http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 08:43:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: E3 killed my 360  (Read 1221 times)
Zinfan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 11, 2006, 11:16:17 PM »

Well leaving it on while trying to download the Lost Plant demo did I guess.  

I left the 360 on overnight since the demo was D/L'ing so slow and when I turned on the tv in the morning the 360 was locked up and the screen was scrambled.  I reset the console and it wouldn't boot up at all so I left it off for several hours to allow it some cool down time.   When I turn it on I get it to run ok in the menu sections of Live and also the menus' of any games but about 15 seconds after the game starts the whole unit locks up solid and some checkerboard pattern is visible behind the graphics on screen.  Once I reboot the unit it won't load at all unless it sits for sometime.  I guess it's time to put that warrentey to work.

If you  have sent a unit in do you leave the HD on?  I'd hate to lose all my data (I don't have a memory card).
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 11:20:50 PM »

They haven't wanted the HD either of the times I've had to send mine back.  The problem you're having sounds exactly like the one my second 360 had...

Should take about 2 1/2 weeks or so total from when you call them to get it back.  (or a replacement)

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 11:43:25 PM »

Definitely don't send in the HD unless they ask for it, as it will get wiped. Thankfully, Microsoft stores on their servers everything you've purchased on Live (your Arcade games for example), so you can easily (and for free) redownload everything, but you will be without your saves.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 12:47:36 AM »

Update;

I orginally bought the console from GameCrazy and purchased their service contract for 1 year at $50 (IIRC) so I called them up and was asked to bring the system in.  I brought everything but the controller and the media remote (nothing wrong with those so I didn't think they would want them) only to be sent back to get them also.  They did a system swap, giving me a brand new 360 in exchange for my old one so that's a plus but they took my remote and  I don't get another because the new units don't include one.  I tried getting the store manager to give me the old remote that wasn't useful to anyone but me (what are they going to do with it?) but it was a no go and I got the same answer in regards to swapping the HD for my old one.  Sheesh I've purchased 5+ 360 games there and they can't do something simple like allowing me to keep the damn remote?  Anyways I can survive without it just fine but the whole procedure left me ticked off since it made no sense.  Then to top it off they wanted me to buy another service contract as apprently the year's service only counts toward the orginal unit and once that was exchanged I would have to spend another $50 for more coverage.  I passed and hope I'll be able to get  the MS coverage on the new unit.

I guess I'll call the store back up and see if I can get my saved games onto a memory card so I can recover them if the old console will work long enough for that.
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 01:13:45 AM »

Fight for your remote.

They stole, dont let them get away with that. I had that happen with a printer I once took in, they wouldnt let me exchange it until I let them have my ink's, and thats like a 100 dollar vaule. I finally got them replaced.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006, 02:30:38 AM »

Quote from: "Zinfan"
Update;

I orginally bought the console from GameCrazy and purchased their service contract for 1 year at $50 (IIRC) so I called them up and was asked to bring the system in.  I brought everything but the controller and the media remote (nothing wrong with those so I didn't think they would want them) only to be sent back to get them also.  They did a system swap, giving me a brand new 360 in exchange for my old one so that's a plus but they took my remote and  I don't get another because the new units don't include one.  I tried getting the store manager to give me the old remote that wasn't useful to anyone but me (what are they going to do with it?) but it was a no go and I got the same answer in regards to swapping the HD for my old one.  Sheesh I've purchased 5+ 360 games there and they can't do something simple like allowing me to keep the damn remote?  Anyways I can survive without it just fine but the whole procedure left me ticked off since it made no sense.  Then to top it off they wanted me to buy another service contract as apprently the year's service only counts toward the orginal unit and once that was exchanged I would have to spend another $50 for more coverage.  I passed and hope I'll be able to get  the MS coverage on the new unit.

I guess I'll call the store back up and see if I can get my saved games onto a memory card so I can recover them if the old console will work long enough for that.

wasn't the media remote a separate purchase? Or did it come packed in? If it came packed in they need to give you that back, if not, and it was a separate purchase you shouldn't have had to turn that back in. As it stands it sounds like they snagged a media remote from you that you paid for.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006, 02:35:49 AM »

Quote from: "Tebunker"
wasn't the media remote a separate purchase? Or did it come packed in? If it came packed in they need to give you that back, if not, and it was a separate purchase you shouldn't have had to turn that back in. As it stands it sounds like they snagged a media remote from you that you paid for.

I'm guessing it was the 'exclusive' remove that came with the first run of console sales.

The fact that they made you trade back in your HD is just scummy. And forcing you to repay the $50 to get another warrenty.

In your case, mailing it to Microsoft was the far better option, IMHO.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2006, 02:45:40 AM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
Quote from: "Tebunker"

I'm guessing it was the 'exclusive' remove that came with the first run of console sales.

The fact that they made you trade back in your HD is just scummy. And forcing you to repay the $50 to get another warrenty.

In your case, mailing it to Microsoft was the far better option, IMHO.

Right it was the included launch day remote not the one you could buy extra.  I still have no idea why they insisted on the hard drive and remote but I couldn't talk them out of it and I didn't see any way to change their mind.  I called them back about the possiblity of downloading my saves onto a memory card and they were all for that (assuming the unit would run long enough) but I would need a $35 card and right now I'm not in the mood to give that store any more of my money.  I'm hoping that I can register the new unit with MS for service as I think sending it in sans HD and having to wait 2 weeks is still better than what service I got from Game Crazy
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2006, 02:58:50 AM »

I sent an E-mail to the address on the Game Crazy website expalining my side and how I'm not happy to be out a remote so we shall see if anything comes of it.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2006, 07:38:12 AM »

Quote from: "Zinfan"
I sent an E-mail to the address on the Game Crazy website expalining my side and how I'm not happy to be out a remote so we shall see if anything comes of it.

Call and ask for the district manager.  Explain the situation - they should not have cared about the remote or the HDD.  What they should have done is opened the new one and swapped the decks with you, keeping the new HDD and letting you keep yours.  All MS cares about is that they send back a box with all the parts.

As for the extended warranty, that's pretty much how it works everywhere - it's a one use only deal.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2006, 10:16:22 AM »

Trust me, make a fuss, but don't be mean about it.  Just make sure the higher ups know about what that store is trying to pull.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2006, 11:29:09 AM »

Quote from: "Sarkus"
Call and ask for the district manager.  Explain the situation - they should not have cared about the remote or the HDD.  What they should have done is opened the new one and swapped the decks with you, keeping the new HDD and letting you keep yours.  All MS cares about is that they send back a box with all the parts.

As for the extended warranty, that's pretty much how it works everywhere - it's a one use only deal.

I agree completely with what Sarkus said above.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2006, 04:10:40 PM »

EB Games swapped the console for me, and only gave me what I needed, and I kept the rest if my original stuff.

If they can't get you that remote back, the store should be offering you the full remote as compensation.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2006, 05:17:43 PM »

Thanks for the info guys, I got a reply from HQ and they have passed my concerns onto the district manager.  I made sure in my email to state that the employees were not at fault and they were helpful to me in getting the whole system swapped.  I really don't want them to get into hot water over this, I'm not looking for anything more then getting my remote back.  Interesting comments Sarkus about the warranty, I had no idea that was the model they used.  I remember being a bit pissed the day I bought it as they were pushing the 1 year plan and making no mention of the 2 year deal that was in the box itself.  When I had to use this one and lost my remote and HD info I guess it ticked me off enough to go higher up the chain.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2006, 06:00:48 PM »

Every warranty I've ever seen from anybody (Gamestop/BB/Circuit City etc.) has always been tied to the serial number you bought. It gets you a replacement, then you can purchase a new warranty for that if you choose. A lot of the time this is a waste, but on certan items it can be a godsend. For instance, I got one on my PDA and got a replacement when I dropped it.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: