http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 09:09:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EA actively seeking to corner the entire sports gaming marke  (Read 2475 times)
jpinard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 16, 2004, 09:27:29 AM »

All I have to say is Nascar Racing.  EA could not compete with Papyrus, who every year put out a WAY better product than EA.  The reviews for EA's Nascar were always lower because everyone had "something better to compare it to".  Now that EA has the exclusive license for Nascar, they still haven't come close to matching what Papyrus did 3 years ago with realism.

Those of you defending EA and saying it's the NFLPA's fault need a reality check.  EA has been actively trying to corner all aspects of the sports market for years.  There are discussions occurring for the NHL and NBA as I speak.

What many of you don't know, is that EA has been badgering the NFLPA tog et exclusive rights for years.  It just happens to be, EA finally wrote a check big enough for them to bite.  What people also don't consider is that just because EA did not buy exclusive rights, DOES NOT MEAN Sega would have.  The NFLPA put a ridiculous price on sole licensing.  I doubt they would have lowered it to "just get anyone to solely license them".

NOTE: EA owns exclusive rights to FIFA and PGA as well.

So, I'd suggest you all take a hard look at the Monopolistic tactics EA is employing and see what a terrible long-term affect this will have on our games.  With nothing to compare their mediocre offerings of NHL to, and no competition, things will generally stay status quo.  I mean, with GOOD competition for their hockey games, EA still puts out a mediocre hockey game.  You think it will magically be different if they have ZERO competition?  Every year that game becomes less and less of a true sim of hockey - and that's with excellent competition.

As far as I can see, the majority of you want a REAL football experience.  After all, we spend hundreds of hours trying to "fix" the game only to come up short every single year.  Nathan from EA says, "Quality will not suffer".  I'm not worried about "quality per say".  I'm worried about finally getting a game that feels like football.  Not like Superhero Bloodbowl (yes I'm exaggerating).

Personally I like Madden, but every year I find it exceptionally lacking in feeling like real football.  There are games from a DECADE ago that had a better simulation engine than Madden has ever had.  So I'd suggest you all seriously consider signing this petition to reverse the decision to corner the market.  If we don't speak up now, this trend will snowball and will leave us with sports gaming products that year after year fail to innovate due to lack of competition  (if you don't believe me look at Nascar, FIFA, and PGA - and the painful crawl of innovation in those titles the last year).

Here's the link:  http://www.petitiononline.com/nfleacon/petition.html

<edited for typos, and to apologize to those that have already seen this on my other forums>
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2004, 02:24:20 PM »

Wouldn't it be simpler to just *NOT* buy crappy EA sports games?

I mean, who is being hurt here?

The unsuspecting consumer?
Caveat Emptor I say. If Joe Blow can't be bothered to do research and read reviews then he deserves to blow $50 on a bad football game.  If EA is the only game in town then send a message by NOT BUYING THE BAD GAME!

The hardcore gamer?
Is there a hardcore gamer who honestly cannot find another genre to play in his backlog? Maybe this will finally get us to dig into that stack of unplayed games.

The developer?
Anybody who was hoping to wow the world with football AI can take his AI skillz and use them to beef up FPS, RTS, or TBS AI. All types of games can benefit from an AI whiz kid, not just football.  Ditto for graphics programmers, music, etc.

Think about it. EA paid a pretty penny to get exclusive licensing. That money has to be made up in profit from selling games. If the games don't sell well, then the licensing becomes a liability. The key point is:

BAD GAMES MUST NOT BE BOUGHT!

So think about that next time EA puts out a sports game. Spread the word. Tell your friends: IF THE GAME DOESN'T FIT, DROP IT AND QUIT.

It'll fix the situation better than a petition.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2004, 02:36:14 PM »

You'd think EA wanted to put themselves in the same position MS was in a few years ago with everyone filing lawsuits against them and being a big public enemy by forcing all competition out of business in two ways.

EA puts out a decently competative product and sells it at prices that hugely undercut the current market.  Prices that other developers and publishers cannot match without going out of business.  They do this to make a rapid take over of the market share and place themselves as the number 1 sports game seller in order to get to step 2.

EA uses it's giant funding to buy a monopoly on high profile licenses where they currently have stiff compeition for the number 1 sports games.  This new contractual right to a monopoly on sports licenses immediately forces all EA competition out of business.

This is yet another failure of our economic system where we allow the building of monopolies and the crushing of the little man and do nothing about it.
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2004, 02:39:04 PM »

For what it is worth, I signed the petition.  The only EA game I have presently is Burnout 3, and not to be snide, but I think it's my last from them.  Some of their games - like Freedom Fighters - are great, but I don't like how they do Xbox Live, and I resent their agressiveness.  It'll be interesting to see what football game Sega puts out next year.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2004, 03:53:09 PM »

Quote from: "raydude"
Wouldn't it be simpler to just *NOT* buy crappy EA sports games?

I mean, who is being hurt here?

The unsuspecting consumer?
Caveat Emptor I say. If Joe Blow can't be bothered to do research and read reviews then he deserves to blow $50 on a bad football game.  If EA is the only game in town then send a message by NOT BUYING THE BAD GAME!

The hardcore gamer?
Is there a hardcore gamer who honestly cannot find another genre to play in his backlog? Maybe this will finally get us to dig into that stack of unplayed games.

The developer?
Anybody who was hoping to wow the world with football AI can take his AI skillz and use them to beef up FPS, RTS, or TBS AI. All types of games can benefit from an AI whiz kid, not just football.  Ditto for graphics programmers, music, etc.

Think about it. EA paid a pretty penny to get exclusive licensing. That money has to be made up in profit from selling games. If the games don't sell well, then the licensing becomes a liability. The key point is:

BAD GAMES MUST NOT BE BOUGHT!

So think about that next time EA puts out a sports game. Spread the word. Tell your friends: IF THE GAME DOESN'T FIT, DROP IT AND QUIT.

It'll fix the situation better than a petition.

You'd be surprised how many people own a PS2, a copy of Madden, and that's it.  And they'll buy next year's, and the next year's, and so on.  They couldn't care less about the situation or the relative quality, unfortunately, as they have nothing else to compare it to.
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2004, 04:49:12 PM »

Laner your right about that...  it's sad when businesses can rely on the "moron" factor to make sales.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2004, 04:55:20 PM »

Quote from: "jpinard"
Laner your right about that...  it's sad when businesses can rely on the "moron" factor to make sales.

No that is capitalism.  

Consumers have all the freaking power in the system but they totally piss it away by being stupid.  

If next year no one bought any EA games the company wouldn't keep that contract (they would probably be bankrupt) and consumers would "win"

That is the power of the capitalist system.

jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2004, 04:57:43 PM »

Maybe we should change the capitalist system because there's too many uninformed people out there who don't care enough about what's wrong...
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2004, 05:17:22 PM »

Really though, it's NOT that important enough to care about. So big deal, NFL sports games *MIGHT* suck for a while. The gaming business goes in cycles, so wait until the next cycle when EA crumbles and buy the games then.

Until then I'm pretty sure everyone on this board has a backlog of games or anticipates games other than NFL sports titles.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2004, 05:30:41 PM »

Well some of us do care a lot.  Some of us have the time, and some of us love football.  Just because you don't doesn't mean you've got to be an asshole and tell us this situation is irrelevant.

If it's not important enough for you to care about, why'd you even read this thread and respond?

Sorry, but I am passionate about what I spend my time doing.  and I'll, bedamned if someone is going to tell me my passion is NOT important.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2004, 06:26:23 PM »

I'm gonna go with jpinard here. I see what raydude is getting at, but still disagree with this "deal" wholeheartedly.

I don't play football games but maybe one every three or four years. I just don't. I don't know why, but the bug only catches me every so often. However, when I do pick up one of these games, I'd much rather it not be the same version of Madden regurgitated from when I played the game in 2001. This, unfortunately, is how I feel about the last 4 iterations of Madden. I don't see that changing in the future if they have no competition.

Utter nonsense.

The NFL and the NFLPA need a big smack upside their heads. They really do. I'd place most of the blame for this on their shoulders.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2004, 06:36:07 PM »

Well some of us do care a lot.  Some of us have the time, and some of us love football.  Just because you don't doesn't mean you've got to be an asshole and tell us this situation is irrelevant.

If it's not important enough for you to care about, why'd you even read this thread and respond?

Sorry, but I am passionate about what I spend my time doing.  and I'll, bedamned if someone is going to tell me my passion is NOT important.

The way I see it, since I can't see your face and you can't see mine we can only judge the tone of the argument by words on a screen.

So let's see:

"Really though, it's NOT that important enough to care about. " <-- me
" Just because you don't doesn't mean you've got to be an asshole and tell us this situation is irrelevant." <-- you

Somehow I think you're the one being an asshole by getting all high and mighty on what seemed to be a mild post.  So you're passionate about games. Fine. Just because you are doesn't mean you have the right to call names on people who aren't as "passionate" as you.

And frankly:

Maybe we should change the capitalist system because there's too many uninformed people out there who don't care enough about what's wrong...

Is not merely passionate, its arrogant. It is arrogant because you assume you know better than many people about a game that many will like as-is. And because you know better you will force your enlightened knowledge of what a good game is down their throats.

No thank you. I prefer my capitalist system the way it is. With my wallet and my brain deciding what games to choose. Not some passionate arrogant person who is quick to take offense at a mild post.

jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2004, 06:54:06 PM »

Well sorry for being rude.

Facts are facts:

Papyrus made a better game Nascar game, but had less money.  EA has more money.  So we get a crappier product because EA is wealthy.

Sega/ESPN made a better football game than EA.  EA has more money, so we will be stuck with a crappier football game.

Sega/ESPN makes a HUGELY superior game of hockety to EA.  EA is trying to buy that license as we speak.  if they do, we will be stuck with a horrendous veriosn of hockey because once again EA has more money.

See this is a case of talented people losing their jobs, and us discerning gamers losing a better product.  This is anti-competitive tactics and is supposed to be illegal.

So, the more talented/better  programmers lose their jobs, and you think that's fair?  That "that's the American way?"  Well I don't agree.

I'm sorry about calling you an a-hole, but I get tired of people saying, "Who cares?"  "It doesn't matter!" "Get a Life!"  :wink:

I just see this as having very negative consequences down the road for us gamers, and it disturbs me people can't see that trend.  It goes beyond sports gaming...

When you have better development studios, making a BETTER game, and MAKING money - and they get forced OUT of the industry - there's something wrong.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2004, 07:18:06 PM »

Well sorry for being rude.

Facts are facts:

See this is a case of talented people losing their jobs, and us discerning gamers losing a better product.  This is anti-competitive tactics and is supposed to be illegal.

So, the more talented/better  programmers lose their jobs, and you think that's fair?  That "that's the American way?"  Well I don't agree.

A couple thoughts.

1. There is nothing illegal about this.  They are not creating a monopoly on football games - they are purchasing the rights to use trademarked names!  Very, very different.  The NFL and the players accociation have the right to decide who gets to use their name.

2. "So, the more talented/better  programmers lose their jobs, and you think that's fair?  That "that's the American way?"  Well I don't agree."  The programmers may have been more talented but obviously the marketing people, finance people, etc. must be smarter at EA.  They got to be huge through good business practices.  

If I have the best janitor in the world - the tops, Mr. Clean himself.  That doesn't mean the company as a whole should never be allowed to go under.

Just because programers are good doesn't mean a company can't fail.  A company is more than just one department.  Yeah it sucks for the talented programers, etc. but that is what being part of a company is all about.

jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2004, 07:23:14 PM »

Excellent points Farley, but this is a trend that EA is forcing upon the business.  This is bad for us gamers, and it's bad for anyone that want sot break into sports gaming.

What I hate seeing is you have a great group of developers (I don't even have their game, and know none of them), who were making some great innovatuions and were making good money doing it.  They were EVERY successful.  And they have been forced out...
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2004, 07:37:49 PM »

Excellent points Farley, but this is a trend that EA is forcing upon the business.  This is bad for us gamers, and it's bad for anyone that want sot break into sports gaming.

What I hate seeing is you have a great group of developers (I don't even have their game, and know none of them), who were making some great innovatuions and were making good money doing it.  They were EVERY successful.  And they have been forced out...

It probably is bad for gamers as a whole but we don't really worry about that in capitalism.  The theory is that the market will sort out what is best for everyone.

What I hope will happen is that the good developers/programers will make football games without the NFL player names and those better programs will sell really well.  That will show the NFLPA that they should go with the good games to make more money.

Unfortuntatley that probably won't happen becuase, as has been pointed out, consumers are not bright sometimes.

jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2004, 07:45:23 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"

What I hope will happen is that the good developers/programers will make football games without the NFL player names and those better programs will sell really well.  That will show the NFLPA that they should go with the good games to make more money.

Unfortuntatley that probably won't happen becuase, as has been pointed out, consumers are not bright sometimes.

Oh man, I SOOOOOOOOO wish that would happen... but your right, the penny pinchers will probably say its too much risk without NFL teams.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2004, 07:57:33 PM »

It's times like these that I'm glad I hate all sports games and never play or buy them. smile EA has never, and will never, receive dime one from me on any of their sports games.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2004, 08:01:26 PM »

I wished I hated sports gaming, but I really love football.
Temjin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2004, 08:28:06 PM »

I hope Sega decides to pursue "fantasy" football games in the vein of Mutant League Football and Blood Bowl.  I have never bought Madden or ESPN, but I would consider the above mentioned options.

Now Playing
Wii:  Zelda: TP
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2004, 08:33:41 PM »

I didnt like Chaos League, but I liked the original Blood Bowl too.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2004, 09:04:52 PM »

Facts are facts:

Papyrus made a better game Nascar game, but had less money.  EA has more money.  So we get a crappier product because EA is wealthy.

Sega/ESPN made a better football game than EA.  EA has more money, so we will be stuck with a crappier football game.

Sega/ESPN makes a HUGELY superior game of hockety to EA.  EA is trying to buy that license as we speak.  if they do, we will be stuck with a horrendous veriosn of hockey because once again EA has more money.

I'm sorry about calling you an a-hole, but I get tired of people saying, "Who cares?"  "It doesn't matter!" "Get a Life!"  :wink:

I just see this as having very negative consequences down the road for us gamers, and it disturbs me people can't see that trend.  It goes beyond sports gaming...

When you have better development studios, making a BETTER game, and MAKING money - and they get forced OUT of the industry - there's something wrong.

Most of your "facts" above are opinions.  Some I agree with, some I don't, but they're still just "opinions".  Facts are things like these:

EA sells more than Sega.

EA makes more than Sega.

EA could afford to do this, while Sega couldn't.

It's a case of one, well managed and well marketed company utterly destroying a less well managed and a piss poor marketed company.  The very competition you are crying about has happened here, and one company has won.  It's just not the company you wanted, nor has that company won in the manner you wanted.  But it still won.  It was, without a shadow of a doubt, the better overall company.  That is fact.

gellar
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2004, 09:17:16 PM »

Well I guess its too bad gaming is all about marketing, and not at all about the actual fricking game huh?

Geez, and to think, I purchased games based on cumulative review scores, and not the marketing.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2004, 10:31:35 PM »

What I hate seeing is you have a great group of developers (I don't even have their game, and know none of them), who were making some great innovatuions and were making good money doing it. They were EVERY successful. And they have been forced out...

Were they making money?  Serious question.  I raised this in a different thread- at the $20 pricepoint I'm not sure they would have showed a profit with what they've sold this year.  When the game was priced at $49.99 they never cleared 1 million sales to my knowledge.  Given that the NFL license supposedly cost close to $10 million per year plus the money it cost to license the ESPN name I'm not sure if they were even profitable at the $49.99.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2004, 10:35:05 PM »

Well I guess its too bad gaming is all about marketing, and not at all about the actual fricking game huh?

Geez, and to think, I purchased games based on cumulative review scores, and not the marketing.

You do?

Cumulative Review Scores for ESPN for PS2 (most common gaming system:  89%

Cumulative Review Scores for Madden on PS2: 90%

You buy games based on what YOU like about the game, same as the rest of us.  Scores be damned, you buy the game because you like it, or because people tell you you should like it (marketing).  Marketing is why great games (IL2, for example) get the shaft, and why mediocre/good games (Sims 2, Doom 3, nearly every Star Wars game ever made) sell like hotcakes.  Sure sometimes we get a nice combination of both (Blizzard, Half Life 2), but let's be real here.  This isn't "Shiney Happy World (tm)" where everything is right and all is just.  Things happen because they can.  Why does Company X charge X amount for shitty product X?  Because you will buy it and because they can.  That's capitalism.  If you don't like it, don't buy it.  Call the rest of us who do morons if it makes you feel better, but it's not changing anything.

Finally, as a guy who actually LIKES Madden football, I get the shaft on this just as much as you do.  Madden 2005 was the first time in years that Madden actually improved a good deal of their game, and I gotta believe that was due to the inferior (IMHO) ESPN offerings.  Hopefully they'll continue to do the same, but they certainly have less motivation to do so now.

gellar
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2004, 10:41:22 PM »

gellar I have Madden too, but I still have a frame of reference I'm goign by and that's Sierra's Front Page Sports Football.  Now bugs aside and the last one they had to recall, that game had the best simming engine around.  I just don't understand why a game 10 years old could simulate stats better than Madden?  Or maybe, why the developer's don't care enough to have realistic simming.  They go the extra mile to put in features no one asked for (create-a-fan, player cards), yet neglect the most basic fundamental of football.  Errr like Earth-bound physics...  Or a running game that isn't utterly broken.  They improved the defense this year by making the defensive players cheat.  I mean, it's like put your resources where it counts...  make the game itself great, then once you have that down, then add all the extra fluff.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2004, 10:50:13 PM »

gellar I have Madden too, but I still have a frame of reference I'm goign by and that's Sierra's Front Page Sports Football.  Now bugs aside and the last one they had to recall, that game had the best simming engine around.  I just don't understand why a game 10 years old could simulate stats better than Madden?  Or maybe, why the developer's don't care enough to have realistic simming.  They go the extra mile to put in features no one asked for (create-a-fan, player cards), yet neglect the most basic fundamental of football.  Errr like Earth-bound physics...  Or a running game that isn't utterly broken.  They improved the defense this year by making the defensive players cheat.  I mean, it's like put your resources where it counts...  make the game itself great, then once you have that down, then add all the extra fluff.

If your reference point is FPF, you'd absolutely HATE any extended period of time with ESPN.  ESPN's franchise mode is horribly borked.  I could go further on it, but suffice it to say... ESPN is a fairly good "single game" simulator, but not a whole lot further.  That's the main reason I went with Madden this year.  They spent time to hone in on a great franchise engine, but with only a "good" on the field engine, and absolutely shitty graphics model.

Also, Madden's running game isn't broken, you're just not good at it.  I'm better at running in Madden than I am in ESPN smile.

gellar
scubabbl
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2004, 10:56:09 PM »

Well, lets just hope we don't lose the sports games from these other companies. Sure, we can't have an NFL game, but that doesn't stop people from making a football game. Maybe now they can spend their money and time on making a better game, and less time on ensuring players look like their real life counterparts. Without the NFL logo and team colors, it's still a football game. Same goes for all these other sports.

EA bought the exclusive rights to the trademark, not the sport. Papy can still make FASTCAR racing instead of NASCAR.

Oh, and fuck you EA.
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2004, 11:10:41 PM »

Hehehe!  Also, Madden's running game isn't broken, you're just not good at it. I'm better at running in Madden than I am in ESPN .

I'm great at the running game!  it's the computer that's awful.  I ramped up sliders for them, and they still only gain an average of 15 yards per GAME.  Ugghhh.  Always first in run defense, and last in pass defense.  Every version of Madden...
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2004, 02:24:44 AM »

Yeah, Papyrus could make a FASTCAR game, and VC could keep putting out an MFL game with different team and player names.  

However, given the choice between a Rolex, and a Molex, which one would you spend your money on?  The Rolex could have ants living inside it, while the Molex was a platinum and diamond encrusted masterpiece, but I guarantee you the Rolex would sell more.  The mass market buys the name, not the game.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: