http://gamingtrend.com
April 25, 2014, 12:03:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EA Sports says bye to manuals + they've settle that football lawsuit!  (Read 2350 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: March 21, 2011, 09:17:20 PM »

looks like one sheet of paper folded in half was too much.  I imagine this will soon be the case for their other games too, since it seems to have worked well for Ubisoft.  maybe next up they'll get rid of cases and only use paper sleeves  icon_twisted
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 10:23:11 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 09:20:52 PM »

They said buh-bye to manuals a LOOOOOOOOOONG time ago.

It's more profitable to charge $15.99 for a proper manual (aka strat guide).
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 09:31:52 PM »

A decent manual is important to me and I don't like forking out extra $ for strategy guides. I can see a Publisher doing this for PC games if there's a PDF included on the DVD - although I'm not really enthused about that either. This just means I'll be buying less games published by EA. Here's hoping they keep letting Bioware make 1/2 decent manuals.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 09:34:42 PM »

Do games even have useful manuals anymore?  I haven't seen a good one in years.  It's all done in-game now.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 09:55:34 PM »

I cannot really remember the last time I opened a manual for any game.  I feel if I have to look into the manual to figure something out, the game has failed.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 11:06:08 PM »

buy game
get home
start installing
go for a shit
while reading said game's manual

well,that's screwed that up!! Tongue

i think some games still need a manual,like Morrowind,Oblivion or the upcoming Skyrim..but as that's not EA...RTS games i would like them to stay etc

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
ras752000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 01:46:38 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on March 21, 2011, 11:06:08 PM

buy game
get home
start installing
go for a shit
Alternative? Just take the online pass voucher with you instead and see if you can enter the code from memory once your done?

PSN=ras752000
Steam=ras752000gt
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 02:45:23 AM »

Quote from: ras752000 on March 22, 2011, 01:46:38 AM

buy game
get home
start installing
go for a shit
Alternative? Just take the online pass voucher with you instead and see if you can enter the code from memory once your done?

LOL....but i have to concentrate on...other things Tongue

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 04:20:27 AM »

Quote from: gellar on March 21, 2011, 09:55:34 PM

I cannot really remember the last time I opened a manual for any game.  I feel if I have to look into the manual to figure something out, the game has failed.

+1

Frankly, I'm glad they will be saving paper as I just never look in manuals.  Back in the old days you pretty much relied on the manual to know how to play a game, but now they have tutorials and such and so there really is no need.  If people want something crazy in-depth, they can buy the strategy guide (again, something I never bother with) and they get all kinds of goodies with that.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 06:35:01 AM »

the last time i actually really used a manual would of been for Lord of the Rings:The Battle for Middle Earth which was an RTS on the 360,its not that the tutorial did a bad job,but there was a lot of stuff to remember...so in that instance it was handy having the manual...but i guess pausing the game and hoping they have a control layout in the pause menu is just as good

msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 11:22:56 AM »

My first thought was OUTRAGE!!! But then I realized that I never read the manual anymore for anything. I agree with Gellar. If I have to go to the manual to find out how to do something, the game has failed.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 12:12:06 PM »

They're also preparing for all-digital media, which is coming soon enough.  Not too far from now, manuals will be pointless anyway, in paper form.  These games will be ready for digital distribution (and backwards compatible, in a way).  Although why they're starting with the sports titles is beyond me.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 01:12:00 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 22, 2011, 12:12:06 PM

They're also preparing for all-digital media, which is coming soon enough.  Not too far from now, manuals will be pointless anyway, in paper form.  These games will be ready for digital distribution (and backwards compatible, in a way).  Although why they're starting with the sports titles is beyond me.

Probably because the only thing in the manual is the control scheme, which is already just 2-3 button presses away while in game. Most people who play sports titles probably wont even notice if the manual is gone.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 01:38:57 PM »

I play a ton of sports titles and I usually glance at the manual for a few minutes before firing the game up for the first time, just to get a quick feel for the control scheme. Then I put it away, never to look at it again, and go play the tutorials. I'm not too bothered by this.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 01:57:49 PM »

Just about the only genre I actually read the manual for is Sports. Especially Baseball and Football. Too many different button functions to keep track of at first. Not that I buy any EA baseball or Football games, so oh well.

I can do without a Tiger Woods manual since the game usually does a good job of introducing you to the controls.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2011, 03:56:51 PM »

I haven't read a manual in 10 years, but it's not like a manual for a game has been good in a long time. Gone are the days of games with epic quality manuals like falcon 4 and Baldur's Gate 2.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2011, 04:26:03 PM »

Quote from: Larraque on March 23, 2011, 03:56:51 PM

I haven't read a manual in 10 years, but it's not like a manual for a game has been good in a long time. Gone are the days of games with epic quality manuals like falcon 4 and Baldur's Gate 2.

The Falcon 4 notebook wasn't just a manual, it was the reading material for a graduate course on how to flying a freaking jet. I spent hours just going through the flight exercises on the computer with the manual propped open on the desk. It was (and is) pretty as well.

A long time ago my brother-in-law worked for Sierra Online as an editor for the newsletter and website. I remember when MissionForce: Cyberstorm was released, it had no printed or PDF manual, instead there was an in-game reference encyclopedia. He said they received a massive amount of letters complaining about it and threatening that they would never buy a Sierra game again. Sierra did continue including printed manuals in their games after that.

Oops! This is wandering off into PC Gaming territory. Now I'm trying to remember the biggest manual that ever came with a console game, but I can't think of any that were memorable. Any suggestions?

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2011, 04:36:32 PM »

NFL 2k5 had an amazing in-game manual.  Not only did it explain controls and such, it actually explained the theory of football.  For example, it explained stuff like what a draw or screen play was, why you'd want to run a post route vs a curl, the various types of offensive and defensive strategies, and on and on.  At the time, I wasn't much into football, and it was absolutely amazing to have a game that didn't assume that you knew everything there was to know about football going into it.  Contrast that with Madden, where if you didn't know this stuff, then screw you.

Of course, I have no faith that this is the route that EA is going.  Really, it's not surprising, and not much of a loss.  Don't get me wrong, I miss the days of big, comprehensive manuals, and I'd love to see more games take the NFL 2k5 route.  But realistically, we haven't had worthwhile paper manuals in a long time, so may as well eliminate them and save the paper.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2011, 04:41:32 PM »

buy game
get home
start installing
go for a shit

well,that's screwed that up!! Tongue

i think some games still need a manual,like Morrowind,Oblivion or the upcoming Skyrim..but as that's not EA...RTS games i would like them to stay etc

Note to self: disinfect any traded games' manuals from metallicorphan

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2011, 04:56:35 PM »

As long as there's an in-game manual or digital manual I can refer to, I'm good.  I don't need the paper copy for a sports game.  I've found that most sports games don't cover all of the controls in the tutorials.  If it weren't for the manual or reading a forum, I'd completely miss out on some of the advanced controls.  Relying on the tutorials or in game help alone doesn't seem good enough...yet.   
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2011, 10:22:29 AM »

Wait. Since when do EA sports games have tutorials?

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2011, 02:48:46 PM »

For sports games, just go to the controller config in the game. It tells you right there what all the buttons do for offense, defense, etc. No need for a manual.

PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2011, 02:56:13 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on March 24, 2011, 02:48:46 PM

For sports games, just go to the controller config in the game. It tells you right there what all the buttons do for offense, defense, etc. No need for a manual.

I personally appreciate have the manual next to me with this information easily accessible.  I shouldn't have to pause the came, go to the controller configuration screen, work my way through the various button assignments, all to refresh my memory on how to steal in MLB2K11 or how to dive back to the bag (incidents that happen with minimal frequency and the controls do not remain fresh).

I typically keep the control layout pages of the manual open next to me while playing, especially when jumping from game to game with distinctly different controls.  And when control configurations depend on whether you are on offense, defense, in a menu screen, or substituting players, manuals can be a helpful tool.

I'm not completely against the paperless route, but I will be one who misses having a manual as a reference material.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2011, 03:03:06 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on March 24, 2011, 10:22:29 AM

Wait. Since when do EA sports games have tutorials?

The NHL games have had one for a few years now.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2011, 03:55:43 PM »

Pete, you are fabulous, but lazy. Anyway, all the different scenarios are in there. It would take me more effort to find the manual.

PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2011, 04:02:30 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on March 24, 2011, 03:55:43 PM

Pete, you are fabulous, but lazy. Anyway, all the different scenarios are in there. It would take me more effort to find the manual.

Lazy?  Why interrupt the flow of a game to go through a series of menus when the common trend has been to have a reference manual?  It's about convenience as well as immersion.  A question which could be solved by a quick glance to your left or right should instead involve navigating a series of on-screen menus?  You call it laziness, I call it unnecessary inefficiency.  Menu systems, while paper-saving, can be cumbersome.  Especially in sports games with complicated controls. 

Ultimately two-ply toilet paper uses more paper than EA manuals, and is usually more valuable, so while an inconvenience, it isn't the end of fabulousness.  I'll cope. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2011, 04:11:33 PM »

I agree, I like having the manual handy for the same reason...as a reference while I'm learning or relearning the controls.  And are you certain that all of the advanced controls are listed on the ingame controller config?  I may not be remembering correctly, but I don't remember seeing all of them for FIFA.  And some of those controls actually benefit from having a description.  "Vision Control" doesn't mean anything to me just reading it in a controller config.  "Vision Control will keep your player facing the net while skating" is good to know.  Or the controller config may read, "Right Stick - Skill moves", where the manual will further specify "Flick down - Nutmeg, Flick right - crossover, Flick up - lift", etc.  It helps. 

Now if they can design a controller config transparent overlay that can be accessed easily over the main game screen when needed, that might work.   
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2011, 08:29:33 PM »

figured this wasn't worth a new thread:  someone's taking another shot at their football monopoly.

Because I can,
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2011, 08:41:22 PM »

While I dislike EA's exclusive rights to the NFL and I've argued that charging $60 for essentially a roster update and one or two new updates that I may or may not use and that may or may not be broken is ridiculous, I have a hard time agreeing with the case. The whole thing seemingly revolves around the concept that EA has over charged for their games. $60 is the going rate for new games, so I'm not sure how that argument is valid.

Also, Madden has really increased in quality the past few years. This lawsuit is about three years too late.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2011, 09:05:12 PM »

"The case "Pecover V. Electronic Arts, Inc." claims that EA's exclusive licenses "foreclosed competition in an alleged football video game market."

I like how they use big words in order to make for the fact that they have absolutely no basis for a case.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2011, 09:12:59 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 06, 2011, 08:29:33 PM

figured this wasn't worth a new thread:  someone's taking another shot at their football monopoly.

Someone's still bitter and holding on very dearly to that copy of  NFL2K5
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2011, 09:13:47 PM »

It's stupid.

The NFL put their license up for sale and EA bought it. Boo-Hoo!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2011, 12:45:42 AM »

Quote from: Larraque on April 06, 2011, 09:12:59 PM

I think 4chan has found their next target.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2011, 01:28:05 AM »

Quote from: PeteRock on March 24, 2011, 02:56:13 PM

Quote from: The Grue on March 24, 2011, 02:48:46 PM

I personally appreciate have the manual next to me with this information easily accessible.  I shouldn't have to pause the came, go to the controller configuration screen, work my way through the various button assignments, all to refresh my memory on how to steal in MLB2K11 or how to dive back to the bag (incidents that happen with minimal frequency and the controls do not remain fresh).

I typically keep the control layout pages of the manual open next to me while playing, especially when jumping from game to game with distinctly different controls.  And when control configurations depend on whether you are on offense, defense, in a menu screen, or substituting players, manuals can be a helpful tool.

I'm not completely against the paperless route, but I will be one who misses having a manual as a reference material.

Agreed 100%.  I routinely play a game for a few hours and then not pick it up for a month or two.  Sports games are well past the three button control scheme of yore. 

morlac00 on PSN
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2011, 01:58:20 AM »

Yeah.  I have to combine keys to deliberately slash someone in NHL.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2011, 05:20:26 AM »

Has there been any coverage of how the NFL lockout might affect this year's Madden? If the NFLPA has dissolved, can EA still use individual player likenesses?
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2011, 09:53:40 AM »

I read an article in the NYTimes (sorry, no link cause I'm on the toilet) the other day that Madden will go forward as usual regardless of any lockout. Also, players that get a concussion are out for the game, along with a helpful comment by Collingsworth about the serious nature of head injuries.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2011, 10:05:05 AM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on April 07, 2011, 09:53:40 AM

I read an article in the NYTimes (sorry, no link cause I'm on the toilet) the other day that Madden will go forward as usual regardless of any lockout. Also, players that get a concussion are out for the game, along with a helpful comment by Collingsworth about the serious nature of head injuries.

that's hilarious
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2011, 06:43:59 PM »

Quote from: Larraque on April 06, 2011, 09:12:59 PM

ECO-Logic/Stockbr0ker
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2012, 10:21:31 PM »

looks like they've settled the football lawsuit:

Electronic Arts reached a settlement in a class action lawsuit that dates back to 2008 for $27 million, and will be unable to renew its exclusive agreement with the NCAA, providing the court upholds the settlement terms.

The original lawsuit claimed that EA violated antitrust laws by entering exclusive license agreements with the NFL, NCAA, and AFL. The $27 million settlement fund proposed by EA would, in part, benefit those that purchased any EA Sports football game from January 2005 to today. Specifically, customers that bought any of the included GameCube, Xbox, and PS2 games may get up to $6.79 per game, and $1.95 per Wii, Xbox 360, and PS3 game.

EA also agreed to stipulations on future license agreements as part of the proposed settlement, as it will not make any exclusive licensing deals with the AFL for five years, and will not renew its current agreement with the NCAA. Additionally, EA won't be able to enter another exclusive licensing agreement with the NCAA for five years. The company's exclusive NFL trademark licensing deal remains untouched in the proposed settlement, which awaits final approval by the court on September 27.

Because I can,
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: