http://gamingtrend.com
September 22, 2014, 02:39:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DS - Does any game need the dual screen?  (Read 1149 times)
farley2k
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 06, 2005, 04:45:43 PM »

I am still waiting for a game which really needs the dual screen.  A few games have come out which really take advantage of the touch screen - games like Kirby, Ouendan, etc. but nothing has really used the second screen in a meaningful way.

The new Castlevania uses it for a map, and that actually seems to be about the most common use.  Well that is fine, but hardly necessary.  

I was hoping that the unique things about the DS would bring out some unique game development and I guess half of it has with the touch screen use but from what I see they should have made that screen bigger and dumped the second screen altogether.

JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 04:49:59 PM »

You could be right. I'm still waiting for Kirby to come out here, it's due in November, but it looks like the second screen is always used as a map.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 05:04:17 PM »

Sonic rush uses both screens as the actual gameplay area.  You can go up to the top screen and back down to the bottom one, looks kind of neat.  It is old school Sonic all the way!

warning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 05:13:19 PM »

Trace Memory uses it.  As you walk around in a top-down 3D view on the bottom screen the top screen changes to give you views of what you're seeing.  You can then zoom into that view and it shows up on the bottom screen.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 05:13:32 PM »

XX/YY or whatever it's called ued it.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 05:18:21 PM »

Now with those games would you say it significantly changed the gameplay such that the game could't be pulled off without the second screen or is it just neat and maybe helpful?

It seems to me that all the game so far could be pulled off without the second screen but it is a gimick to use it.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 05:33:58 PM »

Ultimate Spider-Man used the second screen heavily.  You controlled Venom entirely with the bottom screen.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2005, 05:53:20 PM »

Warioware Twisted and Yoshi's Touch-N-Go use both screens for normal play....

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2005, 10:01:51 PM »

Nintendogs, meteos, and wario ware all use it pretty nicely.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2005, 10:40:51 PM »

I think the new Castlevania game was originally developed for GBA and then switched to the DS.  Having the map up top will certainly shave some time off my playtime, but using the touch screen to capture souls seems like they kinda desperate to find some way to utilize it.

I'm still bitter that I have to buy a DS to continue my Castlevania quest...

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2005, 02:16:05 AM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
I think the new Castlevania game was originally developed for GBA and then switched to the DS.  Having the map up top will certainly shave some time off my playtime, but using the touch screen to capture souls seems like they kinda desperate to find some way to utilize it.

Just to be clear, you don't use the touch screen to capture souls.  At the end of each boss fight there is a little 'symbol' you have to draw with your finger/stylus that takes all of 1-2 seconds to do - not intrusive at all.  In addition there's quite a few areas where you have to carve out your own path by breaking blocks - and depending on how you carve it up you can open up new paths.  

About the only other use of the touch screen is ordering your minion to attach a specific enemy - other than that, there's not really all that much touch stuff going on.  Overall you are right - the map/status screen/touch elements aren't anything critical and could have been skipped altogether; however, I don't think there's any way they could have fit all of that gorgeous soundtrack or a lot of the graphical goodness on the GBA.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2005, 02:26:08 AM »

Quote from: "Dimmona"
Just to be clear, you don't use the touch screen to capture souls.  At the end of each boss fight there is a little 'symbol' you have to draw with your finger/stylus that takes all of 1-2 seconds to do - not intrusive at all.  In addition there's quite a few areas where you have to carve out your own path by breaking blocks - and depending on how you carve it up you can open up new paths.

Thanks for the heads-up.  It has been awhile since I read about it.  I am then assuming capturing souls is the same as it was in Aria of Sorrow (getting all the souls in that game took forever!).

Perhaps my initial impressions of the upgrades and whether it was originally started as a GBA title are a bit off due to the fact it is a direct sequel to Aria of Sorrow (unless that changed too!).

I need this game!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2005, 01:11:02 PM »

losing screen real estate to status bars, heads-up displays and maps (or worse yet, having to hit a button to go to another screen to check) is a pain. Since your eyes can only focus on one place at a time, i think it would be a pain in the ass to have full-on action coming on two screens at once.

it'd be neat to have the top screen used for rear-view mirror and both side mirrors, as well as speed, tach, etc, and the bottom screen used exclusively for driving. IRL all of those visual elements are "glance only" ... that would be ideal.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2005, 01:16:17 PM »

Quote from: "stiffler"

Thanks for the heads-up.  It has been awhile since I read about it.  I am then assuming capturing souls is the same as it was in Aria of Sorrow (getting all the souls in that game took forever!).

Perhaps my initial impressions of the upgrades and whether it was originally started as a GBA title are a bit off due to the fact it is a direct sequel to Aria of Sorrow (unless that changed too!).

I need this game!

All the real Castlevania fans have a DS and are playing it right now. slywink

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2005, 03:22:10 AM »

Quote from: "DiscoJason"
All the real Castlevania fans have a DS and are playing it right now. slywink

You bastard! :lol:

Maybe next week...