http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 01:34:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dual Shock 2 shoulder buttons.  (Read 814 times)
Kyosho
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: August 20, 2006, 11:56:12 PM »

I'm actually completely new to the PS2 system in general as I'm a PC gamer. I'm in the process of building a portable PS2, and I need to relocate the shoulder buttons of the Dual Shock 2 controller. So I've got some questions. I'm talking about only the shoulder buttons in this case.

1. Are the shoulder buttons analog (pressure sensitive), like the face buttons?

2. If so, do many games make use of the analog functionality of the shoulder buttons?

3. Could you name a few popular games that make use of it?

The reason I ask, is because it'd be much easier to relocate them without retaining their analog ability. But if it's important, I will do the extra work involved to keep them analog.

I was going to post this on OO, but I realize that things are a bit more Console related here, so...
stiffler
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 12:27:23 AM »

I found this on the CompUSA product page for the DS2 controller, and it says "Based on manufacturer's information:"

"With the exception of the "start" and "select" buttons, all the functions of the "Dual Shock"2 are analog, making for a wider variety of user operations and a more compelling interactive experience. The "Dual Shock"2 is also backward compatible with all PlayStation software supporting the original "Dual Shock" analog controller."

Wikipedia says, "When the PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system was announced, the controller included with it was the same as the Dual Shock analog controller, except it was black, added two additional vibration levels, was considerably lighter and all of the buttons (except for the SELECT, START, ANALOG mode, L3 and R3 buttons) were pressure sensitive."

Hope that helps.  Good luck and welcome to the site!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 01:05:11 AM »

I don't know of any definite ones, but I would think that it would primarily be racing games that use the analog functionality of the buttons.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 10:03:23 AM »

OK, where is the quotes button amongst all these smilies and such?!?

I'm in the process of building a portable PS2

Ahem. Please explain. What do you mean by portable? Please if possible, post pictures of your work. Sounds intriguing.

Question: Is the slimline not portable enough?  How would wanting to have a portable PS2 require you to move the buttons on the controller? Are you putting them on the console?!?  eek retard
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 01:11:54 PM »

I know all the Metal Gear Solid games use the pressure sensetivity of the shoulder buttons.

PSN ID: EduardoX
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 01:25:15 PM »

I can't think of any PS2 game that wouldn't work just fine without the analog sensitivity.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 01:37:41 PM »

Quote from: ATB on August 21, 2006, 10:03:23 AM

I'm in the process of building a portable PS2

Ahem. Please explain. What do you mean by portable? Please if possible, post pictures of your work. Sounds intriguing.

I know that there's one semi-well known guy out there who's built quite a few 'portable' gaming consoles from the NES on up (and sideways). Basically removes/modifies the console guts and tacks on the PS1 TV screen that used to be sold back in the days for car travel gaming. Looks really cool, is completely functional, and tends to last quite a while on batteries.

Don't have a link handy though.

As far as analog buttons go, I believe he removed the functionality of them on his portable designs too. If you truly need analog buttons (for racing games), just change the throttle to the right analog stick (which I've always done).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
warning

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 02:56:58 PM »

Here ya go: http://www.benheck.com/
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2006, 05:46:55 PM »

Quote from: warning on August 21, 2006, 02:56:58 PM

I love how somebody always keeps bookmarks of sites whose names I can't think of at time of posting.  icon_biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kyosho
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006, 11:37:02 PM »

Yeah, Ben Heckendorn is one of the first, and one of the best (if not the best). He's pioneered the way for everyone else. I frequent his forums. They're intended specifically for people building their own systems to help each other out. It's actually not too hard to build one if you've got some soldering experience. Most of the people who build these things are teenagers (even some preteens). If you're interested, be sure to check out the main reference site created by people from the forums.

I've personally built an NESp and a PSOneP. My PS2p will be more along the lines of segasonicfan's, rather than Ben's.

As far as the analog shoulder buttons.. From the information you guys have provided in this thread (and also the one I cross-posted on GameFAQs), it seems there aren't many games that make use of it. In the shoulder buttons specifically I mean. And the ones that do...it's not going to make a big difference. But, still, I've decided to go the extra mile and make them analog by using a third-party controller that is more easily modable.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: