http://gamingtrend.com
August 29, 2014, 05:38:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DS questions  (Read 846 times)
Interloper
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 16, 2005, 10:55:38 PM »

I'm debating trading in my GBA SP for a DS, and notice that it is backwards compatible iwith GBA games.  Just curious how they look on the ds.  Is the quality any different?  Also,  how bright is the display compared to the GBA using its own light?  Thanks!

warning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 11:01:11 PM »

GBA games look great on the DS.  The screen is the same size and you have the option to play GBA games on either the top or bottom screen.  But the biggest difference is the crispness and brightness.  The GBA SP is frontlit and always looked a bit blurry to me.  The DS has a true backlight and everything is bright and very easy to see.

I'd seriously have bought a DS just for the improved visual quality of my GBA games.  The DS games are a pretty awesome bonus!
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2005, 11:07:33 PM »

Awesome, thanks.  Also, how is the battery life?  With two screens and dual speakers, Id guess its quite a drain.  I seem to get about 10 hours using backlight on the GBA, and about 18 if I don't use the backlight.  How does this compare to the DS?

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2005, 11:36:01 PM »

I'd guess the DS has a battery life of somewhere near 6-7 hours.  I just charge it every night as a habit.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005, 12:54:23 AM »

GBA games look *awesome* on the DS - easily the best screen yet for those games (better than the SP,mini, Gamecube player IMHO).

Battery life is supposed to be around 10 hours, which sounds about right.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
depward

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2005, 01:46:55 AM »

I've really never had to pay attention to my DS battery life.  Well, I did a little bit when I first purchased Nintendogs . . . but still, my DS has never "accidently" ran out of battery life.

GBA games do look fantastic on there.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2005, 01:55:06 AM »

Quote from: "Interloper"
I'm debating trading in my GBA SP for a DS, and notice that it is backwards compatible iwith GBA games.

Keep in mind the DS is compatible with GBA games, but not old non-Advance GB games.

Also, the screen and resolution is bigger on the DS, so GBA games have a black border around them.  Doesn't make them look bad, they look great on the DS, but just so you know.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2005, 01:57:06 AM »

Quote from: "Dimmona"
GBA games look *awesome* on the DS - easily the best screen yet for those games (better than the SP,mini, Gamecube player IMHO).

I haven't seen one, but some are saying the new SP with the backlit screen is brightest of all.  You can tell them apart due to the new box touting its new "brighter screen."  I think it uses the same tech from the mini, only bigger.

Regardless, the DS has a very nice screen.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2005, 02:12:08 AM »

A couple comments on battery life. I definitely notice the DS needs charging more than my GBASP did. But, that's when playing DS games. Playing GBA games doesn't seem to be a big drag on battery life. (Reasonable since only one screen is lit when playing GBA games.)

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2005, 10:13:33 PM »

I know mine doesn't the same battery life.  Playing Castlevania on the DS has made me plug in my second charger next to my bed so I can play and charge at the same time.  Gotta get my fix!  My SP, on the other hand, seemed to last forever between charges.  Not that big a deal since it still carries a decent charge, just not nearly as long as the DS.  Only played one DS game and no GBA titles so I don't know if that is different (though I would suspect it is).

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: