http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 02:07:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dungeons of Dredmor  (Read 5597 times)
Harkonis
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2011, 12:07:58 PM »

My dual shields guy is still trucking along.  broke 100,000 points and still going.  I will play more with him later, but going to try some other builds in the interim.

He's almost unkillable except when I do stupid things.  I've almost lost him 3 times due to stupid choices or misclicks.  Crazy high block and dodge rate along with equally high counterattack rate is very nice.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2011, 01:30:35 PM »

Is there a manual or a wiki or something?  I can't tell what all of the alchemy things are, or anything else really smile
Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2011, 03:56:39 PM »

Did you play through the tutorial?  That will show you the mechanics of everything. Recipies come from bookshelves populated throughout the dungeon.

This game is very much about experimenting and learning as you go really.  It's not like a regular RPG where you just play straight through.  You are meant to learn stuff, die, then start over.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2011, 05:14:20 PM »

I'm talking more specifically about 1) the alchemical items, where it doesn't say /anything/ about what they're for.  2) doing other recipes, where you don't know the stats on what you're making (although you can see the stats on anything else)
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2011, 06:51:50 PM »

Quote from: Zarkon on July 15, 2011, 05:14:20 PM

I'm talking more specifically about 1) the alchemical items, where it doesn't say /anything/ about what they're for.  2) doing other recipes, where you don't know the stats on what you're making (although you can see the stats on anything else)

I think that's kind of the point. You're supposed to dive into the unknown and experiment.
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2011, 11:34:16 PM »

Thanks for posting about this game! Bought it and am having lots of fun playing it. I guess at some point I should do the tutorial so I can figure out how to craft stuff, but having fun just wondering around killing stuff right now.

The stock sound for the tiny beasts is one of the most annoying sounds to ever come from a computer game so I found the SFX folder and replaced those sounds with meows from my wife, which is hilarious. Will probably be replacing the awful music soon too, but other than that, it's a great game.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2011, 03:20:20 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on July 15, 2011, 06:51:50 PM

Quote from: Zarkon on July 15, 2011, 05:14:20 PM

I think that's kind of the point. You're supposed to dive into the unknown and experiment.

It is the point, that's part of the fun of roguelikes.  Drinking that potion then finding out it's acid and eats you from the inside.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2011, 03:18:13 PM »

Holy crap! I just ran into my first zoo (on level 2), and it was absolutely insane. eek More than 40 monsters in one room, all heading straight for me and most of them being pretty powerful. Up to that point my character had felt somewhat overpowered and my inventory was full of useful items (mostly bolts for my crossbow), but after that room I had almost nothing left. When I first opened that door I never thought I'd survive, but somehow I did. smile

Smithing turned out to be a very useful skill to begin with. I got lucky and found some useful crafting components early on, enough to make myself a simple sword, make an improved version of it, and later put it on a magic anvil to add even more abilities. With that done, the entire first level of the dungeon became a cakewalk. Nothing could survive more than 2 blows from my sword. Level 2 is a bit harder, but still nothing extreme (except the zoo, of course).
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2011, 07:44:12 PM »

Hehe, I ran into a zoo last night too. Had a blast defeating all those baddies. Used the time honored exploit of running down some stairs, getting healthy, and running back up again. Tongue
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2011, 08:56:03 PM »

There are many subtle (and not so subtle) references to other games and settings in this game. One of the less obvious ones I've spotted is that the tileset on level 3 seems to be modeled after Doom 1. A funny one was the recipe for Grog, which is lifted straight from Monkey Island.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2011, 12:54:24 AM »

Burglary is a new favorite skill. Starter ability let's you make lock picks out of thin air, so you never run out. The next skill is a ranged single target root which works great. I haven't used the later powers, but there is a ninja vanish ability of some kind which I can't wait to try and a couple other sneaky things like being able to steal from the shop.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Abaddon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2011, 05:53:11 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on July 16, 2011, 08:56:03 PM

There are many subtle (and not so subtle) references to other games and settings in this game. One of the less obvious ones I've spotted is that the tileset on level 3 seems to be modeled after Doom 1. A funny one was the recipe for Grog, which is lifted straight from Monkey Island.
One of the Dual Wield skills says something like "Not Drizzt".

Anyone else found the Horadric Cube yet. biggrin
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2011, 06:28:38 AM »

Quote from: Abaddon on July 17, 2011, 05:53:11 AM

One of the Dual Wield skills says something like "Not Drizzt".

Anyone else found the Horadric Cube yet. biggrin

Oh yes, the Horadric Lutefisk Cube. I've used it a lot actually, particularly when low on inventory space and a long way from the shop.
Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2011, 12:02:58 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on July 17, 2011, 06:28:38 AM

Oh yes, the Horadric Lutefisk Cube. I've used it a lot actually, particularly when low on inventory space and a long way from the shop.

That brings up a question. I haven't figured out how to sell more than one item yet. I find the shops in their various locations (with the clownish guard who I can't interact with to sell). The only way I've been able to sell anything is to buy something first, then put an item that I want to sell on the empty platform that held the item I bought.

I'm sure I'm missing the obvious, but how do you sell multiple items?

Xbox Live: Sukaro
PSN: Suroka

Until I die I'll sing these songs on the shores of Babylon
Still looking for a home in a world where I belong

~Switchfoot
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2011, 01:21:26 PM »

Drop the items directly onto the salesman.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2011, 08:13:47 PM »

They're going to add the ability to Shift-Click an item directly to sell it.  Here are the other things they plan on adding in the next patch.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2011, 10:05:21 PM »

How can you tell if the game is updated on Steam?

earicci
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2011, 11:15:13 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on July 17, 2011, 10:05:21 PM

View the update history at the bottom right of the game page. This one has been updated twice since release on Stream (7/14 & 15)

Gamertag earicci on PS3 and Xbox 360
Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2011, 02:39:51 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on July 17, 2011, 01:21:26 PM

Drop the items directly onto the salesman.

Thank you TiLT! That is a huge help.   

Quote from: EddieA on July 17, 2011, 08:13:47 PM

They're going to add the ability to Shift-Click an item directly to sell it.  Here are the other things they plan on adding in the next patch.

Sweet!

~Switchfoot
Shinjin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2011, 03:15:32 PM »

I found a ring whose description mentioned that it was studded with Elerium-115 smile
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2011, 03:54:47 PM »

Quote from: earicci on July 17, 2011, 11:15:13 PM

View the update history at the bottom right of the game page. This one has been updated twice since release on Stream (7/14 & 15)

Let me clarify, I want to know if my local client is up to date, not simply if an update has been released. I lost a character the other day to the sound bug fixed in the first update and steam is supposedly set to keep the game updated. I can't tell what version I'm actually playing.

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 18, 2011, 04:12:04 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on July 18, 2011, 03:54:47 PM

Quote from: earicci on July 17, 2011, 11:15:13 PM

Let me clarify, I want to know if my local client is up to date, not simply if an update has been released. I lost a character the other day to the sound bug fixed in the first update and steam is supposedly set to keep the game updated. I can't tell what version I'm actually playing.

The version number is displayed in the bottom left-hand corner of the main screen - latest is 1.0.2.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Cortilian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2011, 08:23:00 PM »

I haven't gotten past level 1 yet but does your toons appearance ever change based on what he is wearing?  I want my full plate, dual shield basher to look like it.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 18, 2011, 10:26:33 PM »

Quote from: Cortilian on July 18, 2011, 08:23:00 PM

I haven't gotten past level 1 yet but does your toons appearance ever change based on what he is wearing?  I want my full plate, dual shield basher to look like it.

Sadly no, I really wanted to see my guy decked out in his traffic cone too.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2011, 12:54:09 PM »

not too bad of a game, but Ive run into a game stopping bug.  I open a door and step through a monster steps on a trap by the door and the game freezes up.  I have to crtl/alt/delete to get out of the game.  I restarted, went back and the exact same thing happened. 

Also Ive found an artifact item but its in the middle of a room on a square completely surrounded by water.  I can find no way to get to it.  Is this just a random placement thing and totally unobtainable or is there some way to cross water?

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2011, 01:51:45 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on July 19, 2011, 12:54:09 PM

Also Ive found an artifact item but its in the middle of a room on a square completely surrounded by water.  I can find no way to get to it.  Is this just a random placement thing and totally unobtainable or is there some way to cross water?

Not sure how many different ways there are but the Psionic skill gives you a force push that you can use to get things on "islands".

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2011, 01:52:08 PM »

There is a teleport spell in mathemancy and the dodge tree has a leap skill.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2011, 02:13:57 PM »

picked this up over the weekend, and having some fun with it.  about the only times I've died is when I've opend a door and found either a boss or too many creatures behind it.  I was happy that I found the shopkeeper by noticing the flavor text about cash register sounds popping up.  I may restart though, as I meant to make a thief/fighter but somehow forgot to select the burglar skill.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2011, 03:38:59 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 19, 2011, 02:13:57 PM

picked this up over the weekend, and having some fun with it.  about the only times I've died is when I've opend a door and found either a boss or too many creatures behind it.  I was happy that I found the shopkeeper by noticing the flavor text about cash register sounds popping up.  I may restart though, as I meant to make a thief/fighter but somehow forgot to select the burglar skill.

Bah, don't restart...just see it out and seek glorious death!
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2011, 05:31:53 PM »

Yeah, restarting is a bit silly in this game as you're going to die anyway. See how far you can go with your "flawed" build. That's part of the fun, and when you start over with your "improved" character, it'll feel more satisfying.

In other news, here I was, minding my own business. I had just gotten down to level 2 and was struggling a little with my barbarian/viking build. I mean, he was doing well, but he wasn't kicking total ass. Then I stumbled upon a zoo as one of the first things to happen on that dungeon level. Oh great, I thought. Another 50 monsters to kill. I guess I can handle this. Then I looked at the monster counter.

150 fricking monsters in one room! Many of them were bosses that would have been challenging or outright deadly if encountered alone. I ran for my life, killing what I could as I escaped towards the stairs. Madness!

I'm sort of hoping that zoos will be a toggle in a later patch. I mean, they are fun and all, but they are also a bit tedious since it takes a while to plow through all the enemies.
Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2011, 08:06:11 PM »

Well, this is disappointing.

I played a little this morning. A little while after I quit, I noticed a Steam message that Dungeons of Dredmor had finished downloading (an update, apparently, that ironically is supposed to fix crashes).

Now, when I launch the game, I cannot load my save file. When I do the game closes (I got an achievement for it, "Suddenly the Dungeon Collapses," as a booby prize). I've even tried to start a new game and save it to see if that helps. When I do that, I can load the new game save file, but not my previous game save file. What's disappointing is that I was moving along through floor 5 and was about to turn in two quests that I had finished. frown

It's not a huge deal. I suppose I can just treat it like he died, but he won't be on my scoreboard now, and I hate to lose all that progress when I wasn't killed in game.

~Switchfoot
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2011, 08:54:09 PM »

yeah, looking at their forums people are saying the latest patch breaks saves.  I may have to start Steam in offline mode and turn off autoupdate for the game if I want to stick with my flawed build.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2011, 09:14:36 PM »

There was a warning ahead of time on QT3 about the saves breaking.  I guess it should have been echoed here.  I went ahead and played to death (literally) all my saves before the update.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2011, 10:03:07 PM »

According to a blog post at the developer's website, the saves are still good; they just won't currently load.  They've said there's a patch coming today that will fix the problem and let you load your saved games.

First off, the good news. We have managed to fix the save file issue, and we will have a patch in your hands tomorrow. So hold onto them.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2011, 02:33:01 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on July 20, 2011, 10:03:07 PM

According to a blog post at the developer's website, the saves are still good; they just won't currently load.  They've said there's a patch coming today that will fix the problem and let you load your saved games.

First off, the good news. We have managed to fix the save file issue, and we will have a patch in your hands tomorrow. So hold onto them.

Excellent news. I had grown fond of my little guy. I'm glad I'll get to play him some more.

The upside to the (temporarily) broken saves was that I was forced to trying a few different builds. I'm digging Astrology. The Radiant Aura is a great little spell to keep weaker characters alive in the early going. The various magic skills all look pretty cool.

~Switchfoot
map

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 22, 2011, 01:08:09 PM »

My saves worked before the patch. Now post patch they won't load.

Save America, shoot your television.
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 22, 2011, 06:34:32 PM »

Quote from: map on July 22, 2011, 01:08:09 PM

My saves worked before the patch. Now post patch they won't load.

Post patch patch? Mine broke post patch but then the new patch patched them back into working.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 22, 2011, 07:34:17 PM »

With the latest patch (7/22) my saves are working again.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: July 22, 2011, 08:04:51 PM »

After my first three characters, all of who were melee characters, I finally decided to try a pure mage. His skills are Staff-fighting, Mathemagic, Astrology, Promethean Magic, Magic Training, Blood Magic and Ley Lines. He's currently level 10 and very specialized, focusing on massive damage with his fireballs as well as strong magic power and mana regeneration through Blood Magic, Magic Training and Ley Lines. He's incredibly dangerous. I'm on level 4 and churning through opposition like it's butter. I'm actually looking forward to monster zoos (the last one I encountered I cleaned out in about 6-7 turns). Mana is almost never a problem. I can fire off several fireballs upon entering a room, and by the time I leave it I'm fully recharged. I've only drunk one or two mana restoration drinks, as most of the time I don't really need them. I've focused my items on these skills as well, with particular attention to mana regeneration. It's at a level now where killing one single enemy will cause me to regenerate 1 mana every turn for 10 turns. Even if I haven't just killed an enemy, I still regenerate 1 mana every other turn. It's insane!

I'm sort of dreading going back to a melee character now, but I suppose I'll have to once this guy dies (or wins. Yeah, right!). My next character will be a rogue of some kind. 
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 22, 2011, 08:32:16 PM »

the fireball is being fixed soon, enjoy while you can.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: