http://gamingtrend.com
August 31, 2014, 02:44:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dungeon Siege II Review is UP  (Read 3992 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: August 16, 2005, 04:44:34 PM »

We've got our review of Dungeon Siege II up on the front page.  Questions?  Comments? Agree?  Disagree?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Farscryold
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 05:22:54 PM »

Good review; I'm teetering towards a purchase on this one for many reasons.  I've enjoyed what I've played of the demo so far, and find it more compelling than the original (I've tried twice to play through the original, both times I got too bored to push on at the ice caves).

My big challenge though is that the control system is completely unintuitive for combat so far; it's very different from the original, which isn't necessarily bad, but I'm just having a hard time managing my (so far) two-man party.  Frequently one character will run off-screen, or they'll be attacking people I don't expect, and it's particularly tough to get my main guy to target & fight well with the fire spell (I'd like to develop him as a combat mage).

It's probably just me, and if the controls feel more intuitive with time, I'd have to say that this appears more interesting and fun to me than the original, and will probably be worth a purchase.  I love the music, especially the nods to the main theme from the first one, and the dialogue is actually entertaining, as well as great graphics and sound as well.  smile
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 05:25:27 PM »

Not sure if I want to drop $50 on this as I liked the first overall but not allot. This maybe a wait for a GoGamer sale title...then again its real dry now for PC games coming out this whole summer.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2005, 08:39:00 PM »

Going to read it now!

ps  is there any particular reason you didn't provide a direct link in your post?  just curious
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2005, 10:10:20 PM »

Not particularly. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Scuba-V
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2005, 10:29:13 PM »

It requires Windows XP?  Lame.

Who reads these anyway?
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2005, 10:40:31 PM »

Farscry, if your party members are running away on their own then you are in Rampage mode. I believe it's "G" on the keyboard. "F" puts them in Mirror mode where the entire party only attacks what you click on. Pets however, seem to ignore that.

You can also hold "C" down while attacking to hold your party and attack from a fixed position.

Hope that helps.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2005, 10:43:51 PM »

If and when I get the money Im getting Neverwinter Nights Platinum instead. Might download DS2 since I feel they ripped me off from full price on the first one smile

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2005, 11:04:20 PM »

Quote from: "Scuba-V"
Not like Dungeon Siege 2 is worth upgrading to XP for, but as a gamer, why the hell wouldn't you have WinXP by now?

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2005, 12:23:48 AM »

I have a question regarding the review:

It mentions no formations(BOO! to the developers), but how about if you arrange your party the way you want, then set them on 'mirror'.  Would they all keep their places as they moved?  Or does 'mirror' only affect combat but not movement.

I liked being able to march my party in various formations.

Also, how big of a headache did the save game system turn out to be?  I'm the kinda person who thinks wasting even a few seconds due to a lame save game system is a game ruining event.

Finally, regarding loot:

Do you wind up getting alot of gear you can't use due to skill and/or level limitations?  Or do you pretty much get stuff you can equip right away?

Thanks.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2005, 01:01:48 AM »

Nice review. Iam going to get it as soon as I see it on sale. Funds are a little tight right now, but I am very excited for it!
DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2005, 01:50:16 AM »

Answers for Gameoverman:

You can move character portraits to line them up in a certain order, but there is only one basic 2 by 2 line formation. You can use the bracket keys to expand them out a little, or bring them in tighter. There is a Defend mode but I have not hotkeyed that yet. ( Basically because I haven't found the need to )
Mirror and Rampage mode do not affect the 2 by 2 line formation it only controls how they react to NPC enemies.

I don't know what people mean by "headache" for the game saves?
You get one save that just overwrites the previous. I haven't found it to be an issue. The game does prevent you from trying to go back in time if your party wipes. I feel this is a good thing because the other way is kind of "care bear" in my opinion. If you wipe you wipe.

There is a ton of loot in this game, and it will not always drop what you need, but there is just so much it is not an issue. Nature Mage at level 1 or 2 I believe has the transmute spell so you can convert them to $$$ in the field if you want. PS You can level any character up to 3 or 4 in any skill fairly quickly if you need them to do one thing like this. Also, you get the set items fairly early on in the game. Be prepared to level each char to melee level 3 to take advantage of the yellow amulet that goes to a set.

I am even further into the game now ( Act II ) and the forest area really shows off the graphics well.

I plan on starting over as a Combat Mage and letting my Warrior dual wield to check that stuff out.

I find the game very fun, and the storyline is very good. It's just not to difficult in the combat arena.

unbreakable
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2005, 01:55:41 AM »

Good review.  Now my decision to skip this game is cemented.
Scuba-V
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2005, 05:13:41 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Not like Dungeon Siege 2 is worth upgrading to XP for, but as a gamer, why the hell wouldn't you have WinXP by now?

I'm only 20, so way back when, my dad bought Windows 98 and sometime later got Windows 98 SE from someone.  With Win98 you can use one CD to install it on as many computers as you want.  With me home from school that makes 4 in our household (plus one acting as a gateway), so its nice.  When all the later Windows, including XP, came out we saw no reason to pay more money when everything we were using worked perfectly fine.  Especially when XP came out and you had to pay for each computer you had it would have been a complete waste of money.  It only costs maybe $50-60 for XP now, but I've been using Windows 98 SE all these years with zero compatibility issues, and it has a side benefit that there are some viruses etc.  that are only tailored toward XP.  So why should I upgrade and throw away money, except if games are just now starting to require XP?  Especially to Microsoft, as a monopoly they don't need more money.

Who reads these anyway?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2005, 06:19:13 AM »

WinXP SP1 according to the box, to be exact. biggrin

And Scuba - technically, you can install that Win98 on only one computer. While there are no checks and balances to see if you did (unlike WinXP), that's what's supposed to happen.

And in addition - Microsoft has completely stopped support of Win98 last year (or so). No more Direct X upgrades nor OS patches anymore.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2005, 06:56:14 AM »

Quote from: "DamageInc"
Answers for Gameoverman:
I don't know what people mean by "headache" for the game saves?

I can live with one save IF it saves where I left off.  That bit about only reloading back in the last town or starting point is what I was wondering about.  In other words, worst case scenario, exactly how much time can I expect to waste running back to where I left off last time I saved?
Tampa_Gamer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2005, 11:26:59 AM »

I agree on the save game system - this is a real issue for me.  If I need to shutdown for a couple of hours or so to let my daughter use the computer and then load up later on that night, I am penalized somehow? What is the logic in that?  I can see making it an ironman mode, that does not bother me, but I find it very disorienting to not start exactly where I left off. I assume the release version is similar to the demo in this respect?  Any talk on the main DS2 boards that they will fix this in a patch?

No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country.
-General George S. Patton
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2005, 12:39:12 PM »

Its not something that bad really.  If you save and quit you bounce back to town but there are teleporters to whisk you back to that area.  I'd say at most you'll lose 3-4 minutes maximum.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2005, 01:05:01 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
Its not something that bad really.  If you save and quit you bounce back to town but there are teleporters to whisk you back to that area.  I'd say at most you'll lose 3-4 minutes maximum.

Well, it depends on where exactly the last teleporter was. While in the beginning at least, you're no longer than say 5-10 minutes tops away from a teleporter spot (if you happen to quit right before you find another one), you do have to refight through all the mobs you killed (as the save doesn't save the world state itself).

It's a good thing though - more experience, more items, and all the potion 'hotspots' respawn.

But beyond that, Ron is right. It's a weird save system, but it greatly discourages the 'save and reload if something goes wrong' feature that most games have nowadays. That was what the devs were going for with the save feature.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2005, 01:19:53 PM »

I'm in Act II now, and the teleporters are placed in just the right spots.
Typically after completing some big event. Some teleporters are located in the dungeons. The Elven Ruins Dungeon has one at the end, and the Temple of Xeria has one as well.

Like Ron stated it's really a non-issue. I think at most it has taken me a couple of minutes to get back to where I was. The NPCs do respawn, but usually you have leveled a bit, and you can mow them down pretty quickly.

RaptorRed
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2005, 02:51:18 PM »

Future Shop has it on sale for $39.00 Thursday only.

I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2005, 06:43:38 PM »

"you do have to refight through all the mobs you killed (as the save doesn't save the world state itself). "
Did they change this from the demo?  In the demo, most enemies stayed dead when you reloaded.  They do respawn, but slowly, so when running back through an area, there were only a few enemies, as opposed to the large numbers the first time through.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2005, 07:07:41 PM »

Never played the demo but I think you are right Eddie.  It doesn't seem to be ALL of the enemies, just some.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2005, 03:39:00 AM »

Just so stupid. I really can't imagine why they decided to make the save system incorporate every stupid-ass backwards 1999 Diablo2 design. Blah. Anyways, still buying smile
Ranulf
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2005, 06:30:16 AM »

XP only isn't exactly true. The demo ran fine for me with win2k SP4.  biggrin

Anyway, I hate to break to folks with win98 but its 7 years old. Its not gonna always run the latest games, pick up an upgrade disk and be welcomed into the future. XP is infiniately more stable than 98, especially with gaming.

As for DS2, the demo showed me that the save game system, the corn ball voice acting, and the horrible avatars/character graphics have made this a gogamer sale deal 6-12 months from now if ever. The demo did make me want to reinstall NWN though.
DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2005, 02:16:57 PM »

You may be able to run it on other OSs, but the game was designed solely for WinXP ( someone stated the box says XP SP1 and higher ).

All that means is that you will not receive any support for issues that arise from running it on a differnet OS.

Dunamis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2005, 09:56:27 PM »

For those of you in the South and West, Fry's has Dungeon Siege II for $34.99.  You can always do what I do and take the add (usually on the back of the sports page) to Best Buy or Circuit City and have them price match it.

I did this yesterday at Best Buy.

I only do two things; kick ass and chew bubblegum.  Right now, I'm all out of bubblegum...
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2005, 10:03:35 PM »

Doesn't CC actually beat a price, not just pricematch?

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2005, 11:36:08 PM »

I'm trying to like this game but the save/respawn system is really annoying.  If you die you respawn back in town but without the gear you were using.  So you have to re-equip with what you have, teleport out to the nearest teleporter to where you died, return to the spot you died facing some re-spawned enemies along the way, and then defeat the enemies that killed you last time.  You automatically pick up your corpse gear right as you get close, but it doesn't remember what you were using so it just makes it's own judgements and you get some mish mash of what you have, always including the replacement weapon instead of whay your were using when you died.  Then, if you win the rematch, you have to go into inventory for each party member and maximize their gear again.  It's too much work if you are dying more than once in awhile.

To be honest, it reminds me a lot of an MMORPG.  If I wanted one of those I'd play one.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2005, 01:07:25 AM »

You can pay the "Death" guy 25% of you gold at the town and you will get all your gear back in the correct spots. Money really isn't an issue in this game so I typically do that. I only had a party wipe twice up to Act 2. Once was my first encounter with a mimic, and the other in a crypt in the desert where level 28 and 29 NPCs spawned, and my party's average level was 16.

The "Death" guy usually hangs near you static inventory chest.

They did make it so you pay a price either way if you die.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2005, 11:38:36 AM »

You can also set up inventory hotkeys that remember what you have equiped and will swap between outfits.
DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2005, 02:30:43 PM »

Further clarification.

"Death Guy" is actually called "Necromancer" in the game, and has a gravestone icon above his head.

Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2005, 02:31:44 PM »

Quote from: "Arkon"
You can also set up inventory hotkeys that remember what you have equiped and will swap between outfits.

How do you do that?  and also, how do you switch (with keys) between your current weapons (e.g. bow, icebolt, lesser heal) that you have equipped?  What am I missing?  

Admittedly, I've put in very little effort to find this out so far.

Edit:

NM, figured it out.  Here's a thread on it:
http://www.forumplanet.com/planetdungeonsiege/topic.asp?fid=6193&tid=1717641

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
Dunamis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2005, 08:46:39 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Doesn't CC actually beat a price, not just pricematch?

I think (but could be wrong) that is only if you already bought it at CC and then brought the add in later (up to so many days later.)  I think they give you back 110% of the difference.  Otherwise, they just match it on the spot.

On a $50 game that you can buy for $35 elsewhere, they would give you back $16.50 ($15.00 + $1.50 (10% of the difference)).  It's probably easier to just get them to price match up front (like I did) then come back later and get your extra $1.50.  Probably cost more than that in gas...

I only do two things; kick ass and chew bubblegum.  Right now, I'm all out of bubblegum...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: