http://gamingtrend.com
November 20, 2014, 11:07:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dungeon Siege II: Anyone care?  (Read 27073 times)
Sarkus
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 21, 2005, 05:38:20 AM »

I noticed this went gold yesterday and got temporarily excited about the prospect of an RPG in a time of RPG desolation.  Then I loaded up DS1 and realized in about 10 minutes why I never finished that game.

So I'm wondering if anyone is going to get this thing?  It seems odd to me that it's taken this long to come out as well.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005, 05:57:18 AM »

From playing the beta, it seems like they've fixed what was wrong with the first game.  Pretty much all of the opinions of the beta I've seen have been positive, even those from people who didn't like the first game.  It definitely looks like a winner.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005, 06:28:28 AM »

Won't be a day one purchase but if the reviews and word of mouth are posotive about GPG fixing the flaws of the first game I'd drop money on it.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2005, 09:59:15 AM »

I'll likely pick this one up in the first week or two.  I'm really into fiddling with Garry's mod(HL2) right now as far as gaming goes, but the Fate demo has juiced me up for a good action hack n slash.  Since I thought DS was a good game of that type, unless they removed all the good stuff, part two should be just what I'm looking for.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2005, 10:33:51 AM »

We'll have the game pretty early so you can expect reviews fairly quickly....

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2005, 11:07:25 AM »

I'm on the other end, I loved Dungeon Siege but I'm concerned that the changes have ruined the game. This should be a day one purchase for me but adding "a real skill tree" and "lots of clicking in combat" pretty much kills a lot of the interest. There is suppose to be a single player demo on pc gamer. I'll try it once it hits the news stands.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2005, 11:48:24 AM »

I had initially dismissed the game also.  I can say that I liked the first game, but for some reason it just didn't hold my interest.  I don't even remember why to be honest.

I saw the latest screenshots that are up on the CG Main Site and have to admit they caught my eye.  I will certainly get it if the general concensus is positive, otherwise, I will pass without giving it much thought.

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
warning

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2005, 12:39:48 PM »

I'm actually playing through the first game.  I tried once but only got to the ice caves at the beginning.  I'm past that now on my second playthrough.  I decided I'd only use a party of four (warrior, archer, combat mage and nature mage) and so far that's been pretty fun and strategic.

I'll probably pick up the second one as well.  Dungeon Siege is currently my go-to game.  I play it for 10-45 minutes at a time when I don't have anything to do and it's entertaining right now.

I hope the sequel has more personalized characters and a better integrated story though.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2005, 01:53:29 PM »

I'll be getting it - I enjoyed the first game more than most.
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2005, 02:30:23 PM »

Sure, I care.

I'm keeping an eye on it. Not a day 1 purchase, but if early reports are good, maybe a week1 or 2.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2005, 02:46:27 PM »

Gas Powered Games seems to have realized their first game had the interactivity of a screen saver.  I'd say that's a good thing.  I might mean I get to do more in Dungeon Siege 2 than click the potion buttons -- which, if I remember correctly, was the only non-automated part of the game.

Viva le click.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2005, 05:59:11 PM »

I've made no secret I hated the first one, but I have hope for the second one.  If initial reviews are good, I will buy it the first discounted sale price I see (Normally a wek or two after release).

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2005, 06:27:52 PM »

No interest right now.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2005, 06:34:29 PM »

Day 1. The beta is awesome and I loved the first. Really they did everything I would have wanted to improve it.
Qbert
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2005, 06:43:48 PM »

I thought it was ok, it had potential, but I absolutely HATED the following:

1) Hacks and cheats...didn't we get over this with Diablo 2...it's like a step backwards in time.

2) The damn frickin' auto pause crap while somewhile joined a game.  It's a mp game damn it, people will be joining ang quiting constantly, are we to endure constant pauses?

Other than that, I would have liked it a whole lot better, but, in the end, it was just hype.........diablo killer my ass!

Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2005, 07:09:28 PM »

I'm very interested.

RAGE! How about some multi-player DS2 action when it comes out? biggrin

gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2005, 11:50:32 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
We'll have the game pretty early so you can expect reviews fairly quickly....

I look forward to reading that.

What I hoping for is that they kept everything from the first game, while adding the new features on top of that.  I'm hoping that the fundemental gameplay hasn't been changed to accomodate the new stuff.

For instance, I liked that you could adjust your characters' AI to either do everything except drink potions by themselves, or make them completely braindead like in Diablo 2, where you have to make every move for them.
RamPanther
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2005, 12:08:59 AM »

I loved the first game for the exact reason most people hated it: no constant CLICKCLICKCLICKCLICK of my mouse button.  My only true complaint about the game was that it lacked a large assortment of interesting, powerful treasure drops. I love exploring new environments and discovering fabulous items. DS had plenty of the first part and little of the second.

If DS II has better drops and a wider assortment of weapons, I'll be very happy.
unbreakable
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2005, 12:15:20 AM »

When people say they hope it keeps stuff from the first game, I'm curious what was there to 'keep'?  

I got it fairly early, since I was looking forward to it, and was VERY disappointed with it.  The screensaver comment was 100% dead-on, with no exaggeration.  Heck, there was even a small mod that would click the potion button for you, so it could be almost entirely non-interactive.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2005, 02:13:12 AM »

Quote from: "Rob_Merritt"
I'm on the other end, I loved Dungeon Siege but I'm concerned that the changes have ruined the game. This should be a day one purchase for me but adding "a real skill tree" and "lots of clicking in combat" pretty much kills a lot of the interest.

So they turned it into Diablo 3? Eh. Still no interest despite admitting the screen shots look awful purdy.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
RaptorRed
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2005, 03:01:30 AM »

I actually liked the first game.

So I have this one on order.

I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2005, 04:36:11 AM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
When people say they hope it keeps stuff from the first game, I'm curious what was there to 'keep'?  

For me, it was stuff like:  no waiting for levels to load, almost complete control over the camera, being able to see your characters wearing or using the gear you equip them with, playing the game solo or with a party and being able to adjust that as you play(ie dropping off party members), no running back to town to sell crap cause you can just pile it on your packmules, complete control over your characters from formations to AI, useful things like being able to push a button and have your characters pick up all the loot automatically.

And of course, gorgeous graphics and great sound, so that the game has that 'I'll play a little more until I see the next area' vibe.  DS was the last game I stayed up late to play because I just HAD to see the next area.
Gordon Bleu
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2005, 05:15:23 AM »

Demo?
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2005, 05:35:31 AM »

Sometime in the next few weeks, but no announcement other than the demo on this months pc gamer.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2005, 07:56:09 AM »

I'm not sure where you got the whole "added clicking" idea from.  From the many videos I've seen of the gameplay, it still has the DS1 style of one click to do a task until done.

In general, there's more clicking, but that's because you're interacting with the game more by having to use the skills and powers that the characters now have.  Also, it seems like the AI is smarter so if you've got the difficulty a bit higher, you'll have to be on the ball about prioritizing enemies.

This is no where near Diablo's break a mouse once a month gameplay.  I used to help out at a cybercafe when the Diablo expansion came out.  I swear we went through mice like crazy during those times.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2005, 08:53:21 AM »

"I'm not sure where you got the whole "added clicking" idea from. From the many videos I've seen of the gameplay, it still has the DS1 style of one click to do a task until done."
I think that in DS2 you have to hold the mouse down to continue attacking an enemy, rather than just clicking on it once in the first game.  There's no more clicking, but it's somewhat more interactive than just clicking once and then watching your character attack.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Mustang66
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2005, 03:06:02 PM »

Has anyone tried the demo on this month's (Sept) PC Gamer DVD?  It doesn't say anything but World of Warcraft on the sleeve but the demo is on there.

There's also a long, violent movie from Hellgate London.  I don't think it's in game footage but it's pretty cool.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2005, 03:49:54 PM »

Welcome Mustang66.  I've not gotten my copy of the mag yet.  :/  They are aaaalways late.  As for Hellgate: London - based on what I saw at E3 its gonna be a lot of fun.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2005, 11:20:26 PM »

I got the Demo too, but I have played it already. I really liked DS I.  They have improved on some things while keeping many of the cool features of the original. I am thinking of playing the demo again because I may not be able to hold out until the middle of August. I give a big thumbs up so far. Oh, and Eddie is correct about the clicking differences.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2005, 07:28:22 AM »

I think it would be foolish to require someone to hold the button down since they're dealing with a party.  Stopping an attack to switch character to use a power or something would really detract from gameplay.

Are you guys sure you have to hold the button down to keep attacking?  Is this just an interface option?
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2005, 09:05:47 AM »

I think that the continuous click only applies to the character you're currently controlling.  If you switch characters, I would assume the AI would take over the character you just deselected and would continue attacking/casting/etc.  You can still manage the party, but no matter who you're controlling, you're always doing something.  I may be wrong, though.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2005, 07:38:48 PM »

I can't find an interface option to turn it back to classic style. as it is, you either click click click or just hold it down. It works well, isn't as hard to control as Diablo2, and the AI does keep your other characters auto-attacking if you switch.

I am still a tad annoyed about the hold down thing-I found it easier to do other stuff with my characters when I knew they would auto attack. Maybe I am missing an option or they can be convinced to patch it in. I am really enjoying the beta, and I can tell you the first...30 minutes of the beta has as must stroy as the first 5 hours of DS-its very interesting, quite deep, and there is actually quite a bit of dialogue and exposition. I need to stop myself playign it, because the real deal will be out soon.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2005, 11:36:07 PM »

Is the demo downloadable yet?

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2005, 12:06:33 AM »

Not as far as I know, and I did some checking around as well.
You can get it on the PC Gamer DVD that just came out. It comes with the September 2005 issue.
BTW the demo is 1.6 Gigs in size so the game is gonna be super huge.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2005, 03:34:40 AM »

Quote from: "DamageInc"
Not as far as I know, and I did some checking around as well.
You can get it on the PC Gamer DVD that just came out. It comes with the September 2005 issue.
BTW the demo is 1.6 Gigs in size so the game is gonna be super huge.

Yes the game looks to be simply enormous. I would imagine it will easily be 50 hours, and it looks like it will actually have story to go with it smile

No download yet that I have seen LE.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2005, 05:30:58 AM »

The main story is supposed to 60 hours, plus sidequests.  Given the amount of quests and enemies listed in the in-game journal, it definitely looks like it will be a lengthy adventure.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2005, 05:51:34 AM »

SEXY!! Im super excited, I really am. I wonder if I should try to get a DS1 playthrough again first (started a new guy a few days ago during a break) or just wait so I dont get bored of this type of game..
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2005, 07:14:04 AM »

I'd suggest you wait.  There's really no story to DS1 so you don't need to play it to get into DS2.

That said, I'm most looking forward to the coop play in DS2.  My friends and I finally have some time for a little lan party action and a game like DS2 would be perfect for us.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2005, 07:21:58 AM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
I'd suggest you wait.  There's really no story to DS1 so you don't need to play it to get into DS2.

That said, I'm most looking forward to the coop play in DS2.  My friends and I finally have some time for a little lan party action and a game like DS2 would be perfect for us.

Well I did play through it before when it first came out, and about halfway through again like a year ago. I just reinstalled it the other day with the expansion that I never actually got around to playing, and was thinking about running through it again before the sequel, but considering that they are not really related and that type of gameplay can get a little old if you overdo it...maybe I will play a bit and then just hold off smile
Mr. Bucket
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2005, 03:42:01 AM »

Quote from: "Rage"
I can't find an interface option to turn it back to classic style. as it is, you either click click click or just hold it down. It works well, isn't as hard to control as Diablo2, and the AI does keep your other characters auto-attacking if you switch.

There is actually an option for this under the game tab in the ESC menu.

I liked the first game for about 2 hours and then the monotony set in. It really did turn into a screen saver with all the auto attacking and easy difficulty and whatnot. But I gotta say, as a skeptic of the first game, I really enjoy DS2. It's like supercharged Diablo 2, except 3D and the storyline isn't quite as good. But you gotta give the developers props for listening to the complaints. They really did manage to make the simple system from the first game more complex, and it works great. The only gripe I have with the game is the limit they set on how many spells you can keep in your spellbook. Also when you start to get magic spell books, you gotta take out every single scroll in your original book and transfer it back into the new one.

Anyone else notice how they dropped the Chris Soandso name from the box?

Overall, I really dig this game and I will probably buy it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: