http://gamingtrend.com
November 20, 2014, 11:24:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DS questions  (Read 855 times)
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 27, 2005, 06:08:45 PM »

Have a friend looking to pick up a Nintendo DS.  A few quick questions if I might.  

1. What screen protectors do you all recommend for the system?
2. Where do you store the stylus while it is not in use, if on the system as I suspect, can anyone provide me with a photo?
3. How durable is the system for a kid who will potentially drop the system?

Any advice/info is greatly appreciated.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 06:45:27 PM »

Arkon,[list=1]
  • No answer here.  I don't use one, but I would question any screen protector that "glues' to the screen.  I've been using mine alot and have zero scratches on it.
  • The stylus slides right in a hole on the top of the DS.  I don't have a photo of it but it is similar to the storage on any PDA.
  • The weakest part of the DS is the joints where the lid couples to the base.  They are basically plastic.  My son's joint broke because he accidently dropped it while opened and it hit the floor at just the right angle.  The unit still works fine, but the top is holding on by only one joint.  I don't know how to fix it.  Other than that the DS seems pretty sturdy to me.

Hope this helps.[/list:o] biggrin

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 07:14:41 PM »

Much obliged sir!
depward

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 08:24:27 PM »

I might as well answer as well:

1)  I tried using a screen protector, but really, it diminished the quality of the lower screen for me.  So, while I do have a little bit of wear on my bottom screen due to those DANG FRISBEE COMPETITIONS from Nintendogs, it's not noticable while playing a game.  That's generally the thing too - it will accumulate a little wear.  But it's not bothersome nor that noticable when playing the game.  Sure, when it's powered off you can notice it, but why the heck is your DS not powered on then to begin with?!   biggrin

2)  Just like what Starshifter said.  There's a little storage slot on the back of the DS.  When your stylus is in there (and it does have a little like, "lock" to it when you slide it in, so it doesn't just fall right out), you can't tell it's in there.  It's that unnoticable.

3)  It's pretty durable.  Yes, I would agree that the join areas are probably the most susceptible to damage, but I've dropped my DS several times with no damage there.  Though, on the lid that covers the bottom screen when closed (which I love - when I had my PSP I hated how the screen was so "out there" if it wasn't in use.  Plus I don't need a carrying case and I'm not constantly wiping my screen either, so another plus for the DS), I have a nice little cut/gash there.  I call it my Nintendo DS's battle wound.  It adds character   biggrin

Hope that helps.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2005, 09:55:16 PM »

Regarding a screen protector, I did put one on the lower screen which is the touch screen.  I'm going to get rid of it tonight as it does degrade the clarity quite a bit, especially in bright light, ie a sun lit room.  In such a situation I can barely see the screen.  I'm going to risk scratches, but I take care of my stuff so I'm not worried.  I was just paranoid seeing the DS displays in stores scratched to hell.

weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2005, 03:30:48 PM »

My screen does not have any scratches even from playing Kirby constantly for a few weeks.  I'm sure the demo's at the store get scratches more from people trying to scratch them..and some stores I saw them using a metal stylus..

I would say..depending on the age of the child..if their only problem is dropping it, I would say you shouldn't have any problems.  You could  always enforce them to use the wrist band so just incase they did drop it while playing it would be caught.  

It is also nice for it having access to GBA games cause you can always pick up some cheap but good GBA games for kids.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2005, 04:02:45 PM »

The Brando Ultra Clear screen protector is really worth a try.  You have to be completely anal and make sure not one spec of dust gets between it and the screen, but once it's on it's invisible.  It doesn't have the awful distortions that you get with other kinds.

Their website seems to be having some issues at the moment, but the DS is under the PDA column in the above link.

Even if you don't go with Brando, in general it seems like the protectors that are a hardish plastic instead of a thin film are much, much clearer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: