http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 12:53:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dungeon Siege 3  (Read 8928 times)
ydejin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 24, 2011, 03:34:15 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on June 24, 2011, 03:14:17 AM

A couple quick questions:

1.  Is there a way to expand the map at all, i.e. bring it up full screen?  Or is the mini-map in the corner the only option?
2.  Is there any indication of which items can and cannot be equipped by your character?  I blew half my gold on a "clasp" thinking it was the same as an amulet, then couldn't equip it.   icon_evil

1. I wish I knew that would be very useful.

2. At least on the XBox, check the image on the right side of the screen as you look at each equipment item, directly under the name of the item and directly on top of the cost of the item.  You should see a portrait of one of the four characters.  If it's your character or your companion (assuming you have a companion) you'll see that character's portrait in black and white.  If it's for a character you don't have it will show up as a silhouette only.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 26, 2011, 05:46:44 PM »

6 hours in, and DS3 has really grown on me.  I've been very impressed with a couple things.  One is the story, which is typically just throw-away in games like this.  They did a really good job creating an interesting world.  Second is the complexity of the combat system.  It took a couple hours to "click", but is an absolute blast now that it has.  It's far more than your standard hack-n-slash, and actually requires a great combination of strategy and quick reflexes.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 26, 2011, 06:00:17 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on June 26, 2011, 05:46:44 PM

6 hours in, and DS3 has really grown on me.  I've been very impressed with a couple things.  One is the story, which is typically just throw-away in games like this.  They did a really good job creating an interesting world.  Second is the complexity of the combat system.  It took a couple hours to "click", but is an absolute blast now that it has.  It's far more than your standard hack-n-slash, and actually requires a great combination of strategy and quick reflexes.

Is it better to play with a controller or keyboard and mouse?  Also, has a patch come out yet to improve keyboard and mouse?  I had read somewhere that the devs recognized it needed work.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 26, 2011, 06:11:51 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on June 26, 2011, 06:00:17 PM

Quote from: Gratch on June 26, 2011, 05:46:44 PM

Is it better to play with a controller or keyboard and mouse?  Also, has a patch come out yet to improve keyboard and mouse?  I had read somewhere that the devs recognized it needed work.

I'm actually playing on 360, but can't imagine trying to control this one with keyboard and mouse.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 26, 2011, 10:38:53 PM »

About how long is the game supposed to be?  Was that mentioned anywhere? 

Also... what is your initial thought on replay value? 

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 26, 2011, 10:39:44 PM »

I'm going to side with Gratch on this one. The game starts off slow, but after you start gaining some abilities ad learn more about the story, everything begins to click. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a solid hack and slash game.

You can buy it for $27 through an Amazon retailer, and $34 directly from Amazon. At those prices it is a no brainer for people who enjoy these types of games.

<edit> The game is about 9-12 hours long. Replay value would be relatively high, as each character plays differently
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 26, 2011, 10:48:06 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on June 26, 2011, 10:39:44 PM

<edit> The game is about 9-12 hours long. Replay value would be relatively high, as each character plays differently

I'd agree with Dante.  While I don't think they make drastic changes, there do appear to be some story points where you can make decisions that affect the way things play out.

I'd score it in the low 80's right now.  My only real gripe is that the loot system isn't terribly interesting.  You basically equip the most expensive you find.  I also haven't found a single thing that's worth buying in nearly 6 hours.

earicci
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 29, 2011, 11:46:17 AM »

Quote from: ydejin on June 24, 2011, 03:24:16 PM

Quote from: skystride on June 24, 2011, 02:52:07 PM

I don't understand why the game even drops/sells items for other classes in a single player game.  It's not like you can trade it or twink a new toon with it.

You get one of the other characters as a companion fairly early on.  I'm assuming ultimately you'll get to chose any of the other three characters to accompany you.  You get to equip and level up your companion.
Based on several reviews here on GT from those that stuck with it- time to at least download the demo. I liked I and II. Let's see.

Gamertag earicci on PS3 and Xbox 360
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 29, 2011, 12:02:16 PM »

Quote from: earicci on June 29, 2011, 11:46:17 AM

Based on several reviews here on GT from those that stuck with it- time to at least download the demo. I liked I and II. Let's see.

Be forewarned, DS3 is nothing like Dungeon Siege I and II.  DSI & II were basically straight-up Diablo clones, whereas DS3 is more similar to previous console style ARPG titles like Baldur's Gate:  Dark Alliance.  I'd actually say combat is far closer to something like The Witcher than your typical hack-n-slash.

I think those going in expecting the next Diablo/Torchlight/Titan Quest will be very disappointed.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 12:44:36 PM by Gratch » Logged

earicci
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 29, 2011, 02:24:55 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on June 29, 2011, 12:02:16 PM

Be forewarned, DS3 is nothing like Dungeon Siege I and II.  DSI & II were basically straight-up Diablo clones, whereas DS3 is more similar to previous console style ARPG titles like Baldur's Gate:  Dark Alliance.  I'd actually say combat is far closer to something like The Witcher than your typical hack-n-slash.

I think those going in expecting the next Diablo/Torchlight/Titan Quest will be very disappointed.
Okay, that is the take I was looking for. I will at least give the demo a go. Thanks for the post.

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 29, 2011, 02:30:02 PM »

It also looks as good as the Witcher 2 but within the constraints of a top down Diablo like view.  I'm impressed how fast it loads.  From clicking on the icon, I'm literally playing within 10 seconds.  It's probably the fastest loading game in my Steam library.

The game itself feels a bit like Legacy of Kain or an arcade game of that nature.  If you can accept that it's not a Diablo clone, it's actually quiet good.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 29, 2011, 03:12:23 PM »

Quote from: earicci on June 29, 2011, 02:24:55 PM

Okay, that is the take I was looking for. I will at least give the demo a go. Thanks for the post.

Two other quick thoughts:

-  This is a game that was designed for consoles first, and practically requires a gamepad to play.  While I haven't tried the PC version, I imagine that keyboard and mouse would be very difficult to pull off.
-  It took me quite a while (about an hour) to get the hang of the combat and other in-game systems (i.e. quests, loot stats, etc.).  Prior to everything "clicking", I actually quite disliked DS3.  Therefore, my guess is that most people's impressions from a short demo will be far less than favorable.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 03:15:29 PM by Gratch » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 29, 2011, 03:16:04 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on June 29, 2011, 03:12:23 PM

Quote from: earicci on June 29, 2011, 02:24:55 PM

One other quick thought.  This is a game that was designed for consoles first, and practically requires a gamepad to play.  While I haven't tried the PC version, I imagine that keyboard and mouse would be very difficult to pull off.

I played the PC demo and the mouse/keyboard controls seemed solid enough.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 29, 2011, 03:21:36 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 29, 2011, 03:16:04 PM

I played the PC demo and the mouse/keyboard controls seemed solid enough.

Not to me.  The game improved drastically when I stopped using M&K and plugged in my 360 controller.
ANZAC
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 29, 2011, 07:28:16 PM »

Can anyone tell me where you can download the manual?

How do you save in the game? There are save points indicated by revolving swirl type things but walking on top them doesn't seem to do anything, nothing indicates the game is being saved at these points or even after a major cinematic.

I think the lack of a manual or the ability to download one is a real deal breaker on this game. Sure you can hunt and peck to eventually find most of the stuff but it is really annoying at the start.

Inability to remap keys is also frustrating.

Also how do you switch stances other than going to the character screen? This should be a single key stroke.

There should be a bigger map as well. Seems like how to make a good rpg forgotten by this company.

Any help appreciated.

Byte me
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 29, 2011, 07:31:24 PM »

You playing with mouse/keyboard or gamepad?

Quote from: ANZAC on June 29, 2011, 07:28:16 PM

How do you save in the game? There are save points indicated by revolving swirl type things but walking on top them doesn't seem to do anything, nothing indicates the game is being saved at these points or even after a major cinematic.

Any interaction (save point, NPC, open doors, etc.) is done with RB.

Also how do you switch stances other than going to the character screen? This should be a single key stroke.

LB.  I'd be shocked if there wasn't a keyboard option for this.

There should be a bigger map as well.

Agreed.  The tiny mini-map is one of my biggest gripes.

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 29, 2011, 07:48:09 PM »

Did you skip the tutorial?  Pretty much all of the questions are covered in it.

The only thing I discovered with the minimap was you can zoom out a bit by pressing down on the d-pad.  Also up on the d-pad makes the direction to you current quest objective very obvious.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 07:50:03 PM by skystride » Logged
ANZAC
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 30, 2011, 03:24:17 AM »

Ok, got most of the problems sorted out, thanks.

One more question. When you buy from a trader how do you know what items fit your character?

Hate to blow half my hard earned cash to find out item is for a different character.

Byte me
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 30, 2011, 03:32:01 AM »

There is a character portrait behind each item.  It will show up if you have the character available, and will be a black silhouette if you don't.

ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 30, 2011, 12:45:07 PM »

Quote from: ANZAC on June 29, 2011, 07:28:16 PM

Can anyone tell me where you can download the manual?

Honestly the manual is pretty weak.  If you can't find the download on Steam, you're really not missing that much.  OTOH the in-game help system is quite extensive.  I spent a fair bit of time going through it, and it seems to do a pretty thorough job of explaining most of the game mechanics and what each of the statistics does.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 02, 2011, 09:00:10 PM »

Just wrapped up DS3.   I thought it was a very good game, and easily the best of the 3 DS titles.  A couple final thoughts:

1.  I finished at around 12 hours, and completed every side quest I came across.  The length felt just about right.  There's a good deal of replay value for those who want to play through with different characters, as each one has a vastly different style of play and you can make some very different story choices.
2.  Playing as Lucas (the melee-focused character), I ended up using my 1-handed weapon and skills almost exclusively for the latter half of the game.  In fact, I don't think I switched to my 2-hander a single time...there was never a need. 
3.  I never really warmed up to the loot system.  It simply boiled down to equipping the most expensive item in your inventory.  The myriad of skills that different items affected made it incredibly difficult to tell whether a new item at the shops would actually be an upgrade or not.  Therefore, I never ended up buying anything until the very last shop.  They could have done a better job here.
4.  Bravo to Obsidian on the ending, it was fantastic.  I remember the original DS being one of the worst endings I've ever seen (literally a paragraph of text after beating the final boss that basically said "Thanks for playing, there will be a sequel"), and this one more than makes up for it.  They tied up nearly all the loose ends, and really made me feel like my characters actions had a huge effect on the world of Ehb. 
5.  As with many action RPG's, things did get rather repetitive towards the end.  Especially with the multiple Return of the King-style fake endings.
6.  It looks decent, but not great.  Graphics get the job done, but they certainly aren't going to knock anyone's socks off.

Overall, this is a solid game with a lot to offer.  I'm not much for MP, so I can't speak to that aspect, but the single player experience is very well done.  I'd give it a B+ overall, and it's been the most fun I've had with a game released this year.

earicci
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 03, 2011, 01:24:08 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on July 02, 2011, 09:00:10 PM

Just wrapped up DS3.   I thought it was a very good game, and easily the best of the 3 DS titles.  A couple final thoughts:

1.  I finished at around 12 hours, and completed every side quest I came across.  The length felt just about right.  There's a good deal of replay value for those who want to play through with different characters, as each one has a vastly different style of play and you can make some very different story choices.
2.  Playing as Lucas (the melee-focused character), I ended up using my 1-handed weapon and skills almost exclusively for the latter half of the game.  In fact, I don't think I switched to my 2-hander a single time...there was never a need. 
3.  I never really warmed up to the loot system.  It simply boiled down to equipping the most expensive item in your inventory.  The myriad of skills that different items affected made it incredibly difficult to tell whether a new item at the shops would actually be an upgrade or not.  Therefore, I never ended up buying anything until the very last shop.  They could have done a better job here.
4.  Bravo to Obsidian on the ending, it was fantastic.  I remember the original DS being one of the worst endings I've ever seen (literally a paragraph of text after beating the final boss that basically said "Thanks for playing, there will be a sequel"), and this one more than makes up for it.  They tied up nearly all the loose ends, and really made me feel like my characters actions had a huge effect on the world of Ehb. 
5.  As with many action RPG's, things did get rather repetitive towards the end.  Especially with the multiple Return of the King-style fake endings.
6.  It looks decent, but not great.  Graphics get the job done, but they certainly aren't going to knock anyone's socks off.

Overall, this is a solid game with a lot to offer.  I'm not much for MP, so I can't speak to that aspect, but the single player experience is very well done.  I'd give it a B+ overall, and it's been the most fun I've had with a game released this year.

Nice review Gratch. I think I will give this one a go.

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 03, 2011, 02:02:18 PM »

Ill agree with Gratch on this one. DS3 has turned out to be a fun game.
 I went with the gun babe and she's been a lot of fun.  You have to do a bit of dancing with her because even when you run with the melee guy as your side kick, the mobs tend to focus on you and you have little survivability when youre being swarmed.  She is quite deadly from a distance though. 
 With her you do have to switch between 1 handed and dual quite often.  Its situational and depends on your gear but when you get swarmed your 2 handed mode (pistol and shotgun) is a must but when you have range your single handed (rifle) does massive damage.
 I didnt have quite the same issues with the loot system and actually bought a decent amount of gear at the stores trying to tweak certain skills/abilities.
Ill agree with Gratch on the graphics,  they are well done but not mindblowing. 
 I havent reached the end yet but Im pretty sure Im close being about 13 hours in, its been a lot more fun than I expected and I think its worth playing, especially those who want a very solid diablo type fix before the release of Diablo 3 sometime in 2018

oh and the fire chicks are hot!  icon_lol

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 03, 2011, 02:16:33 PM »

One other observation.  I ended up using the fire archon sidekick for the entire game.  There were two other sidekick options available, but I never really felt the need to use them.  Was glad the game didn't force their use through silly puzzles, and instead just let me play how I liked.   thumbsup

shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: July 12, 2011, 04:46:51 AM »

Played for about an hour and really enjoying the game so far.  I'm playing with a controller and the combat feels great.  The dialog is pretty good and there is a lot of stuff to read if you are interested in the world. 
I went with the sword guy, one because I like swords and the other is the voice actor.  I'm playing on Hardcore and have only died once while not paying attention, it looks like you can change the difficulty on the fly
so that's a good thing. 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 15, 2011, 02:48:35 PM »

well, finally cracked and grabbed this for cheap.  I started using Reinhart, who is pretty fun to play and if they had him in the demo I'd have been more likely to get it sooner.

I'm using the mouse/keyboard with him and haven't had any issues yet; targeting seems to be working better than it did in the demo, but then again I was using the flaming chick and her AoE attacks are definitely different than Reinharts.  I did re-map the keys a bit, so that might be why, or maybe as I unlock more stuff it'll become more cumbersome.

Because I can,
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 15, 2011, 03:44:29 PM »

I've been playing the PC version using a wired 360 controller and it works great!  Attacks are all mapped to face buttons, LB toggles stances. and the right trigger is used for enhancing abilities.  Inside of five minutes, I felt completely comfortable nailing enemies from across the screen with her rifle shots, blasting them in the face with the shotgun pistols if they got too close, and flinging out magical curses as I went.  nod

-Autistic Angel
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 15, 2011, 08:13:57 PM »

While it's playable with M&K, it just feels so much better with dual analogs.  I think I will have to try the same with Witcher 2.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 15, 2011, 08:26:27 PM »

Quote from: skystride on July 15, 2011, 08:13:57 PM

I think I will have to try the same with Witcher 2.

I may have to try that as well.  My biggest gripe with Witcher 2 (and the reason I quit playing, frankly) was the ridiculously clunky movement.  Controlling Geralt felt like driving a freaking tank.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 15, 2011, 09:45:53 PM »

Quote from: skystride on July 15, 2011, 08:13:57 PM

While it's playable with M&K, it just feels so much better with dual analogs.  I think I will have to try the same with Witcher 2.

I tried Witcher 2 with controller and didn't like it as much for some reason.  I just tried controller on Alice, though, and prefer that loads more than the M&K scheme I was struggling with.  I guess to each his own and all that.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: July 22, 2011, 03:17:27 PM »

Picked this up on the cheap earlier this week and I'm surprised at how much I've played it since.  It's not a particularly great looking game, it's not a particularly innovative game, and it's not a particularly well made game...but it has most of the basic ingredients of a good hack action/rpg with some some fun depth to combat thrown in that adds the addictive aspect for me.

If they allowed me to customize my characters more (I'm a prude, I like playing male characters because i'm male...and the gun wielding witch, let's face it, is the coolest character in the game) and had a little better inventory UI, I'd be more enthusiastic.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 22, 2011, 09:38:38 PM »

Based on Gratch's completion time, I'm about 75% through the game with Katarina. 

I'm still confused the criticism I've read that your gear just boils down to equipping the most expensive thing in your inventory.  Perhaps that's true for certain character builds -- or if you don't care about the specifics of your build -- but I've often chosen to keep older, cheaper equipment because it maximized my Agility-based Critical Hit skills and bonuses.

-Autistic Angel
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 01, 2011, 11:40:46 PM »

DLC!

Because I can,
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 02, 2011, 05:48:13 AM »

Siliconera has details on the DLC.  It will take place in the Aranoi desert, increase the level cap to 35, and allow you to enchant weapons and armor.  It's supposed to be out next month.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 30, 2011, 02:26:45 AM »

Steam has a special right now that has all three DS games for $28. 
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 25, 2012, 03:39:17 PM »

I picked up the 360 version of this the other day as it price dropped to $25 in a EB sale. I'm about 4 hours in, but I have to say I'm blown away by it - IMO easily the best game Obsidian game to date and I say that having very much enjoyed NWN2 and expansions. I'd read a few reviews a year ago, so I wasn't expecting a straight up hack'n'slash like the original -which I never did complete- but I also wasn't expecting a game so rich in lore with what appears to be a very fleshed out world setting. I'm not far in but I'd already echo all the positives Gratch gave it earlier. This has to be 1 of the best RPG's that hardly anyone played - can't believe this didn't even get its own thread in the console forum.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 25, 2012, 03:43:04 PM »

i played the demo and enjoyed it (and i like obsidians work too) but i think it was a victim of bad timing.  if my memory is correct, even though i liked the demo there were probably 4 or 5 other games i had been REALLY looking forward to coming out at around the same time (which never happens for me).  by the time i went through those, i admit to basically having forgotten this one frown  maybe your post will inspire me to go pick it up
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 25, 2012, 05:05:33 PM »

Played co-op at the higher difficulties, Dungeon Siege III really shines.  The characters mesh really well together, and even though they share a few basic abilities like the ability to heal and buff each other, they're each have really distinctive feels to them.

I think the biggest problem was that buzz started that the co-op was kind of broken, when it's really just weirdly restrictive.  Maybe things would have gone better with a more open Diablo-style ability to bring your characters into other people's games.

Anyway, I really enjoyed it too! thumbsup

-Autistic Angel
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 25, 2012, 05:22:15 PM »

I tried going back to this after the Diablo 3 beta, but the gameplay felt very meh after D3.

Because I can,
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 25, 2012, 05:53:16 PM »

Yep, I could see where someone wanting a Diabloesque experience will find this game lacking. As others have already said in the thread, DS3 isn't really that style of RPG. My personal preferences are the opposite; I tried both of the earlier Diablo games and never felt compelled to complete them.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: