http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 11:19:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dungeon Siege II: Anyone care?  (Read 26835 times)
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED
Gaming Trend Senior Member

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #240 on: August 31, 2005, 01:54:05 PM »

Quote from: "Rage"
Quote from: "Daehawk"
Ugh that would be a horrible mod. Im finding the game just right for now. I never understood the need to make a game unfun difficult.

Nor do I man, but there are always people that think they are "uber" or something like that because they enjoy inflicting pain on themselves.
Gas Powered Games left code for Easy, Medium, and Hard difficulty modes in Dungeon Siege 2, it's just disabled is all.  I think there's talk that difficulty modes will be officially re-enabled next patch.

I still haven't played yet, but I'm interested in difficulty mods because the main complaint I keep reading in reviews is that the game is too easy.  I don't want something retardedly difficult, but I don't want a cakewalk either.  I also don't want item drops to be correlated to difficulty settings -- I want me some phat lewt!

If the game gets harder in Act 2-3, though, I might just ignore difficulty for the time being and just play.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: August 31, 2005, 03:53:01 PM »

Finished it last night.  Great game, okay ending.  The last couple chapters of Act 3 get pretty crazy with the mobs.  I can't imagine what it would have been like if I had installed a mod to make it even harder.  I thought getting to Valdis was a challenge, but actually beating him was pretty easy.  I might try the next difficulty level, but it won't be for awhile.

glyc

jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: September 02, 2005, 12:58:25 AM »

I just finished it also, what a fun game!  I ended up with a 42 Sword and Shield tank, 41 Duel Wield tank, 42 Sharpshooter, and a 42 Nature Mage.

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #243 on: September 02, 2005, 02:07:49 PM »

Ok, I finally got to playing this last night.  Spent about an hour with it, looks cool so far.  I'm playing a Combat + Nature Mage.  A couple things:

-My melee buddy's Super Ryuken Power Skill or whatever seems to recharge a hell of alot faster than mine, though the manual says the Powers recharge just by fightning normally, with spells or physical weapons.  What's up with that?

-Gravity Well, the first Nature Magic Power, seems utterly worthless.

-The skill tree is bizarre and sort of overpowered -- why does it start with awesome skills that add like +10% damage for all Combat Magic, or reduce the casting cost of all spells, but then taper off into ultra-specialized lines?  It's like they took the Diablo 2 skill trees, which started specific and of somewhat limited application and worked their way into huge passive buffs, and turned them on their head.

-I don't know if I like the lack of an Identifying mechanic.  On one hand, it really cuts out an often obnoxious process for mundane items.  On the other hand, you lose the anticipation and rush of that final click before you identify the fancy Yellow item you just picked up.

-Voice acting is pretty good, though the evil grunts or whatever sound pretty dumb -- it's like they couldn't decide whether to follow in the Warhammer/Warcraft line of the humorous Orcs or just go for a flat-out malicious tone.

-Item labels are hella-hard to read and click on to pick up at 1280x800.

-Graphics aren't bad, but I honestly can't tell any difference when Shaders are in off, basic, or advanced mode.

-In this first forest/jungle setting, it's often difficult to pick out my characters and the enemy onscreen -- I wish the colors were brighter and the graphics 'crisper.'

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: September 02, 2005, 04:06:11 PM »

Melee characters have a skill that increases thier power set regens.

Hit Z to pick everything up.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #245 on: September 02, 2005, 04:14:15 PM »

Melee characters have a skill that increases thier power set regens.

Ah.

Hit Z to pick everything up.
I know.  It's still a bitch on the eyes to try and read those labels, though.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 02, 2005, 05:10:58 PM »

I picked this up despite not liking the demo.

The full version is better than the demo, yay.  However.  There are some things that really irritate me.

1) Save system.  WTF!  Its not a console game.  Its not a console port.  Why no save anywhere, a REAL save anywhere where, when you load, you appear where you were when you saved?

2) Interface/Resolution.  OK at 1600x1200 the interface does not scale AT ALL.  Holy christ, stuff is TINY.  Ridiculous, inexcusable for a big budget title.  Also the character select/options screens are fixed at 800x600.  This is ugly.  No one noticed?

3) Graphics.  The first DS had graphics I thought were badass, they were a strength of a game badly in need of more strengths.  Here, they are very underwhelming, almost bad.

4) Pathing.  GRR.  Why does pathing blow in all party based games like this?  Also, who thought moving platforms in town were a good idea given the bad pathing.  30% of the time my party of 4 will leave someone behind when I click a lever to move a platform.  In combat its bad too, melees will sometimes take the long way to a monster for one swing, then take the long way back around to the other side for the next swing.

Anyway.  Its better than the first DS overall, no doubt in my mind.  A good Action RPG overall.

olaf
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #247 on: September 02, 2005, 05:19:32 PM »

I noticed you can turn the game speed down.  Anyone tried this?  It's not like the action is difficult or too frentic, but with everything in the jungle being camo-colored, it's hard to aim as a combat mage, and my melee buddy seems to zip around the screen faster than I can realize what he's up to.  Is the speed slightly tweakable, or does it do something drastic like halve or quarter the game speed?

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Farscryold
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: September 02, 2005, 07:26:55 PM »

I'm pretty sure the speed change is in 10 percent increments, at least in the options it is.  I'm thinking about dropping mine to .9 or .8 since, like you, it'd give me more response time for aiming with my mage.  I often pause, but the music stops when you pause.

Silly, I know, but it disrupts me a lot for some reason.  *shrugs*
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: September 02, 2005, 08:56:21 PM »

In the readme it says that you cant change the game's speed despite what the back of the manual says.

olaf
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #250 on: September 03, 2005, 01:21:50 AM »

Quote from: "olaf"
In the readme it says that you cant change the game's speed despite what the back of the manual says.

olaf
Yeah, the commands on the back of the manual don't work.

Is there a button to cycle the weapon/spell you're using?  It's so obnoxious for me as a combat mage to have to manually click on Dehydrate then manually click on Fire Burst...

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: September 04, 2005, 12:28:31 AM »

I think the "F" keys are mapped to do that LE-I am just not sure which ones-check the control config thing in game-that lists the correct controls.

On a side note-my save games survived my minor disaster, an amazing gift from the computer gods that hate my guts. I should be able to start playing again tonight.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #252 on: September 04, 2005, 02:05:26 AM »

Well I was going to play a Combat/Nature mage, but because of the extremely limited spell slots, I've decided to restart.

While GPG clearly learned alot in the time betwen DS1 and DS2, they didn't learn enough...

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: September 04, 2005, 02:29:10 AM »

Yeah the spells kind of frustrate me.

My guy is a melee.  I got a Dire Wolf.  I use the Archer Dryad chick and the Nature Dryad chick.  Level 20ish.

There are a lot of cool spells but its a pain to micromanage them with as fast paced as the game's combat is.

olaf
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 04, 2005, 03:46:49 AM »

I just got that purple mace that does 71 damage.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: September 04, 2005, 07:32:24 PM »

I just got that purple mace that does 71 damage.

Picture please Dae-Im going to post my guys later tonight-Lothar almost has the full Lorethal's Set!!
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: September 04, 2005, 08:21:49 PM »

Heres a pic of the mace

And heres a pic of my archer's portable catapult smile

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 05, 2005, 04:59:34 AM »

Hol-y Sh-it Dae. Money!! HOpefully one of these days I will actually, you know, get playing again.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: September 05, 2005, 06:54:07 AM »

I never buy anything except potions. The stores really suck. I think the biggest thing I bought was a set of magic chainmail in the first town.

gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: September 05, 2005, 07:27:09 AM »

I haven't been able to play the last couple of days(hence no new pics) but last I played, I had gotten to the point I've read about- I have nothing to spend my gold on.

The gear in the Aman'lu shops is fine, just not good enough for me to justify buying it.  My guys are outfitted with the best of everything in those shops, in addition to the choice items they've found.  The last purchases I made before my last save were rings and amulets, that's how desperate I am to spend gold- I'm buying 'bling' for them!

The 'stock' in the shops doesn't change as much as I had hoped.  I see the same basic armours and weapons over and over again.  However the quality of the loot is constantly getting better, so that's cool.

Damn, you got some nice stuff there Daehawk!
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: September 05, 2005, 06:28:34 PM »

Thanks. I just cleared out the Morden city in act3. Im about ready to go win the ninth round in the arena. im curious to what ill get. Been wondering since i found that arena.

The 3rd town's stuff is'nt any better than the other two im afraid. Does  have some really nice double potions though. So far act 3 has seemed easier and shorter than the others. The monsters are tougher but the maps are easier.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 06, 2005, 04:49:29 AM »

Heres my latest pic. Everyone has gone through armor and weapon changes for the most part. I have over half a million gold. I had about that much just before I completed the lvl 9 and champion rounds of the arena. Lvl 9 token cost 15000 and the champion round one is either 20 or 25000. So made that back just on the fights.

I like my mage's flame patterned robe. Bling bling hehe. Oh the reward for finishing the arena is being able to buy a light niad. I passed. And I found that mysterious token in the reward chest. goes with the mysterious bucket helm. Theres one other mysterious stone i think. Not sure what they do.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 06, 2005, 04:57:51 AM »

Daehawk do you know anything about the save games? I have them in the correct folder (from before the recent format) and a reinstalled Dungeon Siege 2-unfortunately, when I boot up the game it refuses to find my save games!!! If I start a new game it saves it in the same folder as my old ones, but still won't let me play them. I really doubt I have the stomach to start over and do 15 hours of this again, so if I cant recover them I might be done until I decide for a replay frown I'm pretty bummed out about it.

Your characters look awesome though smile
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: September 06, 2005, 05:38:08 AM »

With the crazy save sytem this game uses Im not certain.Did you use the same name for your main character? It mighta overwritten the old saves. If you had them somewhere else and moved them then if its not the same name character it will not load the old saves. Theres a file in the directory where you can see the save and screenshots folder called dungeonsiege2.ini. In it there are two lines that in mine say

sp_active_party = BOK
sp_last_saved_party = BOK

So Im thinking if you make a new guy and name him the same as your old then..THEN copy over the saves it will load it up. Or you might edit that file to be the name of your new guy and copy over the old saves and that may work.

GL with it.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #264 on: September 06, 2005, 01:39:55 PM »

I have both a laptop and a PC I play this game on, and all I did was copy over the entire folder in My Documents (found in the My Games folder inside that) to my PC (or vice versa). Worked perfectly.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #265 on: September 06, 2005, 02:28:55 PM »

I'm nearing the end of Act 1 and I'm really enjoying the game so far.  I love how all the zones have mysterious areas that suggest coming back later with a different party member or talent.  It lends a real sense of exploration being 'worth' something without being game-breaking.

While my opinion of the game is overwhelmingly positive, there are still a few niggles worth pointing out:

-Henchman AI is pretty crappy in that the characters are obsessed with 'clinging' to you.  I wish there was a way to turn the auto-follow on or off, so I could, say, flank an enemy, or split the party up to fight on two fronts.

-You can't click-and-hold to move.  God this is obnoxious.

-Why in God's name can't Left-Click be move+attack and right-click be skill/spell, like it is in every Action-RPG Diablo-clone known to man?  Stuff like that is practically part of the Action-RPG GENOME, you can't just not have it!!

-Not only is there no Left-Click move+attack / Right-Click spell functionality, there's no fucking hotkey to cycle through your spellbar!  Have fun pausing every fifteen seconds to swap active skills.

-Two, count 'em, TWO autocast slots.  Totally unacceptable considering the numer of buffs/heals/curses in the game.  Every spell should have an autocast toggle.

-There are some imbalances.  Firstly, some of the powers flat-out suck, like Gravity Stone or that Ranger knockback.  Secondly, some skill lines are just flat-out better than others -- take Dual Wield compared to Two-Handed weapons, for example.  Dual Wielding has no damage or to-hit penalty to begin with, so unless you have a Faster or better 2-Hander that also does as much damage as the two best one-handers added together you can find, you're at a disadvantage.  And just a hint -- the itemization doesn't help here, twohanders aren't overwhelmingly powerful compared to one handers -- they have roughly 1.5x the damage, not the necessary 2.0x or greater.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: September 06, 2005, 02:43:43 PM »

Although its not complete control, "F" and "G" toggle Mirror Mode and Rampage Mode Rampage Mode allows them to pick their targets at will.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #267 on: September 06, 2005, 02:49:31 PM »

Quote from: "DamageInc"
Although its not complete control, "F" and "G" toggle Mirror Mode and Rampage Mode Rampage Mode allows them to pick their targets at will.
I know.  The problem is, if you then left-click to move, they'll often stop what they're doing and move right along with you to the point you clicked on.  Useful if you're retreating, an effing PITA if you're trying to line up one of the cone-based attacks.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 06, 2005, 04:58:30 PM »

Ah yes this is true, moving breaks all previous commands or actions.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: September 06, 2005, 07:35:28 PM »

You can have your party wait while you move only one guy. Im not sure they will fight if you leave them though.

My big gripe is my melee guy will go these crazy routes to mobs right in front of him. he'll pass them up and either come back or stay way over there by himself and I have to retarget. Its very annoying when he does this near a bunch of guys. He should just hit the one i want but he has to go way around or past him just to grab the other 10 standing a ways off ratehr than fight just the one.

gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: September 06, 2005, 11:25:49 PM »

One thing I really like about this game is that it gives you alot of positive feedback, hehe.  I played for not even 15 minutes and this dropped, right in front of that guy who wants the deathmasks of his brothers:

This is a picture of my battle with the Wizard, Barney takes him for a wild ride:

The loot, especially gold, is REALLY dropping like crazy now.  I'm in Snowbrook valley and I literally have every party member totally loaded down with stuff.  I spent about 35k gold, after selling everything, to buy stuff to feed Barney.  By our next outing he will be in the Mature category.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: September 07, 2005, 12:48:29 AM »

And I looked, and behold a brown donkey: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: September 07, 2005, 01:15:28 AM »

Im trying out a new dual weapon set i just got from the assasin quest. Its a pair of matching words. One a long sword the other a short sword. Since they are a complete set unto themselves I get a full set bonus.

Named too smile They have a lower max damage by about 20 but a larger min damage of about 40. plus I lose a few str and other stats. but might be worth it.

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: September 07, 2005, 02:54:32 AM »

I have sword envy now. Tongue
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: September 07, 2005, 03:08:59 AM »

Nice freaking weapons Dae.

Update on the savegames. I'm completely fucked. I forgot to back the folder up before I tried your suggestion Daehawk-so when I created a new guy with the same name, guess what??? It overwrote my previous files!! Yay!!! Fuck me running!!! Anyways, I thought I might have kept the files on the other HDD from the format, but I can't find them. So I am screwed. Roughly 15 hours near the end of Act II just completely freaking wasted.

I don't really feel like redoing all that work just to get back to where I was, so I guess I am just giving up for now-maybe in a few months or a few weeks I will get the desire back and restart, but for now..I am just too damned frustrated for words.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: September 07, 2005, 03:27:16 AM »

I could give you mine but Im near the end of act 3I think. Im in the mines where the shadow mages are supposed to be.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: September 07, 2005, 05:48:09 AM »

I could give you mine but Im near the end of act 3I think. Im in the mines where the shadow mages are supposed to be.

I appreciate it but Im only at the end of act2. If anyone has a savegame around that time-anywhere about halfway or more through act 2 and your guy is melee and doesn't have an objectionable name-Rage would be indebted to you if you could help me out. Thanks.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: September 07, 2005, 06:11:42 AM »

Well I have a strange bug/problem now. At least I think its a bug. I have 2 summoned pets at once now ever since I went into the Ancient's Water Trial. So I have a 6 person party now. It may be gone tomorrow when i load the game back up but it was handy tonight.

One summoned is normal and acts normal. It gets on lifts with me and follows me through portals and such. The other refuses to ride lifts but will POP into existance wherever I end up. If I enter a portal then it poofs and my mage resummons it when we arrive.

Heres a pic.

gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 07, 2005, 07:06:57 AM »

Rage, I'm just past the dragon part.  I got the stone to portal to the next town.  Most of the secondary Act II quests are still not done.  If you're interested in my savegames let me know.

edit: my party is about lvl 34, two melee(shield one handed and dual wield), one combat mage and one pack mule.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #279 on: September 07, 2005, 02:23:35 PM »

Quote from: "Rage"

I appreciate it but Im only at the end of act2. If anyone has a savegame around that time-anywhere about halfway or more through act 2 and your guy is melee and doesn't have an objectionable name-Rage would be indebted to you if you could help me out. Thanks.
I can give you mine when I get there.  My party is:

-What (main character) -- Dragoon (Melee/Combat Mage).  Focus on 2-Handers (with points into the Dual Wield branch to get the attack speed skills) and Death Magic.

-Sup (Dire Wolf) -- Currently working on Tier 3 or 4 of maturity.

-Nature Mage NPC dryad chick.

-Archer NPC dryad chick.

Currently at the end of Act 1, soon to be in 2...

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: