http://gamingtrend.com
November 29, 2014, 06:25:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EA and the Wii U  (Read 1235 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 17, 2013, 01:30:46 AM »

Last week it came out that EA currently had 15 Frostbite 3 developed games in production that would not release for the Wii U,they also supposedly ruled out any future DICE and Visceral EA Star Wars games as they will all use the DICE developed engine

We all have our own digs at EA,but their catalogue is still impressive to any Console especially when games sell by the bucket load to those loyal fans,all those sports games year after year,the shooters,the sequels(and now Star Wars games)....whatever you think of them,they sell and as of late the Frostbite engine seems to be a major player for EA games that aren't just named Battlefield

Anyway,Frostbite or not,now it seems EA has no games at all in production for the Wii U,it seems the early Wii U ports like Mass Effect 3,FIFA,Madden or NFS were just completing the contract EA and Nintendo had that started life for the Wii
Kotaku

Less than two years after vowing to deliver on an "unprecedented partnership" with Nintendo, gaming giant EA is quiet on the Wii U front.

"We have no games in development for the Wii U currently," company spokesperson Jeff Brown told Kotaku yesterday. He did not rule out the chances of EA developing for the Wii U again. EA publishes many of gaming's biggest franchises, including Madden, The Sims, and Battlefield.

EA's refusal to put its sports games on Sega's Dreamcast system in 1999 is seen as one of the signs of Sega's decline in as a console maker. The Dreamcast was Sega's last box. On the other hand, EA may not be the kingmaker it once was, and it could be argued that Nintendo's own Wii Sports is the most successful and broadly-appealing sports game of the last generation.

EA isn't alone in not having new games for Wii U. There are no signs of major forthcoming Wii U games from Take Two, with Grand Theft Auto V only promised for PS3 and Xbox 360. The next Call of Duty is also not announced for Wii U (the last one did come out for it). On the other hand, Warner Brothers has the next Batman game and the console-exclusive Scribblenauts Unmasked for Wii U this year. Ubisoft is bringing major Rayman and Assassin's Creed games to Wii U this year along with its ambitious new open-world game Watch Dogs.

So some publishers seem to be leaving,some still around..What should Nintendo do about this?,Should Nintendo do anything about this?...should Nintendo steer their ship away from these big developers/publishers(or at least the big named games)to have their little corner in the market,their uniqueness?

With the Wii the trend seemed to be you bought a Xbox 360 or a PlayStation 3 and coupled whichever one you chose with a Wii and you would be fine..although most here probably bought all three machines but the Gaming Trend Front Page story on the Wii still outselling the Wii U could mean EA aren't the only ones jumping..or perhaps not taking the leap in the first place

the original Wii console will outsell the Wii U by nearly 20,000 units this month alone. That’s right, it’s been six years and the Wii is still jogging strong with a solid 75,000 units sold this month in the US

Perhaps the Wii U touchpad is its own downfall here,EA for one can't just port these games over(oh and yeah they say the Frostbite engine isn't too good on the Wii U as well),they have to come up for some selling point with that pad ..the ideas may be there,but to implement them may be a little too much

Or Perhaps we should look at the Playstation 3,that took some time to take off,and Playstation 2 sales were still very impressive for a long time after Playstation 3 found its feet....is the same thing happening here?

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 01:35:27 AM »

The strength of the WiiU is that it can offer experiences that you can't get on the other consoles and a port of games made for other consoles are never going to make use of that strength beyond throwing in something gimmicky and pointless.  If EA isn’t willing to develop exclusives for the system than I would rather them not bother if it just means getting an inferior version of something I can get elsewhere.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 07:12:00 AM »

Ouch, that's gotta hurt for Nintendo. I have to think that the addition of the tablet has made things much harder to program, not to mention the extra commitment that devs aren't willing to give. It would have been much better if they'd have made that optional rather than mandatory, which would have opened up more potential developers. Not to mention the fact that Nintendo really messed up on informing the Wii crowd exactly what it was, ie is it an upgrade or a new machine?
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 12:45:08 PM »

This will definitely be hard for Nintendo to recover from.  The best way, I think, is for them to get busy on exclusives that make the uniqueness of the system dazzle.  If they get even one or two Must-Have games that are specifically unique to the Wii U, then the system will start selling and EA will come aboard and others will follow.

For most people, the Wii was the only system, not the other one they paired with their 360 or PS3.  The thing is that Wii was selling for more than just gamers.  That's the reason it dominated.

But they made this new one difficult for those same people to get their brain around.  Is it an upgrade?  What is the pad for, exactly?  TBH, I'm not sure Nintendo knows what to do with the thing yet.

Designing for the Wii U isn't an issue, though.  It doesn't take a lot to put whatever's in the pause menu onto the pad screen.  Why even use the screen at all, if you don't want?  Just slap a logo up there or something.

But it's not worth the effort to port it over if no one is buying the system.

Nintendo was in a similar situation with the 3DS and they deftly pulled themselves out of that hole.  But I'm not as sure they believe in the Wii U as much as they did the 3DS.  E3 will tell, I guess, but not having a press conference is sure as hell not a good indicator.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 01:07:26 PM »

I smell price drop announcement at E3. At least I hope so.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 03:27:00 PM »

It makes me really sad to say this, because I love the U...

But this is quickly becoming a dead platform.    RIP Wii U.   frown
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 05:01:03 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on May 17, 2013, 01:07:26 PM

I smell price drop announcement at E3. At least I hope so.

If we are talking about the Wii U it has already had a few decent price drops here in the UK,i think ASDA(owned by Wal-Mart)is selling the premium system for £200(started at £300 i think),while the standard version is £149(was £249)

Immediately when ASDA did that Amazon matched its prices

This was at the beginning of this month

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 05:57:18 PM »

I can't think of any EA titles that I don't buy for the PC in the first place other than their sports series, so no real biggie for me.  Honestly though, I think Nintendo should start considering maybe going the SEGA route with game development and foregoing hardware development except for their handhelds.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 06:18:35 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 17, 2013, 12:45:08 PM

This will definitely be hard for Nintendo to recover from.  The best way, I think, is for them to get busy on exclusives that make the uniqueness of the system dazzle.  If they get even one or two Must-Have games that are specifically unique to the Wii U, then the system will start selling and EA will come aboard and others will follow.

Last I heard, the Wii U is getting some exclusive Sonic games, which might help. I agree, they need more exclusives to sell the system. So far, most of the games have been versions of other games on the other consoles with added content. Would love an official game where Mario and Sonic are able to play through each of their respective worlds. With a bit of co-op and unique abilities for each character, something like that could be interesting.

For most people, the Wii was the only system, not the other one they paired with their 360 or PS3.  The thing is that Wii was selling for more than just gamers.  That's the reason it dominated.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 01:05:10 AM »

Their decision to release another console with modest, last gen tech looks like a major blunder, especially when the Wii U isn't even considered a next gen console by 3rd party developers.  I'm confused why they even bothered to release a new console if they weren't serious about devoting the tech/resources/money and marketing to compete with the next generation.  Hardware is a huge $ sink.  I just can't believe that they would be happy with a niche Nintendo fan base only market share in North America.  If that's the case, they really should focus on making great multiplatform games instead.         
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2013, 01:13:49 AM »

I don't how bad this actually is for the system. Seems to me the core of Nintendo's systems have always been their own franchises lie Mario, Zelda, Metroid etc. That seems to me to be what most fans talk about anyways so if they can deliver on them I still see fans buying the system. Now getting to the huge more casual masses the first Wii got too I'd say that doesn't look likely with the WiiU. I see this generation being more like the Gamecube.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2013, 01:46:06 AM »

Quote from: Jumangi on May 18, 2013, 01:13:49 AM

I don't how bad this actually is for the system. Seems to me the core of Nintendo's systems have always been their own franchises lie Mario, Zelda, Metroid etc. That seems to me to be what most fans talk about anyways so if they can deliver on them I still see fans buying the system. Now getting to the huge more casual masses the first Wii got too I'd say that doesn't look likely with the WiiU. I see this generation being more like the Gamecube.

Which would be a very bad thing for Nintendo.  The Gamecube was not a success and the only thing that kept Nintendo afloat was the overwhelming success of the GBA at the time.  I'm not sure what the sales stats are on the 3DS at this point, but it's not at the GBA level for sure.  They may still be doing well with the DS, but I still doubt they could afford another Gamecube.

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 02:25:25 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 18, 2013, 01:46:06 AM

I'm not sure what the sales stats are on the 3DS at this point, but it's not at the GBA level for sure.  They may still be doing well with the DS, but I still doubt they could afford another Gamecube.

Actually, the 3DS is selling very well right now.  

3DS (+XL) To date has sold 38.87 Million over a little more than two years

The GBA(all versions) sold  81.48 million over 6 years.

The DS(all versions) sold 128.9 million over 9 years.

Also, for fun, the Vita has sold 5.12 million to date.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 04:38:01 AM by Lordnine » Logged
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2013, 11:34:56 AM »

and now there is this....funny how he says what a few of us have been thinking about they should of done a SEGA
CVG

EA software engineer Bob Summerwill has criticised Nintendo's Wii U console for being 'less powerful than Xbox 360' and lacking viability for third party publishers.

Summerwill, who according to this Linkedin profile is a senior software engineer and architect at Electronic Arts, launched his attack on the Wii U via Twitter in response to posts relating to EA's current lack of Wii U development.

"The Wii U is crap," began Summerwill's multi-post outburst. "Less powerful than an XBOX360. Poor online/store. Weird tablet. Nintendo are walking dead at this point."

Summerwill went on to say that, "Nintendo platforms have always been very poor revenue-wise for third parties," claiming, "only Mario and Zelda make money," in reference to the historical trend -particularly on Wii - for first-party Nintendo titles to dominate software sales on its platforms.

Summerwill criticised Nintendo's hardware philosophy with Wii U when compared with its current rivals. "Sony, MS, Apple, Google all following the same playbook... standard, powerful, hardware, with focus on software and services.

"Nintendo are still operating like it's 1990. They should have 'done a Sega' and offered Mario/Zelda as PS4/Durango exclusives," he said, suggesting Nintendo exit the console business as did Sega after its failed Dreamcast console in 2001.

"Instead they make this awful console, and [Wii Street U]. Just stop it! Just make great games!" he pleaded.

Speaking more specifically about EA's present lack of Wii U development, Summerwill said, "Yep, we've got plenty of problems, but Wii U isn't where that family/casual market is. It's on mobile/tablet now.

"It is an utterly intentional decision to focus our resources on markets which actually matter... like mobile, and Gen4," he added, with 'Gen 4' being how some publishers are referring to the next generation of consoles (PS4/next-Xbox).

EA yesterday confirmed that it has "no games in development for the Wii U", delivering a potentially devastating blow to Nintendo's Wii U campaign.

Earlier today, an EA rep confirmed that there will be no FIFA 14 on Wii U because of the "disappointing" sales of FIFA 13 on the console. This comes after the publisher confirmed it will also not be releasing a Wii U version of this year's Madden NFL 25.

Sounds harsh to me,even if i do agree with some points
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 11:37:20 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2013, 01:17:00 PM »

Sounds harsh to me,even if i do agree with some points

I can explain that.    If he works for EA, then he is a son of a b**ch.   

It's like listening to an interview with Grand Moff Tarkin and wondering why he sounds like a dick.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2013, 02:52:37 PM »

I agree that Nintendo should have pulled out of the hardware market years ago, and focused on software for the next generation of consoles.  Nintendo's handheld market is very strong currently; but I can see that losing ground to smartphones in the coming years since there are far more smartphone users than Nintendo DS users.

This month hasn't been good for Nintendo news, and the only good thing right now is that Nintendo is still very much a strong company that has options. I do not believe Nintendo will go bankrupt, but they will have to change their business model if they want to survive into the next 2 generations of the gaming market.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2013, 03:02:55 PM »

Quote from: Sparhawk on May 18, 2013, 02:52:37 PM

I agree that Nintendo should have pulled out of the hardware market years ago,

I don't know about pulling out years ago...I was not a fan of the Wii,but it outsold the PS3 and 360,and although the GameCube practically died on the shelves,i loved it,LOL

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2013, 03:12:26 PM »

I agree that Nintendo should have pulled out of the hardware market years ago, and focused on software for the next generation of consoles.  Nintendo's handheld market is very strong currently; but I can see that losing ground to smartphones in the coming years since there are far more smartphone users than Nintendo DS users.

This month hasn't been good for Nintendo news, and the only good thing right now is that Nintendo is still very much a strong company that has options. I do not believe Nintendo will go bankrupt, but they will have to change their business model if they want to survive into the next 2 generations of the gaming market.

They're already losing ground to smart phones.  

Note that this is the app store vs all handhelds combined.

Source

Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2013, 03:20:06 PM »

eek

Nintendo is still beating the Vita!  icon_biggrin

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2013, 05:24:57 PM »

I agree that Nintendo should have pulled out of the hardware market years ago, and focused on software for the next generation of consoles.  Nintendo's handheld market is very strong currently; but I can see that losing ground to smartphones in the coming years since there are far more smartphone users than Nintendo DS users.

when you look at the numbers lately one could say they should stick with handhelds and Sony should stick with consoles.

Because I can,
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2013, 07:28:14 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 18, 2013, 05:24:57 PM

when you look at the numbers lately one could say they should stick with handhelds and Sony should stick with consoles.

This. They could could make huge bank getting MS and Sony to fight over their core franchises. MS paid what $50 million just for a timed exclusive for GTA DLC? Nintendo is about Mario an Zelda not goofy systems with poor motion controls or a cheap pseudo tablet experience.
davidrobots
Senior Lead Editor
Gaming Trend Reader

Holler holler get dollar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2013, 10:01:39 PM »

Nintendo would stop being a company before they ever released Mario on a competitor's console. That's the reality of the situation. Whether that's the right choice, I couldn't say either way. But Nintendo is notoriously protective of their brands, and there's no way they'd dilute it even a little bit by allowing one of their franchises to appear on Xbox, PlayStation, or even iOS.

David Roberts
Managing Editor, Gaming Trend

Twitter: @davidrobots
Nintendo ID: davidrobots
Xbox Gamertag: FencerMusashi
PSN ID: Fencer Musashi
Steam: davidrobots
3DS: 2148-8144-9369
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2013, 10:13:13 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2013, 10:44:47 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 18, 2013, 10:13:13 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

the appropriate response for David here would be

Spoiler for Hiden:

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2013, 10:46:42 PM »

of course, after looking up those 3 games I can see why Nintendo won't let a third party touch their Link.

Because I can,
davidrobots
Senior Lead Editor
Gaming Trend Reader

Holler holler get dollar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2013, 10:57:53 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 18, 2013, 10:13:13 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

This was a weird licensing deal between Phillips and Nintendo, as Phillips was working on a Super Nintendo CD to counter Sega CD. They cancelled the project, but the licensing deal still remained. Which is why those abortions exist. Which is why Nintendo will never let that happen again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legend_of_Zelda:_Wand_of_Gamelon#History_of_the_Zelda_CD-i_franchise

David Roberts

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2013, 11:46:37 PM »

Putting their games on another console (exclusively or not) does not mean Nintendo has to give up the right to create those games themselves, to their standards.  That was just a really poor licensing decision.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
davidrobots
Senior Lead Editor
Gaming Trend Reader

Holler holler get dollar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2013, 12:34:45 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 18, 2013, 11:46:37 PM

Putting their games on another console (exclusively or not) does not mean Nintendo has to give up the right to create those games themselves, to their standards.  That was just a really poor licensing decision.

This is true, but the way I see it, Nintendo sees Mario and internally created consoles as synonymous with each other. Meaning, if one were to go, so would both. It would be really arrogant for them to essentially ignore potential methods for saving their business by creating games for other platforms. But I think that Nintendo would be too prideful to let that happen, and would rather see their company go under completely before they allow Mario to appear on another console.

If I've learned anything during my time playing video games, it's that ANYTHING is possible, but it'd take some serious inward reflection and massive changes for them to even consider third-party development. I don't see it happening within the near future.

David Roberts

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2013, 12:38:56 AM »

The thing with Nintendo on other systems is that they have a long history of developing technology because they want to experiment with/develop a certain type of game.  I don’t remember where it was but I remember reading a long editorial on it and it made sense.  They also tend to be at least briefly ahead of the curve control wise even if they aren’t graphically.

Basically
NES – Dpad allowed for easier side scrollers
N64 – Joystick to allow 3D platformers. 4 controller ports by default for party games.
GameCube – Duel Joysticks for better FPS.
Wii – Motion controlled games
DS – Touch controls
WiiU – Tablet for divergent gameplay experiences.  Player 1 doesn’t have to play the same type of game as player 2.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 12:42:29 AM by Lordnine » Logged
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2013, 03:26:16 AM »

There's nothing "ahead of the curve" with the WiiU tablet controller. Its a blatant attempt to get in on the tablet/smartphone popularity of the last few years. IMO its another gimmick by Nintendo. They think they can hit lightning in a bottle again like they did with the Wii...not gonna happen.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2013, 04:34:25 AM »

Quote from: Lordnine on May 19, 2013, 12:38:56 AM

The original PlayStation had a Dual Analog Controller released 4 years before the GameCube.  The DualShock controller came to the original Playstation with dual analog sticks 3 years before the GameCube was released.  The Playstation 2 also had the DualShock 2 and released a year before the GameCube.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2013, 04:55:01 AM »

I wasn’t saying that they are always right, just that they develop hardware in anticipation of a game type they want to make, thus they are unlikely to want to be stuck with another companies hardware.

Quote from: Jumangi on May 19, 2013, 03:26:16 AM

There's nothing "ahead of the curve" with the WiiU tablet controller. Its a blatant attempt to get in on the tablet/smartphone popularity of the last few years. IMO its another gimmick by Nintendo.
Divergent gameplay is a thing though; as far as I know it has never been done before on a console (PC yes).  

Some of the games in Nintendoland do this very well (others very poorly) but give the player with the tablet a unique gameplay experience to what controller users have.  

Rayman Legends also uses this in an interesting way, allowing one player to manipulate the environment with the touchpad while the other player(s) run the course as a normal 2D platformer.  I highly recommend this one; by the way, we’ve been playing it extensively since they release new courses every day.

I can also see this used to great effect for future games that emulate table top roleplaying.  Basically, dungeon master on tablet.

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 19, 2013, 04:34:25 AM

The original PlayStation had a Dual Analog Controller released 4 years before the GameCube.  

I thought the PS1 had this thing?  
Spoiler for Hiden:
I don’t know personally, I never owned one.  Just going by what I remember from the article.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2013, 05:08:40 AM »

they replaced that with the Dualshock in 1997, 4 years before the Gamecube came out.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2013, 09:42:51 AM »

yeah i remember 'upgrading' to the Dual shock,i still have both controllers for my now 'browning(aging)' PlayStation

Quote from: davidrobots on May 19, 2013, 12:34:45 AM

If I've learned anything during my time playing video games, it's that ANYTHING is possible,

THIS^^...who would've thought this would ever happen,they were at each others throats in the early 90s

I have often wondered if this was massively humiliating for SEGA
Spoiler for Hiden:

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2013, 03:15:30 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on May 19, 2013, 04:55:01 AM

I wasn’t saying that they are always right, just that they develop hardware in anticipation of a game type they want to make, thus they are unlikely to want to be stuck with another companies hardware.

Quote from: Jumangi on May 19, 2013, 03:26:16 AM

There's nothing "ahead of the curve" with the WiiU tablet controller. Its a blatant attempt to get in on the tablet/smartphone popularity of the last few years. IMO its another gimmick by Nintendo.
Divergent gameplay is a thing though; as far as I know it has never been done before on a console (PC yes).  

Some of the games in Nintendoland do this very well (others very poorly) but give the player with the tablet a unique gameplay experience to what controller users have.  

Rayman Legends also uses this in an interesting way, allowing one player to manipulate the environment with the touchpad while the other player(s) run the course as a normal 2D platformer.  I highly recommend this one; by the way, we’ve been playing it extensively since they release new courses every day.

I can also see this used to great effect for future games that emulate table top roleplaying.  Basically, dungeon master on tablet.

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 19, 2013, 04:34:25 AM

The original PlayStation had a Dual Analog Controller released 4 years before the GameCube.  

I thought the PS1 had this thing?  
Spoiler for Hiden:
I don’t know personally, I never owned one.  Just going by what I remember from the article.

Nintendo themselves did divergent gameplay back on the Gamecube with a GBA extension which let you play 4 Swords and a Pac-Man game that is extremely similar to a lot of the games in Nintendoland (the GBA player was Pac-Man and everyone else played the ghosts).

It wasn't built into the console, which I think was your point, but it was a gimmick.

I see the Wii U not so much as a blatant attempt to ride the mobile wave (the Wii U isn't super mobile, though you can buy a car adapter), as much as a way to continue what they've been doing on the DS into the living room.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 03:19:09 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2013, 05:58:18 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 19, 2013, 03:15:30 PM

Nintendo themselves did divergent gameplay back on the Gamecube with a GBA extension which let you play 4 Swords and a Pac-Man game that is extremely similar to a lot of the games in Nintendoland (the GBA player was Pac-Man and everyone else played the ghosts).

It wasn't built into the console, which I think was your point, but it was a gimmick.
Back then I would agree that it was a gimmick.  Part of the problem was that you needed the new hardware to play and then even if you had it, you were limited to one game.  As such I don’t think many people tried it.  This is the same thing that occurred with Wii Motion Plus.  Basic motion controls with the system sucked but the add-on actually made them pretty good.  The problem was it was a rather expensive add-on.  Games didn’t support it because they couldn’t be sure that users would own it, as such, it never took off as more than a novelty.

The WiiU has a lot more potential in that regard (if only people would make use of it).  Everyone who has the system has the hardware.  

Even the half assed ZombiU multiplayer is pretty cool.  For those that don’t know about it, the person with the gamepad gets a top down perspective of the world and is able to place various types of zombies on the battlefield in real time with the stylus.  You are able to place anywhere that the other player cannot currently see.  The person with the classic controller plays a more traditional FPS and has to fight his way to objectives avoiding the zombie traps placed by the game pad user.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2013, 10:27:58 AM »

GameInformer

EA Backpedals,Games in development for Wii U

"We are building titles for the Nintendo console, but not anywhere near as many as we are for PS or Xbox."

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2013, 05:10:07 PM »

I imagine it can at least run The Sims games biggrin

Because I can,
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2013, 06:06:02 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 19, 2013, 03:15:30 PM

You missed Splinter Cell in your list, which cleverly allowed you to control sticky bombs with the GBA and also presented a radar map that displaed surveillance cameras. Had the radar actually worked and not been so inaccurate I would have called that bit of integration far more than a gimmick, but unfortunately the radar was completely useless. The PacMan game was gimmicky, but that didn't stop my kids from getting hours of enjoyment from it.  slywink

I doubt we'll ever see Nintendo develop any of their prime franchises for another console ever again. It would be equivalent to MS now developing a Halo game for an OS they don't own. I expect they'll go bust this gen with the Xbone, but the chances of Master Chief ever showing up on a 3rd parties console is about as likely as Mario, Link or Samus ending up there.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 06:10:21 AM by kronovan » Logged
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2013, 10:08:49 PM »

EA will resume Wii U Support When It's A Viable Platform

Electronic Arts will resume full support for Wii U when it "becomes a viable platform" on which to sell games, says EA Labels president Frank Gibeau.

Gibeau told Joystiq this week that Nintendo must "sell more boxes" for EA to resume full support for the platform.

"Look, the only thing they can do to fix it is to sell more boxes. We're a rational company, we go where the audience is. We publish games where we think we can make a great game and hit a big audience, and make money. That's why we're here, that's why we have an industry," said Gibeau.

"The Wii U, we shipped four games. We shipped Madden, FIFA, Need for Speed and Mass Effect. In fact, the last Need for Speed shipped 60 days ago had a pretty good Metacritic. It was a good game. It wasn't a schlocky port, we actually put extra effort into getting everything to work. And it's just not selling because there's no boxes," he added.

Funnily enough earlier this week Ubisoft also said that Nintendo needs to sell more Wii U's and they will let the console have more exclusives
edited to include GT front page news
GT Front Page
“We need more sold.They are coming with five of their biggest brands ever. And the Yen went down. So maybe they will take steps that will increase the number of consoles sold.” Those are some optimistic words that follow, but ‘we need more sold’ is a direct statement of the company’s position right now: if Nintendo wants exclusives, they need a larger userbase than they currently have right now.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 10:31:27 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: