http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 08:03:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dungeon Siege II: Anyone care?  (Read 26954 times)
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 29, 2005, 11:43:47 AM »

Well, I am almost at the end of Act III.  My main is a sword and board fighter.  I then have Eva who is dual wielding.  Deru my nature mage and Finala my combat mage.  Finala dies very easily as does Eva and Deru, tho not as quickly as Finala.  While my main does very low damage he is nearly unkillable.  I just finished a morden area where I got jumped by two boss characters and multiple flunkies.  In the first 15 seconds Eva, Deru and Finala died before I ever got a chance to provoke everything on to my tank.  So I switched to my AOE attack and took out a large portion of the minions.  Then I switched to my pitiful 50pt heal and healed up deru until she regained consciousness at which point my provoke was back up and I provoked everything on to me just to make sure deru survived.  Deru then healed up Eva and Finala and we finished the battle.  Right now I have everyone pretty well equipped.  My shield on my main gives me 121 armor, +64% armor as a bonus on the shield, then +102% from barricade.  My shield gives me more armor basically then any of my other characters have in total.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: August 29, 2005, 01:40:19 PM »

So is there anyone in here who hated Dungeon Siege but likes Dungeon Siege 2?  All this talk sounds favorable and interesting, but I'm not sure if you guys like the first game or not (I remember you saying you did, Rage, but I'm not sure about the rest).

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 29, 2005, 01:44:59 PM »

I liked DS1 for the early going but never finished it.  I am enjoying DS2 way more than I ever did with DS1.  The speciaty system is a nice addition for specializing characters.  You actually have to watch aggro as different monsters will get enraged with a character if they use a potin for example or pick up loot.  I have to think about what I am doing in combat.  While the starting difficulty isn't overly difficult, Act III is starting to kick my butt.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 29, 2005, 04:41:16 PM »

I only like DS1 in multiplayer and then only in spurts. I really disliked it otherwise. I like DS2 a lot better but thats not saying a lot. Im already really tired of the hack hack hack. Walk a set path and fight monsters so when you get there you can fight a harder monster...repeat till you puke.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 29, 2005, 06:47:05 PM »

I thought DS1 was interesting at first but bored of it's shallow nature quickly and never finished it (or even bothered trying it again).  I was marginal after playing the DS2 demo but am really liking the game.  It's definately more of an RPG than DS1 and reminds me of a cross between an MMO and Icewind Dale.  There are a lot of MMO conventions in this game.

Of course, given how rare PC RPG's are right now, it could just be that my standards are lower.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 29, 2005, 06:58:13 PM »

I may not finish DS2. I never did finish thefirst one. Im thinking of getting the NWN platinum pack. I played the origianl campaign of NWN but none of the mods or expansions. Its either that os Silent Hunter 3.

gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 29, 2005, 07:31:20 PM »

I loved the first DS.   I like these kinds of hack n slash games, and having it in 3d with a camera I could move around was like a dream come true.  Sure there were things I wish they had done a bit different.

Which brings me to DS II.  Now that I've reached the beginning of Act II, I feel I have a good grasp of what they've done with this new game.  I think it is a big improvement.  The loot system is better, the skills are fun and add to the game, the respawning allows for more control on leveling,  the pet system is better...it's just better all around.    There's even tons of NPCs to talk to, if you're into that sort of thing. The save system doesn't even bug me anymore.

So we are level 24, just got into town and went shopping.  We came out looking like this:
Zoyd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 29, 2005, 07:37:08 PM »

Quote from: "gameoverman"
I'd be interested to know that too.  Right now I've got two melee, one packmule and I'm holding a spot open for a combat mage.  That leaves no room for a nature mage since my packmule(Barney) will stay with me till the end.  I won't get another open slot till I reach Veteran.

I haven't seen any combat mages either so far, but why don't you recruit a fourth party member on a temporary basis? You can always dump them when you find someone you want more.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 29, 2005, 07:53:03 PM »

Quote from: "Zoyd"
I haven't seen any combat mages either so far, but why don't you recruit a fourth party member on a temporary basis? You can always dump them when you find someone you want more.

I've considered doing that, but I know that once I put time and effort into developing a character, I'm not going to want to let him or her go.

I have some nice unique items for only ranged characters, so that is tempting but I really want a mage.

I'm patient though, especially since these two melee guys are handling things okay.  The dual wielder(Lothar) tends to get knocked out halfway through big battles, while my shield carrying melee and Barney finish the battles on their feet.  However, from what I've seen, Lothar does alot more damage than they do while he's conscious.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: August 29, 2005, 07:59:35 PM »

I haven't seen any combat mages either so far, but why don't you recruit a fourth party member on a temporary basis?

You can get a Combat Mage in the 2nd Act.  She is also a mechanic.  hint hint.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: August 29, 2005, 08:01:09 PM »

I managed to exploit 'the system' today and net a new Dungeon Siege 2 for about $20.  Huzzah.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 29, 2005, 09:01:03 PM »

Has anyone else run into that mysterious "???" character?  He looks like an imp.  He apparently shows up at times when some really good loot drops.

I have seen him 3 times.  The first time was just past that Dryad exile camp, he got me by suprise and took everything that was laying on the ground.   The other two times I had already picked up the loot(I make that a priority now) and I whacked him a few times.  He didn't drop anything interesting though.

Ebonstone, for the price of Fate you got a similar but more well developed game.  Good deal, I'd say.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #212 on: August 29, 2005, 09:22:01 PM »

Yea, I got him once.  I smacked the hell out of him and got 1 gold drop and two rares and some crappy sellbait.  I'm instantly reminded of the little potion guy in Gauntlet.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 29, 2005, 09:56:24 PM »

I think I know what you're talking about. Ive killed him though 3 or so times and always get a butt load of stuff. I whack on him and he drops a few items and moves around. He does this 3 times. The 3rd time he drops a bunch of stuff and disappears.

Ive also came across a skeleton every now and then that appears to be a normal lvl skeleton with no special stats but he takes forever to kill and he drops a wad of stuff also.

gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 29, 2005, 10:48:18 PM »

So I made it up to Elen'lu Isles(sp ?).  While there I found this unique hammer:

It's pretty awesome, here's what it looks like in action using the whirlwind power:

Finally, here's a pic of the current gear in my storage vault.  I'm still not too sure on what to keep and what to sell off.  I'm waiting to see if my next party member is ranged or mage before I decide.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 29, 2005, 10:51:15 PM »

Ive been keeping all the enchanting regents but I never use them. They are now taking up all my room. I think Ill sell them all. They woulda made good pet food but he is full grown now and wont eat anything else.

To make my pet's last lvl I fed him nothing but 500 - 1000g items. Worked fast.

gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 29, 2005, 11:11:23 PM »

I tend to turn music off in games and just play Winamp in the background.

So far I've found that Bjork's Vespertine and The Kills' No Wow work pretty good as background music for DSII.  biggrin
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 29, 2005, 11:17:00 PM »

Nice hammer and collection of yellows ;-)

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 30, 2005, 03:21:16 AM »

I completed the Elen'lu quest and got Finala to join. So I finally have my mage.  I also gave her a bunch of stuff I was saving for a com mage, plus I was able to sell off all my ranged gear now that I won't be needing it.  Right now, with the 6k gold I have on hand, there's nothing in Aman'lu I can buy for her that's better than the stuff I gave her.

Any tips on what a good set of combat mage lvl 21 spells would be?

Here's the new setup:

I guess I get a summons now too, hehe.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 30, 2005, 03:54:13 AM »

She starts  out with a nice attack spell. Looks like a pruple lightning beam or something. Mine is using lightning now and sometimes another spell.

After a run ill have about 130,000 gold then after buying my 3 other guys potions I always have about 85,000. 450 a potion. But now I no longer have to feed my pet so it should go up. I never find anything good to buy thats better than what I find. I really need some new melee weps.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 30, 2005, 04:00:49 AM »

Yeah, I am going to have to start saving potions. My nature mage is going bye bye since I can now officially get Finala-my guys freaking rock by the way! I will post some pictures later. I am still really enjoying the game but now I am playing it more in 1 or 2 hour spurts rather than really long sessions.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 30, 2005, 04:26:30 AM »

Have'nt touched it all day. Have to make myself now. Used to Id play for 6 hours straight. I am curious as to what Ill find in Snowhatever.

I have the strangest urge to load up X-Com though. I suck at that game.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 30, 2005, 05:06:14 AM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"
Have'nt touched it all day. Have to make myself now. Used to Id play for 6 hours straight. I am curious as to what Ill find in Snowhatever.

I have the strangest urge to load up X-Com though. I suck at that game.

Daehawk I am getting rid of Finala. I have had her for 45 minutes and I just dont like her. I was getting more damage from Deru as NM, more utility with her spells, so I think its back to her-plus the heals are really important so I don't have to micromanage the potions.

ANyways, I am not feeling the pull to play too much tonight too, but that could have something to do with the 3 hours of the gym. Maybe I should take a short break and get to some of the huge backlog and then get back to it tomorrow night when its a  bit fresh smile
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 30, 2005, 05:59:02 AM »

I logged in for a bit. Mainly I did the Arinth's quests. The first part involves finding 3 parts of his staff. The lady then warns you not to bring the staff and him together. He's been in prison for a few thousand years and he's kinda insane. So I agreed to stay away from him then promptly went and released him hahaha. He ran off and I caught up with him at the little islands place temple. So I killed him and now have his staff and his robe for Finola plus 2 skill points to boot.

This is Deru my archer. you can see my old Finola outfit behind her. this was as I started the quest.

Heres Finola after getting the staff.

And here she is with the robe. Very nice stats on both. Best mage staff in game plus 2nd best mage robe. Best robe would be the chaos robe.

I liked the look of the old set but this one is WAY better stat wise. Anyways just for fun heres a pic of my main melee guy wearing a bucket smile Check out the stats and description on it for a laugh.

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #224 on: August 30, 2005, 01:08:16 PM »

I installed the game last night, configured it, and... promptly went to bed.  It was late and I didn't want to get started with so little time to play.

Is the game as mod-friendly as past Taylor games?  And are there any difficulty mods out for it yet?

I was thinking of intentionally handicapping myself by trying to play through solo, or by making an inappropriate character, like a Half Giant Archer or something... but if there's a formal patch/hack that raises the difficulty, or unlocks the harder modes, I'm all ears.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: August 30, 2005, 01:29:53 PM »

Quite honestly, the difficulty really ramps up in Act III, and then of course there are the 2 higher difficulty levels once you beat the game.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 30, 2005, 02:43:52 PM »

From what I hear a full maxed out party has difficulty with the end.

Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 30, 2005, 03:37:11 PM »

Almost finished with it.  Everyone is 40-41, here's what they are looking like:

Mordred, Knight

Lothar, Knight

Finala, Sorceress

Taar, Grand Mage

glyc

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 30, 2005, 06:22:54 PM »

Is that the shadow set that Mordred is wearing?

Lothar's set looks good too.

Finala looks like something out of hellraiser :shock:
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 30, 2005, 08:06:44 PM »

Daehawk your helmet ROCKS. I find it difficult to believe you didn't just photoshop that up smile Awesome pics of your guys too Glycerine!
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 30, 2005, 11:29:30 PM »

hehe thanks. No its real. Theres a whole set or quest involving mysterious items. Ive not looed into it yet though. I dont usually wear that helmet though. Cant see out of it smile

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 31, 2005, 01:28:52 AM »

i actually had no interest in this as i loved DS1 but disliked the demo for DS2.  i'm trying to decide whether to buy DS2 or Sacred Gold.  all these screenshots are making me have interest in DS2 that i previously haven't.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 31, 2005, 02:19:44 AM »

Quote from: "Xmann"
i actually had no interest in this as i loved DS1 but disliked the demo for DS2.  i'm trying to decide whether to buy DS2 or Sacred Gold.  all these screenshots are making me have interest in DS2 that i previously haven't.

I never played Sacred gold but I played a lot of patched up Sacred awhile back. DS2 is head and shoulders a better game-easier to play, easier to get into, way more cool loot, fun powers that actually do cool stuff-no overpowered classes (Except dual wield melee) that I have seen, better graphics, etc.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 31, 2005, 02:53:28 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
And are there any difficulty mods out for it yet?.

This one seems well received.  I haven't tried it myself though.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 31, 2005, 03:26:04 AM »

Ugh that would be a horrible mod. Im finding the game just right for now. I never understood the need to make a game unfun difficult.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 31, 2005, 04:00:03 AM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"
Ugh that would be a horrible mod. Im finding the game just right for now. I never understood the need to make a game unfun difficult.

Nor do I man, but there are always people that think they are "uber" or something like that because they enjoy inflicting pain on themselves.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 31, 2005, 05:55:43 AM »

Heres a new item I got. Notice the Babylon 5 reference? smile

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 31, 2005, 06:46:33 AM »

WOOO a dragon! I gotta say the cutscenes from this Snowhaven area were really nice. Blizzard type ones. But very short.

I just fought my first dragon. I actually had to fight him twice. Once outside and once after i pissed him off. smile The only way to fight him up top of the keep is with the ballista up there. He flys around, breathes fireballs, lands, and catapults are  launching some tough badies up there all the time to help him. What a freaking battle!!! Wow. You cant harm him in tha air and you have to crank the ballista around to where he lands them shoot him. If his breath lights the ballista on fire you cant use it till it goes out. It does about 15,000 per hit. He has about 100,000 hit points..

Heres a quote from the guide Im using.

Each ballista arrow will take off around 15,000 of Talon's 100,000 hitpoints, so you'll have to go through this rigamarole quite a few times before you can actually kill the dragon. In the meantime, the catapults outside the castle walls will be dropping Durvlas onto the platform. These guys will only appear when Talon's in the air, so you won't have to worry about aiming the ballista and fighting them at the same time. Since you can't use your powers on Talon, use them on the Durvlas to quickly take them out.

If you wanna sue the guide its HERE  I love it.

Aw come on stop flying!

Thats better...eat ballista bolt!

And here he is again downstairs. He just wont give up!. Note to engineer. Build better walls.

BTW it may not look it but I won that battle smile

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 31, 2005, 06:49:16 AM »

i got a bunch of new stuff today, found some hidden quests and the like, and some new loot, and then the game crashed-I only lost a little but I was annoyed. I am around lvl 28 with my mains and about halfway exactly through Act II. Still having fun, but slowing down.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 31, 2005, 08:18:36 AM »

Glycerine and Daehawk, seeing the gear you guys got keeps me going, hehe.

I found this staff while chasing after the caravan:

Here's my party now.  I've equipped both melee with the same helm and boots that you can buy in the shop in Aman'lu, since they are better than what I've found.    Barney has grown some more:

I'm currently taking a break from the main quest and talking to the ghosts.  I've found that to be one of the big improvements over DS that DSII has- There is interesting(to me anyways) stuff to do besides just the main quest.  I find myself very curious about what the spirits might have to say, and give to me.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: