http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 12:26:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DS or PSP?  (Read 9307 times)
Lee
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 23, 2005, 08:59:26 PM »

Quote from: "tru1cy"
Playing fetch with some dog or looking for a fish pole doesnot make a good game.  I see its the stylus that makes the DS a better systems.

We get your point already, just because you don't like those kind of games, doesn't mean they are bad. AC on the GC was a nice relaxing game. You don't like it, great, we know.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 23, 2005, 09:13:53 PM »

I'm sorry Devil, and I don't mean to be rude, but you're wrong.

No problem - I take none of this very seriously but how can you say I'm wrong? This isn't black or white, which is what I'm trying to prove.

Mario Kart DS is different than on the GC not because it has a second screen (I don't even really count that at all), it's different because it's a new game in a franchise. It has four new cups of races, new karts, remix of controls and powerups, and some new play modes (challenge mode in particular).

That's a pretty liberal interperetation of 'different'.
The same can be said for Madden every year- You get things like the passing cone, EA trax, PSP exclusive mini-games, and at it most basic and important - new players come into the league, old players leave, players change teams as does their ratings. That makes it entirely new to the point that if I'm playing with the Eagles next year I won't be able to throw to TO so I'll COMPLETELY change the way I play! Mario has been in every version of Mario Kart and has had a turtle shell in his arsenal for 10 years.

Are you going to sit there and call GTA: San Andreas the same thing as GTA3? Is Halo 2 the same game as Halo? Is Dragon Quest 7 the same game as Dragon Quest 8?

YES!!! It's essentially the same game!! A couple of different features and some prettier graphics but YES!!!

You want to qualify the Nintendo games for the very few 'new' features but ignore the ones on the PSP. That's fine as long as you realize you're doing it!

I'm frankly rather frustrated that you can't seem to understand this simple piece of logic. Do we need to go look up in wikipedia and print out the definition of "port" versus the definition of "sequel"? Seriously, by the logic you're espousing towards the franchise sequels on the DS, practically every game in the entire library of successful games is just a port, because most of the successful games anymore are sequels to games in a franchise.

If you want to get the definitions, go right ahead. Putting the letters DS after a title doesn't make it a new game.

THEY ARE PORTS!!!!

I know you guys love your DSs but, again, this is splitting hairs to try and make a game out to be something more than it is.

Give me Phoenix Wright, Trauma Center and Feel The Magic - Not 3 new tracks in Mario Kart and a map screen in Advance Wars and Castlevania. There's nothing NEW there. Are they great games? Sure, but they're not new games.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 23, 2005, 09:53:46 PM »

First, to address Tru1cy, I'd like you to look back through all my posts in this thread and tell me where I said the DS was arbitrarily better than the PSP.  Go on, take a look, I'll wait.

Oh, darn, you couldn't find a spot, could you?   :wink:  That's because I'm saying that I prefer the new games coming out on the DS, whereas the games on the PSP are primarily ports of games I can already play on my PS2.  Note that in one post I said the same thing about the X-Box, and how a few years later once there were enough exclusives to make that system worthwhile, I got one.

I'm not picking on the PSP, I'm taking umbrage with the argument that Devil continues to espouse (and I know I'm sounding harsh on you here, Devil-man, but despite that I hope I'm not really offending you, as that's not my intent.  It's a debate! smile ) that the DS's new games are just ports.

Again, read through my analogy.

For example, please, tell me how X-Men Legends 2 is anything but a port.  PLEASE.  I'd be happy to be proven wrong.  You go through the same story, with the same characters, on the same stages, with the same pretty much everything.

On the other hand, you can't tell me that X-Men Legends 2 is a port of X-Men Legends.  The sequel has new characters, new story, new locations, and new stages.  Sure, the general gameplay is very similar (roughly the same controls and game concepts), but the game itself is not the same game that X-Men Legends was.  It's a sequel with different game material.

At what point did I say that Madden '05 and Madden '06 are the same game?  I didn't; you guys are putting words in my mouth here.  I implied that Madden '06 on the PS2 and Madden '06 on the PSP are pretty much the same game, just ported to different systems.  Yes, each iteration of Madden adds something new (in theory, but I'll take my complaints against EA ripping us off with too few new features into another debate sometime), which makes it a new game.  It's based on the previous ones, and contains very similar gameplay, but adds new features.

Mario Kart doesn't just have "three new tracks and a map screen", it has sixteen new tracks (much the same of each previous game in the series), three new "battle" modes, a challenge mode, a slew of kart/character combos not seen in the previous games, as well as sixteen returning tracks remixed into the "retro" cup.

Advance Wars DS has many returning characters and units, but features easily over a hundred new maps, an entirely new campaign and story, a few additional new play modes, and an entirely new system of "upgrading" your CO's.  They didn't just "add a new map screen".

That's not a port, that's a SEQUEL.  SEQUEL

Quote from: "wikipedia"
Porting is also the term used when a computer game designed to run on one platform, be it a personal computer or video game console, is converted to run on another platform.

Quote from: "wikipedia"
A sequel is a work of fiction in literature, film, and other creative works that is produced after a completed work, and is set in the same "universe" but at a later time. It usually continues elements of the first story, often with the same characters, although this is not always the case - for example, if the main character dies at the end of the first work, a new character (e.g. their son or daughter) may take up their role in the sequel.

X-Men Legends 2 is the same game, just on the PSP instead of the PS2.  Which definition does that fit?

Mario Kart DS is a similar game, featuring the core elements of the previous games (including characters), but with many new features and a new batch of tracks.  Which definition does that fit?

If you honestly believe that a sequel and a port are the same thing, then... well, ok.  Still say you're wrong, but ok.  I guess there's no point to any further debate if you simply can't see the difference.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
unbreakable
« Reply #83 on: December 23, 2005, 10:15:30 PM »

It's semantics, but a port is when a game is copied from one system to another (and is essentially the exact some game, or at least an attempted facsimile. Like Pacman on the Atari 2600  :?  ). This is often confused with emulation, which is actually using the original program, and having a 'wrapper' (the emulator) trick the program into believing it is running on the original system it was created for.

A sequel can be based on the original game (which is, kind, what makes it a sequel), but will feature new content (story, characters, and generally improvements).

An expansion is more of taking the original and just throwing in more content.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 23, 2005, 10:28:34 PM »

PSP = Playstation Portable

I rest my case.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 23, 2005, 10:29:36 PM »

Quote from: "Lee"
Playing fetch with some dog or looking for a fish pole doesnot make a good game.  I see its the stylus that makes the DS a better systems.

We get your point already, just because you don't like those kind of games, doesn't mean they are bad. AC on the GC was a nice relaxing game. You don't like it, great, we know.

Yet, it is still held up as example of why the DS  > PSP.  So it can be used in the arguement, but I can use it as a rebuttal?

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 23, 2005, 10:59:13 PM »

First off - None of this is offensive to me, it's a simple debate and I feel the same as you about that!  smile

For example, please, tell me how X-Men Legends 2 is anything but a port. PLEASE. I'd be happy to be proven wrong. You go through the same story, with the same characters, on the same stages, with the same pretty much everything.

X-Men Legends 2 on PSP, exclusives include 9 new missions and 4 more playable characters than it's console counterpart.

Never looked before but it may be MORE diverse to PSP than Mario Kart is to DS!

I agree with 'break  :shock: , this is semantics.

It, once again, comes back to (at this point):
Do you want Nintendo or do you want Sports?

To invalidate one or the other as less important and you're selling yourself short.

I can see both sides as equal.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 23, 2005, 11:05:22 PM »

I don't care a pair of underwear which system has more ports or sequels.  What I do care about is loading times.  I can get into and out of a DS game much faster than a typcial PSP game.

But I did just buy Hot Shots Golf (a sequel by the way) and wow that game loads fast!  It's not the prettiest game but it doesn't have to be.  It seems like a perfect portable game.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 24, 2005, 12:27:25 AM »

What I do care about is loading times. I can get into and out of a DS game much faster than a typcial PSP game.

GTA just loaded in a couple seconds for me, not to bad.  Maybe I don't have as many games as you guys, but I tend to keep a game in the PSP a few days and enjoy it, not hop in and out every couple of minutes.  

Maybe DS appeals to those with short attention spans then?

The DS has little appeal for me.  If I want Nintendo games, I'll play my GBA SP, which is cheaper and a lot more portable.  Battery probably lasts longer too.  If I were buying new, I'd get the GBA SP and apply the savings to a game or two, as I mostly still play on the consoles.  

I don't care if a game is a port of sequel, just have to size up the library on each console.  Sure I could get X-Men 2 for the XBox, but why not get it on the go, and play Half Life 2 during my XBox time.  I certainly don't have enough time for every game ever, so it doesn't matter as much if its a port, or a Nintendo port masquerading as a sequel.    Having new games portable means I can enjoy more new games, some on the road, and others when I'm home.  That's better for me then feeling like I'm playing games that are 5+ years old, with graphics and sound from back then.

Since the DS and PSP are the same size to me (non pocketable), I'd rather take the one that lets me watch a movie I rented from Netflix, show pictures from my camera to friends (on a big screen), listen to music, and also plays games.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 24, 2005, 09:42:09 AM »

I typed that last message on the can with my PSP!!
Ouch.. kind of wondering about what adventures the previous owner of my used PSP may have taken it before I got my hands on it.

I gotta agree with that statement though, I was checking my hotmail email, netbank checking account, and this site earlier today at starbucks.
I gave in and bought a used PSP at gamestop for 200 bucks (got SOCOM new and sin city umd to go with it) and am loving every minute of it. 44,000 users on SOCOM online last time I went on. Kind of sucks not having a second analog stick but you'll eventually get used to it. (I'm still working on it)
Being a graphics pimp, and having had both systems in the past (just gave my DS up less than a month ago) I have to say, I'm so much happer with the PSP than I was the DS. There's just soo much more you can do, especially the web browser.
I tend to agree with the earlier statement about PSP users being more interested in the system and it's powers and what it can do compared to the games, but at the same time, I still enjoy the games but the main reason for my purchase was the web browser (since I travel so much) and listening to mp3s/watching movies. My job is boring as hell and now I can bring this with me to listen to music and watch movies all night.

Also apparently there's a new model of the DS coming out mid next year that's supposed to be a phone/DS or something. There's a link for it on bluesnews (too tired to look it up) so if I ever get a DS again I think I'll wait for that, especially considering how Nokia pretty much gave up on the n-gage and leaving our phone useless. Can't say I never really saw it coming but it's disappointing just the same.

In the end though I still would recommend the PSP over the DS, joining devil, scott and others especially when you know you can get your GTA fix on the go with the PSP, while on the DS, you can as someone put it, throw a frisby to a dog or throw a fishing line into a pool. Me personally, I'd rather be on a motorcycle gunning down civilians who walk in my way while being chased by the cops all in "real 3d", something the DS (as with the n-gage) claim to do, but in reality, can't.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 24, 2005, 10:46:22 AM »

Quote from: "Lee"
I recently sold off my PSP, neat system, but I just never played it, the games weren't grabbing me.

This thread helped me decide to give the DS a try. Just went out and got the Mario Cart red DS. Got Animal Crossing, the dog game (it just got too good of reviews, so I will give it a try) and Metroid Pinball. Looks good so far.

I should probably get screen protectors huh?

Thanks for all the info in this thread.

I got a screen protector when i first got mine, and while I kept them on, I don`t think that a "normal adult using the the DS normally" would have issues. But, it`s obviously your call and you really can`t go wrong with one(In my experience). My wife is getting a DS for christmas and I don`t think she will get a screen protector.

Also, since I sold my PSP, I really don`t miss it. Lumines was the only thing I kept playing, and really Metoes replaced that quite nicely.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 24, 2005, 10:52:34 AM »

I read most of the posts if not all of `em. I didn`t see alot if any talk of the real difference of the systems. Innovation. The DS has innovated games. Can I play Warioware touched, Metoes, Nintendogs, and games like that on ANY other system? Not even possible. Or even close. At all.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 24, 2005, 06:02:23 PM »

Innovation. The DS has innovated games. Can I play Warioware touched, Metoes, Nintendogs, and games like that on ANY other system? Not even possible. Or even close. At all.

Palm really innovated the sytlus control with the Palm Pilot, at least its the first system to really take off.  There have been stylus games for the past decade.  To say that Nintendo innovated it is laughable at best.

Warioware was just as effective on the GBA, Nintendogs/sim pets/sim things has been around forever, and puzzle games like Meteos have been available for years on the various pdas.  

Argue that the games are good, or other stuff, but innovation, come on.

---
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 24, 2005, 09:14:19 PM »

Quote from: "Devil"
For example, please, tell me how X-Men Legends 2 is anything but a port. PLEASE. I'd be happy to be proven wrong. You go through the same story, with the same characters, on the same stages, with the same pretty much everything.

X-Men Legends 2 on PSP, exclusives include 9 new missions and 4 more playable characters than it's console counterpart.

Never looked before but it may be MORE diverse to PSP than Mario Kart is to DS!

I agree with 'break  :shock: , this is semantics.

Far from it.  This is not semantics, there's a big difference between a port and a sequel.

Since the logical explanations are failing to get my point across, let's use an analogy, again comparing my example games, X-Men Legends 2 and Mario Kart.

Let's think of these games as the way a movie is regarded.  We've got The Fellowship of the Ring (abbreviated as FOTR from here on out).  It's a great movie, lots of stuff going on.  Let's say that X-Men Legends 2 on the PS2 is FOTR.  And let's say that Mario Kart Double Dash (the Cube game) is also FOTR.

Now, With X-Men Legends 2 on the PSP, you still have the same game (literally, not metaphorically), but they've thrown in 9 new stages and a few new characters.  However, for the most part, you're playing through the same game as before, just with "deleted material" added in.  This would equate to the FOTR Extended DVD.  Still great for fans of the film who want to see extra stuff thrown in, but you're still watching the same movie to see the new stuff added into it.

With Mario Kart DS, you have the same general play and type of material, but you're getting a new game.  Rather than retyping that paragraph list I wrote earlier of the material in the DS game, go back and reread what I wrote.  This is analogous to The Two Towers.  You've still got Aragorn, Frodo, Legolas, and the others, they're still trying to get that ring to Mount Doom, they're still killing Uruk-Hai and orcs, and they're still in the same fantasty world.  However, this is a sequel, and while it's all so very similar, you're not literally watching the same movie as you were in FOTR.  And in Mario Kart DS, you're not literally playing the same game as Mario Kart Double Dash, but you are playing the same franchise, just like Two Towers is the same franchise as FOTR.

It, once again, comes back to (at this point):
Do you want Nintendo or do you want Sports?

To invalidate one or the other as less important and you're selling yourself short.

I can see both sides as equal.

And once again, not that anyone bothered to read the first few paragraphs of my last post, I'm not saying the DS is better than the PSP or vice versa.  I'm just saying that, up until now, we've mostly been getting new games on the DS (though, yes, many of them have been sequels in established franchises) whereas most of the PSP games have been ports (yes, the same game as the one on a different platform, but with a few "extras" thrown in).

Does this make the DS arbitrarily better? No. I'm just sick of people trying to claim that the DS is only getting ports, which is factually not true.  The PSP has mostly been getting ports, which is factually true.  None of this makes any difference on the qualities and strengths of either piece of hardware.  But for those of us with a PS2 and a Cube who aren't needing to take the same games they own for said systems and play them on the go, right now the DS is a more useful purchase to play new games, especially sequels to series we enjoy.

The PSP will hit its stride in the very near future, with true sequels and new games coming out for it, like the new GTA game that just came out for it.  It is a solid handheld device which will eventually have a great game library of games that can't be played on other systems (sequels and such notwithstanding).

For those of you who understand where I'm coming from, is there a way to convey these facts in any more of an empirical and elementary fashion?  I'm out of ways to present logic that I haven't already done.

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 24, 2005, 10:13:33 PM »

With Mario Kart DS, you have the same general play and type of material, but you're getting a new game.

Mario Kart is racing/sports like game.  So they've changed some tracks, added a few new ones, tweaked the roster, etc.  Madden does that every year too, but in the end, its pretty much the same game.

Mario Kart is just as much a sequel as GT3 was to Gran Turismo 2, or Madden 2006 to 2005, etc.

Sequel, port, or whatever Mario Kart DS is, it basically is the same game that was released years ago, and if you played the last iteration, you've played pretty darn similar to this DS version too.  

I still will take the more modern games like X-Men 2 and GTA.  I can run emulators on my PC if I want to run five year old games.  X-Men 2 on my PSP while I'm out or want a quick game of something (PSP's quick start), and my XBox or 360 for other games (PGR3, CoD2, etc.) when I have the time.

Another game that's a blast on the PSP is SSX, which is not a direct port of the latest SSX game, but a fun relaxing snowboarding game, that looks great, and nothing like it on the DS.

---
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 24, 2005, 11:10:07 PM »

Quote from: "Scott"
With Mario Kart DS, you have the same general play and type of material, but you're getting a new game.

Mario Kart is racing/sports like game.  So they've changed some tracks, added a few new ones, tweaked the roster, etc.  Madden does that every year too, but in the end, its pretty much the same game.

And it's a sequel as well, though I'd say a game like Mario Kart or Burnout, or a golfing game, has more added to it in each sequel than in sports games like football, hockey, baseball, etc. The racing games add not only gameplay improvements, but creative improvements like the tracks, or new courses in a golf game.

I agree that it is worth noting the difference between a port with exclusive content and an actual sequel. It's also worth noting that an individual may not give a shit about the new sequels, but instead wants a system for the portable ports. That's completely justifiable.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 24, 2005, 11:12:40 PM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
... all in "real 3d", something the DS (as with the n-gage) claim to do, but in reality, can't.

So then what the hell is going on with Nintendogs or Animal Crossing or Mario Kart? What makes that "fake" 3d? Are those not polygons on three dimentional characters and surfaces?

Edit: And don't misread me, that's not sarcasm. Aren't those 3d games?

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 24, 2005, 11:24:49 PM »

And it's a sequel as well, though I'd say a game like Mario Kart or Burnout, or a golfing game, has more added to it in each sequel than in sports games like football, hockey, baseball, etc. The racing games add not only gameplay improvements, but creative improvements like the tracks, or new courses in a golf game.

I disagree.  Madden's owners mode was a pretty big improvement, and I'm sure there are other differences as well.

I was just pointing out that the analogy to movies is wrong.  The Two Towers is a completely different story vs Return of the King, with different battles, completely different set pieces, etc.

Mario Kart is a fairly subtle sequel, like most racing games, no really dramatic differences.

---
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 25, 2005, 01:56:54 AM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
I agree that it is worth noting the difference between a port with exclusive content and an actual sequel. It's also worth noting that an individual may not give a shit about the new sequels, but instead wants a system for the portable ports. That's completely justifiable.

That's really all I've been trying to say.  The problem is that, when I explained that my current lack of interest in the PSP is due to most of the games so far having been ports rather than sequels or new games, some individuals attempted to claim that many of the new franchise games on the DS were just ports as well.  Which is false.

If all you want is portable ports of PS2 games, then heck yeah, the PSP is great right now.  Me, I'll wait until there are games that I want to play that I literally cannot play without the PSP.  I do the same for every system.  I'll be frank, I was rather surprised at how early I was sold on the DS, since I didn't expect a good number of compelling games for at least a year.

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 25, 2005, 02:03:19 AM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
Quote from: "corruptrelic"
... all in "real 3d", something the DS (as with the n-gage) claim to do, but in reality, can't.

So then what the hell is going on with Nintendogs or Animal Crossing or Mario Kart? What makes that "fake" 3d? Are those not polygons on three dimentional characters and surfaces?

Edit: And don't misread me, that's not sarcasm. Aren't those 3d games?

Those are "fake" 3d games because they aren't as nice as the PSP's 3d graphics.  Despite the fact that the graphics capabilities of the DS are slightly above that of the N64 and the PS1.  Sure, it's slightly old-tech, but it's still good enough to make for great gameplay if you don't mind having less detail than PS2 caliber 3d graphics.

Some games suffer more from lower-grade graphics, most notably sports games and shooters.  RPG's, adventure games, and platformers suffer less.  That's a large part of why Devil's notes about what system is better make sense:  Do you want Nintendo or do you want sports and violence?

It's a fairly blunt comparison, but pretty accurate, and much more mature than the remarks of those who are obsessed with bashing the DS by claiming all it's good for is playing with virtual dogs or fishing.

(And please, can the detractors try coming up with something a little more mature and informed than that?  It was already old the first time it was stated.)

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 25, 2005, 03:49:05 AM »

Farscry - What if the 3rd movie in FOTR was just a bunch of clips from the first 2 movies edited together in a different order?
There's your Mario Kart DS!

I hope you all get a nice DS and a 10 year old game to play on it for Kwanzhanimas!!  :wink:

biggrin

I hope this thread goes on forever!

...and to all, a good night!

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 25, 2005, 06:03:03 AM »

Farscry - What if the 3rd movie in FOTR was just a bunch of clips from the first 2 movies edited together in a different order?

Don't tell me you actually believe that's a viable analogy?

Alright, here, please tell me in what previous MK games all the new material in MK:DS was available.  I won't bother waiting though, since the new material wasn't actually IN any of the previous games.

jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: December 28, 2005, 02:43:20 PM »

Quote from: "Farscry_Redux"
I'm sorry Devil, and I don't mean to be rude, but you're wrong.

Madden '06 on the PSP is just a port.  It's the same game as Madden '06 on any other system.  It is not the same game as Madden '05, though it's really similar (sports games are not quite in the same park as other game types when it comes to sequels).

Mario Kart DS is different than on the GC not because it has a second screen (I don't even really count that at all), it's different because it's a new game in a franchise.  It has four new cups of races, new karts, remix of controls and powerups, and some new play modes (challenge mode in particular).

Are you going to sit there and call GTA: San Andreas the same thing as GTA3?  Is Halo 2 the same game as Halo?  Is Dragon Quest 7 the same game as Dragon Quest 8?

No, these are all new games in a series.

In the same way, Advance Wars DS is different from the previous games, Mario Kart is different from the previous games, Castlevania DS is different from the previous games, and so on.

Mario 64 DS is a PORT of Mario 64.  It's the same game.  X-Men Legends 2 on the PSP is a PORT of X-Men Legends 2.  They're the same game, just on a different system.

If they took Project Gotham Racing 2 and put it on the 360, would you argue that it's a new game?  Of course not!  That's a port!  Project Gotham Racing 3 is a new game: different selection of cars, tracks, etc.

I'm frankly rather frustrated that you can't seem to understand this simple piece of logic.  Do we need to go look up in wikipedia and print out the definition of "port" versus the definition of "sequel"?  Seriously, by the logic you're espousing towards the franchise sequels on the DS, practically every game in the entire library of successful games is just a port, because most of the successful games anymore are sequels to games in a franchise.

Perfectly said.

I'm no Nintendo lover, didn't care much for the GC, and not really into kiddie games as some call them, but I absolutely love my DS that I got last week.

I haven't stopped playing Mario Kart DS, its one of the most addicting and satisfying games I have played in years, thats right, YEARS. Its simplicity in design and gameplay is so refreshing that its kind of reinvigorated my gaming spirit.

I had both the PSP and DS in my hands in Gamestop last week, keeping in mind I went in to buy the PSP, but when I got there and looked at the games and the cost of the accessories/memory cards, I just lost interest.

To my surprise, there just seemed to be more fun games on the DS to play and I have to admit, the Nintendogs game is pretty neat. The PSP just has games that for the most part, I would rather play on my XBOX, while the DS has games much better suited to portable gaming. Call me crazy, but I will end up playing the Monopoly/Battleship/Boggle/Yahtzee 4 pack that I got for Christmas, more than anything I saw on the PSP.

Both systems are good, they are just different, and while the movie playing is cool, they are pricey and not nearly as enjoyable as watching the same movie on my HDTV and home theater system.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: December 28, 2005, 02:47:41 PM »

Wow, simply WOW.   So basically cause the games are ports that DS is a better system?

I don't know but being able to play Xmen Legends  and Madden 06 while I'm on Mass Transit makes the PSP a better system imo.  

I think Devil is dead on, but you are right and we are wrong.  I guess we should bow down to the DS  :roll:

Bow down? No, but you shouldn't discount the system as "kiddie" simply because of its lack of games that appeal to you.

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: December 28, 2005, 02:55:13 PM »

In the end though I still would recommend the PSP over the DS, joining devil, scott and others especially when you know you can get your GTA fix on the go with the PSP, while on the DS, you can as someone put it, throw a frisby to a dog or throw a fishing line into a pool. Me personally, I'd rather be on a motorcycle gunning down civilians who walk in my way while being chased by the cops all in "real 3d", something the DS (as with the n-gage) claim to do, but in reality, can't.

Wow, could you misrepresent the DS any more than you did there?

You guys act like the only games available for the DS are Animal Crossing and Nintendogs. Of course doing that, as an act of belittlement and in an effort to demean the system, only shows you dont REALLY wanna give it a fair shake in this debate or dont know much about the system.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 28, 2005, 03:18:59 PM »

I took the weekend off but I'm glad this thread is back!  biggrin

Devil wrote:

Alright, here, please tell me in what previous MK games all the new material in MK:DS was available. I won't bother waiting though, since the new material wasn't actually IN any of the previous games.

OK - All old clips from the previous movies and 5 minutes of new footage!
That better?  :wink:

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 28, 2005, 03:21:00 PM »

I took the weekend off but I'm glad this thread is back!  biggrin

Devil wrote:

Alright, here, please tell me in what previous MK games all the new material in MK:DS was available. I won't bother waiting though, since the new material wasn't actually IN any of the previous games.

OK - All old clips from the previous movies and 5 minutes of new footage!
That better?  :wink:

No, you goon, that's X-Men Legends 2 on the PSP.   biggrin  FOR ME TO POOP ON!

[edit] And you dodged my challenge there, you sly devil, you![/edit]

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 28, 2005, 03:25:56 PM »

No, you goon, that's X-Men Legends 2 on the PSP.

That's the goon's point! (I'm typing in 3rd person!)

They are the same!!!!  biggrin

What challenge did I miss?

Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: December 28, 2005, 03:35:15 PM »

I'm going to side on the DS half of the debate.   Aside from the Metal Gear Ac!d games and lumines, there is very little that has caught my eye on the PSP.  Coupled with the possibility of the battery life being much shorter because of driving the UMDs, I just couldn't bring myself to get one.

The DS isn't all roses, (I'm not fond of the case/form factor) but the ability to play games with friends without having to own the cartridge is very nice.  I now know that I want Meteos, and friends who couldn't afford it were able to get in on Mario Kart races.  Also not having to trash my GBA library of sixteen games is nice...though I miss the ability to play GB carts.

Tony Hawk, Animal Crossing, Shrek Superslam, Mario Kart, all use 3d graphics in some form or another.  If anything, the debate should be structured along the lines of "My video card is better" type arguments.

Feature-wise, the PSP looks nice.  Browse the net, watch movies, play various games.  Add on top of that the hacking community, and you have a very versitle device.  But I have enough things to charge every other day or daily.  I usually only have to recharge my DS about every three days, and I get about four hours of play a day consistantly out of it (the time drops if I'm playing a lot of wireless, no big shock).  Add on top of that titles that I have fun playing (sequel or no), and the DS was just the big winner.  In a year...I couldn't say...

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 28, 2005, 03:48:19 PM »

No, you goon, that's X-Men Legends 2 on the PSP.

That's the goon's point! (I'm typing in 3rd person!)

They are the same!!!!  biggrin

Nope, not quite.  Here, I'll quote my post from page 3:

Mario Kart doesn't have "three new tracks and a map screen", it has sixteen new tracks (much the same of each previous game in the series), three new "battle" modes, a challenge mode, a slew of kart/character combos not seen in the previous games, as well as sixteen returning tracks remixed into the "retro" cup.

Maybe I should've been more specific.  Can you load up Mario Kart DS and play Mario Kart: Double Dash?  No, you can't.  You're playing a different game, even though the core gameplay is the same.  That's why it's called Mario Kart.  That's a sequel.  That's why X-Men Legends 2 plays almost the same as X-Men Legends 1.  It's a sequel.  But X-Men Legends 2 on the PSP actually is the same game as X-Men Legends 2 on the other consoles, with just a couple stages thrown in.  But Mario Kart DS is not a port.

Seriously.

Write an e-mail to Gamespot, or IGN, or Gamespy and ask them "Hey, is Mario Kart DS a port or a sequel?"  They'll all tell you, it's a sequel.  Ask them if X-Men Legends 2 on the PSP is a port or a sequel, and they'll tell you:  it's a port.

What challenge did I miss?

The one you quoted.  slywink

And I listed all the new material in my quote further above in this post.   Tongue

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 28, 2005, 04:35:14 PM »

You are splitting hairs and jumping to the actual definitions.

If it makes you feel better, go right ahead!  biggrin

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 28, 2005, 05:58:59 PM »

I own a PSP and just goot my son the Mario kart DS for RamaHanuKwanzMaStice. I like both systems. The PSP does a have a good number of ports, many of which sport some cool extra content (like the aforementioned X-Men Legends 2). There are also an increasing number of unique games or games that are otherwise unavailable in the US.

The DS is an interesting beast. While all consoles have their share of good and bad games, the DS seems to be even more polarized than usual in this regard. The DS has the touch screen/dual screens which makes it unique. Games designed around the DS from the start (Kirby Canvas Curse, Mario Kart, etc) tend to be really good. The games we are seeing that are ports of games on other current systems thrown onto the DS just for the heck of it, stuff like Need for Speed Most Wanted, seem like they are getting extremely poor reviews. Because of the "gimmick" nature of the system, I think it prudent to be especially selective when choosing DS games, particularly when they are ports and not games exclusive to the DS.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 28, 2005, 08:51:43 PM »

You are splitting hairs and jumping to the actual definitions.

If it makes you feel better, go right ahead!  biggrin

Splitting hairs?  Not even close.

Jumping to the actual definitions?  Yes!  Because so many people can't seem to grasp the big difference!  It's driving me bonkers!  Farscry SMASH!!!  RARRRGHHHH!!!

*takes his medicine*

*calms down*

Ok... I'm better now...

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 28, 2005, 09:13:13 PM »

Smashy - I'll give it too you:

The DS is full of SEQUELS.

Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 29, 2005, 08:05:26 AM »

Man, I really want to participate more in this thread but I love both my DS (gay Animal Crossing and all) and my PSP (gay loading times and all).  

The game libraries for both are so vastly different that it really is worth owning both systems... go donate blood & semen if you have to (preferrably not mixed together).

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 29, 2005, 04:01:00 PM »

I said it before and I will say it again.

If a hockey game is released on the DS, Devil will come running and be praising the virtues of the DS forever.  This includes a Mario Hockey game.  Trust me.  I'm right.  And Devil knows this.  He wouldn't call a Mario Hockey game a sequel! :wink:

Edited to add:

Starshifter says:  DS>>>>PSP.  biggrin

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 29, 2005, 04:10:00 PM »

I would love to get a Mario Hockey game for the DS!!

But...
I can already play hockey on my PSP!

PSP>DS  Tongue

depward

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 29, 2005, 09:44:25 PM »

I can already play hockey on my PSP!

PSP>DS  Tongue

And boy isn't it a shitty port!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 30, 2005, 01:51:45 AM »

Hey, how cool would a simple air hockey game be on the DS? The screens would frame the table perfectly, and the stylus would be great for the paddle.

I'd hit it.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 30, 2005, 03:28:59 AM »

Dep - Gretzky for the PSP isn't that bad, and a million times better than the DS hockey games!

Hey, how cool would a simple air hockey game be on the DS? The screens would frame the table perfectly, and the stylus would be great for the paddle.

That would be the perfect game for the DS. A Pong remake!! The background would be white instead of black, you guys could call it a sequel and praise Nintendo for their innovation!

Tongue  :wink:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: