http://gamingtrend.com
August 30, 2014, 05:03:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EA & Starbreeze present Syndicate  (Read 6279 times)
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2011, 06:08:48 PM »

Oficiale site [doesn't seem to work, although the news release references it]:
www.syndicate.ea.com

Sites are pointing out an official announcement:
http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20110911005073/en/EA-Starbreeze-Studios-Announce-Revival-Cult-Classic
“We are excited to finally reveal what we’ve been working on the past couple years,” says Mikael Nermark, CEO of Starbreeze Studios. "It's been a great experience working with EA, and an amazing opportunity for us to use our expertise in the first person shooter and action genres to bring back, and reignite, the signature action/espionage gameplay of Syndicate.”

Set in 2069, Syndicate takes players into a dark, Machiavellian world run without government oversight with many syndicates vying for total dominance of their local market place. With no one to question their intentions or actions, three mega corporations – Eurocorp, Cayman Global, and Aspari – are at the forefront of this brutal war for control of the pivotal American market. In the world of Syndicate, everything is digitally connected, including the people. Players aren’t limited to the weapons in their hands. Through DART 6 bio-chip technology implanted in their head, players can slow down time and breach the digital world around them to take down their foes using a variety of upgradable hacking mechanics. Syndicate’s blend of fast-paced, futuristic, action shooter settings and story combined with innovative chip breach gameplay instantly immerses players in a unique digital world.

“Our goal with Syndicate is to provide a challenging action shooter for today’s gamers as well as fans of the original. I’m sure they will enjoy and recognize the legacy that made it such a classic,” says Jeff Gamon, EA Partners Executive Producer. “Fans of the franchise will recognize many weapons and environments in the game, but in a whole new way. The game also provides a separate and deep 4-player co-op mode featuring missions from the original cult classic, which adds another layer of depth to the overall experience.”

Syndicate will be available in early 2012 for the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, Xbox 360® videogame and entertainment system and the PC. For more information on Syndicate, please visit www.syndicate.ea.com.
The co-op gives me a little hope.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 06:17:24 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2011, 05:24:13 PM »

I don't think Machiavellian means what you think it means, Starbreeze :-D

Anyways - The pictures seems like corridor shooters which is a shame. An open world game, set in the Syndicate world with freeform play ala GTA, Red Dead Redemption and the like could actually be pretty fun.

A new one
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2011, 06:06:10 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on September 13, 2011, 05:24:13 PM

Anyways - The pictures seems like corridor shooters which is a shame. An open world game, set in the Syndicate world with freeform play ala GTA, Red Dead Redemption and the like could actually be pretty fun.

I do like the Blade Runner-esque buildings, complete with hologram ads on the sides.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2011, 12:54:45 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on September 13, 2011, 05:24:13 PM

Underhanded, double-dealing, opportunistic and amoral? I don't see how that DOESN'T fit the definition of the corporations in the world of Syndicate. Have you ever read the mission briefings?

Quote from: Demo definition from AOL

SYNDICATE -- THE STORY

As the world's multinational corporations grew, their profits
began to rival those of small countries. Soon they owned small
countries and corporate influence was felt at the highest level
of world government.  

Then, a European corporation perfected the CHIP. Inserted in
the neck, the CHIP stimulated the brain stem to alter your
every perception of the outside world. Better than any drug,
the CHIP gave hope to millions by numbing their senses to the
misery and squalor around them. The CHIP was a technological
revolution and sold countless units with the slogan "Why change
your world when you can change your mind".  It also left the
user open to auto-suggestion, and gave the corporations the
perfect tool for manipulating the populace. Soon the
corporations were at war among themselves, desperate to
monopolize CHIP manufacture. It wasn't long before the
Syndicates became the controlling force all over the globe.

As a young executive in a small European Syndicate, you're
looking to make your mark. You observe from a control platform
in an airship high above the teeming city streets as your
agents, controlled by CHIP technology, spread the shadow of
your terror. Each mission takes place among the canyons of
concrete and steel, the mazes of streets and sewers, that our
cities have become. The population goes about its business,
moving among the traffic, commuting on trains, rushing to and
from work, unaware of the violence about to explode around
them.

There are over 50 named missions for you to choose between, but
before you choose one, you need to develop an overall strategy
for world domination. Tactical considerations vital to the
ascendancy of your Syndicate include the of an adequate mission
Budget, the skills and experience built up in the Cryo Chamber
of potential agents, and developing your own maneuvering skills.

A Syndicate executive must be a master of strategy, assessing a
mission environment and planning agent moves. An executive must
also have the reflexes of a steroid-addicted sprinter and a
remorseless lust for power to commit acts of gross violence --
but sleep soundly at night.

[from the demo description found on America On-Line]

If you want to read the missions themselves, the text can be found here.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 12:59:33 AM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2011, 01:32:14 AM »

Gamasutra engages in intense navel-gazing about the Syndicate Revamp and is... skeptical:
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/37207/Analysis_Is_Syndicate_A_Broad_Franchise.php
X-Com was a series of turn-based strategic games in the mid-90s whose owners tried to change it into a different game. First with real time modifications to the rules and later with whole action games set in the same universe, the series thoroughly lost its focus on existing fans and eventually petered out.

Problems like this usually arise when publishers misread or rationalise the behavior of their audience. In Syndicate's case, the fiction of the game has a certain resonant quality, but a central aspect of that resonance is the role that the player plays.

In Syndicate, you are not one of the soldiers stuck in a bad situation, you are one of the puppet masters. You run your own company and train and deploy soldiers on missions. You are a part of the evil that's actively destroying the world for profit.

There's no significant tribe of Syndicate players who always wanted the game to be a first-person shooter or role-playing game like Deus Ex. Syndicate was unique, and it is so well-remembered because of that uniqueness. EA don't seem to have fully appreciated that. Instead I fear they're trying to create a nuts-and-gum no-brainer with all the hallmarks of a game that only innovates half way.

Regretfully, I expect it will have a hard time, and will be a wasted opportunity.
Although I generally agree with him, general market tastes DO change, whether I like it or not. And at some point, turn-based tactical just wasn't a recipe for mass market success anymore.

There was a time when the idea of Fallout becoming an FPS action-focused RPG game instead of the turn-based tactical RPG gorefest we all knew and loved made people pick up torches and pitchforks. Now they seem to leap to the top of the sales charts every time Bethesda cranks one out.

So who's to say this and the X-COM as Shooter revamp won't set the sales charts on fire? They just won't tickle my nostalgia and my FPS motion sickness issues mean they're just a couple more franchises I'll have to wipe off my list. It's sad, but it saves me a lot of money and nausea.  icon_neutral I still question the idea of digging up franchises out of the gaming graveyard whose heydays were 18-20 years ago, and expecting that the names will mean anything to younger games today. I tend to think, "If you wanna steal some of the concepts of X-COM and Syndicate and whatever, fine, but why bother with a franchise name that won't resonate with your presumed target audience?" I'm 46, and clearly no longer the target audience.  icon_neutral
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 01:34:37 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2011, 11:07:54 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on September 15, 2011, 01:32:14 AM

Regretfully, I expect it will have a hard time, and will be a wasted opportunity.
Although I generally agree with him, general market tastes DO change, whether I like it or not. And at some point, turn-based tactical just wasn't a recipe for mass market success anymore.

Then I really don't have any idea why Final Fantasy Tactics and other JRPG games w/ turn based combat sell a lot.

There was a time when the idea of Fallout becoming an FPS action-focused RPG game instead of the turn-based tactical RPG gorefest we all knew and loved made people pick up torches and pitchforks. Now they seem to leap to the top of the sales charts every time Bethesda cranks one out.

So who's to say this and the X-COM as Shooter revamp won't set the sales charts on fire? They just won't tickle my nostalgia and my FPS motion sickness issues mean they're just a couple more franchises I'll have to wipe off my list. It's sad, but it saves me a lot of money and nausea.  icon_neutral I still question the idea of digging up franchises out of the gaming graveyard whose heydays were 18-20 years ago, and expecting that the names will mean anything to younger games today. I tend to think, "If you wanna steal some of the concepts of X-COM and Syndicate and whatever, fine, but why bother with a franchise name that won't resonate with your presumed target audience?" I'm 46, and clearly no longer the target audience.  icon_neutral

I'm guessing they hope to bring in the older gamers who DO remember the Syndicate name. If I were to guess, I'd say they are thinking "hey, its going to be a cool action FPS to sell to the younger crowd. If it hooks in the older folks because of the name, then BONUS money!"

But, yeah, bottom line to the EA execs: We want to play the soul crushing puppet masters, i.e. YOU. Not your minions.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2011, 11:11:48 AM »

And therein lies the crux of the matter! They will NEVER reveal the power and sheer joy to the plebs of being an Overlord!

A new one
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2011, 05:04:52 PM »

Actually, they don't hope to bring in older games who remember the game. They just happen to have a good name for a game that someone else hasn't copyrighted. slywink

The reason why FF tactics and JRPGs sell well, albiet, they actually aren't selling as well anymore despite a dedicated fanbase is nostalgia more than anything. Also, such games are more RPG puzzle than strategy. There's a giant chasm of difference between the quirk of a typical Asian style strategy RPG, and the kind of turn based combat games Western devs have put out.

Honestly, the only thing that really prevents turn based games from coming back is the console controller.

On the other hand, there are all these new touch devices out, but those are burdened by the need for simplicity for its audience.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2011, 06:30:08 PM »

I've said before - taking a RTS and using "Minority report" hand gestures would be a fantastic control mechanism for Kinect.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2011, 05:52:05 PM »

I was reading a TV columnist's Q&A chat and this came up about NBC's "remake" (already labeled a colossal turkey by some critics who's viewed initial episodes) of the British show Prime Suspect:
I can't answer that because the new show bares so little resemblance to the original. Usually when you re-make something you hope to pull in fans of the original -- that's what makes it a "pre-sold" commodity. But if you're just going to make all those fans very mad, what have you accomplished...
I thought, hmmm, you can paste that into Syndicate and XCOM discussion threads at GT and just replace "show" with "game."   smirk

Anything with co-op interests me (assuming they keep the feature intact for the PC version), so I'm not ready to write this off. I just don't have the best feeling. I'm just a little tired of the idea that every classic game must be "reimagined" as a first person shooter.

Playing
PC
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2011, 12:31:02 AM »

trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewwtznVkSxA

OK, I'm kinda excited.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2011, 01:13:16 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 30, 2011, 12:31:02 AM

trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewwtznVkSxA

OK, I'm kinda excited.
No razor wire (my favorite equipment in Syndicate Wars), no sale.  disgust

While I'm not of the "if it's not an isometric action-strategy game, it's not Syndicate" ilk, I am of the "if there isn't some sort of squad element, even of the FPS-squad variety, then it really isn't Syndicate" attitude. Instead, it seems to be "Sci-Fi Lone Wolf FPS #239848235" with you as a corporate bad-ass. It looks interesting, I just find it a shame that the Syndicate franchise was basically distilled down to "sci-fi corporate bad ass with a gun and a few gizmos," as opposed to something a wee bit more tactical. Though clearly I'm just whistling in a graveyard.

Playing
PC
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2011, 01:50:41 AM »

If it's from Syndicate Wars, it isn't Syndicate.  icon_wink
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2011, 08:20:43 PM »

New gameplay video (apparently NSFW and NSFSWF [Not Safe for Syndicate Wars Fans]  Tongue)

Syndicate SP Gameplay Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJY58Kq1UJg
*The NSFW seems to be more due to non-chalant headshotting of everyone in sight.  icon_razz

btw, if bobbing pistols in FPS games make you ill, take a pass on this video.  puke

While I think FPS fans will eat this up, I'm disappointed there doesn't seem to be the squad aspect I associate with Syndicate and Syndicate Wars (strategy or FPS or what have you). They do have the ruthlessness of the franchise down, there's no doubt about it.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 02:51:51 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2011, 05:46:35 AM »

looks pretty good,i am liking the ammo count on the weapons

i see the buttons(X,A,B and LT) are for a 360 controller,so is this 360 footage,or do those options appear on PC when using a 360 controller?

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2011, 03:37:20 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on October 13, 2011, 08:20:43 PM

New gameplay video (apparently NSFW and NSFSWF [Not Safe for Syndicate Wars Fans]  Tongue)

Syndicate SP Gameplay Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJY58Kq1UJg
*The NSFW seems to be more due to non-chalant headshotting of everyone in sight.  icon_razz

btw, if bobbing pistols in FPS games make you ill, take a pass on this video.  puke

While I think FPS fans will eat this up, I'm disappointed there doesn't seem to be the squad aspect I associate with Syndicate and Syndicate Wars (strategy or FPS or what have you). They do have the ruthlessness of the franchise down, there's no doubt about it.

Man, the guy right at the beginning sounds exactly like Michael Wincott. May even be him - he's done VG voice work in the past (Halo 2: Prophet of Truth). I get chills hearing him. Always reminds me of three movies: The Crow (he was Top Dollar), Robin Hood: PoT ("why a spoon, cousin?"), and Alien Resurrection.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2011, 04:21:03 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on October 14, 2011, 05:46:35 AM

looks pretty good,i am liking the ammo count on the weapons

i see the buttons(X,A,B and LT) are for a 360 controller,so is this 360 footage,or do those options appear on PC when using a 360 controller?
Most gaming news sites are assuming it's console footage.

The voice definitely sounded familiar, Purge.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 04:23:38 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2011, 01:09:47 AM »

I'm sorry guys, but that whole gameplay along with the syndicate sounds just triggered a Pavlovian response deep in the recesses of my mind.

IN!!

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2011, 08:38:12 PM »

RPS has some concerns after some very limited hands-on time:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/10/24/syndicate-preview/
Syndicate, or at least the ten minutes of it that I played, was disappointing. Not because it’s a first-person shooter based on a top-down strategy game and seems to have little in common with the original. I don’t care about that. The existence of the new game in no way affects the existence of the first game, and we’re promised that this FPS’s story is entirely based in the Bullfrog-created world. It was disappointing because this snippet was surprisingly dull to play.

Let’s be extremely clear – this was ten minutes. I played only ten minutes of Deus Ex: Human Revolution in June this year, and didn’t feel much toward it. Syndicate could easily flesh out to be an extraordinary game. But, at this point, my confidence is knocked. And that knocking comes in conjunction with the inevitable comparison with DX:HR.

It’s unfortunate for Starbreeze that the two games look quite so similar. Clearly a coincidence (Syndicate would have been well into development before they could know how DX was going to look), it’s one that’s going to prove an extra challenge for EA’s shooter. Because it is a shooter, and it’s not trying to be much more than that. This isn’t a game that encourages stealth – it’s a game about brutally shooting everything that moves.

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2011, 05:31:16 PM »

Syndicate 4-Player Co-op Trailer -- Hostile Takeover (HD)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=XGhh4lBBAvM
Create your own 4-player co-op team; cooperate, infiltrate and eliminate through nine action-packed missions, inspired by the original Syndicate game, in this new sci-fi first person shooter Syndicate, where BUSINESS is WAR.
If it really has cooperative campaign play, it might interest me in spite of all my motion sicky issues. That's assuming the campaign doesn't suck.  smirk
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 05:33:05 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2011, 01:44:32 PM »

So, in essence, for those who loved the persuadotron, this game's main mechanic to set it apart from other shooters is that you always have a built in persuadotron.

Not going to win over people, but still an interesting fact.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2011, 12:22:22 PM »

agent tools: http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=WJNsSNPktJg

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2011, 01:41:29 PM »

Everytime I hear that music I get goosebumps.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2012, 11:05:05 PM »

new preview: http://www.hookedgamers.com/pc/syndicate/preview/article-985.html

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2012, 03:36:15 PM »

*Sniff* EuroCorp... home away from home.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2012, 03:44:21 PM »

Is the original on GoG or Steam or anything?  I pretty much have to do a replay now.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2012, 03:48:07 PM »

It *may* be there on the 19th - According to GOG a fan favorite arrives there, starting with "S".

A new one
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2012, 05:45:44 PM »

more official version, straight from the horse's mouth:

Link

plus a contest to win a copy with three of your friends.

GOG.com needs your help to mobilize the forces of the DRM-free revolution to take over the world. You and three friends--real or imaginary, past or future--are going to form a team that you’d recommend to us to lead the charge to make DRM-free gaming the world’s biggest Syndicate.

We want to know if you’re up for the challenge.

Mission:
Assemble your team of cyborgs, give us your Team Name, Method of Operation, and any other relevant information you'd like.

Go on, spread your influence across the globe and tell us how.

Bounty:
1 free copy of Syndicate for the 10 posters who have the best Syndicate team. We’ll be reading through all of your posts (Hello, discordiac, our new marketing manager who “volunteered” for this job!) and picking the ones that we like best.

Rules:
1. Only one entry post per user. Feel free to comment & edit until the contest closes.
2. You may enter into similar contests that we are running on Twitter and Facebook, but only once via each different channel.
3. We will be picking 10 of our favorite teams from this thread to win their free copies of Syndicate.
4. The contest will end on Thursday the 19th of January 2012 at 7:00 AM EST.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 18, 2012, 12:35:31 PM »

co-op demo trailer:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8IMWusRsFJw

sadly it looks like the PC won't get any demo love.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: January 18, 2012, 01:18:04 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 18, 2012, 12:35:31 PM

co-op demo trailer:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8IMWusRsFJw

sadly it looks like the PC won't get any demo love.
Hehe. SynAgent03 was choking Sgt.Wang,if-you-know-what-I-mean...

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2012, 01:39:33 PM »

Voice cast announced:
http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20120210005055/en/Hollywood-Stars-Rosario-Dawson-Brian-Cox-Headline

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2012, 02:39:03 PM »

In the "it's not in our best interest to finish the game because we'll get laid off once we do" category...
http://www.bluesnews.com/s/130083/layoffs-strike-starbreeze
"It is sad that we are forced to make staff cutbacks affecting employees," says Starbreeze CEO Mikael Nermark. "But we have to reduce staff after the final delivery of the Syndicate."

Playing
PC
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2012, 08:39:05 PM »

so this is out next week, but I'm definitely waiting for PC impressions before I jump in.  I gotta bad feeling about this....

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2012, 03:25:20 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 18, 2012, 08:39:05 PM

so this is out next week, but I'm definitely waiting for PC impressions before I jump in.  I gotta bad feeling about this....
Trust your feelings, Han Solo.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2012, 09:56:01 AM »

7.5 from IGN:

Closing Comments

Syndicate hints at a fantastic puzzle meta-game, but relies on bullets flying to get through every level. Where the story walks a familiar road, the cooperative campaign’s tough-but-fun arcade action makes up for the missteps. Though uneven, Syndicate remains a good shooter full of incomplete great ideas. Grabbing three friends and battling for corporate supremacy online is well worth your time, but don’t expect to be wowed by playing alone.

7.0    Presentation
While the sci-fi setting mimics Syndicate’s 1993 counterpart, the generic single-player tale doesn’t impress.

9.0    Graphics
Though blinding lights pop up way too often, the futuristic world looks consistently great.

8.5    Sound
Good voice acting, nice musical touches, and all the expected bleeps and bloops of the future come into play here.

7.5    Gameplay
Boss fights get frustrating and there are too many standards in play, but the breach mechanic, co-op levels, and gunplay push it to the high side of good.

8.0    Lasting Appeal
The single-player story is super short, but hustling for high scores in co-op should keep you playing with friends for quite a while.

of course it looks to be the same as the 360 (and probably PS3) review, and doesn't mention anything PC specific.  they lost me at 'super short' though.

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 21, 2012, 10:17:36 AM »

Thats a lot better than I expected - I don't trust IGN though, so lets see what some of the other review sites say!

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2012, 10:28:26 AM »

6.5 from Destructoid.

I figure I can wait for a sale.  I got ME2 to replay, Amalur still sitting around, Alan Wake in the wings, SPAZ is calling, Starfarer is looking interesting, ME3 is on the horizon, then there's the Witcher 2, and......
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 10:30:29 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 22, 2012, 06:08:14 PM »

Gamespot reviewed the PC version (7.5/10):
http://www.gamespot.com/syndicate-2012/reviews/syndicate-review-6350825/?page=1
The Good
Fantastic, nail-biting cooperative play  
    Aggressive AI keeps the pressure on  
    Online progression system gives you reasons to return  
    Smooth animations and dazzling visuals  
    Gunplay and hacking lead to thrills

The Bad
Weak storytelling wastes the cool setting  
    Mediocre, poorly-paced campaign  
    Ridiculously oversaturated lighting effects impede gameplay.[JJ Abrams must've been involved  smirk]

Playing
PC
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 22, 2012, 06:24:43 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on February 22, 2012, 06:08:14 PM

fixed that for you, they put up the exact same one for all 3 frown  I keep hoping for a genuine PC review that's not a copy and paste of the console one.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 22, 2012, 06:46:08 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 22, 2012, 06:24:43 PM

Quote from: Blackjack on February 22, 2012, 06:08:14 PM

fixed that for you, they put up the exact same one for all 3 frown  I keep hoping for a genuine PC review that's not a copy and paste of the console one.
I don't read console reviews, so how would I know?  icon_smile

Since Gamespy only covers PC games now, how about an "in progress review" from them?

Review in Progress: Syndicate (PC)
http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/project-redlime/1219100p1.html
Nothing there about PC-controls but a bit on performance:
As a cross-platform game Syndicate doesn't exactly push the limits of PC hardware, but man does Starbreeze love that bloom lightning. The whole design theme of some levels made it feel like I was on the bridge of J.J. Abrams' Enterprise. [I knew it!  icon_lol]

Fortunately that didn't have an impact on performance, and Syndicate ran at a smooth and steady 60fps on my moderately powered PC even when hordes of mindless enemies where on the screen.

Playing
PC
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: