http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 07:03:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dungeon Siege II: Anyone care?  (Read 27113 times)
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 25, 2005, 06:08:24 AM »

"I wish there was an ingame key for screenshots."
There is - PrtScrn will take a screenshot, and it will go into My Documents\My Games\Dungeon Siege 2\Screenshots.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 25, 2005, 11:30:24 AM »

I have yet to buy a single piece of equipment....feed it all to the pet if it isn't an upgrade for you.
Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 25, 2005, 02:45:25 PM »

I found that by level 25 with 4 party members, I had a huge gold surplus, as in buying multiple 15K rare rings on each trip to town.

Having said that... feed the spare items to the pet, grown pets look better than mini pets.

I just wish you could have your party size +1 pet. How I miss the pack mule.

"We do what we must because we can."
X-Box Live: TragicNut
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 25, 2005, 06:09:05 PM »

Ok so I finally started to get into it for real yesterday, and damn was immediately swept up in the addictiveness of Dungeon Siege! I was a huge fan of the original and other for the mind-numbingly stupid save-game system, I like everything about this more than the first-I think I played for 3 or 4 hours yesterday (is there an in game timer?) and got my guys all to level 8/8/7.

Calvin (me)(melee)/Lothar(melee)/Deru(nature mage). Calvin is a dual wielder and Lothar sword and board-although I am thinking about switching him two two-handed weapons. THere is only one specific sword and board super-power as opposed to two for two-handers, not to mention you can stay armored up and HP'ed up pretty well being very careful with armor selection, plus to get several of the cool super-powers (what are they actually called-skills? talents?) you need a bunch of points in toughness anyways-so you are talking a 20% HP bump along the way. Any thoughts on that?

So far, Calvin-my dual wielder is just walking death for anyone that is around my level or below. A level or two above and he starts to take prohibitive amounts of damage quickly. Boss fights are the same for both characters-they take damage very quickly and need to really heal up and use their super-powers wisely to win. My sword and board guy is a little mroe hardy but doesn't last too long against real strong guys or a few levels above-and he really doesnt impress me with damage so far. I wanted Deru as a nature mage because I wanted to wait for a real archer later on (one that didnt annoy me) and because I thought the healing would help at this point in the game. Unfortunately, she does not seem to auto-cast very efficiently, and her lightning spell is just adequate-so far a little dissapointed in the nature mage.

Anyways, my initial impressions of the game is that it is actually harder than I would have originally thought reading all these posts. I wiped once but it was soon after a save so I exited and reloaded-other than that I have been able to disengage and heal up before I fully wiped-but I have had to resort to "run away and drink lots of potions" many, many times early on-so harder than I thought, in a good way.

So far, the game is fun, intersting, engaging, addicting-and there is just tons and tons of cool loot, character options, quests, dialogue, story and just everything you could want. Having recently installed DS1, Diablo2+LOD, Sacred, the trial of Fate, and then coming to this, I can honestly say that this is just heads and shoulders betterthan any game of this type so far. Its fantastic.

I am going to find someplace to store pictures and then upload some of my guys.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 25, 2005, 06:14:13 PM »

Pictures(they suck for now, don't mock)

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: August 25, 2005, 06:14:39 PM »

Double post
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 25, 2005, 06:19:14 PM »

I have my guys up to lvl 24.  I have Arkon (melee, Sword and Board), Lothar (melee, 2H), Deru (Nature Mage) and right now a Pixie/Fairy pet that is a nature mage as well.  The difference in defense between Lothar and Arkon is night and day.  With my specialty points I have barricade up to I think 10 pts which gives me 102% defense bonus on my shield as well as I think 15% chance to block melee and ranged... magic however still tears me up.  While Lothar does insane damage he drops real fast compared to Arkon, which is where the 1 sword and board power comes in handy.  Provoke to pull a huge group onto Arkon, then have Lothar use the whirling attack which does almost 700pts of damage to every mob in range.  Most even level non boss mobs drop with this AOE attack.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 25, 2005, 07:15:22 PM »

Thanks Arkon for the pet tips, I'm gonna modify it slightly.  What I've decided to do is let the mule eat the stuff that's nonmagical, or the stuff that sells for cheap(under 20 golds).  The rest I'll sell so I can buy new gear for the two melee guys.

And thanks EddieA for the tip on screenshots, that is much better than using Fraps, for convenience.

Speaking of which, my mule has grown one notch and here's my party now:

Here's my baby mule when he fought this huge stone throwing beastie.

This game is SERIOUSLY addicting. I actually dreamed about it last night, I was IN the game and I was fussing over which armor I was gonna wear.  That ain't right.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 25, 2005, 07:45:25 PM »

A sword and board tank becomes almost indestructible.  Provoke is a great power, and ranks up nicely.  I had my sword and shield tank spend some time as an archer ranking up Survival to about +35% resists.  He had the cool title of "Raider" for awhile, now he's back to being a Knight.  He's like a cockroach now, even nukes don't kill him.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 25, 2005, 07:47:16 PM »

Right now I have a lvl 20 party of 3 people and a elemental pet. I took at 3 parties with 3 lvl 28 mobs. One party had 2 lvl 30 hero bosses. Got them too.. Some of my party would fall while I ran the rest around drinking potions then the others would hop up and Id repeat. My total party got wiped 2 times though. But in the end I won.

Also someone mentioned mimics. UGH. I was in this room with 4 chests in 4 corners. i opened one and a secret door opened and I fought a mob. At the 2nd chest I expected the same thing so I clicked it and started watching the wall. I hear "chomp chomp" and dont know where its from cause I see no monsters. Then one guy falls then another and I hear another needing health. I finally see its the chest itself..lost my whole party because I did'nt see it.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 25, 2005, 07:52:36 PM »

mimics are a pain in the ass for sure.  I need to skill up my ranged on my sword and board fighter to get some ranks in survival, never thought about that.
Glycerine

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 25, 2005, 09:31:58 PM »

Here's a couple more, this time fighting one of the "mini-bosses":

Now I ask you, how are those bad graphics?

glyc
Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 25, 2005, 10:11:33 PM »

For those commenting about poor damage output from sword and board... This is true, but the first power (brutal attack) can cause massive damage, I've pushed it to level 3 and do something over 2500% normal damage, combine that with a 45% chance of criticals and it is a beautiful sight.

For the autocast problems, try putting your heal spell as a primary spell and selecting it, I find that focuses the mage's mind better.

Edit:

An interesting group idea would be 4 of a kind with no secondaries, so a group of pure fighters for example. This should be do-able by the middle of act 2 since Lothar and Deru have almost no initial skills so they're easy to shape, and you can pick up your 4th in Aman'lu.

"We do what we must because we can."
X-Box Live: TragicNut
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 25, 2005, 11:13:00 PM »

The other night I set the first hotkey slot, F7, for my single target high damage boss killing powers/spells, and the 2nd slot, F8, to aoe powers/spells.  Now I can have the entire party switch quickly back and forth to their aoe or single target powers/spells together by just pressing F7 and F8.  I'm probablly late figuring that one out, but it's helped a ton since I set it up.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 26, 2005, 03:13:54 AM »

That arena below the bar in the 2nd town. Just how hard does it get? My party is like lvl 22 or so and I did the first two rounds. I think the 2nd round was 3 lvl 26 and a higher lvl boss. I had to drink a potion. Im kinda worried about paying the next token which is 2000 gold to fight..dont wanna lose. How high are the lvl up to the 9th round? Do I need to come back later again?

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 26, 2005, 03:31:38 AM »

Gamespot has a run-down of the arena enemies in their guide here.  Looks like you'll have to go back later slywink

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 26, 2005, 03:36:21 AM »

Sorry cant view it..not a member. I use Gamefaqs but so far they are lacking a good FAQ for DS2.

I coulda swore I was a GS member. We're they the ones with a place to list all your game collection and stuff?

Signed up..looking at it now...Thnx!

DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 26, 2005, 04:29:18 AM »

Here is my tank on the second run through.
I played originally as a Nature Mage then started over as a Combat Mage
I just love the way the tank looks and I finally got a decent purple staff to drop.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 26, 2005, 04:44:48 AM »

I'm still pretty addicted though I haven't had a whole lot of time to play-about 1.5 hours today-I am now about lvl 12 with everyone. My biggest problem right now is actually, if you can believe it, the sheer volume of loot. And it's not that it's all bad either-at least 1/3 of the items are magical or have decent stats on them, not just junk. The problem is that so much freaking loot drops that I feel like literally every 10 minutes or less I have to sift through everything I picked up and swap at least one item in for one of my guys, and read descriptions, see what the effects and magical properties are, and then compare. It takes a long time and happens constantly because of all the loot-of course that makes it all the more addictive but I think I am going to have institute a self-control rule where unless the item is purple or yellow I don't check new gear except once every 30 mins. Yikes. More info coming soon smile
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 26, 2005, 06:14:37 AM »

Yeah I feel that too. Ive got to where anything under 100 bucks I feed to my pet.

Here I am with my new mace from the guy I got his anvil and ore and hammer back for in act 1.

Here is a slightly earlier pic from the fortress fighting a 3 headed snake boss. Already cut off one head.

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: August 26, 2005, 05:47:28 PM »

DS2 is $32 before shipping in the GoGamer 48-hour madness sale.

I considered it, but I think I'd rather pay $25 or so shipped for a used one when one of you gets tired of it.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 26, 2005, 06:31:22 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"

I considered it, but I think I'd rather pay $25 or so shipped for a used one when one of you gets tired of it.

I think its worth it man-it really is tremendously fun and addictive-other than the save system there isn't a thing about it I dont like. The gameplay still gets repetitive, but I found it much worse in Diablo2 and DS1 than I do here.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: August 26, 2005, 08:55:19 PM »

Quote from: "Rage"
Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"

I think its worth it man-it really is tremendously fun and addictive-other than the save system there isn't a thing about it I dont like. The gameplay still gets repetitive, but I found it much worse in Diablo2 and DS1 than I do here.
I don't think you understood.  You're going to sell me your copy for $25 shipped now.  Hop to it.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 26, 2005, 09:57:42 PM »

Well Ive made it to act 2. Its more fun than the original  by far. But Im feeling the linear path and the fight walk fight walk trails are getting as repeditive as the first one. Hope I can keep my enthusiam up till the end. The quest are becoming annoying also from all the backtracking Im having to do. I prefer to continue forward in my rpgs.

gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 26, 2005, 10:42:13 PM »

Yeah, that aspect of it is the one thing(besides the save game system) that is marring this game, albeit slightly for  me.

I REALLY liked the foward momentum of DS 1.  There is no such feeling in DS 2.  The respawing helps some, since it's another chance for me to get loot, but I miss the rush of getting my first look at a gorgeous new area.  The desire to see a new area is what gives me motivation to keep walking and fighting in games like this.

I'm in chapter 4 of Act 1 and I'm pretty much all jungled out.  In terms of seeing something new(besides monsters), I'm ready right now but I sense that I still have a ways to go.

I'm gonna be neck deep in an extended session later tonight, so I should have some good screenshots posted later.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 27, 2005, 06:21:19 AM »

Ok Im stumped in relation to my party makeup. Id like both a combat mage and a nature mage. Trouble is a nature mage wont lvl up on healing spells and thats why I want one. I have to make her cast damage spells all the time. I now have finola who is a combat mage. Her damage spells do up to 100+ damage and she has a great pet. I was going to INN my pet and keep my nature mage around. But I looked and my pet is lvl 3 and working on 4 and does 100+ damage also with his little spell. So if I keep my pet and replace my nature mage with a combat mage thats 200+ damage right there between them. But now my nature mage is'nt lvl'n up and i wont have her later for big heals. Although the whole game Ive been using potions even with her since she is used as a fighter.

So any ways what Im round about asking is it a good party to have a fighter, archer, combat,pet? The pet uses nature magic but of course only as a damage dealer no seplls for healing.

Will I be missing out later not having a lvl'd up nature mage? I like how stuff dies as I walk now but if something hits finola the new combat mage she dies QUICK since i got no good items for her yet.

Edit forgot to ad my party is lvl 25 except the new mage who is 22 i think. Im in act 2 working on her morden towers quest. Ive already done the prism quest of course because thats how you can get her to join you.

gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 27, 2005, 08:08:01 AM »

I'd be interested to know that too.  Right now I've got two melee, one packmule and I'm holding a spot open for a combat mage.  That leaves no room for a nature mage since my packmule(Barney) will stay with me till the end.  I won't get another open slot till I reach Veteran.

I reached the beach, here's a pic(I have a cool black armor for my character):

My party is level 18.  I can hardly wait till we gain a couple of levels so we can go back and tackle that one MONSTER beastie guarding that one guy's blacksmith gear.  I read somewhere that you incur a pretty big experience penalty for fighting stuff more than 4 levels different than your own.  Since he was a 24, I figure at 20 I can go back for him.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 27, 2005, 04:06:18 PM »

Quote from: "gameoverman"
My party is level 18.  I can hardly wait till we gain a couple of levels so we can go back and tackle that one MONSTER beastie guarding that one guy's blacksmith gear.  I read somewhere that you incur a pretty big experience penalty for fighting stuff more than 4 levels different than your own.  Since he was a 24, I figure at 20 I can go back for him.

Someone looked at the game code and posted some experience formulas on the gaspowered games garage forums.  According to the post, if your party's average level is more than 4 levels below a monster's level, you won't get full XP for the monster. The % of XP you do get scales even further down the wider the difference.  More people confirmed what he was looking at in the code.  

Btw, I came back and got revenge on that section at lvl 25, it was fun  :twisted:

It's not just that one guy either, you'll run into a full room trackers beyond him.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 27, 2005, 04:18:41 PM »

Well thats stupid. Ive been killing stuff a lot higher than me thinking I was getting a big bonus in exp for it like all other games . Damn company.

gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 27, 2005, 06:21:16 PM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"
Well thats stupid. Ive been killing stuff a lot higher than me thinking I was getting a big bonus in exp for it like all other games . Damn company.

I think even Diablo 2 did it this way, didn't it?   The idea being a low level character can't hang out in a party with high level characters, taking on high level monsters, and get lots of extra experience points because he's so much lower.   I think that's a fairly common design element these days.

When I reached that first desert encampment, I accidentally triggered that skeleton guard in the ruins.  Well, he chased my party all the way back to the camp so I had to kill him.  He's L28, and once I finally killed him, I noticed my experience bars didn't even so much as budge a notch- that's a harsh penalty.  Usually I can see the bars progress after each major battle.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 27, 2005, 08:01:04 PM »

Does'nt affect my play any. I kill everything I can even if its 10 lvls higher and I have to  run arounda lot. I hate leaving stuff and I hate backtracking.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: August 27, 2005, 10:52:52 PM »

Ok Im stumped in relation to my party makeup. Id like both a combat mage and a nature mage. Trouble is a nature mage wont lvl up on healing spells and thats why I want one. I have to make her cast damage spells all the time.

Well... Casting Nature Spells in general raises your Nature Level. It doesn't matter if it's healing spells or offensive spells. And you'll want the additional ranged damage from the Nature line as time goes on, as well as the summoned pet (as it tries to play tank as well).

IMHO - your Nature users are smart enough to override your commands (even if you're in Party mode) to cast healing spells if needbe. So have your Nature mage blast away.

Personally, I'd go with the well-rounded group. Fighter (or Dire Wolf pet), Combat Mage, Nature Mage, and Archer. My fully levelled Dire Wolf (at level 25) has 246 AC (3 times my Archer and 5 times of my mages) and 831HP. It takes an army (or one of those blasted mimic chests) to take it down.

Also - you can get up to 4 people in your party before you leave Act 1. Just save up the gold needed to get the extra party slots. 4 is the max on the first difficulty level, then it goes up to 5, and finally 6 the second and third time through.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 27, 2005, 11:27:31 PM »

Well, I've paid for the fourth slot but I'm holding out for a full on mage, combat or nature whichever shows up first.

Here's my party, now lvl 20 Knights:

My mule always looks unloaded in my pics because I have a new procedure. Since you can't save where you want, I've decided on this:

I do a run, then go back to town(running or portal whatever works).  I sell loot, buy new goods, then finally feed my pet.  I can then take a screenshot of them and save my game.  When I start up again later, my party is 'fresh' and can go straight into combat.  My mule is currently halfway across fledgling in growth.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 28, 2005, 01:01:33 AM »

I just now got to Act II. The only part of Act I I didnt get to was that quest with the high level guys guarding the treasure. I did half of it, and then ran into them. I beat the first boss guy (Was level 12ish, used all my potions and plenty of running away) and about half of the regular creatures and then gave up because it was taking too long, and I knew I could come back. I am seirously bitter to hear about the XP thing though-while I did have a suspicion I wasn't getting a lot of XP cause my bar didn't move too much I am really dissapointed to hear that confirmed. What ever happened to rewarding the patient gamer or the clever strategist with uber-XP for fighting those guys? Thats a damn shame.

Either way I am still loving the game. So far the downsides are the ton of loot to keep track of, and right now the biggest gripe: the back-tracking, small world feel. Dungeon Siege 1, for all its faults-including feeling like it was on rails-was an enormous game world, with environments and vistas that changed almost every half hour or so, and you were always moving forward, as Daehawk mentioned. THere is a lot of backtracking around a central hub in this game (Hi Diablo2! How are you?), and I agree that that is an unfortunate concession to the Diablo L337 players that they so obviously want to attract. Either way its good to see some new terrain in Act 2, and the game is still a ton of fun. As soon as my characters actually look cool I will be posting more screenshots smile
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 28, 2005, 08:26:41 AM »

So finally I went back and confronted the blacksmith's nemesis:

Barney is now a juvenile, and has power.  This is what it looks like when he uses it:

I've enchanted a weapon and gloves, both of which my character use.  Lothar uses dual swords which look cool in combat, like lightsabers.  You can see Barney standing behind my character, looking a bit bigger:

I found the 'falls' area when I was clearing out some quests from my quest book.  I saw I was supposed to bring some item to a girl by the falls and I went looking around.  I hadn't even seen that whole area of town!  It's pretty cool.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: August 28, 2005, 04:23:30 PM »

I missed it for a while too.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 28, 2005, 07:10:26 PM »

I missed it for a while too.

So did I! Oh, addendum to my above post-I am at the end of Act 1, not Act 2. I thought the desert was the beginning of Act2 because I didn't pay any attenion. Right now I am at the end of the fortress though, so I am making progress smile
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 29, 2005, 06:17:51 AM »

Here I am STILL trying to figure out just what this woman in the first town wants as a keepsake from the second town..sigh.

My ice elemental is full grown. He provides 40% ice resistance and 150% mana regen. His attack spell does 150 - 250 damage. I like him. Though his fog effect around his feet gets distracting sometimes in cold area fights.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 29, 2005, 06:53:20 AM »

A few questions Dae-what are you using Deru for, and for the love of pete, why is her selected power gravity stone one of the most spectacularly shitty powers in the entire game?

Another question, since I know you are further along-I want to take Finula so I can try some combat magic-I have Vix for ranged and I am very happy with him, my main who is a dual wielder dealing so much damage its obscene, lothar as sword and board and the other girl for nature magic. So far I have found nature magic not very useful. Her main spell is reasonably powerful and she has a couple of good powers and a few buffs, but the character is very boring IMO-on the other hand, I think she does more damage than Lothar (sword and board in this game is NOT the way to go). SO I am trying to decide who to give up.

Would it be viable to take finula and throw like 3 points into healing and just let her use that as an autocast and have the rest in combat magic? All I really use my nature mage is for healing anyways.

So, I am about 1/3 through Act II and having a blast. I am getting a tad bored of some of the hackity hack hack that is of course endless in this type of game but its very addictive and still quite interesting. My guys are all level 25 I think, and going strong.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 29, 2005, 07:13:32 AM »

She is my archer. And I never use gravity stone it does suck. Her power is a aoe attack. Its just greyed out in that pic. 3rd power over..looks like a bullseye.

Been working on her sidequest also. A treasure hunt. I have her using a xbow she's had for a while now. In the pic her bow is'nt showing because she has a res scroll highlighted.

Im not too far ahead fo you. In act two. Im about lvl 30 or so. I just killed the lich and my first dark wizard. Damn that wizard was TOUGH. Killed poor finula a bunch. Man she dies if a fly lands on her. Annoying to say the least.

Im now omw to snowhaven or whatever that town is since I just saved the princess. I declinded her invitation to join me though she has an ok voice. Deru's voice is so annoying.

Oh yeah I dumped my nature mage. Found her pretty redundant and useless. I miss her voice set though.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: