http://gamingtrend.com
October 30, 2014, 02:57:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dungeon Siege II: Anyone care?  (Read 27014 times)
gameoverman
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 13, 2005, 01:36:00 AM »

I never sent them back to town, I just used them to haul the geat till we got to the NEXT town.  That way the party is always moving forward to the next area, never going back to areas we already saw.

I'm wondering if the actual level structure of the game has changed.  Instead of a linear "point A to point B to point C"style, to a "central hub with all points radiating out" style.  I liked the linear structure because I knew I could count on running into a merchant somewhere up ahead where I could sell my stuff.

If it's a hub style, that means you'd HAVE to go back to town once in while, so you could take another road out of town to the next unexplored area. That would kind of suck.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 13, 2005, 05:46:04 PM »

Quote from: "Rage"
They praised virtually everything about the game except the difficulty and it ended up with 7.9-and they said it was a better sequel. Thats an odd score, frankly.

That's pretty standard for Gamespot.  They often rate sequels slightly less than the original unless there was a huge overhaul in between them.  The original DS received an 8.4 from them, so a 7.9 is pretty in line with their practices.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: August 13, 2005, 07:48:48 PM »

Oh, and I am not wrong. On regular, out of the box single player difficulty, there is not a lick more strategy in D2 than Dungeon Siege 2. You can beat the game like that with almost any combination of idiotic skills. On nightmare or hell or on the ladders or whatever I don't know-but that is ultimately irrelevant to the issue of how the game plays right out of the box.

Diablo 2 forced you to make choices about your character all the time, the results of which directly affected how you played the game.  Are you going to save that skill point for later and tough it out or enhance the skill you use most frequently?  What about opening up that branch of this tree, or getting just a point of this skill to give you more options?

You're forced to make choices in Diablo 2 because not every character can do everything well.  This balance is removed in the Dungeon Siege games -- all it takes is time and a bunch of monsters to practice on, and you too can wield the best sword, wear the best armor, heal the most HP, and cast the most devestating spells.  Sure, now there are super-special powers or whatever in DS2, but they sound tacked on and limited.

DS1 was so devoid of a strategy or skill requirement to the point where the game could totally play itself, if you selected the right options and were sure to occasionally hit H for health and click to move.  It sounds like DS2 has continued in that tradition, with the removal of the automated features in order to better disguise its lack of challenge or meaningful gameplay.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 13, 2005, 08:19:36 PM »

I have to agee with Rage, when you fire up Diablo 2 you can pretty much pick ANYTHING in terms of assigning skill points and advance through the game.

I'm not a 'good' D2 player, I don't have the 'right' choices to make for each class memorized like so many do.  I can't rattle off which attack works best for which type monster.  

I HAVE seen the faqs for each class and how there are even specialties for each class with specific skill point assignments.  I know that much.  It doesn't matter.   I can, and have, fired up D2 and played through just picking whatever skills sounded good to me at the time- no strategy involved.  You can play through D2 by just buying or finding good gear, using health and mana potions when necessary, and being patient when fighting the monsters(attack and retreat when needed).  Works EXACTLY like the DS games.  

The first time I played through D2, I played as a barbarian and just hacked my way through to the end, never using any special attacks.  Never touched Whirlwind or Leap or any of that stuff, I coudn't be bothered to learn how they worked.  I just put skill points in passive stuff that I didn't have to worry about, stuff that worked  automatically.  Then I concentrated on getting good armor and a kickass weapon.

Sure, when you play through once and get to harder difficulties, then your choices start to show themselves to be good or bad.  But that doesn't count, because to reach that point you have already 'played' the game.

I can see how the elaborate skill system in D2 can ADD to the enjoyment for some players.  But I think to say that you are forced to use it in any thoughtful way is overstating it.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: August 13, 2005, 09:01:52 PM »

Quote from: "gameoverman"
You can play through D2 by just buying or finding good gear, using health and mana potions when necessary, and being patient when fighting the monsters(attack and retreat when needed).  Works EXACTLY like the DS games.

The clinch is, D2 goes deeper than that.  DS doesn't.  And DS2 doesn't appear to either.

I mean, if I read the Gamespot review right, DS2 stays trivial, regardless of what difficulty you play it on.

Maybe other reviews will be more positive... but $50 for this in a market with Fate for $20?  I'm less than enthused.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 13, 2005, 10:05:30 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"

The clinch is, D2 goes deeper than that.  DS doesn't.  And DS2 doesn't appear to either.

I mean, if I read the Gamespot review right, DS2 stays trivial, regardless of what difficulty you play it on.

Maybe other reviews will be more positive... but $50 for this in a market with Fate for $20?  I'm less than enthused.

Pending other issues I have, I'd pay the extra $30 for the camera controls, variable party size, no loading screens, and (apparent) expanded variety of character growth that DSII has over Fate.  Not to mention the unlocking code issue Fate has.

Strictly in terms of depth, then yeah the D2 style is the best one.  I still occasionally play D2 but don't play DS anymore.  

That's why I'm hoping DSII adds the improvements that changes that.  I'd much rather be playing a modern, 3d hack n slash than an old school 2d low resolution game to get my 'fix'.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 14, 2005, 07:05:00 AM »

"I mean, if I read the Gamespot review right, DS2 stays trivial, regardless of what difficulty you play it on."
To me, it sounded like they didn't actually play on the harder difficulties, as the comments about them are very general.  (This isn't a criticism of the review, as I don't think you'd have to do so to provide a proper review of the game.)  However, other articles I've read about the game make it sound rather difficult, and I've already died a few times in the demo after getting overwhelmed by enemies.

The depth in Diablo 2 comes about due to the differing enemies - different attack styles, resistances, etc.  DS2 has all these things, and more.  Each character doesn't have as many skills as a single character in D2, but you're controlling 4-6, rather than 1.  It remains to be seen in DS2 becomes difficult enough to necessitate using these as D2 does in the harder difficulty levels, but the potential is certainly there.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 16, 2005, 01:45:05 AM »

IGN gave it an 8.5.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 22, 2005, 10:16:22 PM »

I picked this up over the weekend and have a couple of hours into it so far.

It's strange, even though I'm still in the same areas covered by the demo, I am enjoying it far more than I enjoyed the demo.  It 'feels' like there's more loot and more creatures to fight.  Also, now I have the controls down and I am getting the exact same feel in gameplay I got from DS 1(that's a GOOD thing to me, hehe).

The cutscenes, story, voice acting, and save game system have not annoyed me like they did playing the demo.  

If it stays like this, this will be another 'I'm gonna play just a bit more, to see the next area....oh look, it's 3am!' games, like DS was for me.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 23, 2005, 03:07:49 AM »

Quote from: "gameoverman"
I picked this up over the weekend and have a couple of hours into it so far.

It's strange, even though I'm still in the same areas covered by the demo, I am enjoying it far more than I enjoyed the demo.  It 'feels' like there's more loot and more creatures to fight.  Also, now I have the controls down and I am getting the exact same feel in gameplay I got from DS 1(that's a GOOD thing to me, hehe).

The cutscenes, story, voice acting, and save game system have not annoyed me like they did playing the demo.  

If it stays like this, this will be another 'I'm gonna play just a bit more, to see the next area....oh look, it's 3am!' games, like DS was for me.

I have it, about an hour in. Enjoying it so far. Excited to play it some more, but I got a tad busy-might reroll my main guy though, not sure smile
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: August 23, 2005, 03:13:32 AM »

I'm in Act II and I'm loving it. smile  I just got a full set of gold armor for my Melee fighter and let me tell you...he is a TANK!

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 23, 2005, 03:26:09 AM »

Once I realized that I need to go back to town periodically to upgrade gear and once I got a few people in my party so that I wasn't dying as much, I'm finding the game much more fun.  My only negative was a full lock up that cost me an hour or so of gameplay the other night.

I think this will definately tide me over - it has a kind of "Icewind Dale" feel to it.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 23, 2005, 11:42:56 AM »

I am loving this game, everything else has gone on the back burner because of it.  I have two partys going, one with a nature mage and one with a sword and board tank.  The nature mage is fun but nothing compared to my tank.  And yes he really is a tank, his armor is insane as I am pumping up his shield skill, toughness and fortitude.
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 23, 2005, 04:29:32 PM »

It's kept me entertained so far.  Let's see some shots of your characters.
glyc

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 23, 2005, 04:33:53 PM »

Nice shots... I know the gold armor, but wow what is your main guy wearing and what level are you?  I was up to lvl 20 but recently restarted to go a different route with my char, and am only lvl 12 now.  Not finding many set pieces yet.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: August 23, 2005, 05:29:19 PM »

No doubt! That is a swanky set of armor you are sporting for your main.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 23, 2005, 05:35:47 PM »

It's some kind of unique leather armor, but I don't remember the name.  I do know it has a nice magic find bonus, which is why he is still wearing it.  I'll try and post a pic of the stats sometime after work.

I have five of eight pieces of the gold armor set.  In addition to the gaunts and helm I also have the shield, mace, and necklace.  I'd love to see a shot of what the entire set looks like equipped.  (Hint, hint, Knightshade...)

glyc

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: August 23, 2005, 05:47:08 PM »

Hahaha....I'll get a shot of the pair of maces too.  smile  I ended up with two of them!

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: August 23, 2005, 05:59:53 PM »

Are the graphics always that dark?  It sorta looks like it'd be hard to tell your character from the floor...

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: August 23, 2005, 06:02:15 PM »

Not really LE.  Mine are pretty bright.  Guess it depends on the armor set.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 23, 2005, 06:05:04 PM »

Hmm...I think they are a little dark because of the area that I was in.

All of my characters are 30-32 and I'm probably 3/4 of the way through Act 2.

glyc

gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 23, 2005, 08:27:17 PM »

Here's my two guys, after reaching the first portal and going back to town to sell stuff and get some new gear.  Even though this is very early in the game, I was very happy with the selection of loot I found and stuff I could buy.

I'm going weapon/shield with one guy(me), and dual wield with the other guy.  Hopefully I will add ranged or mage next chance I get.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 24, 2005, 03:07:28 AM »

So is it better to dual wield or use a weapon and a shield?

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 24, 2005, 03:26:39 AM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"
So is it better to dual wield or use a weapon and a shield?

In my experience to this point, I'd say that the shield is helping.  The other guy takes alot more damage.  I have read that dual wield is the way to go overall, but I want my character to use a shield.

More pics(nothing spoilerish imo, ymmv):

Here's my party doing a chant buff, I love those effects

Here they are running to fight

Then they get slashed by that guy(notice how the dual wielder almost got taken out by that)

Finally, there is a lighter moment, dancing in DS!
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 24, 2005, 06:47:17 AM »

Hey I need a hint. Theres a underground ruin right before you get to the outcasts camp in act1. Its outdoor entrance is 4 sides of steps that lead to a lift down. Down there is a big double door with chain and padlock. If I click the door it says a description like "This is is locked and requires X"...the X is in yellow or a different color from the rest of the text. Should I have found a key somewhere?

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 24, 2005, 06:59:59 AM »

Question for Daehawk or anyone-I have had the game for a few days but I only got to the tutorial and quit, and I am thinking of starting over, but a few questions first.

1. My main is going to be a fighter. I dont really like the half giant model so I went human for the two extra skill points, but I always put one in critical anyways and the Elf starts with that-I think the Elves look cooler but the human has +2 Str and +1 dex and more intelligence I think-any thoughts on whether the elf would make a better choice? Its either that or the human.
2. The first companion you can take walking out of town-there is ranged and melee-first off, are there easy access to ranged and melee later if you choose one and want another of the class later on? Is the game significantly easier/harder with one than the other? I would really like a ranged compliment to my fighter but I dont want to give up on that big brute since from what I have read the game can get dicey without that second big body.
3. Keep the pictures coming!! Take pics of sets too if you have them, let us drool over them.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 24, 2005, 07:11:56 AM »

1. My main is going to be a fighter. I dont really like the half giant model so I went human for the two extra skill points, but I always put one in critical anyways and the Elf starts with that-I think the Elves look cooler but the human has +2 Str and +1 dex and more intelligence I think-any thoughts on whether the elf would make a better choice? Its either that or the human.

Don't over think it.  The game gives you enough options with specialties and such that I don't think it will matter in the end.  Do whatever you think looks coolest.

2. The first companion you can take walking out of town-there is ranged and melee-first off, are there easy access to ranged and melee later if you choose one and want another of the class later on? Is the game significantly easier/harder with one than the other? I would really like a ranged compliment to my fighter but I dont want to give up on that big brute since from what I have read the game can get dicey without that second big body.

You'll end up with both.  You're not really leaving town for a long time; you'll be back very often (especially if you die!).

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 24, 2005, 07:37:10 AM »

""This is is locked and requires X"...the X is in yellow or a different color from the rest of the text. Should I have found a key somewhere? "
It might be part of a quest for one of the companions.  I believe areas that contain character-specific quests are locked off until you have that character in your party and have received the quest.

gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 24, 2005, 08:42:06 AM »

I think some of those locked things can only be opened by certain types of characters, such as ranged or mage. Fighters can't reach everything.  

I don't 'powergame' so I can't answer any of those kinds of questions. My attitude is that this is your game, pick the stuff you want to do and do it, who cares if it isn't the most efficient way to do it?  If you want to be an Elf, be an Elf, etc.

Latest pic- I call it 'The Reacharound'
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: August 24, 2005, 12:46:01 PM »

There are a lot of locked doors that you'll find the keys to much later.  I'm still dropping back to the beginning areas to finish up quests even though I'm in Act 2.  

I got some screenshots for you guys but I was running late for work (doh!) and couldn't upload them.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: August 24, 2005, 01:02:32 PM »

Doh, You Bastard!  errr... I mean, oh well, hopefully soon we will see your golden tank!
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 24, 2005, 04:41:03 PM »

Ah ok. Maybe thats it then. I just hate leaving stuff behind me as I go. Did'nt want to leave act 1 without opening that door. Maybe Ill get the quest in the next town.

Rage..
1. Im not sure. I took the half giant because I went straight fighter. Im dual wielding right now.

2. Does'nt really matter. I took the ranged girl since I was a tank fighter. Worked pretty good too. She is now using a magic xbow. Ive paid 2000 gold to up my party by 2 more. So I added a nature mage and a little pet ice elemental. When I find a combat mage I'll most likely switch out the pet.

Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 24, 2005, 06:55:59 PM »

Here's a couple more choice shots:

The armor my main has on is called Dusk and has +18% magic find, along with some other stats.  I updated the pic of my main to show the second blade of the Night Shadow set.  (I *think* that is what it's called...)  The gloves he has on go with the set as well.

glyc

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 24, 2005, 09:08:11 PM »

Wheres that town with the mage that tells you how to talk to ghosts? Ive seen 3 ghost so far and it always says I have to talk to a mage in a town somewhere. Is that somewhere on the jungle area I started in or is it in the desert? I just now got to the desert and still cant talk to ghosts.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: August 24, 2005, 09:21:03 PM »

Act 2, first shop you come to.  She'll send you on YET ANOTHER mission to learn the procedure.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 24, 2005, 10:11:39 PM »

Ahh ok thnx. I kept wondering how Id miss a 2nd town as linear as the game is.

I cant wait to get higher in lvl..think im 16...so I can go back and get the mithril ore for the guy I got the anvil back for. He's supposed to make me a nice weapon. All the melee weps ive got sucks. There was a lvl 24 guarding the door though so having to wait. I did get it 1/4 hurt though when i was lvl 12 smile

gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 24, 2005, 10:34:20 PM »

Here's my party now, after adding the pack mule(Barney), he's so cute!

This game is lots of fun, WAY better than the demo would lead you to believe.  I like how I have lots to do(npc dialogues, buying and selling gear, quests) but never feel rushed or pressured to do any of it before I want to.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: August 24, 2005, 10:38:32 PM »

Nice ass!  Er.... :shock:

As for that dungeon...you'll be coming back when you are around level 20 methinks.  The one guy is tough but the swarm of L20-L24 characters, their bosses might convince you of that. smile  Besides..

*mild spoiler*
You can't pick up the weapon until you get to the second act anyway
*end spoiler*

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 24, 2005, 11:05:16 PM »

I'm also playing throug this, at the moment my character is Arthur, a sword and board fighter, I picked up Deru for nature magic, then eventually expanded my party to use Lothar as a combat mage. To round things out for ranged, I initially grabbed a Scorpion Queen, but swapped her out for Vix once he became available.

I thought about swapping out people for Finala, Eva, Taar, and/or Amren, but except for sidequests, I just don't think they fit the group dynamic.

"We do what we must because we can."
X-Box Live: TragicNut
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 25, 2005, 03:53:56 AM »

So here's the gang now, after a couple of more hours

I take my screenshots with Fraps, well during this session there I was taking pictures of all kinds of cool and funny things.  I exit the game only to realize that I had shut off Fraps at some point and forgot to start it again!  ARGH!

I had to restart the game so I could at least retake these portraits.  I wish there was an ingame key for screenshots.

Also, I have a question for anyone with a pet.  I find I'm caught in a tight spot, do I feed my extra stuff to the pet so he grows or do I sell it so I can buy better gear for my characters?  Right now I'm not making enough to do both.  What does anyone suggest?  My party is about level 11, with 3 members, so did I bite off more than I can chew?  I'm thinking I might have too many mouths to feed, so to speak.

edit: by the way, adding nointro=true to your shortcut target line will get rid of those annoying movies when you fire up the game.  Don't add a -, just a space then nointro=true
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: