http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 07:53:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3  (Read 367 times)
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« on: July 01, 2011, 07:43:44 PM »

Anyone else playing this?

If you have any interest in the series, I urge you to check it out. IMO it is improved across the board over every other DW game. This is the new standard, though it might not make a DW lover out of you if you weren't into it before. If you do like DW, this is a must have.

I just finished posting a rant about a Games Radar view at my blog (link in the sig)

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 07:47:23 PM »

Played a couple of hours last night. Very fun and as said, nice improvements, especially the graphics.

One nit I have with it so far is that the camera is waay too close. Easy to lose track of leaders when fighting them.

It does come with Japanese voices though, that is a nice thing.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 08:14:57 PM »

Graphically, it is amazing. It's hard not to laugh at times because the screen is shaking and there's smoke and lasers and chaos everywhere.

Love the new systems like the partner strikes and the different field types.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 02:13:25 AM »

After I posted my rant earlier, the cheeseweasels at IGN dropped at 4 on it. They don't spend a single god damned sentence talking about all the great new features, but we get treated to this:

After your Gundam is perfect you take it into the battlefield and press X press X press X press X press X press X press X press X press X press X press X press X press X press X press X press X press X press X press X press X...

Hey IGN, go f% yourselves. Sideways. With a laser sword.

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 07:23:15 PM »

Yeah, the review sites don't like the Dynasty Warriors series at all. *shrug*

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 07:30:38 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on July 02, 2011, 07:23:15 PM

Yeah, the review sites don't like the Dynasty Warriors series at all. *shrug*

that's not entirely true, they loved the first couple.  They just like to see games evolve a bit more each release.  I used to love DW and the spinoffs but they really got stale with me after awhile.  A few years the 'new' one didn't offer anything new but slightly upgraded graphics.

I don't really have a problem with the gameplay though.  It IS mostly press X repeatedly with occasional other presses, but that's true of most action beat-em-ups. Not sure why that would be a bad thing.

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 10:50:56 PM »

Actually, pretty much every edition has changed some major things around. However, the review sites tend to just focus on what is the same.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 11:01:32 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on July 02, 2011, 10:50:56 PM

Actually, pretty much every edition has changed some major things around. However, the review sites tend to just focus on what is the same.

That was EXACTLY the point I was trying to make. There are a lot of new things in this game, and oddly enough, they are mentioned in the preview IGN did, but not in the review.

If they talked about the new stuff, then said in conclusion, that if you didn't like the series before that you still wouldn't, I'd be totally cool with that, because then they'd be giving good purchase advice.

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 09:26:02 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on July 02, 2011, 02:13:25 AM

After your Gundam is perfect you take it into the battlefield and press X press X press X press X press X press X press X press X press X press X press X press X press X press X press X press X press X press X press X press X...

Ive tried to get it the Dynasty Warriors games numerous times (5, 5 Empires, 6, 6 Empires), as the Romance of the Three Kingdoms series of titles were the first console games I ever loved. Sadly, what you posted above is exactly like what 90% of the game feels like to me: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

The most insulting part of the game is that you can actually see large groupings of enemies literally standing in place until you move close enough to trigger their attack AI. It completely takes away any semblance of a dynamic battlefield.  Also, I really wish the games had better story lines, as there is a wealth of wonderful ideas to pull from the original books.

It really frustrates me, as Sun Ce, Sun Jian, Lu Bu, Cao Cao and many other characters hold a special place in my heart.  

My friend absolutely LOVES the Dynasty Warriors games, and he keeps telling me about strange little aspects I always miss- brotherhood pacts, marriages, etc.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 09:28:18 PM by Dante Rising » Logged
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2011, 11:16:13 PM »

I understand the games aren't for everybody. I've got no problem if somebody thinks they suck. But I expect a review to tell me what I need to know to make a buying decision, like what new features might be in the game.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 01:20:43 PM »

Misguided, you should check out Eurogamer's 8/10 review.

They start with this comment:

They all look the same, so they say. Blindness to nuance and personality in the face of the unfamiliar has always been the bigot's way, and how many gamers are guilty of the same when looking to Koei's Dynasty Warriors series? "There's no real challenge," they argue, setting the difficulty to easy and switching off after an hour. "You simply mash the buttons to trigger an apocalypse of fireworks," they explain, ignoring the capacity for skill beneath the pyrotechnics.

These are half-empty criticisms for anyone who has invested the time and effort that Koei and Omega Force ask. The developers may have failed to keep pace with global trends, leaving their once-commanding hack-and-slash series fading in the face of newer, bolder creative visions. But only a wilfully ignorant critic would claim nothing changes from release to release.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 07:53:04 PM »

Thanks, I hadn't seen that one yet. Good on them for actually talking about some of the new features.

Mikagami
Gaming Trend Reader

Click Clack Click Clack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 02:18:18 PM »

For the love of crap there is an entire crafting/customizing section to the game now!
Hundreds of mobile suit designs to find as well as partners and operators.
Co-op ONLINE play, something the DW series needed for a looooooooong time.
I'm loving this.
Loads of improvements.

If by "the same" they mean the core mechanics of the game, then yeah, you are correct.
Guess they want the next Madden to "change it up" by adding some fighting game elements to it, huh?

Gonna eat your face
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: