to mind is Return to Castle Wolfenstein, which I remember as having often awesome, class-based multiplayer; and a mostly disappointing single player campaign marred by the tendency of the German AI to hop up and dance a jig on tables as opposed to, say, taking cover.  icon_razz And in that case, those really were by separate developers so it was understandable.

In Syndicate remake's case, it seems like the same team did both sides (MP and SP) so you do wonder if maybe they either did the SP, were disappointed with it, and became more creative on the MP side; or if they did a pretty cool MP and then ran out of time or money to do something more interesting with the SP.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: February 28, 2012, 02:02:51 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on February 27, 2012, 10:57:53 PM

I was trying to draw a similar comparison -- can you remember a game where the multiplayer was so much better than the single player that they were almost separate games?

Almost exactly one year ago.

Homefront.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 02, 2012, 01:31:40 PM »

Ah, I just had too many motion sickness issues there. I think that and Dead Island have finally forced me into FPS retirement.

Penny Arcade Report's The Cut highlighted this interesting column on that MP vs. SP factor, though this guy's take is more that the SP should've been tossed out entirely in favor of focusing strictly on a Left 4 Dead (albeit no zombies), co-op game that might've been a lot more special.

Syndicate in Review- Bifurcated Design
http://www.nohighscores.com/2012/03/01/syndicate-in-review-bifurcated-design/
If Starbreeze had designed Syndicate strictly as a four-player co-op game with a short-form mission structure, deeper customization, variation akin to Left 4 Dead, bots, and more content all around, I think it could have been an A-grade game. But somebody- whether it was EA or Starbreeze- wanted this game to follow on with this bifurcated design concept. Syndicate offers two suites of decent but unexceptional content instead of focusing on core competencies and doing what it does best.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 14, 2013, 07:00:38 PM »

Did anyone end up playing this game? I bought it during an Origin sale a while back and just started playing it this morning on PC. I'm liking the feel of the mechanics so far, there's a good amount of weight to the movement and the shooting feels comfortable. The aesthetics are thoroughly cyberpunk, which I'm loving.

I'll post more impressions throughout the week.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: September 14, 2013, 09:19:56 PM »

Played it and beat it.

It is an alright shooter, but it isn't Syndicate.

The multiplayer is what Syndicate should have been.

Ron's review (79)

“Nowhere.  Everywhere.  I’m the sum total of the works, the whole show.”

As I’ve mentioned a few times, cooperative multiplayer is where this game does its best work.  The game pulls out all of the stops, giving players access to a larger array of upgrades and an expandable weapon cache that keeps the action flowing.  The missions are set up as assaults on other Syndicates in other countries, but similar to the Call of Duty series, they are unlocked through repetition.  The maps are set up for four people, but my assault partner Purge helped me crush rival Syndicates under our boots as a pair.  While it is certainly more difficult, it is also very rewarding.   When you unlock other areas, you’ll find variety that’ll keep you guessing.  You’ll drop in on enemies from skylights, you’ll snipe enemies from tower perches, and you’ll gun down enemies lobbing explosives at you from areas below – the AI will certainly keep you busy.  Just as in games like the Diablo series, you’ll also occasionally get a tough game ‘seed’ and end up with more high ranking officers or floating turrets in the mix than you can safely handle, so you’ll always have a different experience when you play.

The beauty of the cooperative play is that it requires that players work together to stay alive.  Healing one another, rebooting (reviving) fallen friends, and providing cover while your partners refit and rearm are just part of the tactics you’ll need to survive.  Similarly, since you can only hold two weapons you’ll have to become an expert with the larger arsenal as the battle distance can change very quickly.  While I have plenty to say about the single player experience, the only thing that I feel lacks in the multiplayer game is that the menu and upgrade system is a little bit counter-intuitive.   The great news is that you can get a taste of the experience thanks to a sweet cooperative demo available on XBLA.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 14, 2013, 09:23:03 PM »

played it up to after the first boss fight, then interest took a dive off of a cliff.  think I only paid 5 bucks for it, so I didn't feel bad ditching it.

Because I can,
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 19, 2013, 06:51:07 AM »

I just recently bought the 360 version of this. From my initial impressions of it, I think if you're willing and can enjoy doing a lot of reading, there's a good SP campaign to be had.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 19, 2013, 10:09:06 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 14, 2013, 09:23:03 PM

played it up to after the first boss fight, then interest took a dive off of a cliff.  think I only paid 5 bucks for it, so I didn't feel bad ditching it.

I think I played it just past that part and then lost interest. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 06, 2013, 04:50:35 PM »

I just finished the game and absolutely loved it. The world is extremely well realized and the whole time I was playing I was reminded of Mass Effect, it even had a codex (although, not named a codex) with tons of reading material. The shooting felt great and combined with the DART overlay and special abilities I ended up having fun in every combat scenario. The story itself is interesting and deep thanks to the codex, with Brian Cox (Stryker from X-men 2) playing the role of the corporate villain.

My only grievances with the game stem from the shoddy quality of the PC port. I had issues with mouse/keyboard mapping, graphical oddities, and crashes. It's quite a testament to Syndicate that I was willing to play through it despite the technical issues, because normally I would just delete from my hard drive and never think about it again.

I haven't tried the coop mode which a lot of people say is excellent, but I'm not big on multiplayer gaming (I'm just lazy about finding good people to play with) so I wouldn't be the best judge anyhow.

I played Bioshock Infinite right before Syndicate and if I had to choose between the two, I would most certainly choose Syndicate. 

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 06, 2013, 06:35:27 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on October 06, 2013, 04:50:35 PM

I haven't tried the coop mode which a lot of people say is excellent, but I'm not big on multiplayer gaming (I'm just lazy about finding good people to play with) so I wouldn't be the best judge anyhow.

I wonder if anyone is playing MP anymore to begin with.

Because I can,
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: