http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 05:20:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dungeons of Dredmor  (Read 5130 times)
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 23, 2011, 01:17:53 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on July 22, 2011, 08:32:16 PM

the fireball is being fixed soon, enjoy while you can.

That the "obvious fireball"? I'm currently using a Promethean character but don't have that yet.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
map

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 23, 2011, 01:54:45 PM »

I'm playing 1.0.3 and my previous that were working now no longer load.

Save America, shoot your television.
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 24, 2011, 03:12:18 AM »

Just had one of my all-time greatest gaming experiences - wow!

Decided to try a mage character since I had a little time to kill. So I decided to experiment with a little class I like to call the 'Kickmage' - unarmed combat, plus a bunch of pure magic skills. Got some lucky breaks early that let me survive instead of getting squished - then decided to level straight through unarmed combat, to the point where I maxed out the tree and was kicking monsters around like a boss (meat shield and radiant aura were critical).

Anyway, I almost felt overpowered for a while - I leveled up to 10, which is -far- greater than any of my previous characters, and I really didn't even have any use for items - I was pretty much stocked with bolts, potions, and food/drink, to the point where I had next to no room for loot. I was thinking about selling it all but decided to duck down to level 4 to try some of the different bolts before selling them.

Of course, you all know what's coming next - MONSTER ZOO. I had handled some on previous levels of the dungeon, but only when I had gone through most of the floor and was overpowered already. This one was only a few rooms into the floor, and I was woefully unprepared - so I'm thinking 'Crap, there goes that character - best run ever but had to end'. I was on the wrong side of the door to make a run for the stairs, so I bolted for a dead-end room with a single-file bridge as the only entrance.

Where, for forty-five solid minutes, I proceeded to lay down -holy hell- with everything in my arsenal - I had to alternate strategies a ton of times, if it was a scattered enemy or two I'd let them get close so I could use my mana-free kicks with knockback or AoE kicks. If it was a few more, I'd pick them off with whatever bolts I had - first my plain bolts, then fire, then acid, then skull, clockwork, and anything else I had. I burned out every wand in my inventory. When it got overwhelming, I sacrificed the mana to summon a pet, and was thinning out the herd the whole time by throwing exploding runes down on the other side of the bridge. A couple of times, I had to use up the last of my mana to throw a stone wall up on the bridge and chug drinks to get mana back. Fortunately, meat-shield meant I never really got low on health except for when those damn thermoblobs or pumpkin guys hit me with AoE in my cramped space.

Forty-five minutes later, I had single-digit mana, no drinks left, no bolts, only a couple of potions, had gotten a lucky break by gaining a level when I was low on mana so I got it all back... and every. damned. one. of. them. was dead. I had exactly enough tricks up my sleeve to kick my way back up to the previous floor to catch my breath and get full health and mana back.

There's not many times a game can make me feel like a triumphant hero, and even less in these unscripted games. Winning the Cup on NHL Be a Pro mode, beating X-Com, finishing a huge project on Minecraft, gaining promotion in Football Manager... clearing that damn monster zoo is right up there with those for me. I know it's a roguelike, and that this character's odds of beating the game are slim to none - but damned if he's not a hero in my mind, beyond most of the random blends of skills I've thrown into that dungeon, and I am going to be PISSED when he dies.

Bravo, Dungeons of Dredmor. Bra-freaking-vo. Best $5 I've spent on gaming in a long, long time.

Edit: Now you bastards tell me Obvious Fireball is overpowered - that was next on the skill tree!  icon_twisted
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 03:21:01 AM by Clanwolfer » Logged

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 24, 2011, 03:56:15 AM »

Nice Job! I still hope that they will add some loot to monster zoos. When you found one in Shiren, the rooms were always packed full of Goodies.

Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 24, 2011, 05:45:19 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on July 22, 2011, 08:04:51 PM

After my first three characters, all of who were melee characters, I finally decided to try a pure mage. His skills are Staff-fighting, Mathemagic, Astrology, Promethean Magic, Magic Training, Blood Magic and Ley Lines. He's currently level 10 and very specialized, focusing on massive damage with his fireballs as well as strong magic power and mana regeneration through Blood Magic, Magic Training and Ley Lines. He's incredibly dangerous. I'm on level 4 and churning through opposition like it's butter. I'm actually looking forward to monster zoos (the last one I encountered I cleaned out in about 6-7 turns). Mana is almost never a problem. I can fire off several fireballs upon entering a room, and by the time I leave it I'm fully recharged. I've only drunk one or two mana restoration drinks, as most of the time I don't really need them. I've focused my items on these skills as well, with particular attention to mana regeneration. It's at a level now where killing one single enemy will cause me to regenerate 1 mana every turn for 10 turns. Even if I haven't just killed an enemy, I still regenerate 1 mana every other turn. It's insane!

I'm sort of dreading going back to a melee character now, but I suppose I'll have to once this guy dies (or wins. Yeah, right!). My next character will be a rogue of some kind. 

I tried this build and it does rock, I have decent fire resistance so I can fire off a fireball even if the monsters are right next to me and I barely get damaged.  Had a close call when Haywire went off and I got damaged quite a bit but managed to barely pull through.  I'm at level 9 and still clearing out the 3rd floor.  Zoo's are quite fun when you can just stand there and fire fireballs into the room and have plenty of mana to clear it all out.  Melee will be hard to go back to but I'd like to try lots of other builds.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 24, 2011, 10:05:15 PM »

FYI, fireball is in line for a bit of a nerfing, so enjoy it while it lasts. I'm sure it will still be effective, but not quite so nuts. Personally, I think that fireball should be a 3x3 instead of a 5x5, given it costs less mana than the 5x5 rune and is more flexible because I can be cast on an occupied space.

morlac

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 25, 2011, 12:14:29 AM »

Only played for about a hour or two but this game makes me laugh.  Sorry I got nothing to add just yet besides that but thought I would share smile.  I never play games 'hardcore' anymore but this one I am.  I die with a smile on my face and just restart.  Oh and I die a lot.  I think I died at least twice in the tutorial, once I think I was supposed to....maybe.

morlac00 on PSN
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: July 27, 2011, 07:02:56 PM »

VICTORY! I Just killed Lord Dreadmor with a wizard at the default (middle) difficulty level and permadeath. I was level 21 by the end, and my final score was 728212.

The game is a bit too long as it is. In my opinion, a roguelike should take between 5 minutes and 2-4 hours to finish (by dying or winning). This character took about 10 hours, I think. By the time I reached level 9, I was just ready for it to end and rushed down to level 10. I could probably have scored more points if I had been more patient.
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 03, 2011, 12:39:40 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on July 27, 2011, 07:02:56 PM

VICTORY! I Just killed Lord Dreadmor with a wizard at the default (middle) difficulty level and permadeath. I was level 21 by the end, and my final score was 728212.

The game is a bit too long as it is. In my opinion, a roguelike should take between 5 minutes and 2-4 hours to finish (by dying or winning). This character took about 10 hours, I think. By the time I reached level 9, I was just ready for it to end and rushed down to level 10. I could probably have scored more points if I had been more patient.

Are you using the pyromancer build then?
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: August 03, 2011, 11:44:49 AM »

Quote from: baelthazar on August 03, 2011, 12:39:40 AM

Are you using the pyromancer build then?

I used my own, custom build described earlier in this thread. He was a mage with focus on mana regeneration and obvious fireball.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 03, 2011, 01:24:19 PM »

For some reason, this game just hasn't clicked with me at all after about 2.5 hours...which is odd, considering that I typically love Rogue-likes.  Part of my problem is that there's simply too much...stuff.  Seems like I'm picking up something new every 2 steps, and I haven't even begun to wrap my brain around what it all does yet.  I have a completely full inventory halfway through level 1, to the point where I'm leaving/ignoring about half of what I come across.  Add in the seemingly ridiculous number of stats that things affect, and I have no idea whether half the crap I'm carrying is good or bad, not to mention what the hell I'm actually supposed to do with it.

Yeah, I know figuring it out is part of the fun in these sort of games, but it all just seems like overload at this point.  I'd probably enjoy it more if I really dug in and researched how everything works, but I'm not sure I want to make that sort of time investment on something I'm rather 'meh' about to begin with.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 03, 2011, 07:12:49 PM »

Maybe it depends on what your first Roguelike was? My first was Telengard on the C64. 50 levels, each 200x200 for a total of 2 million squares. This one seems pretty small and short in comparison.

Of course,  that didn't mean that my typical Telengard game lasted much longer than 10 minutes...
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 07:14:31 PM by Gryndyl » Logged

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
wonton
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 03, 2011, 09:12:57 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on August 03, 2011, 01:24:19 PM

I'd probably enjoy it more if I really dug in and researched how everything works, but I'm not sure I want to make that sort of time investment on something I'm rather 'meh' about to begin with.

I took the opposite route, and didn't worry about the details so much.  I enjoyed hours and hours of this game, then realized I could sell loot.  There's so many classes, I'm just spending my time switching my build up, and I'm starting to pick up some of the stat ideas naturally, the tooltips make it pretty easy.  I do wish the stat icons were bigger, they're all just blurry boxes that are so small I can't even properly see the color.

Anyway, first rpg I've enjoyed in a good while, and is perfect because my laptop can't handle anything other than 2D.

(Mathmagical Vikingadventurfungalfarmastrologist for the win!)
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 07, 2011, 12:39:48 AM »

Quote from: Gryndyl on August 03, 2011, 07:12:49 PM

Maybe it depends on what your first Roguelike was? My first was Telengard on the C64. 50 levels, each 200x200 for a total of 2 million squares. This one seems pretty small and short in comparison.

Of course,  that didn't mean that my typical Telengard game lasted much longer than 10 minutes...

Haha, oh my yes! My first games in the genre were Telengard and another one called Fracas. I can remember being terrified by the blocky red square that signified a dragon, LOL.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 12, 2011, 08:33:05 PM »

are you ready to enter... The Realm of the Diggle Gods?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 06, 2012, 01:07:52 AM »

today they put out some free DLC plus added Steam Workshop support.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 20, 2012, 01:29:30 AM »

I was glancing through the Steam forums and saw mention of a new expansion coming: Conquest of the Wizardlands:

Explore the Wizardlands! Trade Wizarding Graffiti with your friends and enemies alike to gain access to the fractured extra-dimensional domains of the Wizards using an innovative retro-inspired magic password system.

Harness the expanded storage space of your very own Pocket Dimension where interdimensional gnomes probably won’t steal all your crafting-junk.

Encrust your Equipment with our powerful new Encrusting System! Upgrade weapons and armour with powerful crusts, offering special abilities and horrifying instability effects as crust is encrusted upon crust!

Tackle new foes from the terrifyingly fun Baron Samedi to the small and annoying Cloud Gremlins who shoot small and annoying lightning bolts at you! Beware the Monstrous Rutabaga, scourge of the Vikings, who will run you down at unexpected speed with the monstrous dash ability.

Drunkenness!

New trophy screens, including a rewrite of the achievement system for off-line play (and people not using Steam)

Two new weapon types: Daggers and Polearms! (No really, they’re not Swords and Staves anymore!)

A whole WHACK of new Skills: Daggers, Polearms, Bankster, Communist, Paranormal Investigator, Magical Law, and more!

Minibosses!

A small, pleasant handful of usability fixes! (Which everyone with the core game will get for free, naturally.)

Enhanced sneakiness, monster sight cones, and alertness levels for more roguish gameplay! The only thing missing is a box you can carry around to hide in — unless you count an extra-dimensional box (see the first item in this list).

Diggle Hell. It’s a real place.

Because I can,
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 20, 2012, 02:09:28 AM »

I keep meaning to go back to this.  The higher levels just felt too punishing and puzzle like in requirements though.
Dramatist
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 20, 2012, 03:16:29 PM »

I love this game and have 344 hours on it according to Steam.  I can't wait for this expansion!
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 20, 2012, 08:10:16 PM »

"Diggle Hell. It’s a real place."

I'm in!

morlac00 on PSN
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 02, 2012, 03:08:26 AM »

Conquest of the Wizardlands is out.

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 02, 2012, 04:46:45 AM »

Nice.  I just noticed this btw.  their specs are funny too.

PC Minimum:

Processor:IBM 386 Personal Computer
Memory:1 MB RAM
Graphics:Hercules Graphics Adaptor
DirectX®:5.2
Hard Drive:20 MB HD space
Sound:Adlib compatible sound card; Roland MT-32; Gravis Ultrasound
Additional:640kb should be enough for everybody. Are you brave enough for 640kb?

Mac Minimum:

Processor:6502 Microprocessor
Memory:1 MB RAM
Graphics:NTSC-compatible television monitor
Hard Drive:20 MB HD space
Sound:Ensoniq 5503 Wavetable Synthesizer
Additional:Woz: still a badass, isn't he?

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: