http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 08:20:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: E3 2009 is upon us  (Read 23412 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 02, 2009, 03:04:40 PM »

Quote from: jblank on June 02, 2009, 02:57:40 PM

Quote from: Gratch on June 02, 2009, 02:53:00 PM

Quote from: jblank on June 02, 2009, 02:45:25 PM

Quote from: Gratch on June 02, 2009, 01:42:48 PM

Most folks seems to be going nuts about the MS announcements, but there's really nothing there that piqued my interest.  Glad to see FF XIII will be here in Spring, but that was about it.  More Halo?  Meh.  Crackdown?  Meh.  Forza?  Meh.  Facebook on 360?  Double meh.  New outfits for avatars?  Not a big enough meh in the world.

Glad some people are excited, but it did squat for me.

Forza and Halo = Meh?  icon_eek Those are huge releases for me.

Realistic driving sims and yet another space marine FPS = booooooooooring

WOW! Couldn't disagree more. Beats the hell out of another Japanese RPG.

Suppose that's where we differ then...I'd love a good JRPG right about now.   (Emphasis on good, which is something most of the JRPG offerings for the 360 have not been.)

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 02, 2009, 03:05:17 PM »

~about 55 minutes to go till the nintendo press conference.  Tune in to the Twitter account for a live feed =)

raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 02, 2009, 03:05:36 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on June 02, 2009, 02:38:23 PM

So, all in all, I see possiblities in this, and not limitations, and I'm pretty pleased with it. Whats the worst that can happen? It doesnt work? oh well, then there's another project just around the corner to be excited about :-)

I'm with you on seeing the positive side and the potential of these new technologies albeit on a more cautious "wait and see" tone. On the flip side I also just let the negativity fall by the wayside, especially when it comes to faceless nameless strangers I've never met. Its not my job to convince Gratch to get excited about the coming games nor does it personally affect me if he's not excited. Never met the guy, probably never will. That doesn't mean I won't still have fun playing the games I play.

Save your empathy for people in your real life smile

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 02, 2009, 03:08:27 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on June 02, 2009, 02:03:54 PM

I wonder what happens, if you take two xboxes, two of the new cameras, two tv's and face them off towards eachother, with that boy Milo?

that's how Skynet will be formed....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 02, 2009, 03:09:29 PM »

Teamxbox are saying that APB IS being developed for the 360 also

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/19833/All-Points-Bulletin-Coming-to-PC-and-Xbox-360/

innnnteeerreeesting!!

EDIT:is anyone else pumped for The Saboteur?....i thought it looked great

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: June 02, 2009, 03:12:13 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 02, 2009, 03:09:29 PM

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/19833/All-Points-Bulletin-Coming-to-PC-and-Xbox-360/

innnnteeerreeesting!!

I thought that was common knowledge.  it's the company that did Crackdowns next 360 game while another company made of ex-Crackdown people do Crackdown 2.

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 02, 2009, 03:12:43 PM »

I'm just dubious about MS's ability to actually market it.  There track record with anything casual is poor to put it mildly.  Every E3 they trot out the latest property to appeal to casual and/or family audiences (remember Lips, See You at the Movies, Buzz, Velocity Girl, etc) and it never sticks to their core audience.  Clearly Natal is getting more resources but it still feels premature. I think if they had EA up there showing it working with the latest Madden or Molyneux showing it integrated into Fable 3 instead of a friend simulator then it would do a better job at striking at their core audience.  

Frankly, I'm surprised they didn't just wait until the next console launch.  On the positive side, this is probably a strong indication that next generation is a long way off.  
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 02, 2009, 03:14:47 PM »

innnnteeerreeesting!!

My interest will be higher if the old arcade game is playable inside it.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 02, 2009, 03:15:19 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on June 02, 2009, 02:01:12 PM

This is why I said that Microsoft 'won' - all the games looked amazing, they covered all the genres, and they made me feel like the gamer of old. Even things like Project Natal, which while little more than a pair of cameras, has so many possibilities - inventing new genres like Mylo, for example. Where are the new genres of games that the Wiimote was supposed to bring around?

hideo kojima! - see what you've done! smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 02, 2009, 03:17:17 PM »

Quote from: disarm on June 02, 2009, 01:43:00 AM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 01, 2009, 07:27:15 PM

But that streaming HD stuff...if they can pull that off smoothly, that's a death knell for Blu-Ray.  I've been saying Blu-Ray wouldn't get a foothold due to downloadable media being on the horizon, but I figured that horizon was a couple of years off, not this fall.

totally disagree...1080p video is nice if you actually have a fast and reliable enough internet connection for it to play smoothly, but that's something that i'm betting relatively few people are lucky enough to have right now...and it's still only video.  the image quality of 1080p is nice, but i would glady sacrifice a bit on resolution if they would actually provide surround audio for streaming movies.  until i can get both 1080p video and 7.1 surround audio streamed directly to my living room, i'll still be using Bluray for my high-end home movie experience.  just pushing that kind of video is a big enough deal right now thanks to the bandwidth required.  there's no way we're going to see combined audio and video quality approaching anything close to Bluray in the near future.

Agreed. Streaming HD has is of no use to me now that my ISP has cracked down with bandwidth caps. I'm allowed 60GB of transfer per month, otherwise I have to pay an overage fee per GB. Practically every ISP in the area has adopted a cap of some sort. So if I'm streaming 3-5GB movies I'm going to hit that pretty quickly.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 02, 2009, 03:19:39 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 02, 2009, 03:12:13 PM

innnnteeerreeesting!!

I thought that was common knowledge.  it's the company that did Crackdowns next 360 game while another company made of ex-Crackdown people do Crackdown 2.

oh i thought it was one of those Iffy titles that wasn't known,like The Old Republic etc,i knew it was Realtime worlds

an yeah it would be great if you could play the original game inside of that game,LOL

as for streaming movies,i would be happy enough with HD instant streaming movies...but it doesnt have to be full 1080p(for me i mean)..i mean damn,in some cases i would be happy with instant streaming SD movies!!

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 02, 2009, 03:24:08 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on June 02, 2009, 02:28:05 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 02, 2009, 02:20:21 PM

Molyneaux has been stressing over and over again that it will be a game, not a simulator.

But what's the game?  Seems like arguing over whether Sims or Nintendogs are simulators or games. 

I can see why it would appeal to Molyneux- I'm sure he's dreaming of a role playing game where instead of selecting a text response that indicates your mood or intentions, you interact naturally with the characters and they get their queues based on what you see, vocal inflections, and body language.  But, practically, it just seems like it ends up being like the old text interface adventure games where it doesn't understand your response, misreads a queue,etc. 

Based on my experience, I agree that there will probably be a lot of stuff like those old text games not recognizing your input.  But that's based on my experience, this could become something beyond my experience, I don't know.  A lot will depend on how they program for that lack of recognition.  If the variety of response is big enough, it could certainly still seem natural.  I talk to people all the time who don't understand what I'm saying but don't let on.

As for what the game is, I don't know.  No one does yet.  This is a tech demo.  You can't write it off saying there won't be a game, when Peter keeps saying there will be one.  He's proven in the past that, though his desire is to create real characters, he understand what a game needs to be a game.

I agree with razgon that there is nothing but potential here. Sure, it could be an epic FAIL, and, sure, MS has not shown great skill in nurturing the casual add-ons, but none of those have had the push that seems to be behind this.  And it's still more than a year off, I'll bet. I think it's okay to be cautiously excited.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 02, 2009, 03:26:23 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on June 02, 2009, 03:14:47 PM

innnnteeerreeesting!!

Now, this is one title that I'm a little disappointed about after seeing the trailer. I was hoping they'd go with a more campy "cop game" in the same vein as the original APB. From the trailer it seems more "GTA-ish" with perhaps more emphasis on being able to play the criminal side of things. Either that or it seems like the game will play out like "The Departed" where you're an undercover cop that could go too deep and therefore become a bad criminal.

I just want my rookie Officer Bob back I guess smile

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: June 02, 2009, 03:31:00 PM »

Quote from: raydude on June 02, 2009, 03:26:23 PM

innnnteeerreeesting!!

Now, this is one title that I'm a little disappointed about after seeing the trailer. I was hoping they'd go with a more campy "cop game" in the same vein as the original APB. From the trailer it seems more "GTA-ish" with perhaps more emphasis on being able to play the criminal side of things. Either that or it seems like the game will play out like "The Departed" where you're an undercover cop that could go too deep and therefore become a bad criminal.

On the other hand, the trailer of this one caught my interest.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 02, 2009, 03:34:04 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 02, 2009, 03:24:08 PM

As for what the game is, I don't know.  No one does yet.  This is a tech demo.  You can't write it off saying there won't be a game, when Peter keeps saying there will be one.  He's proven in the past that, though his desire is to create real characters, he understand what a game needs to be a game.

Actually that's exactly why I would write it off- because it's Molyneux.  His games always start this way.  Given his history it will eventually be paired down to a hollow shell that uses the concept in a superficial way and has little resemblance to what was shown today.  Then he will make a sequel that maybe starts to do justice to the concept.

So I expect rave reviews for Milo 2 in approximately 2019 Tongue

But my broader point is that I'm sure that the creators of Animal Crossing, Sims, Nintendogs, even Wii Fit etc would also argue that those are true "games" as well so I see no reason not to label Milo as an evolution of that concept.  
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 02, 2009, 03:34:54 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on June 02, 2009, 03:31:00 PM

Quote from: raydude on June 02, 2009, 03:26:23 PM

innnnteeerreeesting!!

On the other hand, the trailer of this one caught my interest.

But its just another GTA-clone. Meh.  icon_wink

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: June 02, 2009, 03:55:45 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on June 02, 2009, 02:38:23 PM

Okay, I dont get all the negativity around here - It seems like everything new is evil and useless and wont work, and is a personal affront even

There's got to a lot of new possibilities to this kind of technology, and why assume that it wont work? Sure, like any other new tech there'll be kinks to be worked out, but hey, theres a TON of possiblities, not just in gaming that this can be applied to.

Thank you for posting this. These are my feelings exactly. The Wiimote's new tech brought us a new way of playing FPSs (far superior to dual analog too, IMHO), and brought the light-gun genre from the dead. It also brought a lot of brain-dead waggle.

Who knows what Project Natal can do for gaming in the future.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 02, 2009, 03:56:47 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on June 02, 2009, 12:15:51 PM

I'm really interested in Natal, but that's only if they get it right... The video that is available on the marketplace makes it seem like something ripped from a Star Trek movie, so I'm not going to hold my breath.

Still, one of my favorite arcade games used motion sensing technology, and this was over five years ago! It was a lot of fun actually hiding behind cars, peeking out to fire a couple shots, and then ducking again to avoid getting shot. With the right software, this could be a really big deal. I'm glad they are doing it as an add-on though (or at least appears that way). I don't think I would want a console specifically using this thing as the controller. Part of the problem with actually doing all the motions, is that video games are supposed to allow you to do stuff that you can't physically do. It's great that the kid in the video can scan his skateboard, do the motions and on screen it looks like he's really doing it...but if you don't know how to do it already what's the point?

In that video of them using natal with a racing game, I wonder how you stop and go.  Or is just mainly for arcade type of games, where certain functions are assisted...
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 02, 2009, 04:00:29 PM »

Quote from: naednek on June 02, 2009, 03:56:47 PM

In that video of them using natal with a racing game, I wonder how you stop and go.  Or is just mainly for arcade type of games, where certain functions are assisted...

you're supposed to use the brakes in a racing game?  Tongue  maybe it picks up the position of your feet, right foot for the gas and left for break.  it was cool to see them using a new version of Pitstop for the demo, expecially the tire changing segment- did they say anything about a new version on XBLA?

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 02, 2009, 04:10:51 PM »

the Twitter feed just updated... new Super Mario on the Wii!

Because I can,
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: June 02, 2009, 04:20:26 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on June 02, 2009, 12:15:51 PM

I'm really interested in Natal, but that's only if they get it right... The video that is available on the marketplace makes it seem like something ripped from a Star Trek movie, so I'm not going to hold my breath.

Still, one of my favorite arcade games used motion sensing technology, and this was over five years ago! It was a lot of fun actually hiding behind cars, peeking out to fire a couple shots, and then ducking again to avoid getting shot. With the right software, this could be a really big deal. I'm glad they are doing it as an add-on though (or at least appears that way). I don't think I would want a console specifically using this thing as the controller. Part of the problem with actually doing all the motions, is that video games are supposed to allow you to do stuff that you can't physically do. It's great that the kid in the video can scan his skateboard, do the motions and on screen it looks like he's really doing it...but if you don't know how to do it already what's the point?

I thought the same thing, but then again, wasn't she "shifting"? If it can pick up on somewhat subtle movements like that, maybe it can pick up on how your feet move too. Or maybe you push your hands out a little bit to accelerate and pull them towards you to use the brakes.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: June 02, 2009, 04:22:00 PM »

Wow - the total and utter lack of applause for Nintendo's stuff so far is outright funny.

And Super Mario on the Wii is best described as Super Mario DS but with 4 players playing at once.

And about Natal - I read that it was looking at your feet position for gas and brake. Foot forward = gas. Foot back = brake. And yes, she moved her hand away from the steering wheel and 'shifted' as well. Another site said she was playing Burnout 1.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 02, 2009, 04:23:44 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 02, 2009, 04:00:29 PM

you're supposed to use the brakes in a racing game?  Tongue  maybe it picks up the position of your feet, right foot for the gas and left for break.  it was cool to see them using a new version of Pitstop for the demo, expecially the tire changing segment- did they say anything about a new version on XBLA?

There is a writeup from Time that describes the controls for Burnout using Natal.  Yes, it picks up your feet.  Move your foot forward to accelerate or move it back to brake.  Of course if you have a coffee table in front of you...
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 02, 2009, 04:27:35 PM »

Posted via Kotaku, Forza 3 running on three consoles and three screens. And note, it's an in-car dashboard view, something missing in Forza 2. Very cool.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: June 02, 2009, 04:43:00 PM »

This has just been pitiful so far. The RPGs look decent (FF:CB, KH, and a new Golden Sun), but the rest...what a waste of time.

And FYI - none of the DS games shown so far support the DSi features.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 04:45:02 PM by Destructor » Logged

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 02, 2009, 04:47:22 PM »

Any word if Golden Sun is from Camelot? 
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 02, 2009, 04:53:53 PM »

While designing stuff for DKvMario and Warioware is a cool idea, it looks way more complicated than I see myself ever getting into.

So far, MS has kicked Wii's ass.  There are things I'm looking forward to (Wii Fit Plus, that FF game, Golden Sun, Mario Bros), but so far, the meeting seems to be geared toward investors, not gamers.

Especially with lines like: "It's possible to create product..."
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 05:01:26 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: June 02, 2009, 04:56:27 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on June 02, 2009, 04:47:22 PM

Not mentioned at all.

And as far as 'player created content' goes - Nintendo is acting as if this is a new thing, not something that people have been doing for YEARS.

And is there an audience at the Nintendo's confrence? Nearly ALL of the 'pause for applause' moments have been TOTALLY silent. I mean, hell - they said that the new Zelda game on the DS (Spirit Tracks) would be playable on the show floor, and they got NOTHING.

A dog taking a poo could beat Nintendo this year. Just like last year.

EDIT: The Wii Vitality Sensor? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?!? Good fucking lord Nintendo has totally lost it.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 04:59:44 PM by Destructor » Logged

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 02, 2009, 05:00:10 PM »

A heart rate monitor??!?  Are you kidding me??

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 02, 2009, 05:00:38 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on June 02, 2009, 04:56:27 PM

EDIT: The Wii Vitality Sensor? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?!? Good fucking lord Nintendo has totally lost it.

so if you flatline while playing Wii Fit it'll call the paramedics for you?

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 02, 2009, 05:02:42 PM »

Ooh, Super Mario Galaxy sequel!
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 02, 2009, 05:02:53 PM »

If Galaxy 2 is more than just a cash-in, that's pretty cool.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 02, 2009, 05:03:30 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on June 02, 2009, 04:47:22 PM

from wired who's blogging directly

9:37: Available this fall. Oh, and one more thing: A legendary RPG franchise is coming back. It’s Golden Sun DS. “YES,” says somebody next to me. New 3-D graphics, looks pretty good. Exit Reggie, enter Cammie to talk about DS.

A new one
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: June 02, 2009, 05:04:31 PM »

"I'll be honest - I read the blogs too"

Sure, Reggie.  Whatever you say.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 02, 2009, 05:07:55 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on June 02, 2009, 06:18:12 AM

Quote from: Ridah on June 02, 2009, 06:15:09 AM

Quote from: leo8877 on June 02, 2009, 03:13:15 AM

Holy shit @ the Old Republic trailer......it's fucking amazing!

Bah... No in-game footage!

I'm...flabbergasted...why the negative response, instead of rejoicing over what's obviosly a labor of love?? There'll be plenty of ingame footage soon, I'm sure, so why not enjoy this instead instead of berating other peoples enjoyment?

For me the negativity is that I have no idea what kind of game it is!  That trailer tells me nothing.  Is it a brawler like God of War?  The huge battle could mean that.  Is it an RPG?  Is it single player?  It is a MMO? Can I be good or bad?  The trailer offers nothing to people except pretty images. 

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: June 02, 2009, 05:08:10 PM »

What are you guys using to watch this (other than your butts, for those in LA)?  I was doing Gamespot, but the sound was way too low.  

Now I'm on 1up, but the quality is crap.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: June 02, 2009, 05:09:26 PM »

Yeah, no shit as far as what Reggie said.

And while Golden Sun looked good, it got absolutely nothing from the audience. I'd buy it at least.

The audience is sad. Conduit - no applause. New Resident Evil rail shooter - no applause. Dead Space Extraction - something at least.

Bullwinkle, use GameTrailers - nice and loud.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 02, 2009, 05:10:20 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 02, 2009, 05:08:10 PM

What are you guys using to watch this (other than your butts, for those in LA)?  I was doing Gamespot, but the sound was way too low.  

Now I'm on 1up, but the quality is crap.

I'm using F5 on the forums  Tongue

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 02, 2009, 05:10:51 PM »

Team Ninja Metroid game?  That's a legitimate surprise. 
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 02, 2009, 05:11:53 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on June 02, 2009, 05:10:51 PM

Team Ninja Metroid game?  That's a legitimate suprise. 

Wow!  That is cool.  2010, though.  I had no idea what it was for, at first.  Samus' backstory?  Nice.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: