http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 08:15:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dungeons and Dragons: Heroes was seriously underrated  (Read 1226 times)
DiamondDecision
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: July 24, 2004, 02:24:51 PM »

It's a shame that D&D: Heroes got mediocre reviews.  I think because BG was due out soon, it got brushed over as a response.

I've been playing it with my kids,,, all 3 of us on the screen at once with just one big screen (!!!!!) and just having a stinkin blast.  What a great game!!!!!

The BG games for the consoles were just awful in comparison.  Heroes was soooooo much better.

It's also blasphemy to put the glorious words "Baldur's Gate" on the two games that came out for the consoles.  ;-)
denoginizer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2004, 04:05:34 PM »

I agree.  Although the first BG game was not bad, D&D Heroes was superior.  The best of this type is Champions of Norath for the PS2 though.  Online multiplayer and randomized dungeons.  Also the amount of items available is staggering.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2004, 09:11:17 PM »

I don't know...  I haven't been able to locate a copy of Norrath so my friend and I started Heroes.  It's not a bad game, the amount we have played, but the controls and magic system seem more limited, especially compared to BG:DA2.

We are finding it to be more difficult, mostly due to the way death is handled.  The checkpoints (you can save wherever, but load at these) are further apart and you don't respawn when the other player touches them.  You can reload a character from the last save or use an over-priced amulet.  I don't like the skeleton keys, either.

Based on the reviews I have read I wasn't expecting much from the game, but we are enjoying it so far.  I don't think it is as good as the others yet (there just isn't a lot happening in the story), but that could change.  Certainly not the bad game the reviews made it out to be and well worth the $20 I paid for it.

One thing that is REALLY nice is that, like in Gauntlet, I believe you can load a character at any time.  So, DD, if one of your sons wants to play and the other can't, the one that is left out can rejoin with you at a later point in the game.  I'm pretty sure it looked like this is possible, but I could be wrong.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2004, 01:52:35 AM »

I finished D&D Heroes. I felt it was mediocre at best. It's not horrible, but I think I just don't care for that genre of games on the console that much. Dark alliance was fun, but these kinds of games get too repetative for my tastes.

I was bored of Heroes long before it finished.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2004, 08:19:03 PM »

Quote from: "DragonFyre"
I was bored of Heroes long before it finished.

Don't even touch Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel then. That was one of those games I had to force myself to finish for review after about the 5 hour mark.

Norrath is by far the best of the hack-and-slash games available out there in my opinion.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: