http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 12:28:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EA BUYS DICE  (Read 1782 times)
HankRaptor
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: January 26, 2005, 03:47:03 PM »

So, how long until there is only EA. My god they are on a rampage. All they need now is Take Two and Ubisoft and it will be a fate compleat, they will own the industry outright.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2005, 04:01:19 PM »

..and now they're saying that they're going to jack up prices for the next gen games.  

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/01/25/news_6117086.html
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2005, 04:12:48 PM »

Activision said the same thing some weeks back I think.

VGs are a billion dollar industry and the main entertainment venue for many people.  I would probably raise prices too.

But...as a fella who has never paid full price for a console game, I'm sure there will be work arounds for the NextGen too...

A big one, is not getting the system until it has been out for a couple of years. smile.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2005, 06:07:33 PM »

The DICE deal was in the works for a long time and was announced before EA went on the rampage.  The DICE shareholders scoffed at one of the demands on the offer, so EA had to re-offer with that demand taken out.  Evidently the DICE shareholders liked the new offer and agreed to it.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2005, 06:25:26 PM »

How crazy would it be to think they should team up with MS or Sony to start making hardware with one of them?

Imagine all the EA titles for one system?

I know it wouldn't be in EA's best interest (why limit yourself) but I'm sure MS or Sony would be wise to try and buy them.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2005, 07:34:46 PM »

Quote from: "HankRaptor"
So, how long until there is only EA. My god they are on a rampage. All they need now is Take Two and Ubisoft and it will be a fate compleat, they will own the industry outright.

It's fait compli, but you're right - this sucks.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2005, 08:49:24 PM »

i was expecting this.  dice has been a big money maker for ea and for them not to buy when another pub might is risky.  sure, it now guarantees endless BF clones for the next 10 years, it ensures that dice will be around that long.  

it also amazes me to think that with all the talk about the new systems, we haven't seen much yet in terms of games.  lots of talk, but talk is cheap.  (phantom) i do think that the big 3 will have showings at e3 though.

yeyeman9
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2005, 09:40:52 PM »

Caine, I agree with you. And if I am not wrong they have already oficially stated that the PS3 will be shown at E3. Not only that, but EA is working in 12 titles, or so, of the next-gen systems. They even stated that they will be out for the xbox 2 in late 2005 or early 2006, they always have lunch games, which means that the xbox 2 will be, probably, out this year. Making the PS3 not being far at all either, latest will be late 2006, IMO. Even though, a late 2005 release for PS3 would be perfect so they can compete perfectly well against Microsoft. It all points towards "The PS3 being done" or almost done, I heard they are going to release 4 pages of information regarding the PS3 soon, in a convention coming soon, not sure the name.

~Gamers are born to play~

"I have a suggestion for you: get married and if you find a good wife you will be happy forever, if not you will become a philosopher" - Socrates.
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2005, 02:47:30 PM »

It's fait compli, but you're right - this sucks.

thx

360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
tiny ogre
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2005, 05:15:03 PM »

Quote from: "Caine"
it ensures that dice will be around that long.  

Right, just like Origin, Maxis and Westwood!
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2005, 05:20:55 PM »

Ouch, good point.  

I honestly have to say that DICE was pretty much eaten up from the inside by EA anyway, so I'm not sure that this is really going to change a lot.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2005, 08:29:09 PM »

Quote from: "tiny ogre"

Right, just like Origin, Maxis and Westwood!

Funny, Maxis is still around making the Sim games...it has not been assimilated into a newly named EA studio with EA in front of it (like EA LA or EA Pacific).

And yes, EA has eaten up a lot of developers (which is true), like Tiburon...oh wait, they're still around too slywink

I don't expect DICE to be consumed and eliminated.  Unlike Origin (and arguably Westwood) they aren't in a downward spiral.  By the time EA had picked up Origin most of the big hitters outside of Richard Garriott had disappeared (like Chris Roberts, Warren Spector, etc.).

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2005, 09:35:09 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
Quote from: "tiny ogre"

I don't expect DICE to be consumed and eliminated.  Unlike Origin (and arguably Westwood) they aren't in a downward spiral.  By the time EA had picked up Origin most of the big hitters outside of Richard Garriott had disappeared (like Chris Roberts, Warren Spector, etc.).

EA bought Origin around 93/94...  Both Roberts and Spector were working on Origin projects until 1995 or later (Wing Commander 4, Crusader: No Remorse, Cybermage, etc. - all released in mid/late 95).  So the big names were still there when EA purchased Origin.  But they apparently saw the writing on the wall and got out while the gettin' was good.

Origin got into financial trouble with Strike Commander/Wing Commander 3 (necessitating the buyout), but the quality of the product was still very high for the most part.  Origin's "downward spiral" didn't truly start until EA decided to pull nearly everyone in the company from their individual projects to work on Ultima Online (96/97)
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2005, 10:17:50 PM »

Don't forget Bullfrog. I'd love a new Syndicate or Dungeon Keeper.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2005, 11:40:26 PM »

Good job Laner...forgot when they bought them.  On the other side of the coin it took 12 years for EA to totally shut down Origin and the studio in Austin, so Origin did live on for quite a while (whether successful or not is up to everyone's interpretation).  Could Maxis and DICE see the same fate?  Who knows.

HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2005, 04:13:42 PM »

Where is Bullfrog EXACTLY?

360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2005, 04:29:07 PM »

Quote from: "HankRaptor"
Where is Bullfrog EXACTLY?

You mean geographically or in the EA structure?  If it's the former, England...if it's the latter I think it is gone as a named studio.  Chances are if there were any people left at Bullfrog they were moved to California and inserted in one of EA's studios.  Most of Bullfrog's employees went on to create Lionhead Studios, who do games for a variety of publishers (including EA with Black and White).

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: