http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 08:03:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dungeon Siege II: Anyone care?  (Read 26948 times)
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2005, 05:09:43 AM »

Quote from: "Mr. Bucket"
Quote from: "Rage"
I can't find an interface option to turn it back to classic style. as it is, you either click click click or just hold it down. It works well, isn't as hard to control as Diablo2, and the AI does keep your other characters auto-attacking if you switch.

There is actually an option for this under the game tab in the ESC menu.

I liked the first game for about 2 hours and then the monotony set in. It really did turn into a screen saver with all the auto attacking and easy difficulty and whatnot. But I gotta say, as a skeptic of the first game, I really enjoy DS2. It's like supercharged Diablo 2, except 3D and the storyline isn't quite as good. But you gotta give the developers props for listening to the complaints. They really did manage to make the simple system from the first game more complex, and it works great. The only gripe I have with the game is the limit they set on how many spells you can keep in your spellbook. Also when you start to get magic spell books, you gotta take out every single scroll in your original book and transfer it back into the new one.

Anyone else notice how they dropped the Chris Soandso name from the box?

Overall, I really dig this game and I will probably buy it.

Hmm I will have to look for it again, I searched the menus and couldn't find it.

I disagree with you about the story though. Perhaps it was just me, but other than the cinematics I thought Diablo 2's story was fairly simple and unengaging at best. The first 30 minutes of DS2 has more story, and frankly a more interesting, involved, better developed (it is obvious they spent ample time creating a rich, deep, involved background world to both the main story and for the extra stuff in books, scrolls, conversations, etc), and richer story than I found in the first 3 acts of Diablo 2 (I don't think I ever got past the end of act 3).

As with anything like that, I am sure YMMV. Either way I think I am going to uninstall the beta soon so I don't ruin anything more for the full game and dick around with the DS1 expansion while I wait smile
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2005, 02:29:31 PM »

I disagree with you about the story though. Perhaps it was just me, but other than the cinematics I thought Diablo 2's story was fairly simple and unengaging at best. The first 30 minutes of DS2 has more story, and frankly a more interesting, involved, better developed (it is obvious they spent ample time creating a rich, deep, involved background world to both the main story and for the extra stuff in books, scrolls, conversations, etc), and richer story than I found in the first 3 acts of Diablo 2 (I don't think I ever got past the end of act 3).

Hmm... the acts 2-4 movies of Diablo 2 are among the best cut-scenes in gaming history.

If you're saying DS2 is even better, then I am officially VERY interested in this game now.

I like a good story, it's what kept me playing Morrowind long after I realized the combat sucked.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2005, 09:00:52 PM »

Ok I don't have a lot of time Orgs, but let me try to explain what I mean:
The game doesn't seem to have a lot of the CGI magic that permeates Blizzard games so phenomenally. It starts with like a 7 minute, pretty nice looking CGI type intro that gives you all sorts of background  on the story, etc. Then you wake up, and are bombarded with info-you are like "wtf, I am some kind of mercenary with the bad guys, but I am a good guy, and now I am captured, not to mention the world is coming to an end and I need to save the elfs. Okkkkay". So basically everyone you talk to in the first village has some kind of lore to give you, some interesting, some not-as well as explaining the gameplay, etc.

As you progress in the story, you get in-game engine cutscenes that advance the story at certain plot points, some long, some short, some interesting, some not so much, etc. But in between all of this, while you are running around the world (yes its still fairly rail like, but so is Diablo2) you will encounter other people that will tell you all sorts of stories, give you background info on the war, your character, the world, etc. You will find books with information, ancient treasures, ghosts, etc and all of them flesh out the world of Aranna in a pretty outstanding way. So while it doesnt really have that cutscene magic of Diablo2, for a hack and slash RPG there is a simply astonishing amount of story, background information, etc. they must have a whole world encylopedia thingy in their offices, because there is a ton of info.

Now add on to that vastly improved gameplay mechanics, a whole host of new features, interesting skill trees and special powers (I got to try out the first fighter dual wield special power yesterday-let me just say it rocks) and I really think people are going to be blown away.

I know I am going to have to uninstall the beta so I don't spoil the full game. It's good times!
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2005, 11:04:01 PM »

The beta is very short compared to the one I tested from MS. So feel free to play it through. There is a historian in the Great Hall that has tons of lore and history. This game is very entertaining. I just don't know if I should like the Hak'u or kill them all. They are funny acting little buggers.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2005, 02:17:36 AM »

Quote from: "DamageInc"
The beta is very short compared to the one I tested from MS. So feel free to play it through. There is a historian in the Great Hall that has tons of lore and history. This game is very entertaining. I just don't know if I should like the Hak'u or kill them all. They are funny acting little buggers.

Yeah, that guy is a wealth of info-Im telling you man, they must have written a big novel's worth of backstory here. Either way, the beta is coming off, I have too much else to get through anyways smile

OH I FORGOT: I found the option for DS1 style clicking. Certainly helps with more going on!
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2005, 01:13:10 PM »

Mmm... special powers.

I'm in!

:lol:

EDIT: Any chance of me getting my hands on the beta somehow at this late date?

EDIT: Anyone seen a copy of the September PC Gamer with the DS2 Demo on the disc yet?

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2005, 05:51:18 PM »

Sorry, the september issue won't be out until early August.  When it does, that demo will be mine!
Scuba-V
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2005, 06:48:08 PM »

Well I got the PC Gamer magazine and the DVD about a week ago and decided to try the DS2 demo today.  Well, their DVD still sucks.  It takes forever to load and this one automatically tries playing the WoW intro and is acting like it's streaming it (stopping and stuttering).  I dug into the DVD through Windows Explorer and found the setup exe for the DS2 demo, but when I try to run it it says something along the lines of "can only run on Windows 98 or later" even though I have Windows 98 SE.  Nice job there.  Maybe I'll try it on my brother's computer that has XP when I get back from vacation.

Edit: Yep I think that's it.  I checked the Readme and one of the requirements is Windows XP SP 1.

Who reads these anyway?
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2005, 07:02:55 PM »

Scuba, if you want to mail me your DVD while you're on vaction, I can review it for you. biggrin

Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2005, 11:16:23 PM »

Woo! Just got my September PC Gamer... installing the demo now.

OOH Hellgate London Video... very cool.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2005, 12:38:16 AM »

I want to know what you think Orgsie. CHOP CHOP.

You still playing WoW?
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2005, 12:58:31 AM »

You still playing WoW?

No sir, my account is inactive right now... I guess I got burned out.

But if DS 2 multiplayer turns out to be good, let's get together and do some smashing!  Cool

Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2005, 03:17:41 PM »

First Impressions of the Dungeon Siege II demo

thumbsup Excellent production value: Interesting models and textures, colourful and exciting visuals. Sound and music are good, voice work is clear and sharp. Lots of polish, feels like a Blizzard Title.

thumbsup Compelling story and characters: Reminds me of a cross between Diablo and Baldur's Gate 2. Backstory manages to convey both atmosphere and a sense of place.

thumbsdown Limited skill tree: Replay value looks non-existant. Skill and Power tree limited to 4 classes and a half-dozen "you have to take them all" skills? I could be wrong though, I'll need to play the full game and experiment with the skill tree a bit before I decide.

thumbsdown Not enough loot: I am a loot whore (as Rage well knows  :lol:  ) and there is just nowhere near enough loot dropping. I want to be able to say "I couldn't see the ground, there was so much loot." Again, this is only the demo, maybe in the full game the loot will be more interesting.

Going to spend some more time with it today, see how it plays out.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2005, 03:27:25 PM »

Quote from: "Orgull"
First Impressions of the Dungeon Siege II demo

thumbsup Excellent production value: Interesting models and textures, colourful and exciting visuals. Sound and music are good, voice work is clear and sharp. Lots of polish, feels like a Blizzard Title.

thumbsup Compelling story and characters: Reminds me of a cross between Diablo and Baldur's Gate 2. Backstory manages to convey both atmosphere and a sense of place.

thumbsdown Limited skill tree: Replay value looks non-existant. Skill and Power tree limited to 4 classes and a half-dozen "you have to take them all" skills? I could be wrong though, I'll need to play the full game and experiment with the skill tree a bit before I decide.

thumbsdown Not enough loot: I am a loot whore (as Rage well knows  :lol:  ) and there is just nowhere near enough loot dropping. I want to be able to say "I couldn't see the ground, there was so much loot." Again, this is only the demo, maybe in the full game the loot will be more interesting.

Going to spend some more time with it today, see how it plays out.

Agreed with your points, except two things-there is really as much loot as say..Diablo2  smile at least that I have found, and there are all sorts of new "sets" of items and little hidden areas with cool stuff. I think you will be happy with the loot unless you expect every mob to spew forth buckets of treasure smile

I agree in part on the skill tree. I LIKE the skill tree, I like the direction they went with it, its certainly more RPGish, some of the powers are very cool, and you can actually create fairly different characters depending on what way you go.

Orgs, I think depending on level, you could very well get a lot of the tree and many of the powers. But some of them require going one way up the tree, and the toehrs go the opposite way (best example-fighter tree, if you go dual wield and get the cool thingy, or go two handed and get the cool skill-but to pump up those powers and to get to some of the other powers, you need like 9 points in one power and 6 or 7 in the other. So while it may not be incredibly diverse, there is some room for movement unless you max out everythign the first way through. Plus...different character classes smile A step in the right direction for an action rpg though.

Plus, I like your style with the thumbs up, etc. I should do that. Speaking of WoW, I think its time to delete the folder and get my 7 gigs back. I keep saying I am goign to boot it up...but no real desire. I would rather play this multiplayer with you.
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2005, 03:35:35 PM »

Plus, I like your style with the thumbs up, etc. I should do that. Speaking of WoW, I think its time to delete the folder and get my 7 gigs back. I keep saying I am goign to boot it up...but no real desire. I would rather play this multiplayer with you.

You a mind reader now as well as a lawyer?  :lol: (Gratz on finishing exam btw)

I think co-op multiplayer RPG's give a better experience than MMO's if you're playing with the right people. Original Dungeon Siege multiplayer was even better than the single-player campaign, IMHO.

I was just thinking the same thing about deleting WoW... but I can't bring myself to do it. I really love and miss all the Almost Heroes, even though most have migrated to other guilds. I guess if I uninstall it from my HD, my characters stay on Blizz's server so I can play them again if I reinstall?

I could really use 7 GB free.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2005, 03:42:23 PM »

You a mind reader now as well as a lawyer?  :lol: (Gratz on finishing exam btw)

I think co-op multiplayer RPG's give a better experience than MMO's if you're playing with the right people. Original Dungeon Siege multiplayer was even better than the single-player campaign, IMHO.

I was just thinking the same thing about deleting WoW... but I can't bring myself to do it. I really love and miss all the Almost Heroes, even though most have migrated to other guilds. I guess if I uninstall it from my HD, my characters stay on Blizz's server so I can play them again if I reinstall?

I could really use 7 GB free.

Yeah I think Blizz said they would stay pretty much permanently Orgs. I will be down for MP DS2 or something else if you decided to pass on it.

As for MMO's. Well, I may be done. I am thinking about booting up Everquest 2 and trying it, but other than that I am just beginning to doubt the entire purpose of playing MMOs. I like games that begin...and end. I like playing an RPG like its a real story, ykow?

I do miss AH and I truly enjoyed it. I would love a reunion in another game at some point, and I dont care who does the GMing. I think we had a great time while it lasted.
DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2005, 04:51:29 PM »

The loot that dropped in the PR version of the DEMO dropped alot more stuff, but as you progress you tend to see more cool items and set items drop in this demo as well. I had 3/4 of one set at the end of this demo.

You can also get items and enchant them, plus some items have bonuses to getting magical items and more gold to drop.

I am playing Vampire Masq -- Bloodlines until it comes out.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2005, 04:53:36 PM »

Quote from: "DamageInc"
The loot that dropped in the PR version of the DEMO dropped alot more stuff, but as you progress you tend to see more cool items and set items drop in this demo as well. I had 3/4 of one set at the end of this demo.

You can also get items and enchant them, plus some items have bonuses to getting magical items and more gold to drop.

I am playing Vampire Masq -- Bloodlines until it comes out.

There seem to be a virtual ton of items with which to enchant shit with. I dont think that function was complete in the MP beta, but it looked pretty cool.
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2005, 05:11:38 PM »

Ok, the more I play, the better the loot gets.

And the enchanting materials seem endless. This game is getting better and better the more I play. I just wandered of the beaten path and found a sanctuary with some rare weapons inside and I found a secret area with a hidden chest in the ground with several cool items in it.

I love loot.  biggrin

Rage, we MUST try this game multiplayer. I can't wait 'till it comes out. Maybe we can start a thread in the Multiplayer forum and get a nice group going?

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2005, 07:47:31 PM »

Ok, the more I play, the better the loot gets.

And the enchanting materials seem endless. This game is getting better and better the more I play. I just wandered of the beaten path and found a sanctuary with some rare weapons inside and I found a secret area with a hidden chest in the ground with several cool items in it.

I love loot.  biggrin

Rage, we MUST try this game multiplayer. I can't wait 'till it comes out. Maybe we can start a thread in the Multiplayer forum and get a nice group going?

I don't see why not, I think that sounds great. The main issue for me with these types of games multi is making sure people go in the same damn direction!! smile

I played DS1 through as an archer, so I think I will play DS2 as melee, and maybe go magic multiplayer. I think it will be cool, I wish they had moved up the release date, the game is done and there isn't a damn thing coming out now.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2005, 10:44:09 PM »

Someone wanna make a torrent for the demo?   biggrin

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2005, 11:59:28 PM »

Count me in for some MP, I will be going all Nature Mage, with a touch of Combat Mage just to get him going in the early on. We will have a good supply of heals and mana potions as well as a pet ;-)

Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2005, 05:28:10 AM »

Excellent DamageInc!

I'll post a thread in the MP forum about a week before DS 2 comes out so we can co-ordinate.

Any more interested parties?  smile

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2005, 12:05:20 PM »

Sure

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2005, 02:23:57 PM »

Anyone know when the DS2 demo is going to be available for public consumption? I'd hate to think not until the freakin game hits the stores!

And yes, I'm too cheap to buy the PC Gamer DVD.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 29, 2005, 02:35:39 PM »

Argh... Fileplanet and Gamespot don't have the demo yet, and my searches for a torrent have come up empty. Give it a few days and I'm sure someone will post it somewhere.

P.S. I stayed up till 3 am playing the demo last night after work, ha ha! I am really liking this game.

DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2005, 07:50:39 PM »

DS 2 Demo available on File Planet for all of you who missed the PC Gamer version

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2005, 08:03:10 PM »

Just go to www.ve3d.com and choose a link. Im gonna give it a try even though I disliked the first one. MP was ok. Im dloading at 350k from gamershell.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 03, 2005, 09:23:12 PM »

Slowest download evarararar. I dont even know why I am dling it, I loved the mp beta and I know I am buying this, so...
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2005, 10:21:07 PM »

I got 500K/sec from 3DGamers.  Also, the demo is different from the beta.  The demo starts from the beginning of the game, and probably ends right before the beta area begins.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2005, 10:30:10 PM »

My download died from Gamershell around 768 megs. I tried my normal fast site of filefront but its at 35k...so Im not gonna bother with it. Would'nt buy the game anyways so no loss.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2005, 10:46:41 PM »

Here's a link to the torrentl
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2005, 11:12:20 PM »

My dl died too and I am giving up. I know this is a day1, no need really to ruin any of the full game.
Ranulf
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2005, 11:14:57 PM »

I got it off of filerush's torret fairly fast. Probably took an hour or so. Demo is.. eh. Its ok, a bit better than #1.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2005, 02:56:56 AM »

I'm about an hour and a half away from playing the demo, but this remark in a preview I just read has killed about 99% of the chance I will buy this game any time soon:

"If you think you can simply reload a save point before your death to undo it, think again. Each gaming session, like Diablo, is saved only when you exit the game."

So I can't save when and where I want?  This IS 2005, isn't it? What a HUGE step backwards!  :evil:
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 04, 2005, 03:19:59 AM »

Err. If thats true, that effing sucks ass. I never heard that, and I DESPISE this feature of Diablo 2. So when you exit the game you can save it and it will reload when you come back exactly where you were? WHY for the love of god? Someone confirm this please.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 04, 2005, 03:32:27 AM »

Torrents never work for me..i get 7-18k on them so never use them. I hate that technology.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: August 04, 2005, 05:54:00 AM »

I wouldn't put too much stock in previews, we've seen lots of conflicting information from people here who have played the game, let alone what some random web writier throws up on his site.

Frankly, I doubt GPG would make such a foolish decision.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 04, 2005, 07:11:43 AM »

It's more like Diablo 1 - you can save anywhere, but you only have one save slot per character.  When you reload, you pick up right where you left off.  That's how it works in the demo, so I would assume that's how it will work in the full game.  According to the Gamespot preview -
But if you or your party is killed, you can use a resurrect spell (assuming there's anyone left to cast it), or else you will spawn at the nearest town, but with all your equipped items and 25-percent of your gold left behind at your gravestone. You can then ask a member of the Guild of Death to return all your equipment, but you'll lose your gold, or else you can simply travel back to the gravestone and all your stuff will magically reappear.

I wish they'd kept the standard save/load system.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 04, 2005, 07:29:24 AM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
It's more like Diablo 1 - you can save anywhere, but you only have one save slot per character.  When you reload, you pick up right where you left off.  That's how it works in the demo, so I would assume that's how it will work in the full game.  According to the Gamespot preview -
But if you or your party is killed, you can use a resurrect spell (assuming there's anyone left to cast it), or else you will spawn at the nearest town, but with all your equipped items and 25-percent of your gold left behind at your gravestone. You can then ask a member of the Guild of Death to return all your equipment, but you'll lose your gold, or else you can simply travel back to the gravestone and all your stuff will magically reappear.

I wish they'd kept the standard save/load system.

Based on that clip and what you said, couldn't you simply reload that single save? So, you can save, its just a pain because you can't really go back or save at different points during the game?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: