http://gamingtrend.com
August 27, 2014, 11:34:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: E3 08 Coverage Begins!  (Read 25293 times)
denoginizer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: July 15, 2008, 11:16:09 PM »

I just watched demos of Resistance 2, Gears 2, and Killzone 2 on G4.

I was a little disappointed in what I saw of Resistance 2.  But Gears and Killzone both looked awesome.  All 3 will be day one purchases for me.  On Bungee's last Podcast they gave the impression that something big was going to be announced at E3.  Was that just a cruel joke?

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: July 15, 2008, 11:27:56 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on July 15, 2008, 11:16:09 PM

On Bungee's last Podcast they gave the impression that something big was going to be announced at E3.  Was that just a cruel joke?

They have a countdown at their site that has about 14 and a half hours to go, so presumably we'll hear something tomorrow.  According to Gamespot, chances are that it's a Halo spinoff that's "a cross between Ghost Recon and Gears of War".
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 11:30:27 PM by EddieA » Logged

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: July 15, 2008, 11:38:31 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on July 15, 2008, 11:27:56 PM

They have a countdown at their site that has about 14 and a half hours to go, so presumably we'll hear something tomorrow.  According to Gamespot, chances are that it's a Halo spinoff that's "a cross between Ghost Recon and Gears of War".

If it's Halo-related wouldn't MS have announced it at their conference?  My guess is that it's a new IP (and possibly multi-platform). 
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: July 15, 2008, 11:44:34 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 15, 2008, 11:38:31 PM

If it's Halo-related wouldn't MS have announced it at their conference?  My guess is that it's a new IP (and possibly multi-platform). 

They dont' work for MS anymore.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: July 15, 2008, 11:45:57 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on July 15, 2008, 11:44:34 PM

But MS still owns the Halo IP- hence it's something that MS would probably want to announce. 
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: July 15, 2008, 11:51:58 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 15, 2008, 11:45:57 PM

But MS still owns the Halo IP- hence it's something that MS would probably want to announce. 

Plus the splash screen at their site looks distinctively un-Halo.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: July 15, 2008, 11:52:29 PM »

Lots of new trailers up on XBL and PSN!  icon_biggrin
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: July 15, 2008, 11:53:31 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on July 15, 2008, 11:51:58 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 15, 2008, 11:45:57 PM

Plus the splash screen at their site looks distinctively un-Halo.

I'm hoping it is a completly new IP.  I think if they wanted to make another Halo game they would not have broken from Microsoft.  I guess we'll see tomorrow.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: July 15, 2008, 11:56:54 PM »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's a new IP as well. They were only contracted to do 3 Halo games. I believe they posted before about how their next project is nothing we've seen before from them, or something along the lines. I would so welcome a non-halo game.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: July 16, 2008, 12:45:53 AM »

well, other than the Dragon Age and Fable 2 news everything else was pretty bleh.  Maybe the next big MS thing will have some word about Mass Effect 2....

As for the Netflix deal, did they say if it was going to upscale?  I think the 'watch it now' stuff is mostly 480p, which will look bad on big screen TV's.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: July 16, 2008, 12:47:02 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 16, 2008, 12:45:53 AM

well, other than the Dragon Age and Fable 2 news everything else was pretty bleh.  Maybe the next big MS thing will have some word about Mass Effect 2....

As for the Netflix deal, did they say if it was going to upscale?  I think the 'watch it now' stuff is mostly 480p, which will look bad on big screen TV's.

I was under the impression that everything over HDMI is upscaled...is that not correct?
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: July 16, 2008, 12:51:07 AM »

Bionic Commando trailer on XBL is sweet!!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: July 16, 2008, 01:01:22 AM »

as for MAG:  great, a chance to play with a bunch of friends and 200 or so other fuctkards.  thumbsup

Because I can,
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: July 16, 2008, 01:09:11 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 16, 2008, 01:01:22 AM

as for MAG:  great, a chance to play with a bunch of friends and 200 or so other fuctkards.  thumbsup

not at all from my understanding. the missions are broken down into smaller group ones around 8'ish.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #334 on: July 16, 2008, 01:12:26 AM »

Eh, I had fun with Planetside, but it clearly was not worth a monthly fee and the limits of the current tech and game design caused problems.  We'll have to see how they handle the pricing and mechanics before I write it off as just another Planetside, but it's not a stand out title to me.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: July 16, 2008, 01:31:50 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on July 16, 2008, 12:47:02 AM

I was under the impression that everything over HDMI is upscaled...is that not correct?

It would be streaming from the internet rather than playing on a device via HDMI so...

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: July 16, 2008, 02:00:16 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on July 16, 2008, 01:31:50 AM

Quote from: leo8877 on July 16, 2008, 12:47:02 AM

It would be streaming from the internet rather than playing on a device via HDMI so...

It does have to get from the XBOX to your TV, though...

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: July 16, 2008, 02:24:27 AM »

Here's an interview about Prince of Persia that includes a fair amount of gameplay:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/240031.html?playlist=featured

Most amazing part to me is the way the Prince interacts with his companion during the platforming. 
somoflange
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: July 16, 2008, 02:42:09 AM »

I'm kinda excited by Sony's movie store. If it's got similar rights management to the games I could see it working pretty well for me. I like to watch movies on my PSP. Looks pretty similar to iTunes store price wise.

Episodic Ratchet & Clank is good stuff. New footage of Resistance was kinda impressive.

That's about all that got me. Everything else has been talked to death.

I honestly don't think Final Fantasy is going to sell that well on 360, but I guess I'm happy for folks that would have ONLY bought a PS3 for that game. Otherwise I hope MS didn't pay too much, I don't think it's going to have that big of a payoff.

Can PS3 have Mass Effect now please?

PSN: plantatreeforlee
Live: blastdsamoflanj
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: July 16, 2008, 03:02:37 AM »

I guess there's not going to be an announcement from Bungie tomorrow.  According to their website, they were told by their publishers that they couldn't make the announcement until sometime in the future.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: July 16, 2008, 03:23:36 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 16, 2008, 02:24:27 AM

Here's an interview about Prince of Persia that includes a fair amount of gameplay:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/240031.html?playlist=featured

Most amazing part to me is the way the Prince interacts with his companion during the platforming. 

I like the gameplay footage.  Whoever allowed that producer in front of a camera needs to be shot.  The equipment was terrible (you don't put the shotgun mic in your mouth; I thought the Ps and Ds were going to blow my speakers out), and he's an awful.  I want to make snarky comments, so here's most of the interview transcribed.  I only cut out a small bit that wasn't funny.  I italicized the really good bits.:

Um...Prince of Persia is an action-adventure game.  What that means to me is it's a game where you have combat, like, a fighting game where you are, uh, fighting against an enemy and you're feeling that, sort of, sensation of accomplishment that comes from defeating an enemy in combat, matched with an equal balance of adventure, which is exploring a world, navigating through a world, in order to find  your path, and it's the perfect balance, if you will, between those two elements that define, in my opinion, a very good action-adventure game.  The added value of Prince of Persia is that the character, the Prince...of Persia, is this extremely agile warrior.  So the way that he moves through the world, the way that he navigates through the world is much more...um...exciting, if you will, than someone who's just running and occasionally jumping.  The prince is an acrobat who flows through the world in a very choreographed, very dynamic way.  And, of course, fights enemies along the way as well.  So I think that's a pretty good definition of the action-adventure game, in particular...the action-adventure genre, in particular with the Prince of Persia.

It sounds like he's reading his eighth-grade English essay.  Badly.

Elica is, uh, an, what we call an ohura (sp?).  So, the ohura were the guardians of the Tree of Life that I was describing to you earlier.  The Tree of Life is a magical tree that imprisons Aremon (sp?), the ancient god of corruption and evil, and have imprisoned him, on the human world, throughout eternity, basically.  The ohura's job is to guard this tree, and make sure that Aremon never escapes, and keep outsiders from coming into this magical little walled garden, if you will, in order to make sure that this tree is safe from anything that could possibly cause it to fall, and thus releasing Aremon.

"Basically", and "if you will", the hallmarks of someone trying to sound smart when under pressure.

So she is, she has a single-minded focus, initially, which is use the Prince, get his help in order to get Aremon back into that Tree of Life.  And, of course, as the game progresses, you know, she learns a little bit about herself and a little bit about the Prince, and some of her priorities.

And now he makes Prince of Persia sound like an after school special.  Awesome.  This guy is probably a fine producer, but that doesn't mean that he should be the one in front of the camera.  If you're going to put someone on stage or in front of a camera, it should be someone who can come across well.  This guy fails. 

I still really want the game though.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #341 on: July 16, 2008, 03:35:29 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on July 16, 2008, 03:23:36 AM

I like the gameplay footage.  Whoever allowed that producer in front of a camera needs to be shot.  The equipment was terrible (you don't put the shotgun mic in your mouth; I thought the Ps and Ds were going to blow my speakers out), and he's an awful.  I want to make snarky comments, so here's most of the interview transcribed.  I only cut out a small bit that wasn't funny.  I italicized the really good bits.:

Wow. That's the first gameplay footage of any game, well, EVER, I've ever watched muted. Yes - shoot that producer. He's SO camera shy it's not even funny.

The game though? Looks great.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: July 16, 2008, 04:04:02 AM »

Man that Bungie shit is lame.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: July 16, 2008, 04:15:05 AM »

No kidding. Why the hell would they not let Bungie make their announcement? It's not like there's anything else much going on at E3 this week (seriously; this has been the most tepid E3 overall I've ever followed yet).

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: July 16, 2008, 04:42:39 AM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on July 15, 2008, 10:46:02 PM

Despite the rampant FF13 "killing blow to Sony" nonsense of Neogaf, the PS3 will most likely be the first choice for multi-platform owners when deciding which version to buy for two reasons:

1) 1 Blu-Ray disc vs multiple DVDs
2) Hardware reliability will make some people go with the PS3 version. Nobody wants to be 50 hours into an RPG and see their console go belly up.

And Sony has far too many strong internal development parties to be knocked out of the game by the loss of FF13 as an exclusive.

If you own both X360 and PS3, then maybe you'll get PS3 version, but the killing blow isn't about which version people will choose to buy if they own both platform. Since more people have X360 than PS3, the killing blow is about that people who will get PS3 as second console just to play FF13. If they don't have X360 version, I'll buy PS3 when FF13 is released just to play FF13. There are probably sizeable amount of FF fans that will do that. Now if there are no other great must-have game on PS3, I'll just get the X360 version and save a lot of money.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: July 16, 2008, 05:05:51 AM »

Quote from: Victoria Raverna on July 16, 2008, 04:42:39 AM

Quote from: Dante Rising on July 15, 2008, 10:46:02 PM

Despite the rampant FF13 "killing blow to Sony" nonsense of Neogaf, the PS3 will most likely be the first choice for multi-platform owners when deciding which version to buy for two reasons:

1) 1 Blu-Ray disc vs multiple DVDs
2) Hardware reliability will make some people go with the PS3 version. Nobody wants to be 50 hours into an RPG and see their console go belly up.

And Sony has far too many strong internal development parties to be knocked out of the game by the loss of FF13 as an exclusive.

If you own both X360 and PS3, then maybe you'll get PS3 version, but the killing blow isn't about which version people will choose to buy if they own both platform. Since more people have X360 than PS3, the killing blow is about that people who will get PS3 as second console just to play FF13. If they don't have X360 version, I'll buy PS3 when FF13 is released just to play FF13. There are probably sizeable amount of FF fans that will do that. Now if there are no other great must-have game on PS3, I'll just get the X360 version and save a lot of money.

It's undoubtedly a blow to Sony but after GTA4 utterly failed to moved hardware for either MS or Sony, I think the system-selling capacity of any single title is relatively low. 
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #346 on: July 16, 2008, 05:34:38 AM »

I think that by the time FF13 releases a lot of the JRPGs that went 360 timed exclusive should be available on the PS3.  At least in Japan where those titles will get a lot more sales on the PS3.

Also, the exclusivity of Versus 13 is up in the air right now, clearly it can go multiplatform as well and probably will.  But, a good way for Sony to salvage the image FF13 is to try for FFV13 exclusivity, at least for timed exclusivity here in the US.

And no, it's not the death blow to Sony.  Heck, it's not bad at all for us gamers considering more people get to play it.  But, since I prefer the PS3 and would like it to compete on more equal ground with the 360, losing that exclusivity is a blow to the brand that could have been used to get the PS3 more notice from developers and publishers.

But, give me another Uncharted, a Team Ico game, and all is well.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: July 16, 2008, 06:28:19 AM »

Quote from: Farscry on July 16, 2008, 04:15:05 AM

No kidding. Why the hell would they not let Bungie make their announcement? It's not like there's anything else much going on at E3 this week (seriously; this has been the most tepid E3 overall I've ever followed yet).

I think it has to do with Nintendo (and maybe Sony) saving bigger announcements for other events as they downplay E3.  It just doesn't have the impact anymore, and the Japanese companies are showing how little they care about it.  As a result, MS had to pull something back for a future date.

Just a guess.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: July 16, 2008, 07:08:18 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on July 16, 2008, 05:34:38 AM

But, give me another Uncharted, a Team Ico game with decent controls, and all is well.

FTFY  icon_wink

Because I can,
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: July 16, 2008, 07:48:00 AM »

Sounds about right

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: July 16, 2008, 02:43:21 PM »

LOL awesome comic.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: July 16, 2008, 02:47:05 PM »

When PA nails it, they really nail it.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: July 16, 2008, 02:50:08 PM »

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BRILLIANT!!!!!!!

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #353 on: July 16, 2008, 03:22:01 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 16, 2008, 05:05:51 AM

It's undoubtedly a blow to Sony but after GTA4 utterly failed to moved hardware for either MS or Sony, I think the system-selling capacity of any single title is relatively low. 

And based on how Sony didn't actually give any sales figures for MGS4 (despite bringing it up almost every other sentence), it seems that there's no such thing as 'games that move hardware' anymore.

And absolutely perfect comic for PA.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #354 on: July 16, 2008, 03:28:52 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on July 16, 2008, 03:22:01 PM

And based on how Sony didn't actually give any sales figures for MGS4 (despite bringing it up almost every other sentence), it seems that there's no such thing as 'games that move hardware' anymore.

I'd have to say that GTA4 would have moved hardware only if it was exclusive. Since that's not the case, it wasn't drawing new people in.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: July 16, 2008, 03:30:39 PM »

Quote from: Purge on July 16, 2008, 03:28:52 PM

I'd have to say that GTA4 would have moved hardware only if it was exclusive. Since that's not the case, it wasn't drawing new people in.

you have to wonder how many people bought the hardware for it before they announced the delay in '07.

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: July 16, 2008, 03:33:16 PM »

But then it's just bringing in people willing to buy a second console.  When that second console costs $400+, I think that segment is relatively small. 
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: July 16, 2008, 05:05:16 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 16, 2008, 03:30:39 PM

you have to wonder how many people bought the hardware for it before they announced the delay in '07.

i qualify under that category in a small part.  360 elite bought at launch "for" mass effect, gta4, and mercs 2.  of course, i have had a S-ton of fun with it and a pretty good catalog of games to play now, so it's not just for those three games.  it was a big reason to get one though.  same with a friend of mine.  he held out until the falcon released.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: July 16, 2008, 06:36:34 PM »

Gametrailers has an amazing-looking video for Prince of Persia, showing an Okami-like cleansing of the corruption, as well as a magnificent view of a far-off city.  After seeing this, the game has shot straight to the top of my most-wanted non-RPG list.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 06:39:45 PM by EddieA » Logged

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: July 16, 2008, 06:36:56 PM »

Nice video of the new 360 dashboard.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36412.html
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: