http://gamingtrend.com
August 31, 2014, 04:47:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress  (Read 1856 times)
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 17, 2008, 04:41:13 PM »

So is anyone still playing this?  I haven't fired it up recently as I got caught up in PotBS and now Mythos, but am thinking of starting back up again.

I am still fairly inexperienced with the game, and I always seem to end up with a few dwarves drowning... you would think they wouldn't dive into a huge lake when they don't know how to swim.  Any advice on starting "builds"?
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 05:32:39 PM »

The next release is going to be really interesting. Apparently, instead of timed armies showing up to siege you, real armies from real civilizations will appear, and you'll also be able to send armies out to siege other locations.
But, you can hardly go wrong now with the new Z axis. Dwarves seem to drown when they fight animals in the water, at least in my experience. Do you have the latest version? The newer versions seem to lower dwarf drowning quite a bit.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 05:37:00 PM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on April 17, 2008, 05:32:39 PM

The next release is going to be really interesting. Apparently, instead of timed armies showing up to siege you, real armies from real civilizations will appear, and you'll also be able to send armies out to siege other locations.
But, you can hardly go wrong now with the new Z axis. Dwarves seem to drown when they fight animals in the water, at least in my experience. Do you have the latest version? The newer versions seem to lower dwarf drowning quite a bit.

I am running a release from I think end of February.  I have never actually played a game long enough to get seiged by armies... I think best I have done is 4 seasons before things got so out of hand I couldn't keep up.
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 06:37:04 PM »

I play it now and then: I'll be intrigued for several hours before I stop.  Then I'll pick it up and start fresh. One of the more interesting games around right now - despite its unholy graphics.

New Dwarf Fortress: Now with less Dwarven Drowning.

There's always something new...

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 05:39:58 AM »

I'd love to play dwarf fortress - but only when it has graphics. All I want is Exile/Avernum quality ones.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 06:52:27 AM »

Yep, for a game as complex as this, it's time to add in real graphics since they pretty much outstripped the usefulness of ascii graphics from the moment this game was designed.
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 11:53:59 AM »

Someone had linked to a 'graphics' pack for the game either on here or on OO. It is *amazing*. Changes the visual aspect of the game dramatically. Suddenly I could tell what everything was. Worth searching for.
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 01:16:43 PM »

Quote from: Crux on April 18, 2008, 11:53:59 AM

Someone had linked to a 'graphics' pack for the game either on here or on OO. It is *amazing*. Changes the visual aspect of the game dramatically. Suddenly I could tell what everything was. Worth searching for.
  I must've dreamed about seeing a very dramatic looking Dwarf Fortress mod because I haven't been able to google the particular screenshot I'd seen. I'm thinking now that maybe somebody had posted a screen from an old-time game and said "This would be acceptable. This I could work with" and I mistook that for an actual DF addition.

A great game - but I understand why many can't get past that UI.

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 01:36:36 PM »

No there is an actual addition. I have it on my computer at work.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 07:52:53 PM »

They are working on a graphics patch.  They have some mock ups in their forums.  But otherwise I don't know what's become of it.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 01:58:29 AM »

I found this, which looks to be the most comprehensive graphics mod available:

http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.htm

I tried getting into the game before, but it was a little hard trying to figure out how to work it and see what went on. Hopefully I'll like this better.
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2008, 03:27:27 AM »

JCAnejo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2008, 03:02:04 AM »

Quote from: Rumpy on April 19, 2008, 01:58:29 AM

I found this, which looks to be the most comprehensive graphics mod available:

http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.htm

I tried getting into the game before, but it was a little hard trying to figure out how to work it and see what went on. Hopefully I'll like this better.

Here is a shot of the graphics

Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2008, 04:13:11 AM »

It would be stupid for Toady to focus on graphics when 70% of the game is not complete. It'd be like making sure the cover looked real purdy before starting on a novel.

The more added into the game, the more the finished graphics would be, and instead of focusing on rebuilding the sprites on every release, taking probably 3 months for an incremental upgrade, I'd rather he focus on adding in the new features, like viable armies and real battles and release a nearly new game every 3 months until he gets close to totally done.

Same with the interface. He should focus on it once he knows what he needs to include in an interface.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2008, 05:13:40 AM »

On the other hand, if he doesn't include graphics into his work, he may find that he has to rework large parts of the game once the graphics are in.  Graphics do add to gameplay, it can make certain game elements easier to understand and react to.  Instead of interpreting strange symbols, or clicking through a bunch of sub menus to see, say a dwarf's health status you can just look at the dwarf graphic and see what shape he's in.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2008, 09:28:34 PM »

I have never really had an issue with the graphics, I just struggle at times with the scope of the game.  It can get overwhelming real fast.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2008, 09:33:37 PM »

The graphics are a barrier to entry for a lot of gamers.  I played DF when it first got popular and got beyond the graphics, but it was a tough grind those first several hours.  I ended up putting it aside, and one of my biggest issues was the graphics.  It may be one of the best indie games in a long time, but there's a difference between "bad graphics" and what DF currently employs.

Some people can play games and have no issue with the graphics.  Some people can't.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2008, 01:53:20 AM »

Yeah I can see how the lack of graphics can be a big turn off, but then I still enjoy text based games and sims with little to no graphics.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2010, 02:33:45 AM »

looks like they just released a major update.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2010, 12:39:07 PM »

Nice, thanks for the heads up CeeKay.  I haven't played in ages, gonna see if my work laptop can handle it, this little gem can be a huge resource hog.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: