http://gamingtrend.com
August 27, 2014, 07:12:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DS Homebrew  (Read 6774 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2006, 02:00:19 PM »

Quote from: Zarkon on December 09, 2006, 01:51:14 PM

Out of curiousity, how much was a 2GB MiniSD?

Cheapest I see on Newegg is $28.99 plus shipping. You can get a 1GB model for $16.99 plus shipping as well. A ton cheaper than their tinier sister, the MicroSD.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2006, 02:57:40 PM »

Huh.  Oh well smile
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2006, 03:52:38 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on December 09, 2006, 02:00:19 PM

Quote from: Zarkon on December 09, 2006, 01:51:14 PM

Out of curiousity, how much was a 2GB MiniSD?

Cheapest I see on Newegg is $28.99 plus shipping. You can get a 1GB model for $16.99 plus shipping as well. A ton cheaper than their tinier sister, the MicroSD.

Yeah, and really really FAST 2GB MiniSD's will set you have $40ish.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
unbreakable
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2006, 09:51:30 PM »

Well, I have a regular 2gb SD card already.  I intended to use it with my MP3 player, but I haven't even exceeded the 512mb it comes with.

Maybe I'll just go with the cheapest options.

One thing I read about regarding the DS-X is that it doesn't require "patching" to get stuff to work.  What is this, and is it much trouble?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 09:53:01 PM by unbreakable » Logged
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2006, 03:11:40 AM »

Quote from: unbreakable on December 09, 2006, 09:51:30 PM

One thing I read about regarding the DS-X is that it doesn't require "patching" to get stuff to work.  What is this, and is it much trouble?

Normally that implies that you have to run (or download via their website) the included program and take a few seconds to 'patch' it to run best via their device.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2006, 03:41:54 AM »

Quote from: unbreakable on December 09, 2006, 09:51:30 PM

Basically you tell the program which directory has your roms, then select "Patch", and it does it in a couple minutes for you.  Basically it turns on things like the availability of insta-save modes, cheats, etc.  Believe me, insta-save is amazing, especially with games that have save points!

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
unbreakable
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2006, 06:09:31 AM »

Yeah, I loved insta-save when I had Megaman Zero.  It pissed off my brother, though: he got me a GBA and MMZ, but that fucking game is so hard it's practically impossible to play without using save states.  LOL, he walked in when I was playing it on my computer, and asked "isn't that the game I just bought you?"

Anyway, I returned the GBA and game a little while later, since they were coming out with the GBA SP.  Never picked that up, either, so I held out all the way to the DS Lite.  Pretty happy now, however: that GBA's screen was impossible to see (I didn't admit it to my brother, but that more than the save states were why I was playing it on my PC).
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 04:26:12 PM by unbreakable » Logged
unbreakable
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2006, 07:06:04 PM »

Wow... I just read a news item about the DS-Xtreme:

...the DS-Xtreme "has enough "room" to fit a complete ARM9 core and can be clocked at over 300mhz!" Although, this would not be overclocked to such an extreme due to the fact that there won't be any "room" left over for anything else. Now, to put this into reference - the DS has two CPU's which clock in at 67mhz and 33mhz each! The DS-Xtreme is more powerful than your DS and has the ability to change into something entirely different than it is now. Need it to boost up the speed on an emulator - grab a DS-Xtreme, chat with the team and settle something out where you, the developer, can use part of their great technology and speed. The DS can be powerful, you just need something to help it get its way to that status - the DS-Xtreme will do that!

So at this point it seems how much value added by having a DS-X depends on whether people will start making applications specific to the DS-X.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2006, 07:53:55 PM »

Got the Supercard Lite and Passcard today, will have to wait to mess with it until tomorrow, as I don't have the MicroSD yet.
MahaROGa
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2006, 07:38:30 PM »

I've got an order in for a Supercard Lite and Passcard as well (should arrive on Friday), so I'm interested in any "user experiences" info...  The "homebrew" issue was one of the major factors in choosing a DS over a PSP. 

Above it is recommended to assure that you get a "fast" MicroSD card.  I'm having trouble decerning what is fast or not.  Is there a ratings site with this info or maybe just a rule of thumb?

Thanks!

GoneGold Refugee
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2006, 07:59:14 PM »

from what I've read, unless you're doing some high end stuff, most things will be fine with a standard MicroSD card.
MahaROGa
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2006, 10:00:59 PM »

Quote from: Zarkon on December 13, 2006, 07:59:14 PM

from what I've read, unless you're doing some high end stuff, most things will be fine with a standard MicroSD card.

Thanks!  I don't think I'll be pushing it too hard...  I'm mostly interested in DoomDS and playing MP3's so I doubt that will put a real big strain on it.

GoneGold Refugee
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2006, 02:10:13 AM »

Having fun with my flashcard so far.  Trying to figure out how to set up wifi on it so I can do things like internet streaming and such.  Got Moonshell running fine. smile
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2006, 06:31:58 AM »

Quote from: MahaROGa on December 13, 2006, 07:38:30 PM

I've got an order in for a Supercard Lite and Passcard as well (should arrive on Friday), so I'm interested in any "user experiences" info...  The "homebrew" issue was one of the major factors in choosing a DS over a PSP. 

Above it is recommended to assure that you get a "fast" MicroSD card.  I'm having trouble decerning what is fast or not.  Is there a ratings site with this info or maybe just a rule of thumb?

Thanks!

Hey there...there's really no rule of thumb.  Most MicroSD card should be just fine smile  Most the slow down problem people report are because of older firmware and usually not because of the card.  Most card bought at a reputable place should be fine - what you really have to watch for are fake cards.  Fake supercards, fake passcards, fake microsd.
unbreakable
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2007, 04:27:56 PM »

I'm going to order this up this week; Buy.com had a Kensington microSD card for $1 after MiR, so it looks like it's time to get the rest! 

Any impressions from those who took the plunge?

[edit] I couldn't really wait, I just ordered a SuperCard Lite Rumble and a SuperKey.  I checked one site which tracked Homebrew compatibility with the various systems, and while they liked the DS-Xtreme, a lot of the projects I was interested in (like the DS Linux) didn't work on it yet.  Even worse, someone said the DS Linux guys didn't have any interest in making their stuff work with Slot-1 only solutions  icon_frown
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 05:50:53 PM by unbreakable » Logged
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2007, 07:49:12 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on January 31, 2007, 04:27:56 PM

I checked one site which tracked Homebrew compatibility with the various systems, and while they liked the DS-Xtreme, a lot of the projects I was interested in (like the DS Linux) didn't work on it yet.

Care to PM me that link? I'm curious as of the results.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 07:52:06 PM by Destructor » Logged

unbreakable
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2007, 09:39:03 PM »

Wow, it was harder to re-find than I thought it would be.

Wiki for DS Homebrew compatibility

Then there is also a good article which gives kind of a 'primer' to doing homebrew on the DS.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2007, 09:57:39 PM »

[edit] I couldn't really wait, I just ordered a SuperCard Lite Rumble and a SuperKey.  I checked one site which tracked Homebrew compatibility with the various systems, and while they liked the DS-Xtreme, a lot of the projects I was interested in (like the DS Linux) didn't work on it yet.

I'm not sure you want to hear this, but I don't think DS Linux will work on the Supercard Lite Rumble either. They had to remove the GBA portion of the Supercard to fit the rumble device in, and I think that's where you'll find the extra RAM that DS Linux needs.
unbreakable
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2007, 02:10:10 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on January 31, 2007, 09:57:39 PM

[edit] I couldn't really wait, I just ordered a SuperCard Lite Rumble and a SuperKey.  I checked one site which tracked Homebrew compatibility with the various systems, and while they liked the DS-Xtreme, a lot of the projects I was interested in (like the DS Linux) didn't work on it yet.

I'm not sure you want to hear this, but I don't think DS Linux will work on the Supercard Lite Rumble either. They had to remove the GBA portion of the Supercard to fit the rumble device in, and I think that's where you'll find the extra RAM that DS Linux needs.

Are you shittin me?  Damn it.  I just ordered it this afternoon, and *almost* ordered the Supercard miniSD by mistake.

Oh well.  Honestly, the Lunix wasn't a huge pull for me, but  It would have been nice to tinker with.  I was actually hoping to get the Linux version of DOS-Box running on it, since there isn't a DS DOS-Box.  Since I don't know what the hell I'm doing with Linux, I guess in the end it doesn't matter TOO much.

It also would have been good for the web browser, but there is a homebrew browser I can try anyway.

[edit] ok, I checked the DS Linux wiki, and here is what they say on their SuperCard page:

DSLinux can access the storage device of Supercard CF, SD, miniSD and microSD (Supercard Lite).

Their download page does have a version specific for the SuperCard Rumble, so I guess someone may have worked around a problem?  I'll just try it out when the stuff comes in and hope for the best.

They don't seem to be able or interested in making it work with Slot-1 solutions, however, which is strangely disappointing.  According to what I read on the DS X-treme compatibility page, the DS-X team actually offered the DS Linux guys FREE cards in order to help them support their product, and they just said "sorry, not interested".  IMO, they are passing up a huge opportunity: the DS X-treme actually has an ARM chip in it which could potentially be used to extend the power of a homebrew app a great deal beyond what is normally possible.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 02:23:11 AM by unbreakable » Logged
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2007, 06:18:46 AM »

Either they worked around the problem for the rumble cards, or I was wrong in the first place. I don't really know, but it's good to hear that it'll work anyway.
unbreakable
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2007, 08:40:25 AM »

Woohoo!!!

Got the stuff in today.  Went out tonight, and will be busy tomorrow (Da Bearsssssssss.........), but I'm going to try doing at least some stuff with it.
unbreakable
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2007, 08:58:55 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on February 01, 2007, 06:18:46 AM

Either they worked around the problem for the rumble cards, or I was wrong in the first place. I don't really know, but it's good to hear that it'll work anyway.

Hmmm... it seems what I thought about DS-Xtreme was out of date.  They now have a version which works with any Slot-1 device.
unbreakable
« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2007, 08:06:51 PM »

Damn, the SC Lite Rumble is actually missing a feature I wanted.  It clearly says this right on the vendors page, but I missed it.

I also couldn't get Moonshell to work on it.
unbreakable
« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2007, 05:42:30 PM »

Ok!  All is going good, and it's pretty amazing.

I put a bunch of MP3's on it, right now I'm listening to Marilyn Manson at work.  W00t!!  I was also screwing around with trying to get video on it, and converted a really short MPEG movie into the format it needs (DPG).  It looks nice, now I just have to figure out how to get some of my recorded shows from the media player format (dvr-ms) and into DPG.

I ended up with the R4DS for Slot 1, and the SuperCard Lite (not Rumble) for Slot 2.  I did miscalculate, however; the R4 will let you use it as a passthough, but it's entire OS is contained on the microSD card... and I only have one right now (I had planned on swapping it between the two devices as needed).  Anyway, I ordered a new microSD card, you can find a 1gb for about $15.

I was also doing some reading on DS Linux, and it seems like a complete waste of time.  The guys doing it seem perfectly content now that they have it displaying a command prompt, and that's about as far as they care to take it.  So it doesn't appear practical in any way (someone feel free to correct me).
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: September 30, 2007, 02:52:13 AM »

Arise!

Just ordered & received my r4ds along with the ezflash 3n1 (gba/rumble/browser) to do some homebrew with. Really interested in doom/hexen ds and emulators (c64 using frodods and apple with pomds). Been watching youtube vids. Looked into it a while ago but never bit until now.

Sadly my microsd card didn't arrive from newegg today (online prices give me double the storage compared to b&m for same $) so I get to stare at my goods until monday night, when I expect to receive it. frown

In its absence I've been toying with my pc's c64 and apple emus.

Oh the wait....

Thought about nabbing a cheapo microsd to play with on sunday and then return it when I get my real one.  ninja Give me time to tweak and figure out all the wonky dldi patching/correct directory settings, etc. and then just copy the contents to my keeper card.

I never got into the carts for the gba due to cost but the ds ones are cheap. I also like that they now use sd cards so the user can decide the storage capacity instead of set limits.

It all fits so nicely in my system..so snug. If only I could give it life...

EDIT: I'll be nabbing zelda with a $30 gift card I've been holding onto so will have a busy DS week this week!

EDIT2: Grabbed a 1gb sandisk that I'll probably just keep. Already 1/2 full with mods. Got doomds, hexends and quakeds running with no problem. Also got frodods (c64) and pomds (apple) working. The c64 one is sweet. Can get autoduel to load and play smile but not save frown . It does the same with my pc frodo so its the emu and not the ds. Haven't had to dldi patch anything, just drag and drop with the latest r4ds software.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 09:22:05 PM by Creepy_Smell » Logged

unbreakable
« Reply #65 on: October 01, 2007, 01:36:22 PM »

I still haven't looked for my id collection disk.  I really should, but I keep spending most of my time with my DS game of the month (or more)- went right from Etrian Odessy to Rune Factory.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 01:37:57 PM by unbreakable » Logged
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 01, 2007, 03:18:13 PM »

I haven't tried to get QuakeDS yet. I'll have to give it a try, though I doubt I'll find my Quake disc. I also haven't tried any emulators. I have played a lot of Arcomage and... whatever the defense game is called. I also found a Crawl port, but it won't save. Which hasn't been a problem as I suck at Roguelikes.

Any other recommendations?

PSN ID: EduardoX
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: October 01, 2007, 07:03:04 PM »

Oh man, I forgot about Arcomage. I gotta go grab that.

As for what I own - I have the M3 DS Simply. Very easy to use piece of hardware, and combined with the fact that I can acquire the save games from the games I already own via wi-fi, it allows me to basically dump the games I own onto a single cart, and keep on playing the saves I already made.

unbreakable
« Reply #68 on: October 01, 2007, 10:51:11 PM »

I also find myself putting games I own on the SD card.  It's just so much easier to not have to swap cartridges, especially for those games I only play with multi-player now, like Metroid Hunters and Mario Kart.

How do you grab your save from the cartridge?  I would love to bring my Metroid data over.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: October 02, 2007, 03:12:09 AM »

Quote from: unbreakable on October 01, 2007, 10:51:11 PM

How do you grab your save from the cartridge?  I would love to bring my Metroid data over.

Here it is. Keep in mind this way of doing it isn't exactly easy, but it's somewhat simple once you get it all down.

Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: October 02, 2007, 04:09:33 AM »

Still messing with stuff but this is what I have so far:

Stella DS - Atari 2600 emu - Works OK for the little time I spent with it.

DS Doom - Doom port that works with Doom1/2 wads - Works fine with doom2 and doom ult.

DS Frotz - Text adv emulator (Infocom, etc.) - Main dev created a nice gui and provides packets of games for it (sci-fi or mystery set, zork trilogy, etc.) that all work with the gui.

Frodo DS - C64 emu - Its just crazy seeing C64 going up top and a little functional keyboard on the touchscreen. Works best with 1 disk games but I got Below the Root to save and load for some reason. Many 2+ disk games will play but won't save (Autoduel), but its a frodo issue not DS since I can get it to work on VICEpc but not FrodoPC. I normally see if I can play it on my pc's frodo first before shoving it into the DS.

NetHackDS - Haven't tried it yet, but its nethack!

PomDS - Apple 2 emu - Works good but very new and missing keyboard support. Seems to like multi disks more than Frodo but without joystick need a keyboard only game. Like Frodo, its has a keyboard on the keypad and also has 2 disk drives.

QuakeDS - Quake port - Surprised how they can pack it into the DS. Works great using dpad for f/b/l/r and triggers for strafe. Keys are configerable too and touchpad works as mouselook if you want to play that way.

SNEmulDS - SNES emulator - Works good but I've only tried the DK series 1 & 3.

Xrick - Rick Dangerous port - Seems fine but only loaded it to get squished by a boulder smile

Hexen DS - Hexen port - Seems to run as good as Doom port to me.

nes DS - NES emu - Works fine with SMB3 which is all I've tried it with yet.

Downloaded scummvmds but haven't tried it yet.

I've slapped a good amount of games on for my emus and have only used 1/4 of my 2GB sandisk micro SD card. Man these things are tiny. Mules could smuggle tons of gov't secrets in these things hidden who knows where eek

Can't wait for improvements to the emus. Especially save states for Frodo as that would solve same games not saving right if you could save using savestate instead of the disk save. I saw SNES has them but havent tried it. Unsure about others as I've mainly been seeing what C64 games work and getting my 2GB card up and running.

Played some C64 Gunship (one of my first sims) and got the engines on but don't recall how to engage engine so just sputtered on the ground. Portable Nostalgia +1 smile

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: October 02, 2007, 02:02:06 PM »

The only emulator I've tried on my cart is SCUMM. While it does work, it's kinda pushing the hardware beyond what it can properly do. Especially if you're playing any of the 'talkie' versions of the games.

Oddly enough, my phone plays it better. biggrin

ericb

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 02, 2007, 02:23:56 PM »

I have the R4 and love it...runs everything that's ever been thrown at it. 

Key thing about the micro SD cards...it has to say "made in Japan".  This should be a requirement...not china, not taiwan, not the US but only Japan.  These cards have been proven many times over to be more compatible and in some cases 3-10X faster.  A good 2GB micro SD Made in Japan card should be under $40 shipped.

EDIT: I know some people say it really doesn't matter where the card comes from but there are certain games that will not run on the slower cards (one of the Castlevania games) and certain homebrew does work a little better with the faster read/write speeds.  I could see if it the price was different but why chance it when the better cards are a couple dollars more at most.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 05:07:06 PM by ericb » Logged
unbreakable
« Reply #73 on: October 02, 2007, 02:25:22 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 02, 2007, 02:02:06 PM

The only emulator I've tried on my cart is SCUMM. While it does work, it's kinda pushing the hardware beyond what it can properly do. Especially if you're playing any of the 'talkie' versions of the games.

I tried SCUMM out a few months ago, I was very disappointed in the results.  Also... the games I actually wanted to play don't work on the DS (like "The Dig").
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: October 02, 2007, 05:09:32 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on October 02, 2007, 02:25:22 PM

Quote from: Destructor on October 02, 2007, 02:02:06 PM

I tried SCUMM out a few months ago, I was very disappointed in the results.  Also... the games I actually wanted to play don't work on the DS (like "The Dig").

The problem with the DS is the total lack of RAM (and a screen resolution that doesn't quite match the PC standard of 320x240) when it comes to SCUMM. Unless they figure out a way to make it work with the DS Browser memory expansion, don't expect the full compatibility of SCUMM on the PC and/or other versions.

And as far as the microSD goes - just make sure it's from a good company. Mine is made from Kingston, and I haven't had any problems with it. The read speed of the card does make a serious difference though, as the DS and games are expecting the standard read speed of the real DS carts. Depending on which device you're using, not having a fast enough read speed will crash the game.

unbreakable
« Reply #75 on: October 04, 2007, 12:58:38 AM »

Best place I've found to get MicroSD cards (or SD in general) is Buy.com.  You can get Kingston stuff really cheap there and it usually ships free (which is a huge savings right there).  Sometimes you have to do a rebate, but it's well worth it IMO: I've gotten a 2gb microSD for $15 after rebate: B&M is usually $30+.
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2008, 09:10:26 PM »

Arise!

Bored the other day I rechecked to see if some the DS emus have been updated. FrodoDS (C64 emu) has now been updated and save states work (File name is the FrodoDS52308.zip one). X button takes a snapshot, then to load it just use the left trigger to find it on the image list (game name.fss). So far the FSS files are all up at the top so I don't have to scroll down far to find them.

So far I've tried Autoduel, Below the Root and Blue Max and all work after a cold boot. For giggles also tried Gunship and while it works, its tricky with all the keyboard commands but I did get off the ground to die by flack. The other games are way more playable. Sometimes you have to click the Select button a few times to get the dpad to work again, but otherwise it seems fine so far. Joy!

EDIT: Link seems to be flaky now but it was working earlier so it should come back up at some point.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 09:18:12 PM by Creepy_Smell » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: