http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 07:02:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DS or PSP?  (Read 9241 times)
TheGameAh
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: December 19, 2005, 07:23:27 PM »

Was looking at maybe getting a handheld sometime soon.  I've seen the articles, the comparisons, etc.  But I have not heard from the almighty GT collective.  What do you have, and why?

I'm leaning toward the DS, for sheer cost reasons.  But are there killer apps for the PSP that are worthwhile?  Is the movie feature really nice?

Anyway, opinions?
Scott
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 07:25:43 PM »

This is the best topic on forum, and it seems daily.  Just remember, Nintendo is profitable smile.

Figure out which of the handheld games you like and choose.   Personally, I'd buy the GBA again before either of these systems.  

Somewhat helpful PSP comment though, I pesonally like the movie feature, as at times it helps the kids sit still when I need them too.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005, 07:29:16 PM »

I owned both.  I found the PSP to be an awesome piece of hardware and was amazed by the video,picture,mp3,emulation and all the other extras, but I found the games to be boring and mostly just ports of games that I already owned on the PS2 or Xbox.  These ports of course were all watered down with worse graphics.  Now, if these games were less than the console-counterpart, I wouldnt have a problem with it.  However, all the third party games were exactly the same price as the console version.  (Yes Devil, I am expecting to be attacked, so go ahead)

Now, I LOVE my DS and play it all the time.  Games are less, the system is less and I feel the games are a lot more fun.  I would say just buy the DS, you can get one and 3 games for the same price as a PSP.  Sure you wont get video and MP3s, but I have found the actual gaming to be much more enjoyable on the DS.

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005, 07:32:47 PM »

I would say just buy the DS, you can get one and 3 games for the same price as a PSP.

Of course, you could buy a GBA SP, which is a lot more portable then the DS, and a few games for it as well, for the same price as the DS.  And, you'd be playing the same basic games.  Though, I guess you wouldn't have that incredibly unique, new stylus support smile.  (Yes, bored till 3pm and a demo I have to give today...)

You should define what genres you want to play, then this debate gets pretty simple, say, if you want to play racing and sports games...

---
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2005, 07:48:12 PM »

Buy the PSP as some of the new games are starting to come out.  The DS is actually fun if you want to play  with a make believe dog or fuck around in some piece of shit town while looking for a fishing pole

*Let the flaming begin

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2005, 07:51:26 PM »

It's been almost 2 days!!

I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better.

Another, little known, fact: Nintendo is making money.

biggrin

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2005, 07:59:18 PM »

Take a look at Game Rankings and see what games interest you the most. Don't forget to look over the GBA line up. And, see what games coming out suit your fancy too. As long as you enjoy playing the games that are on your system, you can't go wrong.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2005, 08:17:56 PM »

Having owned both, I'll echo Gator's comments.  The PSP is an awesome little machine, but the game lineup is seriously lacking if you're into anything besides racing or sports games.  If you're into RPG's, forget it.  I sold mine before most of the movies came out, but I certainly like the idea.

The DS has a great lineup of quirky and interesting games...but quirky and interesting are definately matters of opinion.  While I love playing Meteos, Trauma Center or Metroid Pinball, I'm sure there are plenty of others who think they are complete crap.  The DS has the added plus of backwards compatibility with the GBA, a feature which I have used far more than any of the actual DS games.  

Take a hard look at the games (and especially the upcoming releases) to determine which system would be best for you.  I'd highly recommend the DS at this point, but ask me again in a year after the PSP has a bigger library and I might change my mind.

My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2005, 08:21:43 PM »

I think a lot of it depends on what your handheld playing habits are.  If you are the type who does a lot of business traveling or has a lot of contiguous time to play handhelds and are also interested in being able to watch movies, then the PSP is a great piece of hardware that's finally starting to see some really good games (although like it was pointed out, a lot are ports of existing PS2 games you may already own).

If you are more the type of person who tends to pick up and play a game for 5-15 minutes chunks, then the DS may be up your alley with its lightning fast load times and handheld focus.  As a few people pointed out, in addition to the solid DS lineup you also have the ability to play GBA games as well....

I've enjoyed both immensely, and I think that either way you go, you'll end up (1) loving the system you chose and (2) find yourself also wanting to buy the other system.

Oh, and Nintendo is making money.  And their games are only for kids.  And Animal Crossing can't possibly be fun.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2005, 09:16:30 PM »

trucy that was hilarious!  and hey dont mock question ive been going through the some of the same stuff - having shunned the handheld market for years as "lil kids toys" i finally think i want one.

what do you (PSP) guys think of legend of heroes, kingdom of paradise and any other RPGS you may have heard about ? (i dont like to wait, so keep them within the next 2 months tops)

and you ds guys - lunar? how was that?  is golden sun worth grabbing?  any rpgs coming out soon? (i know about ff iv)  mayb this will help whoever started the thread as well
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2005, 09:17:06 PM »

If you want a portable gaming-machine, get a DS.

If you want a portable all-in-wonder, get a PSP.

I think it comes down to, do you want something that will strictly play games?  Or do you want to pay an extra $120 for a movie player/mp3 player/web browswer?

For a guy with an MP3 player already and no real desire for web-browsing or movie-watching on the go, a DS was the perfect option for me because I just wanted to game with the device (and to be fair, I owned a PSP before I owned a DS and ended up selling the PSP).

So the games argument coule go on forever, but if you want more than just a portable gaming-handheld, the PSP would be the obvious choice.  But then you'd be missing out on Ouendan, Animal Crossing, Mario Kart....  :wink:

TheMissingLink on PSN
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2005, 09:26:58 PM »

But then you'd be missing out on Ouendan, Animal Crossing, Mario Kart....

I can't think of a better reason to buy a PSP then that that.  Sleep clinics across the country should start buying DS' in bulk with a copy of Animal Crossing, and force their clients to play!

Animal Crossing vs GTA
Lunar (horrid game by reviews) vs X-Men 2, Kingdom of Paradise
Mario Kart vs Burnout Legends
Puppy abuse vs nothing thank god smile

edit:
Seriously though, the best portable system is probably the GBA SP, or Gameboy Micro.  Both are truly portable, and let you play an incredible amount of games.  You can pay more for a DS and play GBA games too, but then you lose some of the portability, and the games really aren't that different, though I'm sure we can argue.

So, used GBA SP at EB for $30 or $40, Advance Wars, Fire Emblem, and the genre game of your choice...

---
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2005, 09:29:05 PM »

All a matter of taste, Scott!  smile

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2005, 09:31:30 PM »

All a matter of taste, Scott! Smile

smile Of course, fun to argue on a slow day!

---
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2005, 09:31:59 PM »

If you want to play GBA games you mine as well go with the DS since it can play both GBA and DS, putting down 80+ bucks on a GBA doesn't really make sense when you can just put 50 more and get the DS which will play the entire catalog of games anyway.

Personally though I'm a PSP fan since there are three things I really like about it, the graphics, the mp3 support, and the web browsing feature.
Then again as already pointed out, it's a good $100+ more than the DS.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2005, 09:34:55 PM »

putting down 80+ bucks on a GBA doesn't really make sense when you can just put 50 more and get the DS which will play the entire catalog of games anyway.

I think the GBA SP, and Micro, are truly portable, pocket systems, where the DS isn't.  $50 more is one of two extra games, and if you buy a used GBA SP, you save more.

---
motodd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2005, 09:40:02 PM »

I own both and really like both. Think of it as the PSone vs. the N64. You like RPG's, sports games and maybe you are more of a solo gamer then go with the PSP. You like Nintendo properties, games where you pull weeds and yell at your system, puzzle games and really get into fun multiplayer games then go with the DS. Or say the hell with it and get both and not have to worry about the PSP vs DS fanboy my system is better than your system crap. Or........
do what has been mentioned a few times and get a GBA, bigger game library and better true portability. IMO of course smile
warning

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2005, 09:40:03 PM »

Quote from: "Scott"
This is the best topic on forum, and it seems daily.

That's so true.  What is it with the regular DS vs. PSP debates here?

I own both.  I play movies on my PSP and very few games.  I play games on my DS and... nothing else because it doesn't do anything else.  The movie feature on the PSP is really nice.  I also use it to do homebrew/emulation stuff and it works great for that.

The actual PSP games... eh.  Most seem hamstrung by loooonnngg loading times.  I find it's hard to just pick up and play for a few minutes - I actually have to set aside time to play like I do with my PC or other consoles.

The graphics on the DS pale in comparison to the PSP.  Are graphics important to you?

Do you tend to like Nintendo games.  If not then you should avoid the DS.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2005, 09:59:27 PM »

Seriously, like the others (on both sides) have said, what you need to do is think about what games you like most, whether or not having portable movies/music makes a difference to you, and how much you're willing to spend.

All of those will factor in to help you pick which system.  Because all fanboy-ness aside, everyone here should be able to agree that both the PSP and DS are solid portable systems.  Each one does some things better than the other, and each of them has strengths in the game library doesn't.  So you have to figure out which strengths and weaknesses make a bigger difference for you and go with that.

For my preferences, I went with a DS and haven't regretted it one bit (and I already had a GBA, at that).  The PSP still doesn't offer enough compelling content for my tastes to warrant a purchase, even though I agree that it has beautiful graphics and... well, it has beautiful graphics.  slywink  But that's all that appeals to me about the system so far.  I felt the same way about the X-Box when it came out, but three years later there were finally enough compelling games that I picked one up.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2005, 10:12:28 PM »

I can't think of a better reason to buy a PSP then that that. Sleep clinics across the country should start buying DS' in bulk with a copy of Animal Crossing, and force their clients to play!

Animal Crossing vs GTA
Lunar (horrid game by reviews) vs X-Men 2, Kingdom of Paradise
Mario Kart vs Burnout Legends
Puppy abuse vs nothing thank god

So…you’re apparently trying to get him to buy a DS.  slywink  I much prefer AC over any GTA game, and much to my surprise, I’m enjoying Mario Kart much more than I did my time with Burnout.  It’s true that Lunar sucks, but the PSP is not exactly a bastion of great RPG’s (*cough* Untold Legends *cough*).  When you factor in all the GBA RPG’s, I’d say the DS wins that battle hands-down.  See, it all just comes down to personal taste.

and you ds guys - lunar? how was that? is golden sun worth grabbing? any rpgs coming out soon? (i know about ff iv) mayb this will help whoever started the thread as well

Avoid Lunar like the plague.  It is a horrible, horrible game and it’s a shame that was the first traditional RPG released for the system.  There should be plenty in the GBA back-catalog to keep you busy until the new crop of DS RPG’s arrives.  Final Fantasy Tactics:  Advance, Golden Sun, Riviera (although I wasn’t crazy about it), Fire Emblem, Mario & Luigi:  Superstar Sage, and a host of others are all solid games.  As far as new RPG’s, off the top of my head I can think of a remake of FFIII, a new Mana game, a Xenosaga game, and a Baten Kaitos spin-off.  If you’re a turn-based RPG fan, Disciples and Age of Empires are coming, and Advance Wars DS is certainly worth a look.  The recently released Mario & Luigi game is supposed to be very good, although I haven’t tried it yet.

And last but not least, every DS owner has to try Meteos (which, imo, is far better than it’s PSP counterpart, Lumines) and Metroid pinball.  There is certainly enough there to keep any gamer busy.

My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2005, 11:32:05 PM »

Quote from: "Doopri"what do you (PSP) guys think of legend of heroes, kingdom of paradise and any other RPGS you may have heard about ? (i dont like to wait, so keep them within the next 2 months tops)[/quote

Kingdom of paradise is an action rpg that looks really good. Legend of heroes (and also PoPoLocrois) are more old school turn-based. Have heard great things about all of them. One coming down the road that looks awesome is Generation of Chaos. Some great-looking PSP stuff on the way (Katamari Damacy, WOOT!)

I really think the PSP lineup is starting to look much stronger. I'm excited about the aforementioned Me and My katamari, Field Commander, Metal gear Acid 2, and others.

The hard part though is that I've been playing the 360 a lot, and haven't been making time for the PSP. For instance, I looked forward to Tokobot for months, but haven't picked it up because I have LotR and X-Men Legends 2 practically untouched. Heck I've been wanting to try Virtua Tennis, Kingdom of Paradise, Armored Core sounds neat, etc etc...there's more stuff coming out that I'd like to try, just on PSP than I have time for.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2005, 11:53:49 PM »

While I like them both, I'll have to go with the DS over the PSP.  I don't really use the PSP for anything other than gaming, so I seldom use it for  web browsing and the other functions.   While the PSP has better graphics, the game library is so much better with the DS.  It has close to zero load times and the ability to play GBA games makes it the winner with me.

I still wish Sony would have included a second analog on the PSP.  It seems like most of the gripes in PSP games is the omission of a second nub.  Would it have been so difficult?

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2005, 12:07:50 AM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
If you want a portable gaming-machine, get a DS.

If you want a portable all-in-wonder, get a PSP.

agreed...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2005, 12:14:17 AM »

Quote from: "Farscry_Redux"
The PSP still doesn't offer enough compelling content for my tastes to warrant a purchase, even though I agree that it has beautiful graphics and... well, it has beautiful graphics.  slywink  But that's all that appeals to me about the system so far.  I felt the same way about the X-Box when it came out, but three years later there were finally enough compelling games that I picked one up.

I think that's a very good point. The PSP may be the perfect purchase for TheGameAh ... in a few months.

For what it's worth, I'd be a little wary of a Katamari game on the PSP, only because the controls would seem ... funny. The series would work a lot better with the DS's stylus, IMHO. (IMHO!).

Oh, and what about peripherals that you reall do need for the systems? Memory cards, cases, I dunno, other stuff?

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2005, 12:37:29 AM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
Oh, and what about peripherals that you reall do need for the systems? Memory cards, cases, I dunno, other stuff?

I don't know about the PSP (one of the owners should have a good idea) other than a carrying case to protect that screen, but I don't have any accessories for my DS at all and it's just fine.  Maybe a case if you travel a lot and want to carry the games without the "boxes" they come in.  Headphones too, because the system doesn't come with any.  But otherwise the DS has all you really need right out of the box.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2005, 12:49:33 AM »

If you decide to go the PSP route, I'd recommend getting a bigger memory stick - especially if you want to upload your own movies/games/etc.  The 32MB default stick fills up in a hurry, even if you only use it for gaming - a couple of Wipeout track packs and you're full smile

I bought the PSP bundle at launch that contained the charger, USB, Spiderman 2, etc. - I'm not sure if the base bundle they offer has all of that as well or not, but I would expect the charger/USB cable to be standard.  A lot of people I know would also say that a nice hard case for the PSP is a requirement, but I get by just fine with the fuzzy little jacket that comes with it.

I don't think the DS really needs much.  I let my 3 and 1 yr olds play with it occasionally, and the screen is still in pretty good shape with few scratches - the thing is pretty rugged.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
unbreakable
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2005, 01:03:58 AM »

If the DS had a web browser, I would be SO there.  As it is, I'm considering buying a PSP just for that feature.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2005, 01:09:25 AM »

Quote from: "Dimmona"
If you decide to go the PSP route, I'd recommend getting a bigger memory stick - especially if you want to upload your own movies/games/etc.  The 32MB default stick fills up in a hurry, even if you only use it for gaming - a couple of Wipeout track packs and you're full smile

True for Wipeout, but there's no other game I know of where you'd need more than 32.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2005, 01:56:33 AM »

The PSP giga pack isn't much more then the normal kit, and has the 1 gig memory stick.

If the DS had a web browser, I would be SO there. As it is, I'm considering buying a PSP just for that feature.

Buy a cheap PDA with a keyboard on it.  The PSP's browser is more of a pain then anything else I've found.  

I still wish Sony would have included a second analog on the PSP. It seems like most of the gripes in PSP games is the omission of a second nub. Would it have been so difficult?

Since the DS doesn't even have an analog stick, maybe it is difficult to just put one on smile.

How long before Nintendo will revise the DS?  They've had a lot of GBA versions.  Was it a year after the first GBA, before the GBA SP, or longer?  A smaller DS would be a lot more appealing to me.

---
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2005, 03:28:47 AM »

Katamari game on the PSP, only because the controls would seem ... funny.

Funny like Super Mario 64 DS type funny?

Stay away from the PSP because the controls of a game that isn't out yet could be "funny"!!

What about the big DS release games controls?

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!!!

You DS guys crack me up!

biggrin

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2005, 03:42:41 AM »

Hey, I don't have a DS, and I think the stylus control for Mario 64 DS would be even worse than Katamari on a PSP. How are you supposed to play Katamari on the PSP, anyway? Do the buttons on the right double for the missing analogue stick?

I just think dragging the katamari around with the stylus would be a perfect fit.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2005, 04:04:54 AM »

Hey, I don't have a DS, and I think the stylus control for Mario 64 DS would be even worse than Katamari on a PSP.

I tried using the stylus and wriststrap nub for awhile on Mario 64 thinking it would get easier.  It didn't.  thumbsdown

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2005, 04:47:38 AM »

Hey, I don't have a DS, and I think the stylus control for Mario 64 DS would be even worse than Katamari on a PSP. How are you supposed to play Katamari on the PSP, anyway? Do the buttons on the right double for the missing analogue stick?

I read that you use the D-pad and the face buttons (Triangle, X, Circle, Square).  It is a little strange at first, but you get used to it quickly.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
depward

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2005, 08:04:14 AM »

Owned a PSP.  It was a fun device when I had it.  But, to me, it just didn't seem like a portable gaming machine.  What I wanted was something that I could boot up quickly and get some gaming in fast.  Also, I always had to "pamper" it when I carried it around.  I wanted something I could just sling around - not something I had to be extra careful with.  It does have some fun games for it out now (Lumines and Hot Shots were two of my favs), the rest of the line-up didn't impress me and I sold it (though, this is before Valkyrie Profile for the PSP was announced . . .  biggrin ).

Then I bought a DS.  And, since buying it, I've played that "system" more than all of my others combined.  Though it doesn't rival the graphical capabilities of the PSP nor the added extras such as movie watching, MP3 player, and web broswer, the DS provides fun games that are offered at a good price-point.

Animal Crossing, in itself, is a perfect handheld "on the go" game if you're into that sort of thing.  It's digital crack.  Definately look into it if you're leaning towards a DS.  It might seem "kiddy" (which many PSP lovers seem to tag DS games with), but there isn't a game out there with the charm and sheer addictiveness as AC.  Add along with this great fantastic titles that can't be emulated on any other system (Ouendan, Trauma Center) and some made-for-portability games (Mario Kart, Mario and Luigi: Partners in Crime, Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow) and you have a pretty nice line-up of games.

So!  I'll echo what TML said and what semi agreed on - if you want a portable "all-in-one" machine that can do it all and look good doing it (as well as have a stronger RPG line-up in about half a year or so), then consider a PSP.  If you want a strictly game-orientated portable experience with a wealth of different types of games as well as an expansive GBA library, go for a DS.

They both have their strengths and weaknesses.  And, of course, your personal taste and what you want to get out of your portable experience varies from the rest of us.  So I suppose you'll just have to see what type of "portable person" you are and base your decision off of that.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2005, 10:07:01 AM »

I had both. I still have the DS, and we are getting a second one with Animal crossing next week for the my wife. We are sure as hell going to be sleepy... :roll:  I got rid of the PSP because of the loadtimes, battery time, noise moving parts, buggy games, buggy systems, and I really just quit playing it.
 There are good games for it, but at 40 or 50. Most DS are 29.99-34.99. Much more reasonable. The catalog for the DS is much better too, I know it`s been out shorter, but still, it has more games that are better IMHO.
 Mario Kart, Animal crossing, Meteos (I like more than lumines), Metroid Pinball!!!, and Warioware are all the games I have I think...I might be missing something...Anywho, MK, AC, and meteos are crazy good. You could pick those up and the a DS for $215.00. Or get the bundle with MK (its red) then you could get all that for $200.00. The PSP ALONE!!! is $250.00.
 They both are good systems to some extent, or they can/will maybe will be someday. But the cost of DS with it`s great crop of games makes it`s hard to resist...
warning

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2005, 01:03:04 PM »

Quote from: "Harpua3"
There are good games for it, but at 40 or 50. Most DS are 29.99-34.99. Much more reasonable.

That's a good point.  I find I'm willing to take more chances with DS games because they are cheaper.  If Phoenix Wright had been $50 I would probably never have tried it.

With PSP games I have to be really certain before I buy one at $50.

Will PSP games go to Greatest Hits versions like the PS2 games and sell for $20 at some point?
TheGameAh
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2005, 01:10:13 PM »

First off, sorry if I missed any earlier discussions.  Didn't mean to bring up dead horses, if that's the case.  I saw discussions on a lot of the games, but not the actual systems.

Hmm, maybe I'll wait just a bit longer.  I'd love to get the DS, but I don't have a PS2, and if they're going to be releasing some PS2-style RPGs for the PSP, that's what I'd really love.
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2005, 02:06:07 PM »

How are the screens on the DS -- are the screen protectors something that a normal adult would require?  

(I scratched the heck out of my palm pilot over the years, which is why I ask)

Thanks in advance!

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
warning

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2005, 02:27:58 PM »

Quote from: "JLu"
How are the screens on the DS -- are the screen protectors something that a normal adult would require?  

(I scratched the heck out of my palm pilot over the years, which is why I ask)

Thanks in advance!

The unit closes like a clamshell to protect the screens (sorta like the GBA SP).  The actual screens seem pretty durable.  I've had mine since early August, play it every day and have NO scratches on it at all.  And I don't use a screen protector but I also don't let my kids play on my DS.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2005, 02:38:46 PM »

I own both the DS and the PSP and I play my DS way more than my PSP.  The PSP games have tended just to be ports of PS2 games, whereas the DS games are games (for the most part) created just for the DS.  Now, if you want a multimedia device that you can also happen to play games on, the PSP is the way to go.  However, so far, the DS is by far the superior machine for playing actual games, despite the fact that the graphics are severly lacking when compared to the PSP.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: