http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 10:18:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dungeon Siege 3  (Read 8565 times)
kronovan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 07, 2011, 07:56:53 PM »

The only significant redeeming quality of this game for me is 2-player co-op. I haven't tried the PC version yet, but I ran through the 360 version twice. Controls did seem a bit unresponsive, not to the point where it would make gameplay a pain, but having recently come off playing Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 there was a noteable difference between this game and it. I wasn't bothered too much by the voiceacting - certainly not the best I've encountered in this type of game, but also far from the worse. The demos levels seemed very confining and I'm wondering if the environments in the final game will be as restrictive.

The support for local split-screen co-op means I'll eventually get it, but I can't see it being a day 1 unless the final game is significantly better than the demo.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 07, 2011, 08:43:44 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on June 07, 2011, 10:28:44 AM

Fallout NV seems to be the only thing keeping Obsidian afloat now. If it weren't for that, it'd be a string of failures.

vegas was good, falling through the world constantly was not.

Oh, I forgot about the whole crappy ass MP aspect of this game. only the host gets xp? wtf is that seriously?
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: June 08, 2011, 03:00:05 AM »

Played the demo.  Felt like it might be fun on consoles if you were playing with a group of friends but as a PC game it's pretty lackluster.  Controls felt awkward with mouse and keyboard, voice acting was awful and the story was uninteresting enough that I just skipped it.  The one thing I really liked is that when I finally leveled up there were about 3-4 different screens worth of customization for my character. 
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 08, 2011, 06:00:50 AM »

Played the PC demo for about twenty minutes and uninstalled it. Movement and camera controls were horribly awkward and nothing else grabbed me enough to bear with it.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 08, 2011, 03:23:38 PM »

Uninstalled before I even got to fight anything.  The controls on PC were so horrible I didn't even bother to go on.  It's too bad, as I was really looking forward to this title.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 08, 2011, 05:08:45 PM »

I actually enjoyed the first 2 Dungeon Siege games, the 2nd more than the first.  This game doesn't seem anything like the first, for better or worse.  They seem to have completely abandoned the somewhat tactical party based gameplay, and gone for a pure action rpg.  I like action rpgs, but what they have on display in the demo isn't cutting it.  Good action rpgs need good combat (and loot), and as someone else mentioned earlier, the combat just doesn't feel right.  The enemies do seem to float across the screen without any weight or mass, especially when they are closing ground to reach me.

After playing the demo twice and really trying to give it a fair shot (fully using the skills and stances), I just don't like the combat.  They don't help themsleves with the story and voice acting either.  The guy who voices Lucas is ok, but the actress (with voice special effect added) for Anjali is terrible.  And then there's the dreaded Jane Kessender lol.  Not Jane Kessender...we're screwed! 

Maybe this is a case of bad demo, better game.     
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 08, 2011, 05:39:21 PM »

Interesting the camera control is so poor for the PC demo. I actually though it was more than decent for the 360 version. Does the PC demo support 360 controllers, and has anyone tried it with one to see if the camera's works better?
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: June 08, 2011, 05:47:29 PM »

The control works fine with a 360 controller.  The camera seemed to work the same as the 360 version the viewing angle might be a bit different but pretty close.

I really didn't like the 360 demo but after playing the PC version I may pick this up.   I would def play with a 360 controller.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 08, 2011, 06:30:46 PM »

Seems like alotta hate for the PC demo.  It almost seems like people are going in wanting to hate it and then easily finding things to hate.  Personally I thought it was OK, keeping in spirit with the original 2 games, but visually far advanced.  I thought it looked fantastic playing at full resolution (2560x1440) and everything maxxed out.  The controls were serviceable, and apparently you can move with W/S which I did not know.  I was moving with RMB which I thought was OK given I play so much LoL now.  I thought the combat was a little off with the shield (using the guy) but improved when I switched to the 2-handed stance.  I died quite a few times (normal) so I'm a bit surprised people were saying it was so easy.  Maybe I just didn't know what I was doing lol.  I'm actually more interested in playing the shooter class chick, and I don't know what the 4th one is.  Might also try the fire chick to see if it's different. 

Now granted I'm desperate for any action-RPG, but all things considered I thought this looked OK.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 08, 2011, 06:35:53 PM »

I can say the game gave me nothing to hate, but it didn't give me anything to love either. I think the general reception is 'meh', not hate.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 08, 2011, 07:23:49 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 08, 2011, 06:35:53 PM

I can say the game gave me nothing to hate, but it didn't give me anything to love either. I think the general reception is 'meh', not hate.
Right, just 'meh' for me, not hate.  I didn't care for the combat, and that's critical for an action rpg.   
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 08, 2011, 07:44:28 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on June 08, 2011, 06:30:46 PM

Seems like alotta hate for the PC demo.  It almost seems like people are going in wanting to hate it and then easily finding things to hate.  Personally I thought it was OK, keeping in spirit with the original 2 games, but visually far advanced.  I thought it looked fantastic playing at full resolution (2560x1440) and everything maxxed out.  The controls were serviceable, and apparently you can move with W/S which I did not know.  I was moving with RMB which I thought was OK given I play so much LoL now.  I thought the combat was a little off with the shield (using the guy) but improved when I switched to the 2-handed stance.  I died quite a few times (normal) so I'm a bit surprised people were saying it was so easy.  Maybe I just didn't know what I was doing lol.  I'm actually more interested in playing the shooter class chick, and I don't know what the 4th one is.  Might also try the fire chick to see if it's different. 

Now granted I'm desperate for any action-RPG, but all things considered I thought this looked OK.

a bad game is a bad game. this is one of such. everything is subpar, from the floating combat, to horrible controls, horrible ui, I had to keep checking to make sure I was actually playing in 1080 because the UI was so huge. Lets not forget the most retarded multiplayer system ever.

No, people are hating this game because it's fucking terrible.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 13, 2011, 12:54:29 AM »

Finally got around to playing the demo on the 360.  Seemed pretty decent.  I'll probably get it at some point.  If it were available right now I'm sure I'd pick it up, since I'm mostly between games (although playing lots of World of Tanks).  We'll see if I'm hooked on something when it comes out, or if I'm still between games.

I thought the graphics looked good.  The combat felt okay to me, although I didn't pay much attention to subtleties like using my various powers.  Seems like it would be a fun light-weight hack-and-slash game.
Crabbs
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 13, 2011, 02:57:17 PM »

I really wanted to like this game as a filler before D3 comes out (cough cough).

Fifteen minutes with the demo left me very frustrated at the controls. In no way are they intuitive but they actually are quite nauseating trying to swing the camera right and left while walking down the paths. I liked the graphics and feel of the game, but I don't think I'll be able to adjust to the controls to make this one a purchase.

Maybe I'll try the PS3 demo to see if I like that any better.

The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.'
- Bertrand Russell -

Wii # 2042 8377 5645 6582
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 13, 2011, 07:40:18 PM »

I tried the PC demo on the weekend and I was thoroughly underwhelmed. The UI is ridiculous: aside from being overlarge, it's animation-happy. Clicking on a loot chest causes the loot to jump out of the chest onto the ground, where you have to click on it again to actually pick it up. And opening the journal/inventory screens also has a little animation that you have to sit through every single time before you can actually do anything.

The voice acting also struck me as lacklustre, as others have pointed out, and I found the controls clunky as well.

Worse, this seems like a really weird choice for an Obsidian game, because story is what they generally do well, and I didn't see anything more than the typical-for-Dungeon-Siege paper-thin story in this one.

Unless the demo is just really unrepresentative of what's to come, for which I'll have to wait for the professional reviews, I'll be passing on this.

- Ash
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 14, 2011, 06:57:27 AM »

The demo didn't blow me away, but RPGs often don't demo well.  I wish they'd made a demo out of a later portion of the game where you have more skills, as the first hour of most action RPGs is fairly boring.  I'll be waiting on reviews, but I'm still optimistic about how the full game will turn out.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 14, 2011, 12:19:31 PM »

Some an odd TV commercial with two guys playing something co-op and killing uglies "IRL" while Nilsson's theme song from The Courtship of Eddie's Father played. Turned out to be this game.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 14, 2011, 11:17:48 PM »

Played the PC demo.  I didn't think it was all that bad.

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 18, 2011, 02:57:24 AM »

The game is getting some good reviews, ranging from 7.5/10 to 8.4/10.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Warfran
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 18, 2011, 04:07:25 PM »

Definitely mixed opinions on this game, demo's usually end up ruining games for me, but still tempted to give it a try.

If nothing else it reminded me I bought Dungeon Siege II Deluxe edition at Walmart on a old stock sale, hadn't installed it, doing that now.
Warfran
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 19, 2011, 05:11:43 PM »

Well tried the demo and found that this is the first game I haven't been able to run on my two year old computer frown , it requires an ATI 3870 and I only have a 3850 so the graphics are corrupted when I start the game even at the lowest settings even though everything else exceeds the min requirements.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 20, 2011, 09:44:55 PM »

Those looking for deep skill trees and manual stat tweaking will not get what they want out of this game. In what is both a blessing and a potential curse, Dungeon Siege III is very much a "casual" role-playing experience, in which most of the thinking has been done for you and your only concern is amassing vast quantities of loot while kicking the crap out of giant spiders and goblins. This approach will be seen by some as a "dumbed down" experience, but if you want a game that dispenses with busywork and gets right down to the acquisition of riches and power, then Dungeon Siege III provides the instant gratification you're looking for.

First sentence = bad!

Second/third sentence = good!
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 21, 2011, 08:21:22 AM »

It sounds like the multiplayer co-op is a bit of a disaster. All characters share the same screen, forcing them to stay within about twenty feet of each other. One player is selected as "primary" and the others essentially just step into the roles of the AI. They don't get to manage their own equipment or skills-all done by the primary player. Fifteen minutes of co-op gameplay here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBH-ODa5qyA&feature=feedu (NSFW language)

Too bad, really. Some of my best co-op memories are from Dungeon Siege 1 and it seems like Obsidian completely scrapped everything that made it fun.

Jag

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 21, 2011, 01:27:38 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on June 20, 2011, 09:44:55 PM

Those looking for deep skill trees and manual stat tweaking will not get what they want out of this game. In what is both a blessing and a potential curse, Dungeon Siege III is very much a "casual" role-playing experience, in which most of the thinking has been done for you and your only concern is amassing vast quantities of loot while kicking the crap out of giant spiders and goblins.

First sentence = bad!

Second/third sentence = good!

Between this and Skyrim, I don't have much hope for RPGs. These types of games just get boring as hell. Button mash + button mash = loot, repeat ad naseum.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 21, 2011, 01:39:26 PM »

Quote from: Gryndyl on June 21, 2011, 08:21:22 AM

It sounds like the multiplayer co-op is a bit of a disaster. All characters share the same screen, forcing them to stay within about twenty feet of each other. One player is selected as "primary" and the others essentially just step into the roles of the AI. They don't get to manage their own equipment or skills-all done by the primary player. Fifteen minutes of co-op gameplay here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBH-ODa5qyA&feature=feedu (NSFW language)

Too bad, really. Some of my best co-op memories are from Dungeon Siege 1 and it seems like Obsidian completely scrapped everything that made it fun.

Kato and I played the demo on 360 coop and turned it off in frustration after very little time.  We did both get to manage our characters though, not sure why that would change from demo to full game. 
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 21, 2011, 03:25:21 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on June 21, 2011, 01:39:26 PM

Quote from: Gryndyl on June 21, 2011, 08:21:22 AM

Kato and I played the demo on 360 coop and turned it off in frustration after very little time.  We did both get to manage our characters though, not sure why that would change from demo to full game. 

It is certainly possible that lack of character management was an error on the part of the reviewers. It did seem in that video that gear was only dropping for the primary character, however.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 21, 2011, 03:33:40 PM »

Leaning towards picking this up (I need anything to scratch the hack-n-slash itch while we wait for D3), but am torn on console vs. PC.  A couple reviews I read mentioned that they thought the console version actually controls better than the PC flavor, which I found interesting.

Plus, it can go up in the trading forum if I end up disliking it.  smile

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 21, 2011, 08:30:47 PM »

Quote from: Jag on June 21, 2011, 01:27:38 PM

These types of games just get boring as hell. Button mash + button mash = loot, repeat ad naseum.

That is exactly what Diablo 3 is going to be and we're gonna love every second of it smile
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 21, 2011, 08:32:39 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on June 21, 2011, 03:33:40 PM

Leaning towards picking this up (I need anything to scratch the hack-n-slash itch while we wait for D3), but am torn on console vs. PC.  A couple reviews I read mentioned that they thought the console version actually controls better than the PC flavor, which I found interesting.

I plugged in my 360 controller into the PC and it works great.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 21, 2011, 08:36:08 PM »

Quote from: skystride on June 21, 2011, 08:32:39 PM

If I'm going to play it with a controller, it may as well be on my big TV from the couch.  smile 

shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: June 22, 2011, 12:09:42 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on June 21, 2011, 08:36:08 PM

If I'm going to play it with a controller, it may as well be on my big TV from the couch.  smile 

You don't have your PC connected to you big TV?
I did this a long time ago I really don't want to play any game except for maybe Terraria on a PC monitor.

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 22, 2011, 03:00:11 PM »

Quote from: shon on June 22, 2011, 12:09:42 AM

I did this a long time ago I really don't want to play any game except for maybe Terraria on a PC monitor.

What kind of couch do you have where it's convenient to use a keyboard and mouse?  Also I think a lot of people just want to avoid that clutter in their living room.  It's already bad enough with multiple consoles.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 22, 2011, 03:37:55 PM »

PC and TV are in separate rooms on opposite sides of the house, so no.

Back on topic, I put in about 45 minutes with DS3 last night.  The gameplay seemed decent enough, I suppose, but the whole package is incredibly cliche and lacks any sort of real "personality".  Didn't really grab me right off the bat, but we'll see if it improves.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 22, 2011, 07:23:15 PM »

Quote from: skystride on June 22, 2011, 03:00:11 PM

Leaning towards picking this up (I need anything to scratch the hack-n-slash itch while we wait for D3), but am torn on console vs. PC.  A couple reviews I read mentioned that they thought the console version actually controls better than the PC flavor, which I found interesting.

If I'm going to play it with a controller, it may as well be on my big TV from the couch.  smile  

What kind of couch do you have where it's convenient to use a keyboard and mouse?  Also I think a lot of people just want to avoid that clutter in their living room.  It's already bad enough with multiple consoles.

I just use a Logi Wireless keyboard and mouse and have them resting in a large serving tray I bought at some big box store - just sit on the couch, put it on my lap and away I go. My black box gamin rig is tucked away in a corner so you really never notice it. If I want a more precise kb+mouse experience, I have a compact wired keyboard and Logi gaming mouse that I just plug into the front USB ports and place on a fold-up, hardwood TV table. There really isn't much clutter or incovenience at all to it, but it does take a shift in mind set away from sitting down at a computer workstation to game.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 07:25:25 PM by kronovan » Logged
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 22, 2011, 08:20:09 PM »

I've tried it and didn't like it.  A tray just moves around too much.  A table would work but is too inconvenient to move and I'm lazy about that sort of thing (e.g. I never bring out the steering wheel for racing games).  There's also nothing wrong with my 24" PC setup.  It's virtually the same experience as my 60" TV since I'm sitting closer.  Also I have lots of peripherals for my PC that would not be feasible to move (TrackIR, joysticks, pedals, etc).

Played DS3 for about 30 mins and it seems fun.  It feels more like an action game with some ARPG elements than a Diablo clone which is fine if that's what they were going for.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 22, 2011, 10:52:11 PM »

Played an hour+ multiplayer with ibdoomed last night (PC/Steam version).  Definitely some mixed impressions.

I like the overall graphical look.  YMMV.  Also like the 4 different/distinct characters.  Voice acting is hit and miss, as is overall writing and humor.  MP seemed to startup very easily via Steam.  Voice chat was enabled automatically.

When I played single player on keyboard only, I was able to manage the nausea I felt during the demo.  But in MP it was very very difficult to play using the keyboard to move.  Moving with the right mouse button worked a bit better but I got stuck a lot and it's not intuitive for me during combat to left click to hit and right click to move.  Seems clearly intended to be played with a controller (though again in SP I was fine with mouse/keyboard).  With no split screen the game seems to drag or stop you from moving away from each other, which can also be nauseating.  Also the limited zoom seems to be disabled in MP.  Seems like either player can advance dialog, which is good or bad depending on perspective.

Earlier reports that loot for the non-host isn't saved were not correct.  Everything I did on my character (skill choices, etc) seemed to be saved on the host game's save.  Loot that is appropriate to your character goes to you all the time, I think.  Since gold is shared I guess it isn't an issue.  One oddity is that if you both die, when you respawn at the last save point you can choose to switch to a different character (not the host just the invitees).  

I know others kept saying how easy the game played, but we didn't think so.  We kept dying, especially me, particularly if we went to an area that was more difficult without having levelled up.  This was on normal mode.

There were definitely some fun combat moments and it definitely improved as I got the hang of it, plus improved loot (couple of blues and greens dropped) helped.  But overall the interface is just really wonky and there's way too much text dialog to wade through for a MP game.  My feeling is it probably plays much better as a SP game.
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 23, 2011, 12:30:37 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on June 22, 2011, 10:52:11 PM

Played an hour+ multiplayer with ibdoomed last night (PC/Steam version).  Definitely some mixed impressions.

I like the overall graphical look.  YMMV.  Also like the 4 different/distinct characters.  Voice acting is hit and miss, as is overall writing and humor.  MP seemed to startup very easily via Steam.  Voice chat was enabled automatically.

When I played single player on keyboard only, I was able to manage the nausea I felt during the demo.  But in MP it was very very difficult to play using the keyboard to move.  Moving with the right mouse button worked a bit better but I got stuck a lot and it's not intuitive for me during combat to left click to hit and right click to move.  Seems clearly intended to be played with a controller (though again in SP I was fine with mouse/keyboard).  With no split screen the game seems to drag or stop you from moving away from each other, which can also be nauseating.  Also the limited zoom seems to be disabled in MP.  Seems like either player can advance dialog, which is good or bad depending on perspective.

Earlier reports that loot for the non-host isn't saved were not correct.  Everything I did on my character (skill choices, etc) seemed to be saved on the host game's save.  Loot that is appropriate to your character goes to you all the time, I think.  Since gold is shared I guess it isn't an issue.  One oddity is that if you both die, when you respawn at the last save point you can choose to switch to a different character (not the host just the invitees).  

I know others kept saying how easy the game played, but we didn't think so.  We kept dying, especially me, particularly if we went to an area that was more difficult without having levelled up.  This was on normal mode.

There were definitely some fun combat moments and it definitely improved as I got the hang of it, plus improved loot (couple of blues and greens dropped) helped.  But overall the interface is just really wonky and there's way too much text dialog to wade through for a MP game.  My feeling is it probably plays much better as a SP game.

I played our save game a little last night and it brought you along as soon as I loaded it up (computer controlled obviously). I only play for 20 minutes but I think we did level and it let me choose your skills hehehe after mine and you got some loot.  I finally got a new gun drop (something like +33 to attack and doom) and that made it so much easier than my newbie gun.

Then I went somewhere else and got my arse handed to me so I quit. Let me know if you want to hop in sometime. Definitely get that $20 adapter though so you can use your 360 controller.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 24, 2011, 03:14:17 AM »

A couple quick questions:

1.  Is there a way to expand the map at all, i.e. bring it up full screen?  Or is the mini-map in the corner the only option?
2.  Is there any indication of which items can and cannot be equipped by your character?  I blew half my gold on a "clasp" thinking it was the same as an amulet, then couldn't equip it.   icon_evil

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 24, 2011, 02:52:07 PM »

I don't understand why the game even drops/sells items for other classes in a single player game.  It's not like you can trade it or twink a new toon with it.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 24, 2011, 03:24:16 PM »

Quote from: skystride on June 24, 2011, 02:52:07 PM

I don't understand why the game even drops/sells items for other classes in a single player game.  It's not like you can trade it or twink a new toon with it.

You get one of the other characters as a companion fairly early on.  I'm assuming ultimately you'll get to chose any of the other three characters to accompany you.  You get to equip and level up your companion.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: