http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 03:26:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: E3 '07 Coverage: Microsoft Press Event  (Read 4185 times)
gellar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2007, 04:57:46 AM »

OK MS.  Next year, new plan.  Just show the Halo 3 trailer over and over again.  The one you showed last.  It was 100X better than anything else you showed.

And I don't even like Halo.

gellar
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2007, 04:58:44 AM »

Quote from: gellar on July 11, 2007, 04:55:55 AM

Quote from: TheMissingLink on July 11, 2007, 04:53:18 AM

"Here it is."

NO APPLAUSE.

He still said thank you though!

I think part of that is that the audience is now journalists, not fans.  Consequently, less hooting and hollering.  I guess we can test that theory at the Nintendo and Sony events tomorrow.

Edit:  G4 just cut off the end of the Halo trailer.  I think they're officially the least competent live broadcasters ever.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2007, 04:58:55 AM »

I specifically saw a scene in that Halo 3 trailer from that very first teaser they showed...

And it looked nothing like that first teaser.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2007, 04:59:41 AM »

Quote from: Brendan on July 11, 2007, 04:58:44 AM

Quote from: gellar on July 11, 2007, 04:55:55 AM

Quote from: TheMissingLink on July 11, 2007, 04:53:18 AM

"Here it is."

NO APPLAUSE.

He still said thank you though!

I think part of that is that the audience is now journalists, not fans.  Consequently, less hooting and hollering.  I guess we can test that theory at the Nintendo and Sony events tomorrow.

Yeah I'm sure you're correct, I just liked his dramatic pause like he was expecting something... and got nothing.

gellar
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2007, 05:00:22 AM »

G4 went to commercial during the Halo trailer...luckily, I'm streaming online and watching G4, thank God.  Good lord, idiots.

Halo looked MOTS, in my opinion.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2007, 05:01:13 AM »

What a lame press event.  Not as bad as Sony's last year, but overall meh.

AND NO PRICE CUT!!!!

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2007, 05:01:40 AM »

I don't know where to begin- awful, just awful.  I'm totally onboard with MS's holiday lineup- it's outstanding.  But I'd be hard pressed to come up with a worse way to present it.

No new notable exclusives announced.  Gameplay footage highlighted was either long and boring (PGR 4 and CoD 4) or unacceptably buggy (Assassins Creed).  Very few notable trailers- the badass CoD 4 trailer premiered several days ago and they couldn't get Take 2 to cough up some new footage for GTA 4? 

It wasn't as bad as Sony's conference from last year simply because that's where Sony announced the price of the PS3 but it was almost on that level.  Hell I couldn't believe the silence from the press and it's hard to find an audience more predisposed to love anything from the 360. 
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2007, 05:03:09 AM »

Quote from: gellar on July 11, 2007, 04:51:59 AM

Wait... did he just call Halo's story 'epic'?

God I fucking hate marketing.

gellar

I wouldn't call it epic either. Non-existant or stupid would spring to mind first, but not epic.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2007, 05:03:49 AM »

Oh, that's kind of big.  No price cut announced, I mean if they were going to do one, they'd have announced it there.

It's still possible that it'll be announced later, but very unlikely.

I'd say Mass Effect is more epic.  And hey, they revealed one of the love interests for male Shepard.  Looks like a fleet crew member.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2007, 05:04:08 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on July 11, 2007, 05:00:22 AM

G4 went to commercial during the Halo trailer...luckily, I'm streaming online and watching G4, thank God.  Good lord, idiots.

heh...they just backtracked and showed the rest of the trailer as soon as they came back.  their tv 'coverage' was absolutely horrible though.  i think it can be summed up pretty well by listing all the previewed games that were missed due to commercials...Viva Pinata:Party Animals, Mass Effect, PGR4, Lost Odyssey, and half of the Halo3 trailer.  at least they didn't skip anything major...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 05:05:45 AM by disarm » Logged

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2007, 05:06:12 AM »

Also, looks like Too Human is confirmed 2008 since it wasn't shown (not surprising though).  Maybe they'll finish the trilogy by 2020. 
nymanium
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2007, 05:08:14 AM »

No price drop makes me sad. G4's horrible live broadcast makes me sadder. Only thing that made me go wow was when they showed RE 5, oh and every time I see Super Puzzle Fighter makes me happy. Marathon coming to arcade was a nice surprise.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2007, 05:10:55 AM »

That was such a conservative showing.  I had seen EVERYTHING, and big "ah---HA!!" moments were lame (motorcycles in PGR4, the special Halo 360, Scene It! complete with dorky-looking remotes), and the demonstrations that could have been jaw-dropping, did not go well.  

For shame, Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed.

The talk about sports games being 60fps as opposed to 30fps ticked me off, because after playing the NCAA demo before the presentation, I now know why; they're sacrificing how good it looks for smoothness.

Thanks for a new GTA4 video...and I don't care if it's the most "complete" version if I can download episodes in Spring.

Halo 3 didn't look all that great.  It certainly looked nothing like the first trailer, and looked more like a high-res Halo 2.5.

The door is wiiiiiiide open for Sony and Nintendo.  Microsoft played it way too conservative.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2007, 05:13:22 AM »

Yeah, I think Sony is going to come out strong this year.  The GDC keynote was very impressive and in that regard it looks like they've learned something

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2007, 05:14:03 AM »

I hate to say it but I'm *less* excited about Assassin's Creed after that showing.  I'm still really, really looking forward to it but it doesn't look nearly as good as the last time I saw it demo'd (X06 maybe?).  It's hard to put a finger on it but it felt a little scaled back and more conventional than it was before. 
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2007, 05:14:11 AM »

Yeah on the one hand, I can definitely understand and respect MS idea of showing only games that are going to be released this year.  I appreciate it.

On the other, they didn't really get me hyped up for anything.  They did really annoy me with all of the Halo hyperbole though.

gellar
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2007, 05:14:53 AM »

And a whopping 2 people on my friends list tonight, eager to grab the Arcade titles and the new vids on the marketplace!

LIVE IS ABLAZE!!!!

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2007, 05:15:12 AM »

NO PRICE DROP.  Stupid idiots.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2007, 05:15:32 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 11, 2007, 05:14:03 AM

I hate to say it but I'm *less* excited about Assassin's Creed after that showing.  I'm still really, really looking forward to it but it doesn't look nearly as good as the last time I saw it demo'd (X06 maybe?).  It's hard to put a finger on it but it felt a little scaled back and more conventional than it was before. 

It's a LOT less stylish and slick as the trailer they showed at GDC.  I liked that trailer.  What they showed today looks pretty... well, conventional as you said.  Nothing groundbreaking.  Might be fun, but doesn't fill me with excitement either.  At least not in the same way the first trailer did.

gellar
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2007, 05:22:43 AM »

Quote from: gellar on July 11, 2007, 05:14:11 AM

Yeah on the one hand, I can definitely understand and respect MS idea of showing only games that are going to be released this year.  I appreciate it.

On the other, they didn't really get me hyped up for anything.  They did really annoy me with all of the Halo hyperbole though.

gellar

Exactly.  Last year they opened with Cliffy playing Gears single player.  Rock Band was neat and all (though, again, awkwardly executed) but where was Bungie playing Halo 3 single player?  Or Bioware demonstrating Mass Effect?  Why not push Take 2 to get up there with either a new exclusive GTA4 trailer or, even better, show it playable? 

The excruciating GT HD demo from Sony last year should have made people wary of showing off racing games and then they added a very visually mundane PGR 4 level on top of that.  The single most boring section from CoD 4 (it almost seemed like they stopped early out of mercy).   The playables were just excruciating.  Then one of the few "new" trailers they had, RE5, they cut short for us to download in a couple of weeks but they show other trailers we've already seen. 

And WTF was that Neil Blomenkamp Halo 3 promo other than a middle finger to the studios who canceled the Halo movie?  And I wish they would stop talking about the Peter Jackson Halo project if they aren't ready to provide details. 
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2007, 05:26:22 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 11, 2007, 05:22:43 AM

And WTF was that Neil Blomenkamp Halo 3 promo other than a middle finger to the studios who canceled the Halo movie?  And I wish they would stop talking about the Peter Jackson Halo project if they aren't ready to provide details. 

Heh I forgot about that part.  That ruled...

Peter Moore: "Something something EPIC HALO STORY LIKE STAR WARS OMGZ something something"
*Cut to Trailer/Promo/Whatever it was*
SOLDIERS
VEHICLES
WEAPONZ
NO STORY WHATSOEVER
*Back to Moore*

Fantastic!

gellar
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2007, 05:28:43 AM »

Quote from: gellar on July 11, 2007, 05:26:22 AM

Peter Moore: "Something something EPIC HALO STORY LIKE STAR WARS OMGZ something something"

Heh, that part was a total non-sequitor to me.  I'm hearing all of this Star Wars talk and I'm thinking "Oh, are they going to show Force Unleashed?", I glance down to read a web page, then the next thing I know he's talking about Halo and all I could think of was WTF. 
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2007, 05:36:11 AM »

If Sony busts out with a great show this year and a lot more interesting (and exclusive games) they could make up a lot of ground.  Especially since there was no price drop.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2007, 05:46:49 AM »

jesus christ microsoft

what the hell was that??

Viva Pinata party animals must of been one of the few(maybe the only one)that i didnt know about

good to hear Mass effect actually has a release date(month)now

but otherwise.....Microsoft has let me down with this years announcements...bastards

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2007, 06:00:38 AM »

WMV versions of the trailers are now up:

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&link=ethreeblowout

It looks fantastic, as you might expect.  You can also see the half of the trailer that G4 didn't bother to show during their broadcast.  Looks like Master Chief and the Arbiter potentially meet up at last.  Also - more Cortana.  Everyone loves Cortana.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2007, 06:18:40 AM »

Quote from: Brendan on July 11, 2007, 06:00:38 AM

WMV versions of the trailers are now up:

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&link=ethreeblowout

It looks fantastic, as you might expect.  You can also see the half of the trailer that G4 didn't bother to show during their broadcast.  Looks like Master Chief and the Arbiter potentially meet up at last.  Also - more Cortana.  Everyone loves Cortana.

all the videos are up on marketplace now,and also blue dragon demo,and golden axe and sonic the hedgehog arcade games

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2007, 06:32:54 AM »

Hey, I'm all for more story in Halo games.  Seeing MC and Arbiter working together should be cool.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2007, 06:44:11 AM »

So during the MP Beta we kept hearing "Don't knock the graphics, its just the beta". Well after seeing the SP trailer my first thought was "Maybe they should have licensed the the Unreal 3 engine..."
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2007, 07:07:33 AM »

I'm not thinking that.  Even a U3 engine game, if it was dealing with environments as large as Halo's and without load times it'd probably look the same on the 360.  Remember that Gears of War, and even UT3 are still basically corridor shooters, and all the UT3 screenshots are mainly on high end PCs with hardware better than the 360.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2007, 08:55:08 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 11, 2007, 05:14:03 AM

Man, I've been UNexcited about Assassins's Creed and Splinter Cell since the first trailers.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 11, 2007, 10:35:30 AM »

Anywhere that offers the whole press event for download or anything?  My stupid cable company doesn't carry G4 frown

Didn't see it mentioned here, but Ace Combat 6 demo up on live.  Woo!
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2007, 10:47:26 AM »

Yeah looking forward to trying that one out.  I'm thinking very seriously about picking up the combo pack with the stick and throttle.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2007, 11:18:30 AM »

Quote from: kathode on July 11, 2007, 10:35:30 AM

Anywhere that offers the whole press event for download or anything?  My stupid cable company doesn't carry G4 frown

Gamespot has the full video here.  You're not missing much without G4.  It used to be good, but now it's only a notch or two above VH1 and Court TV on the "most horrific channel" scale.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 11, 2007, 12:15:41 PM »

Quote from: disarm on July 11, 2007, 05:04:08 AM

Quote from: TheMissingLink on July 11, 2007, 05:00:22 AM

G4 went to commercial during the Halo trailer...luckily, I'm streaming online and watching G4, thank God.  Good lord, idiots.

heh...they just backtracked and showed the rest of the trailer as soon as they came back.  their tv 'coverage' was absolutely horrible though.  i think it can be summed up pretty well by listing all the previewed games that were missed due to commercials...Viva Pinata:Party Animals, Mass Effect, PGR4, Lost Odyssey, and half of the Halo3 trailer.  at least they didn't skip anything major...

When G4 forced us to watch that entire Halo theme song played by a lounge band and then went to commercial during the Mass Effect preview I decided to go to bed.  From reading the above comments it looks like I made the right decision.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 11, 2007, 12:35:44 PM »

I know some complained about the quality of demos(sp) shown, but I think if they showed pre-rendered stuff people would still be bitching.   I'm very excited for the 360 future releases.  Was the Press Event terrible?  Probably, but I'm still excited to be playing Assassin Creed, RE4!!! and Mass Effects.  thumbsup

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 11, 2007, 12:36:20 PM »

Well there might not have been a lot of people downloading stuff last night, but Live is slammed this morning.  I filled up my download list before I left for the gym an hour and a half ago, and now that I'm back I see I'm only 40% done with the Ace Combat demo - the first thing on my list.  I hope the Blue Dragon demo is done by the time I get home from work! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 11, 2007, 03:18:02 PM »

It almost sounds like MS didn't know what to do without the media circus that was E3 of years past.  I thought about watching but got sidetracked playing The Godfather.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
depward

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 11, 2007, 03:35:32 PM »

Looking forward to the other press events - Microsoft's was a giant "meh"

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: July 11, 2007, 04:01:33 PM »

I'm not sure what people were expecting... we're heading into the third Christmas shopping season for the 360 - it's time for them to settle into a groove and crank out the AAA games - which is what they showed in the keynote.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 11, 2007, 04:09:37 PM »

Quote from: Laner on July 11, 2007, 04:01:33 PM

we're heading into the third Christmas shopping season for the 360

wow, it's been that many shopping seasons already, hasn't it?  So I guess we probably have about 2 more good ones until the next version of the X-Box comes out  icon_wink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: