http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 08:42:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: E3 question from a console newb.  (Read 747 times)
Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: May 18, 2005, 10:47:38 PM »

Everything I've heard seems to put the PS3 so far ahead of the XB2 that's it's not even a close race.

What am I missing. I know games will play a large part in which console comes out on top, but is there anything else that needs to be factored in?

Because right now PS3 looks like the hands down winner.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 11:05:26 PM »

Nah, its not that far ahead.  The PS3 is probably a bit more powerful than 360 but both are so powerful it really won't matter for quite a while.

EDIT- Other factors:

MS had a poor showing.  The MTV unveiling was disappointing and they didn't have anything new to add on Monday night.  From a "wow" standpoint they would probably have been better holding everything for the E3 conference.  Add on to the fact that they seem to be afraid to show their premiere launch game, Perfect Dark Zero, in public.  

They've also really pushed a community angle that seems a bit at odds with the hardcore gaming market that is so crucial in the early adoption phase of a consoles life.  They would have been better off focusing on the communal aspects after the 360 had been out for a year (I mean Velocity Girl?  WTF was that).  A lot of people came out of the E3 press conference feeling like they were sending mixed signals.  

MS is substantially upgrading Live while Sony has yet to unveil their online infrastructure.  Its pretty safe to say that MS and Live will remain the premiere multiplayer platform for a long time to come.  

Basically, it looks like both consoles are going to carry their existing focuses into the next generation with the only difference being Sony will likely have the hardware edge this time.  I don't think anyone who enjoys their current offerings will be disappointed with what both have in store next-gen.
Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 11:19:15 PM »

Yeah, G4TV had a roundtable discussion, and they seemed pretty stunned that MS would stumble this badly.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 11:55:14 PM »

They seemed to think Nintendo had the worst showing with MS next. I saw parts of it all and I dont know why MS went with the stuff they did.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2005, 07:38:54 AM »

I don't understand why people are getting so worked up about PS3.  It's a YEAR away or more.  The features look nice, but the PSX looked nice at it's unveiling and it shipped with half of what was promised.  Wouldn't suprise me if that same thing happens with PS3.  

That said, if I were MS I'd announce the X360 at $300 this fall.   They need to be more aggressive now and everyone believes Sony really wants to go closer to $500 on the PS3.  MS should also pay off Rockstar to ensure they do simultaneous X360 and PS3 launches on the next GTA.  Even if these moves are money losers to MS, they would hurt Sony more.

If MS isn't aggressively going after Sony's market share then the whole early launch was a mistake.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2005, 08:20:54 AM »

My console is bigger than your console...  Tongue

It's all about the games for me.  Although money is factored in, if there are enough good games for each system I'll get all three, it'll take some time but there's no rush.  This current lineup of consoles should be around for a while considering how much of a loss they'll take on each system sold.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: