http://gamingtrend.com
September 18, 2014, 12:10:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DS Lite bad pixel questions  (Read 982 times)
The_Man
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 26, 2006, 02:47:16 PM »

My son traded his old DS in yesterday for a DS Lite.  When we got in the car to leave Gamestop, he put in a game and everything looked fine.  But when we got home, he put in Animal Crossing and since the top screen is black, there clearly visible were two stuck pixels, one blue, one green.

We put in Mario Kart to make sure it wasn't just Animal Crossing and sure enough, when we got to a black screen, there they were.

My son is 10 and unlike me, says they don't bother him.  He said the only time he sees them is when he is on a pitch black screen and that doesn't happen often.  Basically, he doesn't want to take it back and exhange it, but I know I would if it was mine.

My question is, can these two bad pixels cause future problems down the road or is this as bad as it will get?  I have also heard of stuck pixels getting unstuck somehow, but I guess I just want to know that it won't get any worse.  

Thanks
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 03:05:33 PM »

I'm with you...I'd take it back. However, from everything I've ever heard, it shouldn't get any worse going forward.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 03:41:30 PM »

Contact Nintendo through nintendo.com and have them send you a new unit (they'll take your CC number, but won't charge it unless you don't promptly send the other unit back).

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 03:55:03 PM »

Quote from: "adamsappel"
Contact Nintendo through nintendo.com and have them send you a new unit (they'll take your CC number, but won't charge it unless you don't promptly send the other unit back).

They could do that, but there's no need. The Gamestop he bought it from should exchange it with no hassle.

The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 04:24:15 PM »

Quote from: "Misguided"

They could do that, but there's no need. The Gamestop he bought it from should exchange it with no hassle.

Yeah, he's already said I could bring it back, but my son doesn't want to return it.  I'm probably going to exercise my executive privilege and just take it back. :lol:
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 04:53:23 PM »

Per your advice on my bad pixel issue, I gave another EB location a shot for an exchange.  They claimed, like the other EB, that there was a "company wide email" telling them not to exchange for pixel issues.  When I asked them why other EBs in the countery were, they simply explained "they aren't supposed to."

There's a Gamestop I'll probably try my luck at, but at this point it feels like going through Nintendo will be less hassle.

I guess the Boston area just isn't as customer focused as your district. :(
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 05:31:15 PM »

Ehh ... the pixels won't get any worse, they won't start to cluster or affect those beside them. If it really is your kid's DS, and not "the family's", you might as well just let it be. No hassle for you, and if your kid doesn't mind, then there really isn't any problem.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2006, 06:36:23 PM »

It's a new product and it should be perfect.

If you purchased it at an EB/Gamestop and they say they won't return it, just dispute the charge on your CC for defective merchandise.  Tell them that you'll be doing so and you'll be keeping the Lite and they'll get nothing.

I wouldn't stand for it.

edit: the first one i got at target had a dead pixel. they returned it no questions asked.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2006, 07:02:46 PM »

I still think it really depends how much you want to "fight" your kid with this. Getting the DS replaced won't be a big deal, it's prying the sucker out of your kid's hands that'll be the problem, or so you make it sound.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2006, 02:15:14 PM »

Quote from: "wonderpug"

Per your advice on my bad pixel issue, I gave another EB location a shot for an exchange.  They claimed, like the other EB, that there was a "company wide email" telling them not to exchange for pixel issues.  When I asked them why other EBs in the countery were, they simply explained "they aren't supposed to."

There's a Gamestop I'll probably try my luck at, but at this point it feels like going through Nintendo will be less hassle.

I guess the Boston area just isn't as customer focused as your district. frown

That's unfortunate. It really angers me when people have bad experiences like this. Yeah, I know it isn't my fault, but I know the reputation that GS/EB have among some of you and there are those of us fighting against that every day. I gotta tell you, it can sometimes be frustrating to work your tail off and come home to hit your favorite internet hangouts and see people attacking the company you work for. Then again...half the time I don't really blame them.

At any rate (sorry for the rant) I'm with ATB: As a consumer I wouldn't stand for this.

The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2006, 02:38:08 PM »

Well, I didn't say anything to my son, but we were near Gamestop last night and in the blink of an eye, I pulled in and went inside and exchanged it.  He didn't really have time to object and we checked the new one out before we left the store and it is perfect.  

Even though it was his and he has to live with it,  I still felt that we shouldn't keep something that was defective out of the box.  Glad we swapped it out.

Oh, and for what it's worth, the Gamestop manager said he had no problem exchanging or even refunding for bad pixels.  He understood perfectly.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2006, 05:15:30 PM »

Quote from: "The_Man"
Oh, and for what it's worth, the Gamestop manager said he had no problem exchanging or even refunding for bad pixels.  He understood perfectly.

Ok, apparently Boston is on a different planet than the rest of you.  Just called the Gamestop in town and got, "We have to go with Nintendo's policy on this one, so it has to be 5 or more bad pixels or we can't take it back."

Better than what EB said, and the gal on the phone at Gamestop was actually polite to me, but still no luck.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2006, 05:54:35 PM »

Good to hear you got a new one, as I was going to suggest bringing it back and telling them it was defective, such as the wifi feature isn't working or something like that. (So that way they can't argue about exchanging it for dead pixels.)

The gamestop by me had refused to exchange my PSP that had a dead white pixel on it that was ever so visible during SOCOM online. As much as I wanted to enjoy the game, I coudn't because my eyes kept fixating on that little white dot on the screen. (Even a stuck colored pixel would have been better than that.)
The manager of gamestop said no psp's are perfect no matter where you go. (How do so many people get PSP's with no dead pixels, then?)

I learned my lesson though, while Gamestop is a great place to go for used systems and games (since you can return them within 7 days no matter what) for new systems - I stick to Target (as mentioned already) and Walmart. Both stores are more than happy to exchange or refund you for dead pixels.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2006, 01:31:44 PM »

I also jumped into the DS era yesterday.  Got the Toys 'R Us bundle for $140  (DS Lite, Brain Age, Big Brain Academy,Brain Age Kit(brain age themed carrying case + accessories)).  Also took advantage of their buy 2 get one free deal (Metroid, Tetris, Animal Crossing).  Had a $5 off coupon which took 5 bucks off every game, even the ones in the bundle.  All in all with tax, it came to $204 for the DS Lite, a case, and 5 games.

BUT....the damn thing has a bright blue stuck pixel right in the middle of the screen.  When the screen is displaying a dark scene, it's all I see.   :x  :x  :x

I already filed a RMA with Nintendo, since I don't feel like driving all the way out to TRU again.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2006, 03:09:50 PM »

Quote from: "Greggy_D"All in all with tax, it came to $204 for the DS Lite, a case, and 5 games.[/quote

Wow! Sounds like you made out like a bandit! Grats. Sorry about the pixel.

Re: Gamestop, obviously I'm biased, but if this thread has demonstrated anything, it's that not all are created equal. If in doubt check with the store manager before you make a hardware purchase on what the pixel policy is.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: