http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 10:37:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EA Canada/Visceral Games working on open world Star Wars game?  (Read 463 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: November 27, 2013, 07:20:06 PM »

will it be good? Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future.  Visceral had done some good games, but EA Canada seems to have mainly done sports.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 08:37:36 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 27, 2013, 07:20:06 PM

will it be good? Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future.  Visceral had done some good games, but EA Canada seems to have mainly done sports.

do or do not, there is no try.  (come on EA, don't fail me now)

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 08:40:01 PM »

I have extremely little faith in EA's ability to create great games these days, so I can't say I'm excited.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 08:55:01 PM »

The NHL series by EA Canada is IMO some of the best gaming out there, but it's a lot different than an open world game. The talent is there, but will it transfer to a different genre?
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 10:17:09 PM »

I'm more looking forward to Battlefront 3
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 05:03:21 AM »

Visceral had done some good games, but EA Canada seems to have mainly done sports.

Until roughly 2 years ago EA Canada was the largest game studio in N.A. employing between 1,500 - 2,000 staff. It's famous for the NHL and FIFA games, but that studio maintained many talent pools and supported EA games globally. Many of the assets for games like LotR Return of the King, James Bond EoN among many others were cooperatively developed between that stuido and their sibling EA studios in other parts of the world. They also owned and housed much of Blackbox Entertainment, who produced a number of NFS games (including 2005's NFS MW) and the Skate series, in the same location.

My biggest concern about that studio producing a quality SW game lies with the management who I've never been impressed with. There's loads of underutilized quality talent still there and a heckuva lot more to be had in the city (ex relic Ent., ex Radical Ent., ex Blackbox, ex Propoganda studio, etc.) the studio is located in, but it doesn't amount to much with piss-poor management. IMO if they can get some good management behind this game, it has a good chance of amounting to something - but that's a big "IF".
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 01:34:57 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=e6-eId8rgyc#t=60

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, 02:03:15 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on November 28, 2013, 05:03:21 AM

Visceral had done some good games, but EA Canada seems to have mainly done sports.

Until roughly 2 years ago EA Canada was the largest game studio in N.A. employing between 1,500 - 2,000 staff. It's famous for the NHL and FIFA games, but that studio maintained many talent pools and supported EA games globally. Many of the assets for games like LotR Return of the King, James Bond EoN among many others were cooperatively developed between that stuido and their sibling EA studios in other parts of the world. They also owned and housed much of Blackbox Entertainment, who produced a number of NFS games (including 2005's NFS MW) and the Skate series, in the same location.

My biggest concern about that studio producing a quality SW game lies with the management who I've never been impressed with. There's loads of underutilized quality talent still there and a heckuva lot more to be had in the city (ex relic Ent., ex Radical Ent., ex Blackbox, ex Propoganda studio, etc.) the studio is located in, but it doesn't amount to much with piss-poor management. IMO if they can get some good management behind this game, it has a good chance of amounting to something - but that's a big "IF".

They did FIFA too? How did I not know that? Ok, they are responsible for two of my favourite games (FIFA and NHL). Cautiously optimistic for this then.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2013, 03:33:00 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on November 28, 2013, 02:03:15 PM

They did FIFA too? How did I not know that? Ok, they are responsible for two of my favourite games (FIFA and NHL). Cautiously optimistic for this then.

FIFA Star Wars!

Because I can,
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2013, 04:04:20 PM »

It'd be like a soccer version of Pigskin 621 A.D.  I'd love it.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2013, 07:12:37 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on November 28, 2013, 02:03:15 PM

Yep, the soccer pitch with the picturesque north shore mountains as a backdrop that's showed up in the odd FIFA game is situated there. About a decade ago I used to go there to kick around a ball with a few buddies that still work at the studio, but management is anal about that fields use these days. The studio buildings are actually about a block behind my old junior high school and are situated on land that was a juvenile detention center back when I was a teen. The more seasoned staff there joke that it still resembles that due to the youngish age of the general population and the ridiculously long work  hours.  slywink

BTW ex-XBone weanie Don Mattrick founded the original studio (DSI) that EA gobbled up and relabelled EA Canada. That was way back in the early 80's though, and IIRC they merged with EA around 1990.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 07:43:30 PM by kronovan » Logged
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2013, 08:47:53 PM »

Yeah, I've always found it interesting that the studio that designed the original Test Drive games ended up creating the Need for Speed franchise, which ended up being a rival franchise. The original 3D0 version of Need for Speed was a lot of fun.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2013, 08:53:23 PM »

Quote from: Rumpy on November 28, 2013, 08:47:53 PM

Yeah, I've always found it interesting that the studio that designed the original Test Drive games ended up creating the Need for Speed franchise, which ended up being a rival franchise. The original 3D0 version of Need for Speed was a lot of fun.

LOVED Driver X. Missed him in subsequent versions.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2013, 08:56:49 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on November 28, 2013, 04:04:20 PM

It'd be like a soccer version of Pigskin 621 A.D.  I'd love it.
would force lightning the referee be a foul?

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2013, 08:58:05 PM »

I'd be more concerned with unfair ref'ing due to Jedi Mind Tricks(tm).

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2013, 08:59:39 PM »

Yeah.

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2013, 09:34:22 PM »

Quote from: Rumpy on November 28, 2013, 08:47:53 PM

EA Canada used to be Distinctive Software and made the Test Drive series as well - awesome times!

A new one
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2013, 10:23:16 PM »

Didn't I just say that, Raz? Tongue
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2013, 05:50:21 AM »

Quote from: Rumpy on November 28, 2013, 10:23:16 PM

oh wow - My reading comprehension skills are...not up to par, eh? hehe, sorry about that- I thought I read something completely different!

A new one
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2013, 05:57:02 AM »

Quote from: Rumpy on November 28, 2013, 10:23:16 PM

... I remember this one time, Bullwinkle said ...

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2013, 11:58:50 AM »

who is moose?

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2013, 04:31:03 PM »

paranoid

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2013, 07:37:00 PM »

I'd be more concerned with the squirrel.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: